(DBFanon needs your help... again.)
Line 1,185: Line 1,185:

Can you help? -[[User:NomadMusik|NomadMusik]]

Can you help? -[[User:NomadMusik|NomadMusik]]
  +
  +
  +
  +
Aditional details: I must mention that PTSN knows how to change IP and has done it to attack with random accounts around 20 times. Simple blocking won't work. Is there a way that we make him not be able to vandalize? This is becoming serious. [[User:Raging Blast|<<-Rage->>]] 22:43, January 5, 2011 (UTC)

== Mail ==

== Mail ==

Revision as of 22:43, January 5, 2011

See Adoption requests to request admin or bureaucrat rights on an inactive wiki.
See Spotlights to request a spotlight.

Archives

Please add new messages to the bottom, thanks :) -- sannse (talk)

IRC cloak request.

Could you please review my irc cloak request?Thank you, Monster2821

Unfortunately, I have to actually talk to you on IRC to fulfil the request (or Uberfuzzy). It's not a great system, because I'm not on IRC that much, but we have to confirm that you are the owner of the IRC nick as well as the Wikia one. I'm most often on IRC at the end of the day (San Francisco time) and it's worth looking for me even if I'm not in the #wikia channel - I may be elsewhere chatting with friends in the evenings, but still able to help -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:30, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Ninja Gaiden Wiki Theme HelpHi

Hi Sannse, I was wondering if you could help with a theme for the Ninja Gaiden wiki? You did a great job with the Bleach Wiki and I am not very good with design.--God (Pray) 20:58, November 25, 2010 (UTC)

Ooh, that looks like a fun one to do. I see you have posted on logocreation.wikia -- I'll catch up with you there -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:33, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Adoption

It's been three days since I asked to adopt Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy Wiki. Why is it taking so long? White Star Line234px-WhiteStarLogo svg 03:30, November 26, 2010 (UTC)

It sometimes takes a while for staff to get to that page, we have a lot of mail and other messages to get though, and not always that much time! I see that Brandon replied there, and the wiki isn't eligible for adoption yet... but don't let that stop you editing in the mean time :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:38, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Vandalism

Someone has been vandalising my wiki every day! He at least puts two pages on a day - and they don't even have to do with the subject of my wiki! Even after I delete them, he comes back! I can't seem to block him because he is an anonymous user that doesn't log in. How can I stop it from happening? My wiki is located at http://backyardigans.wikia.com. 13:24, November 26, 2010 (UTC)13:24, November 26, 2010 (UTC)13:24, November 26, 2010 (UTC)

The best thing to do is keep blocking the IP (you can block those as well as Usernames) and deleting -- and it's likely he will give up after a while... even if his IP keeps changing. If he uses the same title or the same text, it may be that we can block that... but persistance is usually the key in dealing with vandalism :-/ Good luck! -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:41, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Help Wiki

I can't edit even my user or talk page on the Help Wiki! I am unregistered, but I can't even leave messages? Come on! Wikis are for everyone!

---****--- Roads (talk) 19:18, November 26, 2010 (UTC)

We need to be a bit more careful with the help wiki, because it's automatically shown on all wikis. I'm not fond of restricted editing, but... I think it's right in this case -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:48, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Im sorry

But I need help. How do I report an administrator.{{SUBST:Template:Sniperteam82308}} 21:16, November 26, 2010 (UTC)

The best thing to do is send the details to us via Special:Contact. We try to leave each wiki to look after itself, even if that means some people are unhappy with how admins choose to run the wiki. But obviously there are exceptions, especially in extreme cases -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:51, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Hello

Hello Sannse, I'm Varkanax39. I mostly edit on the Custom Bionicles wiki, but I'm also edit sometimes on other wikis. I'd begun to adjust to using the new skin when heard on zeldapedia that monaco could still be used by adding ?useskin=monaconew to a URL. However, the user who had discovered it later reported that it had been disabled. I'm wondering if it still costs wikia money to maintain that option, and if it doesn't, why that feature was removed. I have a lot of respect for wikia staff, and while switching to the new skin was a difficult change for me, I understand that it was time for wikia to be upgraded and that maintaining two skins would be difficult. But I'm just wondering why the option to acess monaco through adding ?useskin=monaconew to a URL was removed, and if you could answer me, that would be great. {{SUBST:User:Varkanax39/Sig}} 20:13, November 27, 2010 (UTC)

That's good for a laugh, time for wikia to be downgraded is more like it. You won't get an answer, we already asked about this a few comments up and all we got was "Well wiki planned to delte Monaco so it's gone". They won't give you any real justifications to disable something that was working just fine. See according to them they don't want to maintain it, and apparently that means get rid of it. I mean if it ain't broke, it must need fixin right?--WhyDidntUKnow 15:15, November 29, 2010 (UTC)

The old code is mostly still around, but will get more and more broken as parts get removed in various changes and so on. It's still in the system at the moment, but won't be forever... we'd much rather you continue in adjusting to the new skin, rather than use this workaround to one that isn't going to work properly -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 02:04, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Well we'd much rather use the workaround to get to a skin that we like using rather then attempt to adjust to a skin that we clearly do not like using. I'd rather use a busted skin that I can actually read then the new skin which is unworkable. The work around may not work properly in every circumstance but looks SOOO much better then this new skin, it's worth a few broken links to actually get a skin that doesn't cause mind shattering migrains!--WhyDidntUKnow 19:09, December 2, 2010 (UTC)
I'm, sorry, Monaco is no longer part of Wikia.
On migrains: we changed the contrast and spacing to improve readability a while back, and that seems to have helped. Of course, if you find it more comfortable to make the text darker still, you can do that with your personal CSS -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 04:10, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Skin help

Hi, I was just wondering if you could help me with the skins of my Wiki. I know the new look was supposed to make it easier, but I'm completely confuzzled.  Green Introducing... Me! 10:38, November 28, 2010 (UTC)

What help do you need? I need to know more exactly to help :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 02:04, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Oh yeah, sorry! I had to go when I was writing this and I was going to come back and add to it, but it must have slipped my mind. But yeah, I would like a picture in the background of my wiki, but I'm confused because I'd like it to big, and you can't upload big photos, can you? Also, are you able to help me, because my wiki is very small and only has about 70 pages so far...  Green Introducing... Me! 09:26, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

I apologize for my impatience but its been five days since I first asked this question. Do you think you could get back to me soon, or at least tell me if you are unable to help?  Green Introducing... Me! 20:29, December 3, 2010 (UTC)

I can't always get to this page as fast as I'd like, which is why we generally suggest people use the forums and special:Contact
You can upload a picture for your background via Theme Designer that is 100kb or less. It's not the dimensions of the image that matter, but the size of the file -- and you can often reduce that by compressing and simplifying the image some. I've been helping some on the Logo Creation wiki -- that's a good place to put details if you want help with a background. Don't forget to add specifics -- we need to know exactly what you need :)
I can't help with your articles I'm afraid... I give more general help where I can, answering questions here and elsewhere, but don't have time to help create content too. Goog luck with your wiki! -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 04:18, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks! I'm not confused anymore! Oh - and I didn't mean I wanted help with the content, I just thought that I may need a certain number of pages to get help.  Merry ChristmasAnd Happy Brithday to Me!! 08:43, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Bot creation

Hi! I'm an admin on Charmed Wiki :) I was hoping you can tell me how to run a bot there ? Thankies! OracleForever (talk) 20:56, November 28, 2010 (UTC)

I'm afraid I don't use bots. But there are a few people on the forums who do, and who can probably explain more. Good luck! -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog)

History

The "view full history" option has vanished. What happened? --My Name Is Not Henry 23:07, November 28, 2010 (UTC)

It's still there for me... maybe a temporary glitch? The history link is also in the toolbar if you need it any time. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 02:09, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Leaving wikia

If the wikia community have decided to leave they have to find the host and setup a new wikia there. But what will happen with the old wikia? Let me divide this question into separate ones:

1) Blocking old wikia. It is possible to block (not delete) the old wikia so no one can edit it. If the wikia have move there is no need to change the old site. However, there is no need to delete it - the users may come back some day.

2) Advertising the new site. The active users will move to the new host, but the new visitors who will reach the old site via search engine using queries like Subject wikia may not know the the site is no longer active and everything and everyone has moved. How can I announce the new site is available? I can`t put the URL of competitive sites in the articles. But can I specify them in the community messages / new users talk pages / via e-mail from the old wikia? (I think the last option is allowed).
--
Best regards,
Teyandee 17:09, November 29, 2010 (UTC)

I can answer.
  1. The new wikia will remain. "If a community leaves Wikia for new hosting, the company typically continues to operate the abandoned wiki using its original name and content, adversely affecting the new wiki's search rankings."[1]
  2. You cannot advertise the new site, you will probably be blocked or lose your leadership position if you do. Dozens of editors have lost their leadership positions for doing advertising the new off wikia site, some have been blocked.

Below is the current list of editors who have been reprimanded that we are aware of, for the most up to date list, type in "anti wikia alliance" in Google.

Please note that some of this information maybe incorrect. In addition, the reasoning for the blocks maybe for more than simple opposition to the skin. Some of these editors are justifiable extremely angry about the new skin, but say some pretty nasty, unjustified things to the staff.

Leadership privileges stripped

World of Wikia
10 admins lost their adminship.[2], forum
simpsons.wikia.com
Admin losing admin rights by staff.[3] (restored later)
Admin on Oct 25 losing admin rights by staff.[4]
Grand theft auto wikia
At least 4 admins lose their rights by staff, description says there was some "mass deletions" in a couple of cases. [5]
PVX
Admin rights of 5 editors taken away then restored the next day by staff due to ongoing issues on this wiki.[6]
Talisman wikia.
Admin rights of 2 editors taken away.[7]
Micronations wikia
Nine admins desysoped by wikia staff: Old Admin team has left; clearing way for new team. [8]
Donkey Kong wikia
User:HavocReaper48 had his bureaucrat, sysop and rollback rights removed due to ongoing issues on this wiki [9]
Pikmin fanon wikia
5 sysop (2 of them bureaucrats) had their rights removed. Wiki team has left; clearing way for new team [10]

Editors blocked

User:Karate Jesus indefinitely blocked at PvX by staff.[11] This was later reverted with an apology.[12] User was then later reblocked. Users at PvX are protesting the decision. [13]
User:TurtleShroom indefinitely blocked on community central by staff.[14]
User blocked at stargate, possibly because of legal threats.[15][16]
Two editors on talismanonline blocked for one year by staff.[17]
User:Solar Dragon, and two other editors blocked for three months by staff: "Spamming links to external sites".[18]

Reverting banners and protecting pages

Since wikia keeps the content and will not close down a site, editors will often add external links directing editors to new sites. These are reverted by the staff.

Asheron.wikia.com
"we are leaving here is the new url address" reverted posting by staff.[19]
absurdopedia.wikia.com
Sitenotice removed by staff.[20]
Micronations.wikia.com
news feed indefinitely protected by wikia staff.[21]
Staff reverted main page link. "Reverting; community may continue here without being forced elsewhere."[22]
Wikia Simpsons
Staff constantly removing the sitenotice. Also removing it when it has no link to external sites, just a link to a vote.

