FANDOM

m (Chat Request)
Line 274: Line 274:

::LOL...Geesh...I feel sufficiently foolish at this point. Thanks for letting me know...lol. Regarding J7, OK, I'll try communicating with another Admin. Thanks...--{{SUBST:User:Just Sayin'/autosig}} 19:36, August 1, 2011 (UTC)

::LOL...Geesh...I feel sufficiently foolish at this point. Thanks for letting me know...lol. Regarding J7, OK, I'll try communicating with another Admin. Thanks...--{{SUBST:User:Just Sayin'/autosig}} 19:36, August 1, 2011 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Admin dashboard ==
  +
  +
Hi Toughpigs. Do you remember two days ago when you said that wikia had no plans to change the recent changes at all, because wikia knew that long time editors would find it really annoying? Do you fancy revisiting that statement now that recent changes had been utterly compromised by the admin dashboard?--[[User:Acer4666|Acer4666]] 23:12, August 5, 2011 (UTC)

Revision as of 23:12, August 5, 2011

See Adoption requests to request admin or bureaucrat rights on an inactive wiki.
See Spotlights to request a spotlight.

Please post new messages at the top of the page. Thanks!

Half Blood Roleplay Wiki

Hey Dan! So I've moved on from the Hogwarts rpg wiki, and have been helping out on the Camp Half-Blood Role Playing Wiki, it's based on the Percy Jackson books. We are working out a way to play Capture the Flag, and was wondering if that chat option could be turned on our wiki, it would make things a lot easier to play the game if we could easily talk in real time. Let me know! Thanks! --BachLynn(Send an Owl!) 22:40, April 9, 2011 (UTC)

Hi Rebecca! Chat is moving along, but it's not quite ready yet... I'm hoping that within a couple weeks, we'll have a version that we can start testing more widely. Half Blood Roleplay will definitely be on the list for the first test wikis! :) -- Danny @fandom (talk) 23:11, April 9, 2011 (UTC)

Our Brant theme screenshot

Hi, Danny,

Thanks for including the Our Brant theme on your list!

I was wondering if you could update the screenshot. I corrected an error with the darkened text box being too small on certain browser/OS combinations; your screenshot shows the text running outside the text box. Mistydemeo 15:56, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

Okay, I added a new screenshot. Thanks for letting me know! -- Danny@fandom (talk) 16:58, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

Adoption

Hey Danny, I'm not going to be editing or anything on Wikia anymore so I was wondering if I should put Little House up for adoption. There's no community on the site (as with any of the wikis I've made) so there's no one to take over it right now... thanks Muppets101 (talk) 18:28, October 26, 2010 (UTC)

Yeah, if you want, you can write to the community support folks at Special:Contact and they'll be able to help you out. I'm sorry you won't be around anymore -- is everything okay? -- Danny@fandom (talk) 18:37, October 26, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks, I'll do that. Everything's fine, I'm just tired of being the only active person on most of the projects I've worked on, which is really frustrating and boring. I've advertised projects and stuff I've worked on to death, so I must just have some wiki albatross around my neck. thanks Muppets101 (talk) 18:56, October 26, 2010 (UTC)
Hey Danny, sorry to bug you again. I used the Special:Contact form a couple of days ago but still haven't heard anything back yet. Any idea how long that might take? thanks... Muppets101 (talk) 17:44, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

Achievements

Hello, you recently activated Achievements over at OgreLair.org (thanks, by the way), and I was wondering if there was a clear cut guide anywhere or if you could provide a list of articles that I can get to to customize our achievements, ala Red Dead Wiki?   Hooper   talk    contribs    email   20:56, July 6, 2010 (UTC)

Nevermind. Figured it out.   Hooper   talk    contribs    email   22:03, July 6, 2010 (UTC)

"Create a New Article"

Is there a way to disable the "create a new article" pop-up on my wiki, Children's Books Wiki? I had already made a system where users got a basic layout – see this page. I want to keep this, because we've got three different sort of articles, each with its own headings. It's really confusing for the user to select either "standard layout" or "blank page" only to be told that they need to do something else as well. So, please could I disable it? Thanks, Bethel23 (talk) 20:56, February 17, 2010 (UTC)

