FANDOM

m (Removing redlinks.)
m (Removing redlinks.)

Line 242: Line 242:

:Cool, nice to hear that you have an account now. :-)

:Cool, nice to hear that you have an account now. :-)

:There are Wikia wikis about [[animals]] and there's one specifically for [[cats]]. The Cats Wiki is inactive now, but [[adopt this wiki|you can adopt it]] and revive it!
+
:There are Wikia wikis about animals and there's one specifically for [[cats]]. The Cats Wiki is inactive now, but [[adopt this wiki|you can adopt it]] and revive it!

:[[Start a new Wikia|Starting a new wiki]] is always a bit more hard than joining an existing one - existing wikis may already have some content that would attract new users, but on a new wiki, '''you''', as the founder have to build the content and promote the wiki. --[[User:Jack Phoenix|Jack Phoenix]] <sub>([[User talk:Jack Phoenix|Contact]])</sub> 15:00, 1 November 2007 (UTC)

:[[Start a new Wikia|Starting a new wiki]] is always a bit more hard than joining an existing one - existing wikis may already have some content that would attract new users, but on a new wiki, '''you''', as the founder have to build the content and promote the wiki. --[[User:Jack Phoenix|Jack Phoenix]] <sub>([[User talk:Jack Phoenix|Contact]])</sub> 15:00, 1 November 2007 (UTC)

Latest revision as of 22:49, May 30, 2016

50px-Replacement filing cabinet.svg

This page is an archive. Please do not edit the contents of this page.
Direct any additional comments to the current talk page.

USERNAME Template on GOW wiki Edit

Yeah, unfortunately it still no work, I tweaked a little bit, nothing much, still no Darth tader appearing. If you wouldn't mind checking it and making sure I didn't screw up, I would greatly appreciate it. -- Darth tader Stop by 01:43, 7 August 2007 (UTC)

Yeah JS is very complicated, I still can't get it to work, I tried to remove the pre things. In the end It came like this.

{Test Test Test ******************************

{Test Test $gjsdglk
 {test hi yung

Test }

My point is it comes out either in the box or not, If I try to space everything one ahead it messes everything up. What a buggah this is:P -- Darth tader Stop by 13:29, 7 August 2007 (UTC)
Well, it may not indeed look too "pretty" without the <pre> tags, but the point is that it should work then...if it doesn't, I suggest you talk to Splarka, Wikia's resident JavaScript guru and also the author of that username trick. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 14:04, 7 August 2007 (UTC)

Thanks a lot Edit

You voted for Russian reversal (phenomenon). Thank you. Ljlego 00:16, 21 August 2007 (UTC)

In Soviet Russia, article votes for YOU!! --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 12:55, 21 August 2007 (UTC)

Template:MCPO Foe @ Halopedia Edit

Dear Jack Phoenix,

Thanks for tipping me off to speedy-delete that template. I was browsing Recent Changes, and saw your name poke up (I didn't see the recent change when Spartan781 AfD-tagged the template), and I was like "Hmm, what's our favorite Cabal sacrificer doing now?" XD

Anyways, it's been summarily deleted. Thanks for your housecleaning help at Halopedia, Jack. Much appreciated. ^^

Cheers,

RelentlessRecusant 14:58, 21 August 2007 (UTC)

No problem at all, we want to keep the wikis pleasant for everyone and remove the personal attacks. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 15:56, 21 August 2007 (UTC)

WikiTutorials and use licenses - could you stop by WT Community Portal? Edit

Ciao! Your user page at WikiTutorials asked for messages to be left here, so here goes... Could you express your opinion at the WikiTutorials Community Portal about the apparent clash between the help pages with a public domain "license" warning and the Main Page, the page footer and the Project:Copyrights all stating that the license for all WikiTutorials material is CC by-nc-sa? It is quite likely that there is no real (legal???) problem, but it looks confusing and makes at least me actually quite hesitant to do anything with the help pages :-(. Thanks! --Starbuck Qinan 06:09, 23 August 2007 (UTC) (a.k.a. Ronja@WikiTutorials)

Well, all "original" material is CC-BY-NC-SA, but those help pages have been imported from MediaWiki.org, the homepage of MediaWiki software, and thus they're on the public domain. See mw:Project:PD help for more info. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 12:05, 23 August 2007 (UTC)

Username changeEdit

• Is there some way to have the edit count of one user transfered to another?--Shaelas(Ahto High Court) 15:40, 2 September 2007 (UTC)
Nope. --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 15:53, 2 September 2007 (UTC)

Finnish requestEdit

There's a near-empty request at http://requests.wikia.com/wiki/Enelya with very little information. It might be a language issue -- can you try contacting the user and see what kind of project this is? (And can you translate the {{I}} template into Finnish for us?) Thanks! — Catherine@fandom (talk) 03:06, 3 September 2007 (UTC)

Indeed quite empty...I've translated template:I at requests and left the user a message, asking for more details about the request. Thanks for informing me. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 13:32, 3 September 2007 (UTC)

Just a noteEdit

Hi. You said that names cannot be changed but I am not so sure about this. The following is from http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Create_an_account#Account_deletion

"It is not possible for accounts on Wikia to be deleted. However, if you decide after creating an account, particularly if you did so using your real name, that you would rather be anonymous, you may be able to have your account renamed. Please contact Angela if you require this. Renaming is not guaranteed, and may take some time to be performed. If your request is accepted, your edits will be reassigned to your new name. It is not possible for your edits to be removed entirely. You can request your user page be deleted, or you can simply redirect it to your new username.