Gaters.wikia.com has now been merged into stargate.wikia.com

I hope this helps. Anno1404 18:14, November 29, 2010 (UTC)

Hello...
1) How can they possibly affect new wikia ratings? I am the only contributor on the wikia. They are not going to do the SEO for old wikia, aren`t they? :)
2) :(. But if my account is blocked I can`t be sure that no vandalism will be done for my wikia. Teyandee 19:15, 29 November 2010 (UTC)
Answer 1
I did not write that sentence on wikipeidia, so I cannot respond fully. But the way I understand it, is that your old wikia has been around for much longer, so it will higher on google than a new start-up wiki. If your old wikia site is number 5 and your new wiki is number 10, the old wikia site is effecting your site negatively, pushing it down by one slot.
In addition, you will be in competition with that wikia for new editors who find the wikia site before your own.
Answer 2
Yes, if you leave there maybe no one to monitor the old site. What has happened with World of Warcraft wikia, is that the staff will come in and give away adminiships to existing non-admin editors. In the case of simpsons and micronations.wikia.com editors have claimed the same happened also, but I don't want to say for certain without seeing the links myself.
There is at least one case I know of where editors have advertised moving, and their has been no retribution. There are tens of thousands of wikias, so it is hard to monitor all of them. The big wikias seem like the biggest concern of the staff, as they generate the most advertising revenue.
World of Warcraft, the largest wikia, is a good example, Jim Wales said:
"We’re releasing a new version of the Wikia software [wikia skin]. We’re testing it on a few wikis...Currently, the most popular sites that we have are in entertainment and gaming....World of Warcraft is probably the biggest. That community has built a guide to World of Warcraft that has 80,000 pages on it. Just for that particular wiki alone, I think we see 4 to 5 million people a month."[23]
The concern for the wikias with the largest advertising revenue is probably why Sansse offered some concessions to WOW wikia,[24] which ultimately failed,[25] but the staff ignored repeated requests for the same changes from other, smaller wikias.
Small wikias have had the staff taking away their adminships, but that could have been because they advertised on Anti-wikia Alliance that they were leaving, so the staff became aware of the move. As I am someone on the outside, looking in, who, like you, has no voice in the future of wikia, it is really hard to predict what would happen to your wikia. Anno1404 19:34, November 29, 2010 (UTC)
I have no problems with the new skin. It's the democracy taken away from the users that makes me mad. Admins and Bureaucrats both have left(or have been banned from) wiki. Examples are: Piccolo The Super Namek (the pressure of the new skin pushed his limits) from the Dragon Ball Fanon Wiki, The Solar Dragon (banned for back-talking you, although, the new skin also pushed him towards his limits) and Smiley12 (banned for AWA) from the Simpson Wiki (which, BTW, has moved from wikia to ShoutWiki), and all Admins and Bureaucrats of Dragon Ball Wiki (left and created new website (thanks to person who payed all of the fees.).) The only wiki that has stayed and like the new skin is the Dragon Ball Fanon Wiki. Please, restore the democracy of the users. The Air Nomad is on death row.
w:c:talismanonline: moved a month ago; yet Wikia still leads google:talisman online wiki, even though Wikia's wiki is all but dead (attracting one anon editor apparently) compared to talismanonlinewiki.com. It's not easy beating Wikia on google. Another case in point: w:c:transformers: moved more than two years ago. Right now, tfwiki.net has 200,000 more edits, 4500 more content pages (12,000 vs. 7,400), and a community that is much more active than the Wikia wiki; yet the Wikia site still outranks it on google:transformers wiki. Wikia grabs your search engine ranking and refuses to let go, probably until Wikia goes bankrupt and the servers shut down. I do not recommend moving any wiki to Wikia, it will hurt your community if you ever decide to seek other hosting. --◄mendel► 15:17, November 30, 2010 (UTC)
Re:Answer 1
Yes. But if the new wikia is updated more ofther than the old site, then you can put the new site in the higher positions. But still there will be the proble in competition vs old wikia authors.
Re:Answer 2
They might block the admins on old wikia - I can`t let that happen. If I move on the new site I will need no edits on the old one, but I can`t just delete the pages on the former site - they will jsut block me.
As long as the whole wikia is not blocked, I think it may be dangerous to move. Teyandee 17:56, November 30, 2010 (UTC)

Whoa, lots of text...

A couple of comments. In general, we prefer not to remove admins or block anyone. Piccolo The Super Namek was mentioned by NomadMusik and is an interesting example. If you look at the conversations and blocks on that wiki: other users there decided not to move, and he went on something of a rampage with varied accounts. Of course that was an extreme case, I'm not saying that's typical.

Wikis have a right to fork, but users do not have the right to use the Wikia service to promote their fork... or to try to remove the wiki from use by anyone who wants to stay or from future editors. We've allowed notices to make sure that current editors know what's going on, but those should be temporary. Once the fork has happened, the wiki should be allowed to have a chance to recover -- which means possible adoption by new users, or existing users who want to stay becoming new admins. I don't know how well the forked wikis will do in the future, but we want to give them every opportunity to recover and thrive.

Teyandee, I'm happy to keep trying to help you stay on Wikia, I'm sorry you aren't happy here. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 02:34, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Sannse, I have to agree with you. Noone will allow anybody to adverties a competitive resourse on his/her own web-site. (Unless this sites are "friends" and just placed a banner). Nobody wants to lose the visitors.
Since Wikia and SW are 2 competitive wikia farms the staff will remove any links to SW (as long as they are not temporary just for notice).
Teyandee 11:47, December 5, 2010 (UTC)

Oh Sorry!

I didn't see that, I removed it.

Franky bob (Talk|Contributions) 20:16, November 29, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks Franky bob, I appreciate that :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 02:36, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

A Database Background :)

Amanda Young 02:59, November 30, 2010 (UTC)Amanda YoungAmanda Young 02:59, November 30, 2010 (UTC)

Dear Sannse could you please respond to this message whenever possible :)

i have just created a wiki for the Horror Film Series Hostel by Eli Roth and Quentin Tarantino :)

I want a complimentary background which i have already selected the image for.

Could you please supply the background for the wiki? please

http://hostel.wikia.com/wiki/Hostel_Wiki

That's the link for the Hostel Wiki

and this is the image i've pondered for the background of the entire wiki

File:Hostel chair-300x241.jpg

First comment has to be ewww ;) I'll try to do this... I've added it to the logo creation wiki in case someone can get there before me -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 02:42, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

If I wanted social networking....

[attack removed -- sannse]

Runescape leaving

Hi, over at the runescape wiki we've just started a forum thread about leaving wikia and moving to a different host. Just thought you might want to pop in every now and then and see how the discussion Is going or give us a likely/unlikely on some suggestions for what we can change around to suit the userbase.

Here's the discussion - Pharos 5 06:01, December 1, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks Pharos 5, I'll pop in there as soon as I can. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 02:47, December 2, 2010 (UTC)
Congratulations, a wise idea to leave Wikia. But I'm unsure why are you notifying Sannse about that, she already showed a number of times that she doesn't care of anything that local communities think. ~ Edward Chernenko <edwardspec@gmail.com>MediaWikiDumper 19:24, December 1, 2010 (UTC)

Edward, if you can't be civil and constructive, perhaps it's time you moved on from Wikia. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 02:47, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Lol. A blatant vandal is asking author to shut up because author "isn't civil enough" after you tried to destroy his wiki. Then go on and block me, I've said nothing wrong. Bye. ~ Edward Chernenko <edwardspec@gmail.com>MediaWikiDumper 06:43, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Indefinitely blocked for mentioning that Shoutwiki now has Monaco

Anno1404 ask me to post this:

Every time Sannse and the staff silence another editor it shows how weak they truly are.

The Wikia staff does not want the wikia community to know that Shoutwiki is now offering wikis Monaco.

Today Sannse indefinitely blocked me for "disruptive behavior". I am the same editor who successfully counseled another editor to stop swearing and apologize to Sannse (links on request), and have removed several pictures which several editors had posted which defamed the staff and argued with them that it should stay removed. (links on request)

I was blocked today because I posted this to around 15 wikis:

"Hello, someone on this wikia wrote on the [http://community.wikia.com/index.php?title=Forum:Anti-Wikia_Alliance&oldid=587256
Anti Wikia Skin Alliance] Moving page, that your wikia is moving. Please remove your wikia's name or add your wikia to the Moved Wiki page."
...Example:[26]
...On less than 6 wikias I posted something similar to this:
..."For those who miss Monaco, Monaco is available for wikis on shoutwiki, click through on the below link. Thank you."
...Example:[27]

Sannse deleted two more pages about the same time she indefinitely banned me:

Sannse deleted the former home of Forum:Anti-Wikia_Alliance again, which linked to the Forum:Anti-Wikia_Alliance and
Sannse deleted my forum question mentioning that Shoutwiki is now offering wikis Monaco, which was similar to this.

So, since I have been a moderating influence in opposition to this skin in the past, it appears Sannse sees any editor who mentions that Shoutwiki is now offering wikis Monaco and mentions Anti-Wikia-Alliance as having "disruptive behavior" and will be blocked indefinitely.

As much as the staff tries to suppress the fact that Shoutwiki is now offering wikis Monaco, word will inevitably spread.

This was never about the wikia skin, this was about editors having a voice in the future of wikia. Any veteran editor on wikia knows this skin is not the first last heavy handed change by the staff, nor will it be the last.

Thank you for listening fellow editors. (48,000+ edits on wikia).

<As for what I say, well, Sannse, you have no excuse for not readng this because you're supposedly getting caught up with al the new messages. After all, the staff are extremely trustworthy.> Legoace342Talk CC 01:15, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Just to be accurate: It was actually closer to 32 wikis (he edited 33, but one was a different message). A ban was what anyone would have got for spamming the same message on multiple wikis, but that's not really the point. Anno1404 is clearly not here to participate on Wikia any more, and it's not OK to use our service to promote another. I do understand his anger, and that of others. But that doesn't mean we need to accept someone coming from another wiki service to promote their "anti-Wikia alliance". The ban was set as infinite, but I'm certainly happy to review that later... if Anno1404 decides he wants to return (that is, a genuine return, not a return to promote other services or wiki.) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 02:53, December 2, 2010 (UTC)
Funny.. it seems like now that you are saying users shouldn't be on here to support the AWA, you are speaking in less automated-message language and more in English. But that's off topic.
What everyone wants to know is why did you make Oasis? If the ads on Monaco didn't get you enough money, why didn't you just change Monaco instead of trashing it and bringing in Oasis? Oasis does look good in some aspects, but as said many times before, it is not functional for wikia as a whole. If you and the rest of the staff would listen to people like Basilmemories, you could improve Oasis and people might actually like it. And if people liked Oasis, there would be no, or potentially less arguing than there is now. Wikia's wikis would not be scatted throughout the web. Can't you staff see? If you would just listen to the community, everything would be great! I know you love to think that you can make the descision for everything, but that's just not how things run smoothly. It's time you get of your high thrones and listen to the users who have made wikia what it is today. Legoace342Talk CC 03:20, December 2, 2010 (UTC)
On a personal note, Wikia meant what the skin was called before it was called Oasis. The Nomad is on death row.

HA!! Sannse has not responded for more than 3 days! I guess I got her to a point where she can't think of a good argument! (although, of course, that's pretty easy). @NomadMusik: ??? I don't get what you're saying. Legoace342Talk CC 22:45, December 5, 2010 (UTC)

• Sannse left the office a bit early on Friday since she was feeling under the weather, and the following two days have both been weekend days. She'll have a chance to reply once the week starts. =) - Brandon Rhea@fandom(talk) 23:08, December 5, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks Brandon, I'm trying to catch up some now (Sunday night, but... :)
Legoace, the only difficulty I have is in answering the same question so many times... I think that probably makes my tone sound more automated. But, answering those questions is what I'm here for :)
We wanted to do more than just redesign the existing skin. We'd taken that as far as it could go, and it needed a complete re-do. The main goal of the redesign was to make it more modern, more attractive, and easier to understand for newer users. I know that many existing users think that we didn't achieve that, and there's no doubt that there will be future changes to improve on what we've done (just as we were continually developing the old skin). -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 04:31, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
Oops, edit conflict. Anyway, I understand most of your reasoning, but you should have kept it mostly the same as Monaco, and experiment with it little by little, instead of completely redesigning everything without thoroughly testing it.If you did it like that, things could be fixed and there would not be hundreds of issues all at once. Legoace342Talk CC 05:19, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Thank You :)

Thanks for responding it would be so great if you could get this wiki up and going :)

and yes gruesome the Hostel films are eccentric with violence, characters, situations and ordeals.

It be a really wonderful wiki if it had a complimentary logo and background.

The articles are already and well truly underway :)

Thanks so much for responding

Amanda Young 05:28, December 2, 2010 (UTC)Amanda YoungAmanda Young 05:28, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, Fandyllic replied over on the Logo Creation wiki with a tileable version. I did look for one big enough to make a single image background -- this one was the best I found, but doesn't look like great quality. But if you want a background with a single image made from that, please reply over on the Logo Creation wiki and I can give it a go -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 04:38, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Galleries

1. Attribution. In real life, if you go to an art gallery, every single picture is attributed: elsewhere (e.g. print media), not so much. On Wikia, every thumbnail is attributed, but gallery pictures are not! Since a gallery is really the best way to showcase users' work, the lack of attribution hurts here. Could you please add it?
  2. Categories. Is there an easy way to make a slideshow out of a category? For example, we have w:c:guildwars:Category:User MTG, which is full of splendid guildwars-themed MTG cards that would make a great slideshow, but I'm not manually going to add 300 entries to a gallery tag. (A feature to start with a random picture instead of the first one would come in very handy). Having it automated would mean the gallery gets updated as soon as a new image is tagged with that category. (This very different from the Category galleries that Toughpigs is blogging about.)

