FANDOM

(Me at work category)
Line 83: Line 83:

== Picture == If you don't mind me asking, i can't find any pages that tell me how to put a picture in, so mind helping telling me how?
+
  +
== == Picture == ==
  +
If you don't mind me asking, i can't find any pages that tell me how to put a picture in, so mind helping telling me how?--[[User:Kakashi hatake34|Kakashi hatake34]] 08:19, 13 October 2008 (UTC)

Revision as of 08:19, October 13, 2008

Categories

Thanks for the work you did starting off the categories. I got round to finishing it yesterday so now all wikis are classified at least by language, and in many cases by topic as well. Angela 23:14, 28 Jan 2005 (PST)

Nice, hopefully it'll become more useful in the future with the possibility of integrating a category into the wikis which are in it. As in, like the 'navigation' or 'search' portlet, one could have a 'similar cities' portlet which shows all things in that cat. If the things in two cats (lang is not a featured cat, too broad) then it would have something similar to this (Using mozillawiki as example although its only in computers & English, so using a few eng cats). Note: I cant use ahref for some reason as I was doing the exact code, so i am using wikilinks, as well as some wikicode to make it easier.
I haven't yet decided if it's better to restate the link twice for both cats or what. An option somewhere to make it use those little clickable arrows which make it 'expand' similar to in Recentchanges would be nice.
<div class="portlet" id="p-sim">
<h5>Similar Wikicities</h5>
<div class="pBody">
*[[:Category:English|English]]
**[[Nintendo]]
**[[Novelas]]
*[[:Category:Computing|Computing]]
**[[Active Worlds]]
**[[Doom Wiki]]
**[[VirusInfo]]
</div>
</div>
It's a mere example of how it'd look, but I think you'd dig it. --Me at work 10:15, 29 Jan 2005 (PST)
That's a great idea. I love it! If there was an option to expand it rather than having to see them all, then I think showing a wiki in more than one category would be fine. Angela 16:46, 29 Jan 2005 (PST)
Which is why I said the following (don't know if you saw it, seems like you didn't)
An option somewhere to make it use those little clickable arrows which make it 'expand' similar to in Recentchanges would be nice.
If you did and didn't get what i meant, go to your prefs, recent changes and stub display, and check "Enhanced recent changes (not for all browsers)". This does what I was talking about, in the recent changes area. It's what I use. Making an option similar to that to apply to the "Similar Wikis" box would be perfect. --Me at work 19:54, 29 Jan 2005 (PST)
Yes, I did get it. I just meant that a wiki should only be in more than one category if those arrows are included. Angela 06:42, 30 Jan 2005 (PST)
Ah, point taken. I thought it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to get the arrow bit coded in (copy paste from recentchanges, modify a bit). Actually I think it'd be a bit harder to hide the "duplicates" than to code in the arrows, as it'd have to check if it was said already for all but the first cat, causing lag and such. --Me at work 11:06, 30 Jan 2005 (PST)

Talk Page Archiving

Please do not attempt to archive my talk page by moving it. It has an annoying effect on people's watchlists when end up with archives they never chose to watch on there. Angela 23:10, 4 Feb 2005 (PST)

Sorry, I have never archived a talk page before. I thought it best that the entire history of the page be preserved, as what if someone had sneakily edited someone elses post and it was never caught or whatever? I know it's unlikely but I like the ability to be able to trace back, similar to archiving a VfD to make sure everyone didn't vote twice or whatever. Sorry again, is there some kind of instructional page on "How to archive a talk page" somewhere? I didn't really look then or now, so there might be, but I was already making this edit. --Me at work 09:53, 5 Feb 2005 (PST)
It's a matter of personal preference really. I think it's more useful to have all of the history in one place, not split between different archives. This allows you to fetch the whole thing through Special:Export. There's a new page on this at Help:Archive. Angela 17:48, 5 Feb 2005 (PST)

Thanks...