Sure, no problem! I turned it off. -- Danny@fandom (talk) 21:19, February 17, 2010 (UTC)
Thank you very much. Bethel23 (talk) 08:04, February 18, 2010 (UTC)

DC and Third Turn numbers

That's a bizarre edit, I never touched those numbers. Unless I was editing an old version by mistake, all I did was add Dragon Ball and try to avoid random column lengths. Vetinari(Appointment) 03:23, February 5, 2010 (UTC)

Yeah, weird. Well, no worries. :) -- Danny@fandom (talk) 03:49, February 5, 2010 (UTC)

actually I didn't

Nice change, but I said there was a way to change the colour of the stickies. --Zapwire 22:32, January 13, 2010 (UTC)

RE:CommunityStickies

Thanks so much for the message! To be honest I'd totally forgotten, but I'll make sure to get up to speed on the weekend. Cheers and thanks again. A F K sig 2 A F K When Needed 22:28, January 13, 2010 (UTC)

Will do :-) A F K sig 2 A F K When Needed 22:36, January 13, 2010 (UTC)

Re: CommunityStickies

Thanks for letting me know. - Brandon Rhea (talk) 22:00, January 13, 2010 (UTC)

Request

Why users doesn't have to request a Wiki any longer to create one? Gruß, BobaCartman (Diskussion) 20:55, January 13, 2010 (UTC)

As Wikia gets bigger and busier, the old requests system broke down -- we didn't have the capacity to read every request as they came in, so it was taking longer and longer for people to get their wikis made. Now that we've got the new Create Wiki process, people don't have to wait for days when they're trying to start a wiki; they can just get started right away. -- Danny@fandom (talk) 21:06, January 13, 2010 (UTC)

MyHome

Hi, how do I disable MyHome for me or a wiki I admin?... Klow 18:29, December 4, 2009 (UTC)

You can disable the redirect from the main page for yourself by going to your preferences -- it's in Misc, at the bottom of the list. You can't disable My Home for your wiki. My Home is a useful feature that really helps new editors a lot -- we've found that it increases the chances of editors coming back and making more edits. Let me know if you have more questions! -- Danny@fandom (talk) 20:08, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for the tip! But I just hate MyHome, sorry. Klow 21:06, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
Well, that's kind of a shame for the other people on your wiki. I understand that you don't like it, but if it helps other people on the site, then removing it is harmful to your community. -- Danny@fandom (talk) 22:20, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
Well it's there, anyone can use it if they are please, I just don't use it personally. I have my old wiki habits. Klow 22:54, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
You added some code to the JS on Half-Life that removed the ability of anyone on your wiki to use My Home. That's bad for the other editors on your wiki. -- Danny@fandom (talk) 22:56, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
I removed it, since I didn't really know what I was doing. Klow 23:07, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
Oh, good! I'm glad to hear it. Like I said -- if you want to disable the redirect for yourself, then you can do that in your preferences. Let me know if you have any questions about My Home; I'm happy to help you out. -- Danny@fandom (talk) 23:16, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
I only disabled for myself. And thanks! ;-) Klow 23:18, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
Cool, rock on! -- Danny@fandom (talk) 23:21, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
Hey is it possible to have the short link of the wiki to redirect to the main page instead of my home for all users? I see Wookieepedia did it. Klow 20:06, December 7, 2009 (UTC)

The redirect to My Home is an important part of the feature. The redirect only happens for logged-in users who go to the short link, and who don't have the redirect disabled in their preferences. The main page is seen by all anonymous readers, and anyone who follows a link or bookmark to the Main Page.

About 65% of all pageviews on My Home come from the redirect -- that's the first introduction to the feature for new people. Having My Home turned on without the redirect basically means that only experienced users will ever see My Home. That would defeat the purpose of the feature to a large extent -- it's helpful for experienced users, but it's specifically targeted to help new people.