Could you look into whether these suggestions are feasible? --◄mendel► 09:52, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

◄mendel►... WTF are you thinking of? Galleries were our last resort to prevent the stupid image attribution to appear in pages. We are switching thumbs to galleries to prevent the image attribution from appearing on pages!!! If image attribution is going to be added to galleries then it's time for us to create a template to simulate galleries without the attribution. --Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 10:07, December 2, 2010 (UTC)
Well, I'm sorta arguing it should be the other way around (would save you the switching in the first place), or maybe as one of the attributes on the gallery tag to turn attribution on and off. --◄mendel► 10:18, December 2, 2010 (UTC)
Okay, calm down everybody. --..Jeff (Talk!) (Contribs!) (Email!) (Blog!).. 13:16, December 2, 2010 (UTC)
Actually, if you go to an art gallery, the pictures attribute the artist. Wikia metaphorically attributes the person who hung up the picture or made a direct copy of it.
◄mendel►: If you feel attribution should be added to galleries, why not just add the names of the artists to the captions manually? It gets around the uploader ≠ artist problem. -- Deltaneos (talk) 16:32, December 2, 2010 (UTC)
I'm on a gaming wiki where people usually upload their own screenshots, so that's not an issue. I don't intend to look up every image that gets added to the gallery because that would take thrice as long as adding the image in the first place, and I'm not that much of a wikignome. The wiki software is clearly capable of automatic attribution, and when/if Wikia does add it, I'd have to go and delete all of them again. I'm not going to do that. Btw, my nickname is simply "mendel", the triangles are just decoration. --◄mendel► 16:42, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

I've tried using a slideshow here because we have a lot of these displays, and it'd save a lot of space if we could combine them on overview pages and suchlike, but it turns out the slideshow format is not very well suited: it doesn't size well to portrait, with lots of wasted space (and the autozoom is not very helpful), and the caption bar overlays the feet. I've also tried using a static gallery there, but that didn't turn out much better. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve our layout? I'm sorry if this is a bad place to post this; in that case, I'd be thankful for a pointer. --◄mendel► 16:42, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

On attribution, it's still clearly a controversial feature, so I don't think it likely we would be expanding that at the moment.
I like the idea of being able to pick a category though, I don't know of any way to do so at the moment, but I'll pass on the suggestion.
I like the format of the gallery at http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anton/Armor_Gallery personally, it seems to show the details well. I've not played with the feature much, but you might talk to JoePlay. He's working specifically on helping gaming wikis, and is more focused on content ideas and tweaks than I am. He (or one of those working with him) might be able to help better than I -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 04:54, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Same problem - different wikia

I am having that problem again with the infobox showing things that I don't need showing, I will send you the link to the template :) Please can you fix it again :D http://desperatehousewives.wikia.com/wiki/Template:New_Infobox_Character -- Julietfan2626

Hi, that wiki already has an infobox at w:c:desperatehousewives:Template:Infobox_Character, it would be better to use that (or a variation) rather than try and transfer code from another wiki. Especailly if you don't know the code well enough to know which bits of CSS to copy over :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:01, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
I know it already has a infobox, hence the name "New Infobox" the point of the new infobox is to have a totally different one to what we have, and I know how to use it and all, I just don't know how to make things stay hidden when they are supposed to be :) Pweez? -- Julietfan2626
Fixed. Rappy 09:06, December 7, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks Rappy :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:18, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Moblie skin

I have found the new mobile skin awful. It is impossible to view a page history, my talk page, my user page, or my contributions, any of the special pages, and my admin tools (On wikis which i have them). All you can do is read, and there is often a lot more for me to do when im on mobile wikia, then read. At least make it an option to disable it, like they have on Wikipedia. --Hockeyben 21:47, December 2, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, the team working on this are looking at options, but I know that the vast majority of people who visit Wikia via their phones are doing so to read. We wanted to make it much easier for them to read, even though that does make editing more tricky for the (very) few people who do that via phones. I'll pass on your concerns to the team though... they are very interested in hearing from people like you who did edit via their phones -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:21, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
Just give an option to disable it as they have on Wikipedia. That way, you dont have to tweak the mobile skin, and people who want/need to edit, can. Hockeyben 19:27, December 7, 2010 (UTC)
Adding the link to do that, and a cookie to hold the choice, will likely be the tweak that's decided on :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:32, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Width

Please do something about the Recent Wiki Activity and Photo boxes on the side of the page. It takes up A LOT of space and with limited width as it is, there is no purpose of this to take up even more. Is it really that necessary to have a box showing the recent activity and new photos on EVERY SINGLE article in the wiki? I mean really! Nexorath 09:47, December 3, 2010 (UTC)

The width of that area is set by the top advert. We wanted to move that out of the content area, and so move it into it's own area. That fixes the width of that column rather than the features below it (logged in users don't see the ad of course, but the spacing is consistent for all) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:24, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Hack.

One of the users of the Dragon Ball Fanon Wiki has said he was going to hack your account. As seen here. He can create multiple IP's, so this could happen. We need your observance. And to globally ban not only Piccolo The Super Namek, but all of his side accounts (Includes: Super Trunks, Kamipiccolo, Prince Vegeta., 900. 500., Rulerx00, (The x stands for numbers, like 8,) and I think Doom Z (correct me if I'm wrong.).) We need you, and possibly everyone else on every single wiki. The Nomad is on death row.

I don't have any worry about him hacking my account :) But I would strongly suggest that you stop giving him an audience by posting talks with him. In fact, I'd actually just suggest ignoring him totally -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:27, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Help!

Hi, I work on The Outsiders Wiki, and the other user there keeps undoing my edits to a page, not giving me any reasons why, even though I asked. Could you please help? The edits I make aren't vandalism, or anything bad, but she keeps undoing them. Thanks, Jenny Vincent the Greaser ♣(Talk to me!) 23:14, December 3, 2010 (UTC)

It looks like your edit was breaking the info box. After your edit, the box has "no title" at the top, and "no information" further down. Maybe you can look again at what you are changing? -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:35, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Banned for no reason

This user, Cobweb, has banned my IP because another user, Degenerator316, used my computor and my brother's account. I want to explain my situation to him, and I can't do it if I'm banned. I was told you have more Admin rights than he does. Can you help me, and if not, tell me who can? X-Rocky 01:13, December 4, 2010 (UTC)

Don't mean to rush you, but Cobweb is really being unfair. Can you demote him, if you can?

If your computer/IP are being used to cause disruption, then Cobweb is right to ban. It's sad if someone else gets caught in that ban, but he needs to look after the wiki. And if this person is using your computer, then it's someone you know and you need to talk to him about the problems -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:52, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Fraud

Sannse somebody on dragonballfanon.wikia.com has started to impersonate you.

http://dragonballfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Sansse

There are two major clues.:

They spelt Sannse Sansse

They have one edit and you have 22.

{{SUBST:User:SuperFusion/sig4567}} 16:54, December 4, 2010 (UTC)

I'd like to lol to that, considering the fake account has no power whatsoever. -NomadMusik

Indeed... Thanks for letting me know SuperFusion. The account has already been banned, and looks like it's time to extend that to their other accounts -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:56, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

what is with the category pages all of the sudden

Category:Comics

Seriously, there are big boxes now that cut into the space that explains the category, not only that one some categories the boxes are bigger than the entire list of subjects. And not all pages have pictures so its just a box of inexplicable text. it really is not a good change, it is seriously distracting. ralok 22:59, December 4, 2010 (UTC)

You would have to get confirmation about disabling it wiki-wide as far as the ToU goes. For now, you can add .category-gallery { display:none; } to your CSS file to hide it from showing up. Rappy 23:17, December 4, 2010 (UTC)
See User_blog:Toughpigs/Coming_this_week_-_Related_pages_and_Category_galleries. --◄mendel► 10:39, December 5, 2010 (UTC)
Ralok, the gallery will look better as you add images to the wiki... it shows the most visted pages from the category to display, but ideally they should be displayed with images. If you really don't want this, then we can turn it off... but I'd love you to give it a try as the wiki develops :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:59, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
This and this. We would like this feature disabled, please (and yes, we discussed it on the IRC).(ಠ_ೃ) Bully! 16:20, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
I replied elsewhere :) Thanks for the examples, I passed them on -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:34, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Forum Issue

File:Forum b4.jpg
File:Forum after.jpg

Hi, Happy Hanukah, I don't know if this has anything to do with the new look, but I have been having some problems with editing the forum index on my wiki. Every time I press "edit" the code changes, I have to erase what it says, then replace it with the correct code. I have done this several times already and it's been driving me crazy, even if I edit an older version and try to save it, the code still changes when I press "edit" I will include pics showing you what it looks like before pressing "edit" and afterwards. Thanks in advance for your help, and once again, happy holidays.--Sw9889 (Who am I?)(Have something to say?) 01:08, December 5, 2010 (UTC)

Responded on user's talk page on issue. Rappy 02:57, December 5, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks Rappy, looks like it still wasn't clear though :)
Sw9889, with this edit you put the table formatting below the format list - that seems to be what broke it. Although Mendel's fix looks like a good one too -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:19, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

A question

How can I change what it says when you first edit and you get a message from the admin. For example when you edit a wiki for the first time you get a message from the admin.HazeShot 01:32, December 5, 2010 (UTC)

Enter MediaWiki:Welcome-message-user in the search bar on your wiki and edit that page. Rappy 02:57, December 5, 2010 (UTC)

Skin recommendation

Do I allowed to recommend the Monobook skin to the my Wikia visitors? E.g. can I add the following phrase in the MediaWiki:Welcome-message-user:

We recommend you to use the Monobook skin as most of our articles are optimized for it. Teyandee 11:58, December 5, 2010 (UTC)

I would be better not to try to fit your articles to Monobook. Remember that most people who vist your wiki read while logged out, and so view in the Wikia skin -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:21, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
Yes, but Oasis and Monobook are 2 very different skins. Look at User:Teyandee/CJT while using both of them. It is very hard to optimize the articles for both of them. Therefore I want to optimize for one of them. So I want to make the recommendation to be sure that as many people as possible viewing the pages they way I wanted. Teyandee 17:39, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
Most people who visit any site are not logged in, and so will always see Wikia skin. It really is best to optimize for that -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:39, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Citation for external quotes

Hey Sannse, bit of a question. When using articles such as biographies from sites such as CBS.com, is it necessary to sitewhere you got them from? I'm asking because I'm working on a wiki for a CBS show, and I wanted to know if it was required.Thanks! --Reddude

(talk page stalker) Yes, absolutely - you need to attibute all quotations and articles if you've got them on your wiki -- RandomTime 14:16, December 5, 2010 (UTC)
To expand on that a bit... If you mean that you are copying from biographys, then you usually can't do that (except in a few cases where the content is freely available like Wikia's content - and then you still need to give attribution). If you are just using information from the biographies, and putting that information in to your own words... then it's generally a good idea to list where you go the info. That helps readers find other good sites to read, helps them understand where the information came from and how good it is, and it's polite to the source site. But it isn't a requirement and might not be necessary. Really it depends on the wiki -- a less formal wiki probably won't require the sort of citing that a more academic one will.... there's room for both styles. So on the Psychology Wiki, you would definitely list the source of your information in a formal way... but on a wiki about a cartoon, it won't matter as much and it's up to the editors and community how much they cite. Hope that helps -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:56, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

I might be allowed back?!

Hi Sannse, I am posting a conversation between me and you on the AWA Shoutbox. I don't remember typing it so I expect that you don't either. Nor is it the way I speak or anything. I am sure I don't use the term life-saver. Anyway, it might be amnesia and you might have the same. Here is the conversation. Read from bottom to top.

Solar Dragon: Thank you Sannse. Your a life-saver.
Sannse: Maybe, guys. I'll do my best to convince the other staff to let you come back.
Solar Dragon: I know. But Wikia will still let us come back after this blows over, right?
Sannse: I hope you realize that.
Sannse: Guys, this is really going to fail. This is no way to get your point across.

Thanks, SD 17:10, December 5, 2010 (UTC)

I don't know where this came from, it was not something I wrote. I didn't use the shoutbox, and would certainly have remembered this conversation (which doesn't make sense in context of the decision to ban you). -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:26, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Anti wikia skin Barnstar

Anti-wikia-skin-barnstar.gif The Anti wikia skin Barnstar
This AWA barnstar is awarded to Sannse and all other Wikia staff for making many wikis and users realize that Wikia is shit and to move onto other hosts or to become independent.