If you have signed any talk pages, you will need to change your name on these manually. The easiest way to find these is by clicking "what links here" from your user page. There is currently no means of removing signatures from old revisions in the page history."

If this is worng then the help page should be changed. manutius 06:57, 3 September 2007 (UTC)

Angela updated that page today. As per that update, there's no way of renaming accounts currently (and most probably won't be in the near future, since such renames would be very database-heavy). --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 13:32, 3 September 2007 (UTC)
Ok. Thanks. ))) manutius 14:12, 3 September 2007 (UTC)

Just wondering Edit

Do you, or know anyone that could tell me the server specs that Wikia runs on? --CharitwoTalk 00:49, 9 September 2007 (UTC)

No idea really, but I presume the servers are running Linux, like 95% of servers usually. That's all I know/can guess. Perhaps some Technical Team member knows better. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 10:22, 9 September 2007 (UTC)

Villain WikiEdit

Hi I recently adopted the villain wiki so I could revive it. However I'm critically short on staff (it's just me). Do you know of anyone who might be interested in joining it? If at all possible, would you mind helping? Please reply here Villainous Count Bleck

ffxi.wikia.com Edit

Hello, I am an administrator for FFXIclopedia, we have been having hacker issues today and they stumbled across the ffxi.wikia.com domain, any help you can provide against these vandals would be appreciated. Known IPs are 74.236.216.189, 68.9.87.230, and 195.177.250.222. --CharitwoTalk 01:35, 17 September 2007 (UTC)

Actually, just on a related note, you mean crackers here more likely than hackers - these two terms do not actually mean the same, but for example, the press speaks of crackers as "hackers", while hackers are more like the good guys writing your software and crackers are the bad guys trying to steal your passwords.
The first two IPs are from quite large providers and the last one seems to be from a bit smaller providers. If the IPs have vandalized, you could go to w:c:ffxi:Special:Blockip (if you're an admin) or ask an admin to go there if you're not an admin and block them. Sometimes range blocks can help, but not usually, they can cause a lot of harm to innocent users using the same provider.
Good luck with your Wikia! --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 13:14, 17 September 2007 (UTC)
Yes, I don't need a tutorial on hacker/cracker, it was a general statement.
User:CatherineMunro and User:Emil have helped lastnight, however my sysop privileges have not carried over to the wikia.com domain and I have no power to revert the main page, as it is perverted again. The Ganiman account is still compromised and User:Gahoo the other active admin with powers on this side, isn't here all the time and I just happened to notice and revert what I could, however the Main Page still needs help. Until Ganiman gets his account back, it shouldn't have sysop privileges as the vandal can just revert it right back again. See also FFXIclopedia RecentChanges for an idea of what we've went through so far.
Thank you for your reply. --CharitwoTalk 13:31, 17 September 2007 (UTC)
I visited the wiki before I replied and I thought that there was indeed something funky going on with the main page...TOR reverted it for now. Please let the Community Team know about further problems or come to the #wikia IRC channel on freenode for real-time help. --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 14:07, 17 September 2007 (UTC)

Welcome to GenealogyEdit

Thanks for adding your user page. Maybe you can look at http://genealogy.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Ancestry%27s_License_Restrictions and tell us which Wikia staff, if any, might have expertise in that area. Robin Patterson 06:07, 30 September 2007 (UTC)

Hi Robin, thanks for the welcome!
Regarding copyright issues, I'd suggest contacting Angela, Catherine or Sannse, they know a lot about copyrights and licenses. --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 10:58, 30 September 2007 (UTC)

Dexter wikiEdit

Hi Jack -- Thanks for stopping by at Dexter. It's new, so there isn't much there yet... Are you a fan of the show? -- Danny (talk) 15:56, 1 October 2007 (UTC)

Hi Danny, I'm afraid Dexter isn't even being broadcasted here - I'm just popping up at random Wikia wikis and making my userpage (+talkpage redirect). :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 15:59, 1 October 2007 (UTC)

Thank you Edit

Thanks for the vote on UnBooks:Dane Cook: An Unauthorized Autobiography, 2nd Edition (New Pictures).-Ljlego 16:52, 8 October 2007 (UTC)

As always, no problem. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 16:53, 8 October 2007 (UTC)

How to set QartzSlate as a default skin for my wiki? Edit

How to set QartzSlate as a default skin for my wiki? My wiki is Bg.starwars.wikia.com The default skin is the monobook and i want to set the QartzSlate as a default!