...for fixing the wikilinks on my page. BTW, have we met before? Thanks, BCorr|Брайен 19:21, 11 Feb 2005 (GMT)

I don't think we have. --Me at work 19:37, 11 Feb 2005 (GMT)

Mailing lists

Spammish links? Our particular community does not use the wiki mailing lists. We do not want to use the mailing lists. It only makes sense to use them for something else. Space on the sidebar is very valuable because it is on every page, and it makes no sense to have a link there that is not of use to the wiki community - instead it should used to link to something that you often want to go to (and since Creatures Wiki has a good category system, I suggested a category root). --GreenReaper(talk) 22:41, 22 Feb 2005 (GMT)

I like using it for mailing lists and I think, to me, if you want to drop your mailing list don't just remove the link. That's taking up server space. I subscribe to Mozilla-l and theres 0 traffic on there, but I'm there in case we ever start using it. Since you say you don't want to use it, kindly ask angela to have it deleted so it's not wasting server space. I was kinda thinking, maybe there's another, proper way to add things to the navbar. Maybe, as well, you could make a page about "Utilizing links that you don't" and explain how to use these links that you don't (support, mailing list) for better purposes. --Tom talk/Bliki 01:29, 23 Feb 2005 (GMT)
I suspect the space it takes up is probably less than the space this conversation is taking up. :-)
The correct way to add things to the navbar is described in MediaWiki bug 419. It's not particularly accessilble to users, whereas changing the existing links is, but it's another option. --GreenReaper(talk) 02:36, 23 Feb 2005 (GMT)

Wiki "Repairs"

Good call on the redirects (Sun movie related)! --CocoaZen 10:22, 29 Mar 2005 (EST)

Admin

You're now an admin. This is a bit earlier than the rules I made up state you should be (ie - less than a week) because I don't know if I'll have internet access this week, so wanted to make sure you and Laurence had admin access to look after the wiki while I'm gone. Good luck. Angela 07:21, 17 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Thanks, I'll need it. Heh. --Tom talk/Bliki 17:53, 18 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Woohoo! Congraduration :D --LouCypher 18:18, 18 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Deleting Christian music pages

Hello. Thanks for jumping in to suggest music: for the Christian music articles. It seems like a good fit. Although they clearly do not belong here, I did not delete Christian:Richmond & Christian Bands because the criteria for speedy deletions do not give any grounds for doing so. -- JamesTeterenko 20:52, 25 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Language Templates & Tropical Storms

I'm glad you made it through the tropical storms.
I agree that for the most part the -0 language templates may not be useful. You can assume that if someone uses the language templates and doesn't include a language, that person is probably not very capable in that language. And since there are hundreds (if not thousands) of languages, it would take up a great deal of unnecessary space to list all the languages I don't speak. However, there are times when it could be useful. For instance, on a two language Wikicity, where you don't speak one of the major languages. Or when you are working with a set of people and don't speak one of the "common" languages in that group.
In this case, I asked for the Chinese one (zh-0) because I was interacting with some people setting up Chinese Wikicities (or mini wikis) and wanted it to be clear that I couldn't understand the content. Wish I could... --CocoaZen 21:38, 13 Jun 2005 (UTC)

Makes sense now. Not on the central wikicity (left out = don't speak) but on others. Thanks. --Tom talk/Bliki 17:16, 14 Jun 2005 (UTC)
P.S. clicking edit edits section 7. that's the section right before this one for some reason. I had to edit the url to be able to reply to your post.

Me at work category

I don't think having categories for specific users is a good idea. It would be quite unmanageable if everyone started doing that. You can get a list of your user subpages at [1] without needing a category tag. Also, the implication that you own the pages on a wiki is misleading. Do you mind if the category is deleted? Angela (talk) 06:22, 10 Jul 2005 (UTC)

It can be deleted right after clicking "edit" on this section lets me edit this section (section 9) instead of section 8 (the one before this section). But yeah, I don't mind, I didn't know about that feature. Fix the bug though please. --Tom talk/Bliki 18:18, 15 Jul 2005 (UTC)
There was an HTML <h5> near the top of the page which was causing the edit section problems. I've added <pre> tags to prevent that now. Angela (talk) 17:48, 18 Jul 2005 (UTC)
I suggest use category:Root as the fundamental and top level Wikia category. --Macv 19:30, 29 November 2007 (UTC)

== Picture ==

If you don't mind me asking, i can't find any pages that tell me how to put a picture in, so mind helping telling me how?--Kakashi hatake34 08:19, 13 October 2008 (UTC)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.