92.7.184.252 17:13, December 5, 2010 (UTC)

You got that right. Nice gif. Though I must say that wikia wouldn't be shit if the staff would listen to the community. Legoace342Talk CC 22:55, December 5, 2010 (UTC)

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
92.7.184.252, are you stupid? The new skin is awesome, and Sannse is awesome too. And, DO NOT HOTLINK. >SiPlus -talk -contributions_
12:15, December 7, 2010 (UTC)
I agree, get over it, anon and Legoace, no one else cares as much as you do. --Callofduty4 23:49, December 7, 2010 (UTC)
No, I'm not stupid. Just having a laugh. The new skin is shit although that is not the main reason I decided to act the way I do. I act this way because of the staff's attitude. If they just let us delete the wikis we want to move away, they should let us. But, no, THEY own the wiki. Not the editors who put the hours of work into it. The staff get all the money, often without putting as much effort into it than we do. And how do they react? They don't even allow us to tell the community that we left. Which is why we have to revert to vandalism and "spam" on user talk pages. This is why Simpsons Wiki is constantly vandalised (although I have to say I haven't touched the wiki in a couple of weeks). I hope that the staff realise what they are doing is wrong some time and actually listen to the editors instead of force things we don't want upon us. And Sannse, I reckon the reason you haven't remove the barnstar yet is because you feel proud to be given it by such a great wiki editor as myself. For the record, I never wanted to vandalise the wiki before you took my admin rights away. I wasn't going to harm it at all and then you did that. That was the final straw for me. I hadn't done a single thing wrong then you took away my admin and bureaucrat rights.
Oh, and if anyone reading this doesn't like the new skin, move your wiki to ShoutWiki. They are getting monaco!
Oh and Sannse, I managed to type this whole message without swearing at you or even insulting you I think. That is a great achievement. When will you be deleting Simpsons Wiki by the way as you promised me you would be? 92.7.186.176 20:15, December 8, 2010 (UTC)
Solar Dragon, I'm sorry, it's become very obvious we won't come to an understanding -- despite both of us trying over the last few months. I'm not responding to this. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:45, December 10, 2010 (UTC) well, other than that message of course
The star... it's only supposed to be awarded to AWA members! Anyway when will you be deleting Simpsons Wiki? after all, the staff deleted Solar's Test Wiki after that moved away. --122.57.248.210 07:24, December 11, 2010 (UTC)

Piccolo The Super Namek

The Dragon Ball Fanon wiki is having multiple problems with Piccolo The Super Namek, who repeadtly changes his IP to become different users. His latest attempt included impersonating you, but the facade was quickly seen through. He also created this site: http://destroydragonballfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity is there any way to ban him and not let him create other IPs? {{SUBST:User:SonikFan112/sig2}} 18:05, December 5, 2010 (UTC)

Along with that, delete this wiki, as it is pure vandal. Also, block this user, as this account was mainly used for vandal. -NomadMusik

Seconding this request. -KidVegeta

Seconded as well. The wiki needs to be closed, and the user globalblocked (maybe globalhardblocked, if that's possible). While I haven't seen the user, I've heard that they have been causing chaos on many other wikis. --Gp75motorsports REV LIMITER GT-PT/GT-EN/CSW 00:08, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
...The wiki? Closed? What doobie are you smoking? Unless you're talking about the Piccolo-created wiki, then that's a-okay. {{SUBST:User:SonikFan112/sig2}}

Hi, the problem wiki has been closed. Remember everyone, Don't Feed the Trolls :) That includes leaving comments on a vandal's wiki as several people did. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:35, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

@SonikFan: Yeah, the vandal wiki. Sorry for not clearing that up. =P --Gp75motorsports REV LIMITER GT-PT/GT-EN/CSW 18:28, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Self-hosting Monaco?

Hey, Sannse, I know there are still a lot of people upset over losing the option to use Monaco, and I might (might) be getting a new computer soon. So I was wondering if it would be possible for me to host Monaco on my computer and serve it to Wikia as a selectable option across Wikia? I'd be willing to take it on, if so. That way, all the users get Monaco back, and Wikia doesn't have to pay a dime for it. Of course, it would only be a personally-selectable skin, in the same way as Monobook. It might seem like a stupid question, but I'd be willing to do it, if only you guys allowed it.

Also, on the top bar, how many items am I allowed to have on each sub-menu? I ask because I want to add an option to create a new page there, so it would be easier for my users to add articles and stuff. --Gp75motorsports REV LIMITER GT-PT/GT-EN/CSW 23:29, December 5, 2010 (UTC)

On Monaco: No, that's not possible. I don't mean it's not allowed, I mean it really isn't possible... skins don't work that way.
The navigation bar as 4 main headings, and 7 dropdown links. But I'm not sure that a link to create a page is sensible there - it's in the sidebar anyway, so visible most of the time -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:43, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
Hmm, well, I tried. :(

That's good to know, since we had to drop a lot of sidebar options. Still, that's not enough to link to our other projects. Guess I'll just have to create a page for that, and link to it in one of the dropdown menus. --Gp75motorsports REV LIMITER GT-PT/GT-EN/CSW 18:24, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Monaco option

I have a weird option that says Monaco, which, BTW, doesn't work. How do I fix this? -NomadMusik

I don't understand where you are seeing this, can you send the details to us via Special:Contact? Thanks -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:43, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Check

How do you check an IP. Thank you Jake loves to draw and takes art request :D 04:21, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Staff can check IPs using a tool we have, but it's not generally accessible. If you have a problem, and need staff to do a check, then you can ask us via Special:Contact -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:43, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Bugs on monobook

The "thumb" and "frame" image modifiers no longer work on monobook.(ಠ_ೃ) Bully! 16:38, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Also, "upload a new version of an image" is bugging out again.(ಠ_ೃ) Bully! 16:51, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
Also, this is showing up on monobook here and here, and probably everywhere:

Read more * The Bruiser is an Unversed that is found in Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. Design A Bruiser is a lar Bruiser * Glidewinder * Yellow Mustard

* is a material type available in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. Shining materials contain the essence of Shining * is a material type available in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. Gust materials contain a howling wind fro Gust * A Recipe is part of the Item Synthesis system in Kingdom Hearts II. Found scattered throughout the W Recipe
If this is a virus, as it must be, please track it down and eliminate it, and if this is active on the Digimon Wiki, disable it there, too.(ಠ_ೃ) Bully! 16:34, December 7, 2010 (UTC)

EDIT: The virus is active on Digimon Wiki. It looks like you guys must have been hacked or something, 'cause I'm seeing this thing spewing random text everywhere.(ಠ_ೃ) Bully! 16:39, December 7, 2010 (UTC)
This is not a virus; it's an oversight. Wikia did not add the 'Related Pages' CSS to Monobook, for whatever reason. As a temporary fix until Wikia resolves the problem, add the following to your Monobook CSS file.
.RelatedPagesModule { clear: both; margin: 0 10px; }
.RelatedPagesModule h2 { border-bottom: solid 1px #d9d9d9; font-size: 18px; margin-top: 14px; overflow: hidden; }
.RelatedPagesModule ul { *display: inline-block; list-style: none; margin: 5px 0 15px; }
.RelatedPagesModule ul:after { content: "."; display: block; height: 0; clear: both; visibility: hidden; }
.RelatedPagesModule li { float: left; line-height: 1.4em; margin-left: 25px; padding: 0; position: relative; width: 200px; }
.RelatedPagesModule li:first-child { margin-left: 0; }
.RelatedPagesModule li img { width: 200px; height: 100px; display: inline-block; }
.RelatedPagesModule .articleSnippet { height: 100px; overflow: hidden; width: 190px; }
.RelatedPagesModule .articleSnippet:before { content: '\201C'; font-size: 70px; left: 0; position: absolute; top: 25px; }
.RelatedPagesModule .articleSnippet p { font-size: 16px; height: 80px; line-height: 1.25em; margin-left: 35px; overflow: hidden; padding: 0; }
.RelatedPagesModule .more { display: block; margin: 5px 0; }
This will allow the section to show up as intended. Rappy 16:56, December 7, 2010 (UTC)
The hacking or virus also adds badly-cropped images sometimes...oh. Well, that's disappointing. Wikia does realize that most wikis already have "see also" sections, right? How do we disable this feature fully on monobook?(ಠ_ೃ) Bully! 16:59, December 7, 2010 (UTC)
Again, you'd have to find out if it is against the ToU to remove the section wiki-wide. Adding this code, .RelatedPagesModule { display:none; }, to your personal CSS file will remove the section for you only. Rappy 17:06, December 7, 2010 (UTC)
Huh. I could have sworn we were told that monobook would be left untouched. Anyway, I've added the code, and the section still displays.(ಠ_ೃ) Bully! 17:28, December 7, 2010 (UTC)
You always have to refresh your cache after changing you CSS. Try hitting Ctrl-F5 in your browser and see if that fixes it. Rappy 23:31, December 7, 2010 (UTC)
This shouldn't have affected Monobook :-/ In general, new features may work on Monobook, but probably won't be enabled there (and if they are included, the should work there of course)
CSS to change features on Monobook are fine, as it's not the default skin, but I belive they will be removed properly from Monobook soon -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 02:14, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Trouble

Hey Sannse,

I work on the Bully Wiki and Bully Fanon Wiki. A long time ago, a user was banned for sockpuppetry, vandalism, and insults to a bureaucrat on the Bully Wiki. A couple days or so after the user was banned, another user came onto the wiki, he worked on a different Wiki with the same that was banned on Bully Wiki. He'd come to 'investigate' why the other was blocked, and he too insulted users. The problem seemed to be settled when both bureaucrats from both Wikis decided to leave it at that and simply stop the matter.

That was before the Bully Fanon started. At Bully Fanon, the exact same users edit as the Bully Wiki, so, a rule was made that users blocked from one wiki were blocked from the other as well, to avoid further problems. Another user showed up (different from the first two) and began to 'investigate' too. He asked personal questions to me, and asked why the two previous users were blocked. He was then blocked for meatpuppetry or sock puppetry from the Bully Wiki, I'm not clear which one. When I clicked on the link which had proof, there were many, many insults to myself and a bureaucrat on User:Seth Tomasino, User:The Tom, and User:Old West's pages, such as 'nut job' and 'bitch' and 'asshole', and many others.

Since the users have a history of sending out users to investigate, I believe they probably will send out more users. The insults are begging to get much worse, and they are towards me and User:Dan the Man 1983.

I ask you to please do something about these users, they are all on the Mafia Wiki. One is a bureaucrat, and the other two normal editors.

Thank you for your understanding and help,

Jenny Vincent the Greaser ♣(Talk to me!) 23:10, December 6, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Jenny. The best thing to do is usually just to ban them from your wiki and ignore them :) I see that the admin there now understand the problem and is dealing with it. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 02:41, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Please.. stop this massacare.

Stop changing everything without anyone's concent! The horrible category gallery was bad enough, then you give us a taste of a widescreen wiki for a few hours and it gets squished, again; then you bloody add even more advertisements in all wikis and now you've swapped everything and turned it all upside down. Why is everything on the left now, while some buttons remain to the right? What was your idea of moving a good, easy-to-navigate layout (for what it was at the time), to some sort of jumbled mess with forced 'Top Wiki pages' on people's Userpages AND talkpages and when they were all neatly placed on the right, they get forced over to the left and some become jumbled up. Honestly?

LISTEN TO YOUR COMMUNITY FOR ONCE... PLEASE. The remainder of the wikis don't really have the "guts" to move to other wikis, even if the move process is easy (most are scared of broken templates), but you are making them reconsider. Listen, do what is right and just tell your development team the truth, even if it breaks their "aww wittle biddy hearts". The layouts they are forcing out, they suck. I've counted over about 60+ wikis that have left Wikia, with a huge community behind them. Please, just make things right... You've already clogged in enough advertisements and cashed in some more income.. just stop making this layout worse and worse...god.

--THIEF 21:07, December 7, 2010 (UTC)

We've been doing some A/B testing recently, that's what you've been seeing. I'm not sure why you saw so many though, it should be less frequent and mostly be logged out visitors. It should be completed soon -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 04:44, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Read More problem

You know how at the bottom of a page it will say READ MORE with 3 pictures for 3 pages, how can i change those pictures.HazeShot 00:06, December 8, 2010 (UTC)

You can't; it's random. Rappy 01:21, December 8, 2010 (UTC)
It's not totally random, it picks from pages that share categories (multiple matching categories are a better match). -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 04:47, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

How do i turn off Related pages & Category galleries

I WANT THIS OFF OF THIS. Luma451 File:Murkekow.png 01:16, December 8, 2010 (UTC)

Please read above. It has already been discussed here. If you want it disabled completely, utilize Special:Contact. Rappy 01:21, December 8, 2010 (UTC)

B'crat remove

Hello, could you please remove b'crat rights from TheSlicer on Bionicle MOC Battle Wiki? I spoke to him about it on another Wiki and he told me to ask you to remove it as neither of us can.