As Kyle said on the Central blog last week, "we believe that these hacks are a bad idea and we may need to disallow them at some point in the future. " That includes interfering with the redirect and the activity feed widget. -- Danny@fandom (talk) 22:54, December 7, 2009 (UTC)

Ok well as long as the anons are directed toward the main page, I guess it's ok! Klow 23:17, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
Yeah, absolutely -- My Home is only there for logged-in users. -- Danny@fandom (talk) 23:19, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
Ok good! Klow 23:35, December 7, 2009 (UTC)

unblock tsepelcory on muppetwiki

Can you unblock me on Muppets Wiki? --TSEPELCORY 00:34, November 24, 2009 (UTC)

hi

Hi Danny, you pinged me on IRC but I wasn't home at the time. If you're available, I am around now. --User? 02:12, October 21, 2009 (UTC)

Hi! No problem -- I wanted to ask you about something if you were around, but you weren't, so I figured it out another way. Sorry for the random ping, and thanks for getting back to me! -- Danny@fandom (talk) 05:21, October 21, 2009 (UTC)

Rich Text Editor

Hello! I am w:c:bleach: User:WhiteStrike and I wnated to ask you if there was a way to disable the Rich Text Editor for the Bleach Wiki site. It has been causing problems with user edits as it changes template parameters. An example of this can be found in the history of the Episodes page. Is there a way to disable it or at least for it to be disable on certain pages? thank you for your time and hope that this is something that you may be able to help us with. WhiteStrike 02:17, 31 August 2009 (UTC)

Yeah, I've been having similar problems on Muppet Wiki with some complicated templates. As far as I can tell, the RTE isn't actually messing up the pages -- it just changes the way the template looks. I'll talk to someone about this tomorrow, and I'll see if we can come up with a solution that helps. Thanks for asking me about it; I'll get back to you soon! -- Danny@fandom (talk) 03:20, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
Danny thank you so much for your help this was driving me crazy for a while I kept thinking that it was just someone messing with the parameters until I took a long hard look at it and saw that the problem was being caused by the RTE. I'm going with the magic word for the time being I tested it and it seems to work just like you said, I really didn't want to disable the RTE since I kind of figured that many people find it useful. Once again thanks for your time and help. WhiteStrike 23:50, 31 August 2009 (UTC)

Archive

Your name is Danny and my name is Danny!

P.S. i hope it's appropriate to write this here

if not sorry. Monster2821 00:42, September 17, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, this is bseker from we rule.

I didn't know you had an affiliation with wikia. That's pretty cool.

The "We Rule" page has very good information. It took a while for me to find it on google though.

Here's my problem:

I can't load you on my We rule app anymore. Everytime I do that my app crashes. I wonder if it's one of the latest buildings you bought or something else.

204.10.192.7 19:32, October 1, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, this is bseker from we rule.

I didn't know you had an affiliation with wikia. That's pretty cool.

The "We Rule" page has very good information. It took a while for me to find it on google though.

Here's my problem:

I can't load you on my We rule app anymore. Everytime I do that my app crashes. I wonder if it's one of the latest buildings you bought or something else.

Bseker 19:35, October 1, 2010 (UTC)

Test

test

Hey there

I see you haven't a Lostpedia theme sample not yet ;) --Station7 11:05, October 22, 2010 (UTC)

You're right, thanks for reminding me! It's beautiful, too -- that's a great theme. :) -- Danny@fandom (talk) 16:10, October 22, 2010 (UTC)

Another theme missing

I miss the 24 theme here ;) I hope you can put it there. Greetings, --Station7 17:03, October 26, 2010 (UTC)

Oh, that one is great! Thanks! -- Danny@fandom (talk) 17:19, October 26, 2010 (UTC)

You rock Toughpigs :) --Station7 17:45, October 26, 2010 (UTC)

Advertisements

Hello Danny, I've come across a topic on a wiki where you said you can block certain ads. Now there's a gaming wiki that I edit and the publisher of that game gives more fansite support to websites that block gaming adverts.
So my question is, is it's possible to block gaming adverts on a wikia? ElfAnurin17:34, November 8, 2010 (UTC)

Hi! Can you send this request through the contact form? The community support team will be able to answer your question. Thanks! -- Danny@fandom (talk) 17:37, November 8, 2010 (UTC)
Ok will do. :) ElfAnurin 18:05, November 8, 2010 (UTC)
I've not received a response from the team yet ElfAnurin 16:20, November 12, 2010 (UTC)

New Features Question

I have a few questions concerning the upcoming read more images and category images.