Thanks, --ThatDevilGuy 05:39, December 8, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, please can you send the details, and a link to the conversation to Special:Contact, and we can look. Thanks :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 04:48, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Another question

On MediaWiki:Welcome-user what is @latest, what is @sysop and when you put the name of a admin do you have to add the @

@latest will choose the latest active admin. If there aren't any admins active then it will use the latest helper or staff. @admin will always use an admin, even if staff or helpers are more recently around. For the name, you don't need the @ -- just an admin's name. Don't forget the forums are often the fastest way to get help :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:28, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

A/B Testing

Something needs to be done concerning the A/B testing. Most users on bleach wiki experienced one of the changes at some point yesterday.. While some had positive things to say, I had a major issue. The entire day I had no sidebar, no wikia header, no hot spots or community corner on the wiki activity page and could not see comments on blogs nor could I write a comment.Also, I was unable to see article history. My ability to do things was severely limited. My guess is that the features I have described were a glitch in the testing system but it most definitely came from the testing process. For further A/B testing there needs to be an immediate way to opt out in case things like this happen so that the user can go back to normal editing in case something is screwed up or the feature they are testing interferes with their normal activities. --God (Pray) 07:16, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Godisme. This is the first A/B testing of this type we've done, and we definitely learned some things. This round is almost over, and we'll stop to look at the data and how the test itself went. In the version you saw, History" was still in the toolbar, but the missing comments were a bug. That's being fixed right now. I think an opt-out is a good idea, although I don't know enough to say how that would affect the statistics we gather. But certainly it will be part of the discussion about these tests. I'm sorry for the confusion, and really apreciate the feedback and everyone's patience as we do this! Thanks -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 23:48, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Category Errors

File:Error.JPG
File:Error2.JPG

Recently, on some pages across wikia. (such as these pages). Have been having problems. Every time I try to save a category, an error message appears, saying that servers are experiencing a technical problem, and that if I reported the problem, I had to include this:

PHP fatal error in /usr/wikia/source/releases_20101129/extensions/wikia/CategoryGalleries/CategoryGallery.class.php line 85: Argument 1 passed to CategoryGallery::__construct() must be an instance of CategoryPage, instance of Article given, called in /usr/wikia/source/releases_20101129/extensions/wikia/CategoryGalleries/CategoryGalleriesHelper.class.php on line 142 and defined

I've contacted wikia two days ago and have not received a response. Is this part of the A/B testing? Or some other problem? {{SUBST:User:Varkanax39/Sig}} 14:13, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Varkanax39, I tried using the categories there and couldn't get the error... are you still seeing it? If so, could you send us a screenshot please? I see your email in the queue, we are rather behind this week I'm afraid... I'll answer that way too to make sure you get my reply. Thanks -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 23:52, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

Update: Here are two screenshots.

Update: Now every page on the Mocbattle Wiki is affected. Only one page is affected on CBW, Rebel Destiny. I am unable to add categories to any page on Mocbattle wiki without recieving an error message. Try adding a cateory to the Shardak page and maybe you'll see the error. Other users, such as ThatDevilGuy, have reported the same problem. (See my blog post.

{{SUBST:User:Varkanax39/Sig}} 01:05, December 11, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks for these. I've let the techs know, although I can't see the problem myself at the moment. If anyone else sees this and has more details, please let us know via Special:Contact. Thanks, and sorry for the problems! -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:08, December 11, 2010 (UTC)

So how exactly are you guys measuring Oasis as succesful?

What metric do you use?User:KrytenKoro 19:46, December 10, 2010 (UTC)

The staff does not care about your animanga or kindgomheart wikis, all they care about is this: http://www.quantcast.com/wikia.com and the page views have been steadily going up, despite the largest wikia leaving (World of Warcraft). Until that overall number drops, they will continue to neglect editors. Worthlesspaul 00:25, December 11, 2010 (UTC)
Of course we care. If we didn't I wouldn't be spending so much time talking to Kingdom Hears wiki and others.
Kryten: As I've said before, we are looking at both feedback and data -- it's been just a few weeks with the skin on for everyone, and we've been fixing bugs and making tweaks already. The A/B testing is a new experiment, and one we'll be reviewing and refining -- and the same for the skin itself. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 00:54, December 11, 2010 (UTC)
Sansee, the data's right there and we all know the feedback. I seriously doubt it's going to get better with Oasis, no matter how many features you stick onto the skin. White Star Line234px-WhiteStarLogo svg 05:12, December 11, 2010 (UTC)
Ummm, actually I have been in some of the A/B tests and many of them I like(aside from the one with getting rid of the sidebar, community corner and hot spots). The wider width is very nice and is reminiscent of the way Monaco was. I have yet to be included in the left sidebar one but I would like to be as I have heard mixed reports. I have always favored a sidebar on the left. Also, Sannse, If I may make a suggestion, what about adding back many of the features the sidebar in monaco had. I know wikia is moving away from monaco but I would like to see create a new page and upload a new image be placed next to each other on the sidebar like they used to be.--God (Pray) 05:22, December 11, 2010 (UTC)
No, just no. Wikia sugar-coating the situation won't change the fact that Oasis is turning people and users away. White Star Line234px-WhiteStarLogo svg 16:54, December 11, 2010 (UTC)
The fact that they're testing improvements says they know about the problems and what can be done better. They're not just sugar-coating- That said, they could not possibly make these changes fast enough. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 18:19, December 11, 2010 (UTC)
They are not sugar coating anything, they are improving the skin but you are obviously one of those people who just cannot handle that. I have noticed that some people will not be happy no matter what until monaco is back. I am sure they could make oasis look exactly like monaco but until it is called monaco you will not be happy. Here is the facts, Wikia is making quite a few improvements to the skin. Of the ones I have seen they all look good for the most part except for the one I was talking about earlier. If you are not happy no matter what then just leave wikia. Instead of complaining just find your own solution. I am happy with the changes that are being made now.--God (Pray) 19:36, December 11, 2010 (UTC)
Then good for you. As for me, I will keep protesting until my site moves to an independent domain or Wikia finally caves with all the negative feedback.
That just shows that you are immature. Just leave wikia, no one is forcing you to stay here--God (Pray) 20:47, December 11, 2010 (UTC)
Whatever. And the only reason I'm here is because my wiki isn't done moving. The moment we finish, we're leaving this "Oasis". And hating some one just because they don't agree with the skin is just as immature. Here are a few fact for you: Traffic went down, pages are messy, editing is terrible, and users are upset for good reason. Did you even bother reading the links above?
Also, those "improvements" are useless or redundant except for the one that adds links to 'my tools". White Star Line234px-WhiteStarLogo svg 00:30, December 12, 2010 (UTC)
Two of those "facts" are actually just your opinions on certain aspects of the skin. How do you figure that Godisme is expressing hate on anyone? If anything, he's giving you a suggestion that will permanently solve the problems that you're having. Also, I'm not sure why you would want Wikia to cave to the negative feedback if you're just planning on moving to another hosting service anyways. :/ SAMSONIUS 00:38, December 12, 2010 (UTC)
It's not opinion if everyone else says so too. Then it's fact. The fact that he wants me to leave means he at the very least dislikes me. And no, I wouldn't leave if I had to, but it's the only way to escape this hellhole. And how do you figure his suggestion will fix my problems? White Star Line234px-WhiteStarLogo svg 00:43, December 12, 2010 (UTC)
Just because a lot of people say the same thing, that does not make it a fact. If 98% of the people that you talked to said that the moon was made out of cheese, does that make it a fact? I didn't think so. My assertion that leaving Wikia would solve your problems permanently was due to the fact that if you were able to just leave the problems behind and not have to depend on faulty design to do anything on your site, they would cease to be problems. SAMSONIUS 00:52, December 12, 2010 (UTC)
You know what forget Wikia, I'll leave. Laters everyone! I hate this place! :D White Star Line234px-WhiteStarLogo svg 00:56, December 12, 2010 (UTC)

(reset indent) The fact of the matter is this: most people aren't against Wikia; they're against the decisions they are making/forcing/imposing on its users. I have dedicated a lot of my time and effort on wikia wikis and I don't want to just 'leave/fork/rage quit' because of <sarcasm>brilliant</sarcasm> ideas Wikia comes up with. Wikia is coming around and trying to makes changes based on horrible decisions they have made in the past... I just hope it's not to late. Rappy 01:09, December 12, 2010 (UTC)

To the people looking, the metric to watch on quantcast is pageviews per person, ideally per week or per month; it measures the extent to which Wikia can get people to return and the extent to which it relies on new traffic via search engines etc.; those numbers are falling. (You can also use these numbers to estimate the "quality" of a wiki.) Since the stated goal of the new skin was to get new readers to stay on longer, from those numbers the skin has failed; it's a bit hard to tell because many active editors leaving Wikia would naturally also cause the average to drop. Wikia monitors other metrics via other tracking services, so they probably know more than we do, but apparently don't tell. --◄mendel► 06:57, December 12, 2010 (UTC)

The main other one we use is Google Analytics (and I'm very much hoping that they will be displayed publicly on wikis in the future -- but that's a preliminary project and it's probably too soon to even mention it right now ;) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:32, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

I'd like to post my opinion on this: Sure, this isn't the first time Wikia has pushed users away, but this is the most extreme case. I think almost every single user of the WoWWiki has left, which means a ton of users have left, which, in my opinion, is at least 2,000 users. Sure, Wikipedia's info isn't always accurate, but Jimmy Wales is the co-founder of Wikia. I know in the past Monaco has had negative reviews before, but at least most people enjoyed it. I do like Oasis, but, originally, I hated it. In fact, I was one of the people who posted at least one picture against the skin. But most people still hate it, and it's already been a month! "If only, if only..." people had there choice back. This is actually coming from me, and I like Oasis more than Monaco! Just listen, and please, don't ban people because they make links to ShoutWiki. -NomadMusik: FeLiZ NaViDaD! MeRRY CHRiSTMaS! HaPPY NeW YeaR!

Hello!

Hello, I'm @Seddie Lover, as honest is important I am young, but a teen. I am sweet, but not a coward. But can give good advice and some wisdom, Lisa? Pleeease.

Hi, sorry I don't understand your question -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:33, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Please see

Your input is requested at http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Wowscape_Wiki:_Ways_to_stop_this as we need a clarifcation onthe CSS rules. Please post there instead of here. thanks Noobs taste good And I'll eat you for dinner 03:28, December 11, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, someone wrote via Special:Contact on this too... so I replied that way. Sorry for missing this -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:36, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

WoW Cataclysm full page ad on FFXIclopedia

Yo, it's me again. I realize that Blizzard or someone probably paid a good deal of money to have WoW Cataclysm plastered on gaming wikis (for logged out users) but I'd like to ask that FFXIclopedia (a wiki for a competing MMO) be excluded from this. It's pretty asinine to put up a full page ad that directs people away from us. At least a few users have registered for the first time just to complain about it. We are also running a contest to create a new site background- but who that's not logged in is going to see it when we're advertising WoW? And who's going to want to participate when they think people will see that instead (even though we know it's temporary) I realize you need to advertise to power the site, but you guys kind of dropped the ball here. This is damaging to our wiki. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 18:16, December 11, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Tahngathor - I think it was you I replied to via mail... The Cataclysm ads are over now. I know ads for a competing game are not ideal, but often advertisers aren't interested in advertising to people they know are already playing their game! -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:42, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Who should I work with primarily on WoWWiki revival issues?

I've talked a bunch to Raylan13, but he seems to be answering to some nebulous higher authority. I've tried to talk with JoePlay, but he's claimed to be very busy. Is there someone else I should be working with? -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 11:18 AM PST 11 Dec 2010

Raylan is helping to add content, and to do some admin work. I'm available for specific support needs, and so are the rest of the support team. All of us are pretty stretched right now (and we're trying to get more staff at the moment, to try and help with that) but we'll help where we can. I'll talk with you more about this tomorrow -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 05:49, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

A message from Brian McClure

In case you didn't see this on his Simpsons Wiki talk page:

I'd appreciate it if someone could inform Sannse of my response, then she won't be able to use "I didn't know" as an excuse why she ignores me again.

I first discovered this site in early 2008 and it was in a mess. I love the concept of having a fansite where all of the information is collaborated on by a number of fans. Many fanpages are run by one person and leave much to be desired. Others, such as The Simpsons Archive, have fallen out of date. But with a wiki, there will always be a flow of editors who can improve the site. Anyway, the site was a mess, so I registered, and offered my services to help. And I slowly did whatever I could to help. I dedicated hundreds of hours to this place. But, I eventually gave up because it was just too much for one person to do.

Earlier this year, I came back and was pleased to see that others had picked up where I left off. The site still had a long way to go, but it was improving and becoming what I had hoped for. But, there were those who didn't share my vision of a collaborative fansite.

And that, of course, is those who run wikia. They see this site as a business, and the editors who volunteer their time and generate content are just chumps. It's very much like in 1984: Sannse and Sarah Manley and their pals are the inner party. The site-wide admins are the outer party. And the rest of us are the proles. We may work hard so that the inner party can make their advertising money, but they don't care about us because we're replaceable. We are proles after all.

So that group decided to force a new skin upon us that would be easier for them to maintain (so they could save money), and, most importantly, would allow them to include more ads. The majority of users didn't like the skin, but the higher ups just continued and ignored the masses.

I've put thousands of hours into this site, trying to help make it a place the fans respect (and most still don't. At one forum, users still say that wikisimpsons is filled with errors and gaps). And when I found out about all this and saw how awful the skin was, and that other users wantewd to leave, I decided to ask Sarah Manley for answers and reassurance. All I wanted was a response to know that she was aware of my concerns, but I was hoping she would give me a reason to want to stay. And of course she didn't. I always wondered why the wikia employees did so little to convince us to stay. But I've realized it now. They don't care if all of the active editors leave and this site never grows a bit. They just want it to exist so that it can generate money. They don't care about the editors who built it and they most certainly don't care about providing the reader with a quality site. As long as they view it and see the ads, it's mission accomplished.