1) Will they be optional?

2) If not will deleting all categories get rid of them?

I don't want to be one of the constant complainers but this change will do so much harm to my wiki that I just cannot have it on there--God (Pray) 23:13, December 1, 2010 (UTC)

Actually, I have a question for you... Which wiki are you concerned about? I know that you're on Bleach -- I'm looking at it there, and I'm not sure I understand the terrible harm that it's doing. Can you tell me more about how these features will harm your wiki? -- Danny@fandom (talk) 23:22, December 1, 2010 (UTC)
I am concerned for Ninja Gaiden Wiki. Most of the pages are utterly unorganized, especially the NES generation. If we have pictures, they are not very good and I am trying to rebuild them. Some pages in categories are very well constructed while others are horrendous. The items category has a few good pages but for the most part are barely a sentence. It would be bad for these pages to be linked to. Many pages are currently locked to prevent editing as well while I try and adapt them to a new manual of style. I don't users seeing these pages until they are completed. Many of our images are a fixed size as well and stretching them to the size of those boxes would blur them and make them look even worse. I just don't see any good coming of these changes for my site--God (Pray) 00:14, December 2, 2010 (UTC)
Danny: FYI, I left a message on the blog about this "feature" w/r/t FFXIclopedia. --GAHOO t/ c 18:57, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Help me please

Do you know of any staff that can help me deal with the Fantendo sysop, Cobweb? He banned me for no reason and I want action taken.

X-Rocky 22:40, December 4, 2010 (UTC)X-Rocky

Yeah, please write to the community support team using the contact form. -- Danny@fandom (talk) 18:27, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Bugs on monobook

http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Sannse#Bugs_on_monobook

whats the deal

hey buddy, this new feature is terribly distracting on new wiki's and it really doesnt help (at all) when the content of a page is shorter than three giant pictures (or ball of text) at the bottom. Plus the pages displayed arent really related, it seems to be based on page views more than anything. It is also a problem when the content is unexpandable, on barsoom.wikia.com the content is derived from the eleven (12 some say) martian books of edgar rice burroughs. He is dead now, there will never be any more information on pages like U-Gor, and these features seem to be punishing us because we are NOT writing fanfiction or using unapproved artwork. You know there was a time when wikia was used for the transportation of information, and now this just seems to be the transportation of images. What was wrong with the category pages? was it unacceptable that people had to read? did they really need picture (seemingly based on pageview) to help them navigate. Here is something you may not have realized, if people cannot read they probably cannot even get to a wikia page. ralok 10:31, December 8, 2010 (UTC)

here is a solution, make this something that individual wikis have to ENABLE, make it so the administrator has to click a little white box and then poof, this new feature is here. Dont just thrust it onto every wiki, that is bad policy to ignore the people who use your website system. It certainly didnt serve the developers of star wars galaxies well to completely ignore its userbase. ralok 10:34, December 8, 2010 (UTC)

also i want to say it looks really nice on the wikis with longer pages, its the wikis with shorter pages that i am concerned about. And i understand the difficulty, trying to please everyone more often than not you end up pleasing no-one, but in this instance everyone can be pleased. So why not please everyone, make it a feature that needs to be ENABLED by administrators, rather than a feature that has t o be disabled. And the wiki so far that i like it best on is the fallout wiki, mostly because almost every article has a picture, that helps. ralok 00:21, December 9, 2010 (UTC)

Christmas Specials Wiki

Hello, Currently, on the Christmas Specials Wiki, our admin has been inactive for the past month. Now that it is the Christmas season, we need some admin to help prevent spam and for general upkeep. I was declined an adoption request, but told by Brandon Rhea to ask you here for admin rights for both myself and fellow user JermeyCreek. We are by far the most active members and I have had administration experience on several other wikis. Thank you very much! Jack5555 18:13, December 11, 2010 (UTC)

hello

Just wanted to say, you're rockin', Daniel Danny! -BRAINULATOR9 (TALK) 23:52, March 4, 2011 (UTC)

Re

I am not happy with wikia. I am suing wikia for $10,000 for deleting my account on GTA Wiki. See you in court......................................................