So I decided, why should I care? Why should I bother with a site where I get ignored. Why should I bother with a site where I'm forced to use a skin I hate where I can't even figure out how to view the page history or find the special pages? The answer is that I shouldn't. I want to help build a great fansite, not throw away hours so I can line someone's pocket.

Sannse is right about one thing, "it seems time for you to move on from Wikia completely." I just wish I'd realized that two years ago. -- Brian McClure 05:26, November 22, 2010 (UTC)

Anyone can now create the Monaco skin with this download. Club Penguin wiki has Monaco on their site. Worthlesspaul 18:51, December 13, 2010 (UTC)
And it's available because Wikia chooses to make it's code open for anyone to use (and because Dantman was good enough to organize the download of course) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:15, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Brian, obviously I disagree with a whole lot of this - from the idea that we didn't try to convince people to stay (despite some very nasty abuse from some on Simpsons Wiki), to the idea that we don't care about the site. Wikia is a business and a site that all of us staff love and are proud to be part of. And we care about its success for both those reasons. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:15, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

DESPERATE for a way to opt out of mobile skin

I edit from an iPhone. So I have the mobile skin. Which does not allow editing. Which means after each page load I have to manually add ?useskin=monobook to the end of the URL. (even though the fixed width on oasis is less annoying on an iPhone it takes forever to load and some aspects of it (mostly fixed positioning) don't render correctly on an iPhone) Either is there 1) a script somewhere that adds the useskin code to the end of every page load, or 2) an opt out button being developed.

PS: I still think that oasis needs some massive changes but I no longer think it's doomed to the point of being irrepairable.

PPS: Please consider doing something about the WoW Cataclysm fullpage ads on RSWiki. It's very embarrasing to us to have our wiki presented that way (most page loads for anons result in these WoW ads), and Jagex isn't exactly happy that our site is being used to advertise a rival MMO. And they have also stated that we will not be receiving any higher level of fansite support than Silver Level Fansite (second level from bottom) so please think about this.

Template:Signatures/Noobs are very tasty 21:03, December 11, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, the link to switch the mobile skin off is in place now... scroll to the bottom of the page to change skins if you want to edit with your default skin.
The Cataclysm ads are done with now... but we can't guarentee no competitive ads I'm afraid. This is something we have talked directly to Jagex about too. We even suggested they buy the ads on Runescape instead... but no luck with that suggestion I'm afraid -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:22, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Jeffwang16 being an abusive admin/crat on http://chobots.wikia.com/wiki/ and this is URGENT action needs to be taken ASAP

this is disgusting (

1. blocking 2 legit users for "socking" just because similar usernames
  2. blocking an editor from RSWiki for telling him not to edit war on rswiki which he thought was bullying
  3. blocking someone for linking to the club penguin website (he thinks that people should be blocked for linking to sites he thinks are stupid as defined by his "stupidsiteslist")
  4. if someone does something he disagrees with he creates a policy against it then blocks him
  5. he has a "democracy" policy that allows him to override consensus
  6. he refuses to let people edit articles that others have created (is this even a wiki anymore?)
  7. there have been several desysop threads about him, each time he closes it 9"democracy policy allows me to do whatever i want and ignore consensus)
  8. "bullying" == 3 month block , Jeffwang thinks you are bullying if you don't invite everyone to every single event
  9. he forces people to use his prefered skin (aka anything but monobook) and considers it against the rules to use monobook
  10. blocking someone for 1 month for this http://chobots.wikia.com/index.php?title=Talk:Chopedia&diff=prev&oldid=3303
  11. inapropriate use of block log http://chobots.wikia.com/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=block&user=Jeffwang16&page=User%3AWill+k&year=&month=12&limit=1 (also note the "rubbing in your face" feeling of the block log interface)
  12. After ZamorakO o was unblocked, he made a soft redirect to his RuneScape Wiki userpage. Jeff made up a policy that no soft redirects were allowed, reverted it, protected his userpage, and blocking ZamorakO o for a week.
  13. Blocked TurtleShroom because he was "known for trouble" even though he had never edited.
  14. blocked someone for 3 days for accedentally posting a rfa in incorrect namespace
  15. blocks people for being "opinionated"

The lists goes on and on but I don't feel like wasting anymore time on him. If you can desysop, debureaucrat, global block people for linking to ShoutWiki wikis you can definitely do so for this. (make sure to debureaucrat first or hell just make himself an admin again, and block his bot and takes the bot rights away too. Thanks.

Template:Signatures/Noobs are very tasty 00:14, December 12, 2010 (UTC)

That's just not right. White Star Line234px-WhiteStarLogo svg 00:26, December 12, 2010 (UTC)
This was dealt with via Special:Contact and on the wiki -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:29, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Job

Hi Sannse, I love wikia so much that I really want to help so I was wondering if I could go on to other wikias and see if there's any problems going on and try to solve itThe Secret Agent 07:11, December 12, 2010 (UTC)

That's what wikis are all about :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:30, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

New Oasis layout

Hi there! I know your probably busy, but can you explain something to me? It seems that in these new December updates, the column containing the search box and all that has moved to the left hand side of the page. To be honest, it looks worse that before, so would be you able to tell why wikia did this? I have pictures by the way, sorry about my rubbish drawing skills... Thanks, Smuff [The cake is a lie.] 12:47, December 12, 2010 (UTC)

Actually, my local admin Callofduty4 explained that I'm part of the A/B group (he's a good admin). Is there anywhere to leave feedback? Smuff [The cake is a lie.] 13:30, December 12, 2010 (UTC)

Special:Contact is your best way to leave feedback. Rappy 17:16, December 12, 2010 (UTC)

Frankly I prefer that any kind of sidebar on any website is on the left side, not the right. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 07:08, December 13, 2010 (UTC)

Ladybug

Sansse, some troll left an abusive comment on my talk page, please ban him or do something. White Star Line234px-WhiteStarLogo svg 18:08, December 12, 2010 (UTC)

Looks like they stopped after this, I left a warning on their talk page -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:35, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Category Errors (Again)

It's been nearly a week since I began experiencing category errors. (See my above message). I'm still affected by the problem, and it's becoming a serious problem for me and is impeding my editing. Are there any updates on this? Also, whenever I save a category on a page (For example, Nevox, and add one category, in addition to receiving an error message, if you check my contributions, it shows up as if I've added three categories. Is this a bug, a database problem, or something unrelated? {{SUBST:User:Varkanax39/Sig}} 01:34, December 13, 2010 (UTC)

This is very strange... I've asked DaNASCAT to come and have a look, I couldn't get the error to trigger for me -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 06:52, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Theme designer

Hi Sannse. Could you please help me with the theme of my site? I would like to know how to make an image appear as the actual pages of an article, rather than just block color. See the Assassin's Creed wiki for a rough idea of what I mean. Thanks:) Jayden Matthews 12:31, December 13, 2010 (UTC)

You need to set the transparency of the background for that... it's not something you can do with the Theme Designer, you'll need to use the CSS page. I strongly recomend making the effect subtle, too much pattern on the content area makes the text hard to read. But done carefully it can look good (tron.wikia does it well I think). If you understand CSS, then have a look at Assassin's Creed's code. I'm not sure which is the right part to use, but someone on the forums should be able to help if you can't see it -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 07:09, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Disable Read More

Hi Sannse,

Can you please disable Read More on Canine Diabetes Wiki ASAP? Have been trying to counter-categorize but that doesn't work--it's particularly off on the choice of other insulin pages, which is confusing to readers. Have added my own sections re: related pages to most insulin pages now; they are quite different than those Read More picks.

Thanks!

We hope 17:44, December 13, 2010 (UTC)

I see someone got to this for you (probably via Special:Contact -- usually faster than me!) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 07:11, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Charmed Wiki

Good Afternoon, I am an administrator on the Charmed Wiki and lately certain users have been creating multiple accounts posing as other users. I don't know if you have access to this information but could you tell me if the following users have the same IP address? The users are:

GlennVP
TheBook
SonOfHalliwell
Johny Halliwell
Khan19998stevewhite

The exhibit the same type of behavior and attitude about things and I just want it clarified as to whether or not they are the same person. I don't need to know their IP addresses or anything like that, I just want to know if any of them share the same IP address and if so which ones use the same one.

Thanks!

D. Courteau

Hummm... does look as though there are some problems there...
Johny halliwell doesn't seem to have other accounts on charmed.wikia
GlennVP, TheBook, and SonOfHalliwell look to be the same person - I see from talk pages that at least some of that is just from public name changes. He also has accounts TheCharmedfreak, TheWhitelighter, Levicorpus92 and two that haven't edited that wiki.
Khan1998stevewhite, RusselHalliwell, Allyxx, and UYTR are linked accounts - likely to be four accounts owned by the same person.
And for fairness, I also checked you. Looks like you have a second account at PiperHollyCharmed
Seems that people on the wiki need to talk about using multiple accounts :-/ -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 08:01, December 16, 2010 (UTC)
Hello. Khan1998stevewhite. I swear to god, hands down, pinky promise I am my own person. I am not RusselHallwell or Allyxx (although I do know her) or UYTR. I create my account on my own personal computer and no one else goes on it. So I honestly do not understand. --Merry Christmas: Khan Talk Sandbox  Email  15:10, December 19, 2010 (UTC)

RE This is getting to be a problem

See User_talk:Fandyllic#This_is_getting_to_be_a_problem. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 3:06 PM PST 13 Dec 2010

Re: External Sponsor Links - A Blog about it.

"(But that's quite a notice, it's much more than is necessary...)"
Well I came to a idea compromise, which is to only include that {{Copyright}} tag on the main page. I took a look around at other ghostbuster fan sites and most either have it on the front or as a link. So I will in the future remove the tag from other articles. Will that be ok? Devilmanozzy (Talk Page) 00:24, December 14, 2010 (UTC)

Sounds good to me :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 08:02, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Image tags still not working on monobook

See this, but on Internet Explorer, and on monobook. Thankfully enough, there are few registered users for that wiki, so they don't see the issue, but if you could please fix the issue, that would be great. Thanks!{{SUBST:KrytenKoroSig}} 17:30, December 15, 2010 (UTC)

Also, at least on monobook, the read more section lists the links vertically, rather than horizontally, and the black background clashes with the white background of most of our images (see Gigapede). Also, the category galleries still display text for some articles, despite there being images. I'm not familiar with theme designer, so if you could tweak it so that the background of the articles themselves were white, that would be great. Also, the table expansion thing, what would I need to do to implement that?
(And to explain the lack of my characteristic abrasiveness, the DMC wiki actually looks best in Oasis and would benefit from these features, so if we had been given the choice, we probably would have opted in to them).12.53.10.226 17:39, December 15, 2010 (UTC)
I'm not sure what you are seeing for the images on monobook. I know some fixes went out today, so it may be that the problem you are pointing to is fixed.
"Read More" was removed from monobook, that wasn't supposed to be a feature for that skin.
Can you link me to an example of categories showing text where there should be an image? There is a bug where the feature is missing some images in templates, and more examples are useful.
I've changed the article page colour, but this is really easy for you to tweak yourself... try this link :)
Table expansion is automatic, it will show for any table over 100% width on the Wikia skin. You can also add it to any other table with class="popout" (for the Wikia skin)
And non-abrasiveness is always appreciated :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 08:13, December 16, 2010 (UTC)
"Read More" is no longer showing up on monobook, and I don't seem to be finding the text-only read mores on Oasis, either. Category-gallery-wise, it still pulls up images from maintenance templates and the like - I still think it would be a really great idea to code it so that we can select the image used. For example, we would type "[[Category:Colors|file=Red.png]]"{{SUBST:KrytenKoroSig}} 15:43, December 16, 2010 (UTC)
The image from Template:Cleanup will disappear once it's used on 4 more pages :) The logic used assumes that any image used that many times is in a maintenance template or otherwise non-specific, and so it skips those. It looks like that one is just caught up in the borderline between the cases. I sort of like the idea to have the images selectable - but it's really a great feature that the images vary depending on what the most visited pages are at any time. But I know the team working on this have the suggestion on their list. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 00:44, December 18, 2010 (UTC)

Reporting a Wiki

I would like to report sex.wikia.com as I feel that the wiki is too innaproapte for kids and is way over PG! Red SoxGo Red Sox!!!

Hi, the wiki has been closed -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 08:13, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

FIX IT NOW

WHY ARE ALL THE PIC'S ONLY ON THE LEFT ON MONOBOOK!?!?!?!?

FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY WONT YOU FIX IT NOW????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Luma451 File:Murkekow.png

(♓ౖ )

01:06, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Please don't shout. I believe the bug has been fixed, although I need to check that in the morning. We are also making some changes to make it less likely that monobook is affected by Wikia skin change in the future -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 08:15, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

Dragonball Fanon

New Vandals keep on attacking dragonballfanon.wikia.com.Most are Ptsn trying to get revenge for being blocked.He has even imitated you and a admin called SSWerty.This wikia need more admins to help with this old threat.Could you make me admin there.If you do I will stop at nothing to protect it from Ptsn and all vandals that attack the wiki.Supersaiyian11 18:45, December 16, 2010 (UTC)

...SS11, we're the one that appoints the admins. Not Sannse. We would have to choose you to become the next admin, and quit frankly I don't think you deserve the position at this point. {{SUBST:User:SonikFan112/sig4}} 00:08, December 18, 2010 (UTC)
Let me know if you need help, SonikFan112 :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 00:45, December 18, 2010 (UTC)

Songpedia's menu and the categories

Hi, Sannse! I think the new look is very awesome, so as a bureaucrat of Songpedia, I am helping the wiki improve a lot so I made a new menu, but the problem is, I (and Songpedia's community) don't want the menu to be just in the main page, we also want it to be in the links it shows. But the problem is that the categories don't have the same space as the main page, so we decided to put it in the test namespace (Ideas:), but the thing is none of the admins know how to put pages' links in a certain category to another page (If you think that we should let some non-admins do it, Then there might be vandalism, like what happened the last several months). I don't need a big article space for categories because the templates in those categories suites the space the most. Can you please teach me how to put category links to a page?
sincerely, paul mccartney 11:03, December 17, 2010 (UTC)

If you are wanting to link a category, link it like you would normally link a page and just add a : to the beginning of the link. IE, [[:Category:Songs]]. This will link to the Category:Songs category page if it exists. You can also change the links name by adding a normal | and the name you want to show. IE [[:Category:Songs|Songs category]]. Hope that helps. Rappy 15:24, December 17, 2010 (UTC)
That's not what I meant, of course I know how to link to a category, the thing is I need to know how to put a category page to another page. I got the idea of putting it on another page because of a sister wiki putting this; {{Special:Prefixindex/FunFic:}}, and that one was for the FunFic prefix, but the thing is, that is for prefixes. And here's what I tried: {{Special:Categoryindex/Downloaded Songs}}, then this: {{Category:Downloaded Songs}}, {{:Category:Downloaded Songs}}. But it won't work. Merry christmas, paul mccartney 04:50, December 18, 2010 (UTC)
I think the only way to do this without making a template for it is to ask for the DPL extension to be added to your wiki. With the DPL extension using something like {{#dpl: |category = Downloaded Songs }} would essentially put a link on another page for every page in that category (which I think is what you are after). From there, you can also format this list into tables (sortable as well) or columns as well as listing other important information about the page... like last editor, last edited date, etc. Requesting this via Special:Contact may be faster than sannse's response on this page as any other wikia staff could see the e-mail before she checks her talk page again. If you get DPL installed and need further help, feel free to update here, ask on my talk page, or start a forum post asking for assistance. Rappy 05:19, December 18, 2010 (UTC)

Word Mark

Whats a wordmark.HazeShot 18:03, December 17, 2010 (UTC)

It's the logo for your wiki that shows at the top of each page. It's called a "wordmark" because it's almost always a decorated word that shows the name of your wiki. On this wiki, it's shows as "Community Central" above -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 01:00, December 18, 2010 (UTC)

New Wikia

I was hoping that I could create a James Bond wikia but I'm not sure how to startThe Secret Agent 05:49, December 18, 2010 (UTC)

There is already a james bond wiki at w:c:Jamesbond but if you want to start your own wiki at the very top of the screen in the wikia header there is a button that says "start a new wiki"--God (Pray) 06:02, December 18, 2010 (UTC)

Range block

Hello. Can we please get a range block on the Animal Crossing Wiki because there is a spammer, who keeps changing IPs, but they are always start with 71.54. - can you please perform a range block to every user with that IP on the AC Wiki? Thanks, Dragonfree 6000! 22:46, December 18, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks for your reply over my previous question about this. How would I be able to perform the block for an IP with the first two sections 82.132.? The user has other IP's that don't have the 248 as the third bit. Thanks. Helloher (Death is not my phone number) 13:33, December 19, 2010 (UTC)
Dragonfree, I've called in to Animal Crossing.
Helloher, if the first two sections are the same, then you can block 82.132.0.0/16 -- remember to keep the blocks short, a /16 is a lot of IPs and blocks like this can easily catch other people on the same range. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 18:26, December 22, 2010 (UTC)

Bureaucrat Change

Hello Sannse. What "user right" must you be to be able to demote Bureaucrats. I am just wondering because a Bureaucrat (we call them Managers on my wiki) cannot demote another bureaucrat. Do you have to be Wikia Staff or Helper or...? --Merry Christmas: Khan Talk Sandbox  Email  14:23, December 19, 2010 (UTC)

You need to be staff or a helper to do this. Sarah is going to look in on your wiki and see what can be done to help out there. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 18:30, December 22, 2010 (UTC)
Oh thank you every so much. Merry Christmas Sannse and have a happy new year :-) --Merry Christmas: Khan Talk Sandbox  Email  18:39, December 22, 2010 (UTC)

Faveicon

I read you no longer make faveicons for wiki's, but I need one and I am not good at making my own. Do you know someone who could make one for me? Thanks --GlennVP - (talk) - (contributions) 20:01, December 19, 2010 (UTC)

w:c:logocreation makes them if you want one--God (Pray) 20:04, December 19, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks :D --GlennVP - (talk) - (contributions) 20:12, December 19, 2010 (UTC)

Spanish wikis

¿Cómo puede crear usted wikis en español? por qué hace comienzan con "es."?

traducción inglesa: How can you create wikis in Spanish? why do they begin with "es."?

Tipo Raro 23:27, December 19, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, you create them by clicking "Start a Wiki" in the Wikia bar above, and selecting the language you want on the creation page. They start with "es" because that's the international code for Spanish, and it means we can have wikis on the same subject in many languages. If the name of the wiki is specific to Spanish, the you can use Special:Contact to ask for that to be changed. For example, it will always be http://es.Charmed.wikia.com, but if it had a Spanish-specific name then we could change it (http://encantado.wikia.com ??)

Blog

Hi Sannse. Please read my new blog. I think many users will have more fun with the things on the blog. :3.Tdifan24 eats your carpetEmoticon001 03:35, December 20, 2010 (UTC)

The emoticons? Cute :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 18:41, December 22, 2010 (UTC)

Logo and Forum

What size does the logo has to be and what do you name the logo to upload it.

How do you get to the forum.HazeShot 07:12, December 20, 2010 (UTC)

The logo (wordmark) is 250x65 pixels, and you can upload it with any name via the ThemeDesigner (which is in "mytools" in your toolbar
The forum is here - or you can find it under "help" in the navigation menu above -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 18:43, December 22, 2010 (UTC)

ShoutWiki has Monaco

Hey Sannse, did you know that ShoutWiki has now enabled Monaco? 92.7.185.254 08:58, December 22, 2010 (UTC)

Blog Reply Issue

Sometimes when I reply to blog posts, my replies disappear from the blog page. They still show on the Recent Activities page and on My Contributions, though. I've encountered this issue on a number of wikis, please help... OZZY 15:35, December 22, 2010 (UTC)

I also have the same problem in every wiki I've visited. Plus when sometimes when editing a page, a part of text gets emboldalised without us embolding it. I contacted the wiki about it and Sarah said she'll talk with the technical guys about it.  Finchelfanno1 (talk / contribs)|Music  
On blog comments: have you seen this happen in the last day or so? There was a fix very recently that should have helped with blog comment buggyness.
Sarah will have passed on the question about bold... but if you have any specific example, that will help us track it down. Thanks -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 18:47, December 22, 2010 (UTC)
I have also had this issue. The comments don't disappear, but do take a while to show on the page. --BobNewbie talkblog 18:50, December 22, 2010 (UTC)
I see it >_< I've reported it, a very annoying bug. Thanks for the report all -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 19:07, December 22, 2010 (UTC)

Red Sox Wiki and Boston Red Sox Wiki

I run the Boston Red Sox Wiki which I adopted a while ago. There is also a wiki called the Red Sox wiki which is inactive and deserted. I was wondering if the Red Sox Wiki could be closed so that when people search redsox.wikia.com it would bring them to my wiki (Boston Red Sox Wiki). DustpeltA Wikia Contributor

I would make this request at Community Central:Adoption requests. You're likely to get a faster response and they also deal with these kind of requests. I had wowhelp redirected to wow.answers this way. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 4:37 PM PST 23 Dec 2010

Webkinz Fanon Wikia

Hello! On the Webkinz Fanon Wikia, we've got a problem. Three Bureaucrats - Webkinz112, Teddybear and Webkinz Mania - haven't been editing for a while now, so I'm scheduling them to be demoted. Would that be possible? If so, Thanks! Lord Starscream - Lightsforforum.gif 18:04, December 24, 2010 (UTC)

It's generally not necessary to remove the rights of people who aren't around any more. It's easier just to leave them, and sometimes they may even return to help if you do :) If you have a strong need for rights removal though, you can ask us via Special:Contact -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 22:19, December 27, 2010 (UTC)

Talk Pages

Hi there Sannse, i was wondering how i could change my wikia's (Oumagadoki Zoo Wiki) pages in that of talk pages, because the comments are really annoying cause peoples can criticize directly and with talk pages peoples can leave their message if there's something wrong with the page. So is there a way, because i had seen that at the Avatar wikia they had first talk pages and later they had pages which you can give away a comment. I hope there's a way. --RetroGamer 22:19, December 26, 2010 (UTC)

Comments can also be used to leave a message if there's something wrong with the page -- it's up to you how you use them. But if you want to swap over, then we can do that via Special:Contact. You need to be sure that the community agrees with the change, and be aware that any existing comments will be lost. Please make sure you mention that you understand that in your message. Thanks -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 22:21, December 27, 2010 (UTC)
Well thank you that it is possible RetroGamer 22:50, December 27, 2010 (UTC)

Post Oasis Fork Main Page News/Redirects

As you can see here, I followed what I've seen done on other wikis that have bolded notes on their main page leading users away and removed it as its been a while (and in this case, is already noted in bold farther down the main page). It was reverted and then protected by a forked admin. Just FYI.   Hooper   talk    contribs    email   00:42, December 28, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks HooperBandP. I've replied to your message there, and will call in early in the New Year to see what needs to be done to help there -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 23:55, December 28, 2010 (UTC)

Fanon Wiki:Vote for Adminship

Hello, It's Starscream7. On the Fanon Wiki, no Rollbacks, Administrators or Bureaucrats are active. Darth Wylind, the only Bureaucrat, hasn't been on the site for two weeks now. Furthermore, the other three Administrators are inactive and haven't been editing for several months now. Due to this, I am setting up a Vote for Adminship.

When Voting ends, If no Rollbacks, Administrators or Bureaucrats return, would It be okay If I show you or other members of the staff the results of the Voting and you can promote the successful nominated users to Rollbacks, Administrators and Bureaucrats? If so, that would be great. The site has 2,500 articles and needs some users to be active in these groups.

Thank You!Lord Starscream - Happy Holidays! 01:08, December 29, 2010 (UTC)

Sure :) best place to put the details is on the Adoptions page. If there's a clear vote, it's easy for us to promote as needed -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 17:28, January 1, 2011 (UTC)

TOLD YOU

like i said everyone is leaving no one wants to change fix it you had to make archives with all the hate mail your'e getting just fix it go to http://badnewtheme.wikia.com/wiki/Vote_no_on_new_theme_Wiki and you will see i told you EVERYONE HATES THE NEW SKIN*Wildfire* 21:26, December 29, 2010 (UTC)

IRC bot

How do you get a IRC bot?--{{SUBST:Signatures/Monster2821}} 23:00, December 30, 2010 (UTC)

That's not something I know anything about I'm afraid. I'd suggest Googling for advice :) -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 19:10, January 1, 2011 (UTC)

Promoting Songpedia

Hi, Sannse! Can you please help me? Because I'm having trouble promoting Songpedia.

Here are common reasons:

• I don't want to spam message asking a user to contribute to Songpedia (no one wants that to happen anyways).
  • I always think that the article number of Songpedia is too little even tough Songpedia has 500+ and the Spotlight criteria is only asking for 250
  • I'm scared of public humiliation
  • I'm not confident
  • All the other admins are on vacation and is leaving me alone to be in charge until January 5, 2011
  • None of the music fans (we call Songpedia contributors, "music fans") wants vandals to come in Songpedia to vandalize ALL pages again like last year June (2010).
  • We need more complex stuff, for "real" example, Songpedia needs sister projects related to it, but Songpedia News is not yet created.