Danny,

Barbara Eden did NOT appear in the new Muppets Movie.She confirms it on her website www.barbaraeden.com

in her news page.I edited her name out of the cameo list on the Muppet Movie news, but someone put it back again.I have removed it again, but am wondering if this is going to go around in circles or if an edit can become permanent?

Regards,

Peter

Old and new look

Hey there Mr. Toughpigs. It's me again :D Could you get a screenshot of the old and new look of the Prison Break Wikia? ;) --Station7 16:22, April 20, 2011 (UTC)

Chat Problem

I can't seem to send messages by hitting enter.    ǝsʞpɐןǝ  (message wall)  16:58, 25/05/2011

Oh! Weird. Thanks for telling me; let's figure out what's going on... Right now, I'm seeing three messages in the chat that say "Eladkse has left the chat", but you're still in the user list. A couple questions: What browser are you using? Also, are you using any of the chat hacks that Monchoman made? -- Danny @fandom (talk) 17:03, May 25, 2011 (UTC)
Hey. The reason it keeps showing I've left the chat is because I'm refreshing the page to see if I can get it to work (Funnily enough, I can't see those messages). I'm using Firefox 3.6, and am not using Moncho's hacks.    ǝsʞpɐןǝ  (message wall)  17:04, 25/05/2011
Okay, thanks for the info. We're looking at some of the tweaks we did yesterday to figure out what's going on. I really appreciate the heads-up, sorry it's acting screwy right now! Let me know if anything changes. -- Danny @fandom (talk) 17:12, May 25, 2011 (UTC)

Yay! All working again!    ǝsʞpɐןǝ  (message wall)  10:12, 26/05/2011

Awesome! I think we got things back under control. Sorry for the confusion! -- Danny @fandom (talk) 16:50, May 26, 2011 (UTC)

Excuse me, Danny. But please do NOT send me or others unsolicited and suspicious links via e-mail.

Possible phishing attempt

Whether an unscrupulous or irresponsible web safety on your part, it is entirely unacceptable and inappropriate and you should take responsibility of your account.

I checked the URL with my virus scanner and its definitely an unsafe link.

I'm posting this here so that others are warned.

Do NOT click on any random links sent in a manner like this. --User? 11:01, August 1, 2011 (UTC)

Charitwo -- I didn't send this. A spambot hacked my account. I wouldn't send stuff like that out! Sorry for the inconvenience. -- Danny @fandom (talk) 16:41, August 1, 2011 (UTC)

Chat Request

Hey Danny, Just Sayin' from Lostpedia here...Thanks for your message on my talk page. I did leave a message for Jabrwocky7 yesterday to see if we can get the Chat Feature. Haven't heard anything back yet. But, I did notice My Tool bar, where I discovered "Wikia Labs" has disappeared and the link to the page no longer works. Is this just coincidence? Or did I open up an idea that is being discouraged by our Adminstrators? I have noticed we don't have several of the new features on Lostpedia. Maybe there's a legit reason for this...just wondering why we're not participating. Any ideas? Would rather know what's going on vs. being left in the dark. Thanks! 76.16.234.245 19:18, August 1, 2011 (UTC)

Hi! I left a message for you on your Lostpedia talk page... There are some other admins who have been around recently; Jabrwocky7 hasn't been on the wiki for about a week. You're not seeing the toolbar cause you're not logged in -- log in and it'll be back! :) -- Danny @fandom (talk) 19:28, August 1, 2011 (UTC)
LOL...Geesh...I feel sufficiently foolish at this point. Thanks for letting me know...lol. Regarding J7, OK, I'll try communicating with another Admin. Thanks...--{{SUBST:User:Just Sayin'/autosig}} 19:36, August 1, 2011 (UTC)

Admin dashboard

Hi Toughpigs. Do you remember two days ago when you said that wikia had no plans to change the recent changes at all, because wikia knew that long time editors would find it really annoying? Do you fancy revisiting that statement now that recent changes had been utterly compromised by the admin dashboard?--Acer4666 23:12, August 5, 2011 (UTC)

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.