Please help me or one of the admins that are not on vacation!

-- paul mccartney   Songpedia The Beatles Chat  Contribs   06:27, December 31, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, I can really help directly with promotion I'm afraid, but the best way to build the wiki really is keeping building the content :) The way most people find wikis is via search engines, so the more good content you have, the more likely people will find it and join.
I have tried to make a draft theme for the wiki (see the request page here) although I it still needs work! I find wikis like Songpedia harder to do themes for than anime and game wikis. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 18:35, January 1, 2011 (UTC)

Edit Everything

Hey Sannse! I need to speak to you about a bug I don't think anybody is experiencing, but may cause problems if so. See, when I click on a page twice, I go into edit mode. The problem is, this includes on other people's blog posts, even on wiki's where I am not an admin. I have not edited any blog posts that aren't mine, but I wanted to inform you of this bug, since some people will edit other's blog posts and cause problems.

I do not know of any other users with this problem. If it helps, I am using Google Chrome and I always edit with Oasis and not Monobook. This glitch started about 2-3 weeks ago. If you need any further information, I will give it to you.

Thank-You! BobNewbie talkblog 10:48, December 31, 2010 (UTC)

Hi, the problem is in your preferences :) There is a setting under the "Edit" tab for "Edit pages on double click". Maybe you clicked it accidentally some time. Just turn that off, and it should be fine. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 18:38, January 1, 2011 (UTC)
Thanks! --BobNewbie talkblog 18:40, January 1, 2011 (UTC)

Just a quick message

A troll going by the name X Rocky (alternate accounts include "N. Valentine", "Drakeman", "Degenerator", and "Showgirl") have expressed the desire to get me demoted from my position as bureaucrat on Fantendo because he/she/it is angry with me for banning its sockpuppets. I don't expect it will succeed, but I wanted to leave a message here to let you know beforehand what's probably going to happen soon enough (i.e. sockpuppets showing up on your talk page to complain about how I'm evil incarnate).
I understand you probably have a lot going on, and that the sockpuppets may simply give up, but I wanted to ensure that he/she/it couldn't get to the admins before I did and tell them lies about me. This guy is seriously obsessed, he's been harassing me for some time and frankly he's a very good liar.
Happy new years!
Cobweb

And to you :)
I remember this one... Looks like you may need an IP block on the wiki. You could block 99.127.153.60 to help prevent more socks -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 18:44, January 1, 2011 (UTC)

Ever heard of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

What the hell is this? The edit additions are bigger than the actual article title itself! Sheesh, it's like you guys feel
File:LOL2.png
the need to change everything regardless of how good it was/is.

Can't you put your efforts into something more better, like making Oasis more compatible with other browsers and fixing the horrible width, or perhaps adding a sidebar?

And please don't ignore me and the other users that complain, if it weren't for us you people wouldn't even be on a decent payroll! Ad revenue ring any bells? If you want money-- listen to us and stop screwing everything up. Every few days a wiki leaves wikia-- ShoutWiki has an awesome Monaco rip-off going on. What makes Oasis better than Monaco? and saying that it's more compatible with disabled people isn't a good answer, as many people with disabilities have even commented on how much of a screwup Wikia has become. --THIEF 09:47, January 1, 2011 (UTC)

I won't ignore anyone who is polite and constructive, but if you can't be civil, then I'm afraid I certainly will start ignoring you.
In this case, I'm not seeing that on assassinscreed.wikia or elsewhere and there have been no code releases over the holiday -- so it's not a change on our end. I would suspect a local or personal CSS change, but I don't see the larger text when viewing with your account and there don't appear to have been any recent local CSS edits. It may be an issue with your browser, and you could try updating that to the latest release (although I've not heard reports of problems the one you use). If you are still seeing the problem after a browser update, then please use Special:Contact to report the problem.
For your other comments, please see my previous replies on this wiki and elsewhere. -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 19:09, January 1, 2011 (UTC)
Oh okay, mybad. Happy new years-- also could you still please answer my question and tell me what makes Oasis better than Monaco? Because on assassinscreed Wikia we need more width, look at our wrecked articles such as this one. We need width! :( --THIEF 00:25, January 2, 2011 (UTC)
There's always going to be a matter of taste in comparing skins. The new look is a more modern, streamlined, and cleaner design. The fixed width means that the content area is consistent on various browsers, and the right sidebar means that the top ad is out of the content and so doesn't change the content area for anons compared to loged in user. We reduced the number of links, which will make it easier to find the most important ones (and are changing the toolbar to make that more customizable so that you can choose which links are most important to you). But much of this really comes down to taste... which means I know that you may disagree that any of the improvements we have made are improvements.
On that specific article, I think it needs a little rearranging to work well, and some of the colours on templates seem odd... but there is nothing there that can't work with the fixed width. And one of the advantages of fixed width is that when a page is designed, it will be seen similarly for all viewers -- before, it would vary depending on monitor resolution. All in all, Assassins Creed Wiki looks amazing to me... it's a beautiful theme -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 22:09, January 5, 2011 (UTC)

Help!

The POkemon wiki is being vandalized nw!!!! Help It is extremely ina propiate and very languagely!!! And the adm ins ared gone!!! We can't stop the!!!~Can you hewlp!!!!!! There are moere than 5 of trhemn and they weon't sytop!!!!! EVanf!

I see the admins dealt with this -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 22:16, January 5, 2011 (UTC)

bugs

Hi uh when I edit a page the number of pages on my wiki goes down and how do you create a page that doesn't have comments at the bottom? Thanks!I don't wanna wait for my lunch to get colder Why can't I eat it now? 10:33, January 2, 2011 (UTC) and also my wiki activity is just followed pages how do I change it back to normal thnaks!

I don't understand the first... sounds like something you should report via Special:Contact (on your wiki). Don't forget to give all the information you can, including which wiki you mean.
Comments are always there, unless your wiki uses talk pages instead -- it's one or the other, you can't have some pages with comments and some without
The last is a bug that's making it hard to switch between views. For now, just uncheck "Make Followed pages my default view", refresh the page, and then remove /watchlist from the URL of the page. Hope that helps -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 22:16, January 5, 2011 (UTC)

Comments vs. Talk Pages

Sannse I'm hoping that you can clear something up for me. I have been seeing more than a few wikis that have comments on articles and while I feel that is a step backwards in a content based site, that isn't the issue I'm having. The issue is that I've heard a few things saying that Wikia will be making comments on articles mandatory, rather than having talk pages. I have a few things to say about that, but I'm hoping you can clear this up for me. Will Wikia be forcing comments over talk pages or will both be supported? I know you said in a question I had eariler, in November I think, that both would be supported for now, and I'm really hoping that this is just nonsense.

Also has a decision been reached about adjusting the fixed width, making it larger. I've heard things about A/B testing and I was hoping that was a test of adjusting the skin. Is there more information you can give me about this? Thanks. Lancer1289 20:41, January 3, 2011 (UTC)

Hi, we have no plans to change the way comments vs. talk pages are working at the moment. It would actually be very difficult to do, because existing talk pages can't be transfered to comments (and vice versa). Comments are default for new wikis, and are occasionally requested for older ones, but talk pages are still supported.
I don't have any information about the A/B testing... but as far as I know, there are no current plans to change the fixed width.
Sorry if that sounds over cautiously worded by the way, I try never to say something that's going to turn out to be wrong later :) but in both cases, there's nothing to make me think anything will change in the forseable future -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 22:24, January 5, 2011 (UTC)

Blocked for asking about a counter vandalism channel?

Uhh.. What do you call this? [29] A staff blocked me for asking about a counter vandalism channel! I've decided to create my two new wikis at ShoutWiki now because of this.

Thanks

99.127.153.60... I'll ban that IP, thanks. :) Cobweb (Talk)

Fanon Wiki Voting Issue

Apparently, users aren't noticing the Vote for Adminship center. If this continues, would promotions be available if they have good contributions? I have two notable examples:

http://fanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Calthrina950 (Rollback, Currently 684 Edits, member for nearly a year)

http://fanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Jaster1 (Administrator, Currently 2,563 Edits, member for more than two years)

http://fanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:C%26C_King (Administrator, Currently 3,551 Edits, member for over a year)

Also, Darth Wylind still hasn't been on the site. He's been inactive foralmost three weeks now, so his status is undertimened. I can now thoroughly realize that there definetely need to be both demotions and promotions, whether people vote or not. The three users above are ones that I have realized to be contributing on the site for a notable amount of time and have been very active. They are currently the only recommended ones that I am presenting.

Lastly, to conclude, Brandon Rhea (Yes, he really is) and Lord Lycan are Administrators and haven't been editing for a while. Brandon hasn't been editing for two and a half months now while Lord Lycan hasn't been editing for ALMOST a year now. I suggest that Lord Lycan should be demoted - but we should talk to Brandon.

Thank You - and have a Happy New Year!

Lord Starscream - Happy Holidays! 01:58, January 4, 2011 (UTC)

Blog listings

Sorry to bother you...

Hope I'm not bothering you, but it seems that the "popular blog post" section on custom bionicle wiki has been replaced by the content on deadliest fiction wiki, if I am talking to the wrong person, tell me, and I am sorry if I am. user:starkiller510 distraction! 02:20, January 4, 2011 (UTC)

Hi

Hi the glee wiki is showing blogs from different wiki. Can you please look into the problem? Here's a pic:thumb|The Blogs shown are nopt from the Glee wiki.

--☼☼☼Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday [And Happy New Year] Look at my stats(A=πr2)☼☼☼ 07:41, January 4, 2011 (UTC)

Sorry about that, there was a typo in the system causing a problem >_< All should be well now -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 22:39, January 5, 2011 (UTC)

Mobile skin issues

Ok, I'm having some issues with the mobile skin. I have started using it to edit from my iPhone (I decided i would rather type ?action=edit then wait half s minute for the Oasis edit screen to load) . But the skin is very inconsistent on whether it stays on Wikiaphone or switches to Wikia Oasis. Just an hour ago I managed a rapid-fire creation of about fifty redirects without any swigging to Oasis, but when I tried to start the next batch it became very inconsistent. This is becoming extremely annoying (I'm sick to death of ?useskin. ) and. I was wondering if there is a solution fir this thanks, Template:Signatures/Noobs are very tasty 08:35, January 4, 2011 (UTC)

This one is going to have to go to Special:Contact I think... It sounds as though you might be having a cookie problem, but I don't know how that works on the iPhone. One thing... not all pages work with the new mobile skin yet - could it be that you are viewing special page or other non-content pages? If that's not what you are seeing, please send as much detail as you can to Special:contact and someone will try to help -- Sannse@fandom (help forum | blog) 22:42, January 5, 2011 (UTC)

Another thing

Waiting for staff closure on w:c:RuneScape:Forum:Yew Grove has a few threads needing staff closure. (specifaly the choosing new checkuswrs one and the title blacklits one, ) thanks. Template:Signatures/Noobs are very tasty 08:38, January 4, 2011 (UTC)

Aaaaand...

Why doesn't <sub> work on new look? Also answer my queries rightr above, thanks Template:Signatures/Noobs are very tasty 11:27, January 4, 2011 (UTC)

Check User

Hello Sannse hope you are having a great new year =). I am a Bureaucrat (as you know) of The Charmed Wiki, and I would like to become a "CheckUser", because (as you know) there has been alot of double accounts on that Wiki. Do I come to you or to a forum or... to ask for such right? (Thanks) --Merry Christmas: Khan Talk Sandbox  Email  18:58, January 4, 2011 (UTC)

DBFanon needs your help... again.

One of our blocked users is acting crazy.

Here's what he said on another fellow member's YouTube:

Note: All swears are censored with the term <REDACTED>:

"You are a total <REDACTED> for hating Vegeta!!! And a double <REDACTED> for insulting me! And a triple for you NomadMusik the <REDACTED> and add a quadruple to the rest of you <REDACTED>! I'll get you back with The Dark Prince, Shukaku James Rin, 900.500., Rulerx00 and Slent Vandal and about 20 other accounts rcently made during my imprisonment. And thats in 1month. So, more than 200 accounts with same pass to easy remember for the year and it'll be fanon helL! mwahahahaha!!!"

-PiccoloTheSuperNamek (otherwise known as SuperNamekPiccolo1 on YT)

Can you help? -NomadMusik

Aditional details: I must mention that PTSN knows how to change IP and has done it to attack with random accounts around 20 times. Simple blocking won't work. Is there a way that we make him not be able to vandalize? This is becoming serious. <<-Rage->> 22:43, January 5, 2011 (UTC)

Mail

You just, in all likelihood, received a very urgent mail. Pierius Magnus 18:39, January 5, 2011 (UTC)

Mail

You've just received an urgent mail, Pierius Magnus 18:39, January 5, 2011 (UTC)

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.