Please help!

Thank you! JėdĬ māŜŢEŖ ĈĦĂνĊhσ 15:28, 11 October 2007 (UTC)

Hi Chavjedi, to set the QuartzSlate skin as the default skin, please contact a member of Wikia's Community Team - they can change it for your wiki. The Wikia Staff members are often online on the #wikia IRC channel in the Freenode network, so you may want to come there for live help or then you could leave a message on a staff member's talk page. Best of luck with your wiki. :-) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 16:47, 11 October 2007 (UTC)
Hi, Jack pointed me here, so I've changed the setting. It will take a little while to take, but you should see quartzslate as the default soon -- sannse@fandom (talk) 18:17, 11 October 2007 (UTC)
Thank you!!!!

Re: 'Anyway, if you need any help, don't hesitate to contact me!'Edit

Hi Jack. Thanks for your kind comments on my talk page back in April, about applying for a proposed wiki. I did make an application for a Spelljammer Wiki (via the requests.wikia.com website). Everything seemed to be working, well and I got told "I would be contacted soon". But it looks like I am accidentally being ignored.

I just started a discussion in the Proposed Wikis forum, but then I noticed your comment on my user page and thought I would surf, by and ask you for advice.

Do you think that this amount of time is a normal delay or do I need to do something else (that I don't know about) to get my Spelljammer Wiki approved?David Shepheard 11:32, 12 October 2007 (UTC)

Hi David, thanks for your message. I'll try to poke a Community Team member about this today. You could also join IRC channel - it's a quick way to get help, either from Wikians or the Wikia Staff members. --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 13:02, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
Thanks for your help Jack. I just got an email telling me my wiki is online. My next step is to start learning how to customise it and also to start recruiting other editors from the SJ community.David Shepheard 01:20, 13 October 2007 (UTC)

Question Edit

If the Titanic wiki is being redirected, why is the wiki up for adoption instead of being closed? —This unsigned comment is by 76.7.103.250 (wallcontribs) . Please sign your posts with ~~~~!

The Titanic Wikia isn't being redirected or closed - it is up for adoption. What I meant by my revert is that this Central Wikia isn't the place for wiki content. The Titanic page here should be just a short infopage describing the wiki and its goal(s) and mission - the actual pages about Titanic and everything related to it should go to http://titanic.wikia.com, the Titanic Wikia. I hope this clears it up a bit. :-) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 14:17, 13 October 2007 (UTC)

Thank YouEdit

Thank you for joining Fantendo! I hope you like the site. Plumber 19:37, 13 October 2007 (UTC)

Thanks for the welcome. I'm just popping up at random Wikia wikis and adding my userpage template and talkpage redirect. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 19:38, 13 October 2007 (UTC)

Welcome to the Christianity Knowledge Base! (christianity.wikia.com) Archola 19:08, 16 October 2007 (UTC)

Thanks for the welcome, I'm just popping up on random Wikia and making my userpage and talkpage redirect. Best of luck with the project. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 12:32, 17 October 2007 (UTC)

welcome Edit

Thank you for joining the alien research wiki, your contributions will be welcome. The sunder king 13:57, 20 October 2007 (UTC)

Thanks for the welcome, most likely I'm not going to be much around unless there's spam to delete. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 14:40, 20 October 2007 (UTC)

Congratulations! Edit

Jack,

Congratulations on (finally) getting your Janitor flag! :)

Manticore Talk | Contributions 12:19, 23 October 2007 (UTC)

Thank you! If you or your community are in a need of janitor assistance, don't hesitate to contact me. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 12:23, 23 October 2007 (UTC)
Yay! Now Jack can delete all half the spam! :P GHe (Talk) 21:31, 23 October 2007 (UTC)

Congratulations! rar! --CharitwoTalk 00:08, 24 October 2007 (UTC)

Haha Now " All your Spam are Belong to Us"(your new motto) ..hehehe.. XD ..--Cometstyles 07:43, 24 October 2007 (UTC)

I'm fairly sure I came up with that line, or was it "all your conspiraces are belong to us"? I dunno, I've been a little bit base-crazy lately. And arent't you just disgusted with his generic thank-you? Ugh, remind me to have TOR huff him from the database. -- Manticore Talk | Contributions 08:53, 24 October 2007 (UTC)

Thanks GHe, Charitwo and Cometstyles. Might have to do some fiddling with <div> tags and add a stylish box to my userpage or then to this page with the motto: All Your Pr0nspam Are Belong To Me. Hehe. <g> That'd go quite well along with the Uncyc page of mine...hmm --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 13:01, 24 October 2007 (UTC)

Speaking of which, go autoconfirm it, I'm sick of these random trolls destroying my good work. -- Manticore Talk | Contributions 11:42, 25 October 2007 (UTC)

• Congrats on getting the new janitor flag, now go "rm -rf *" some vandalism rofl... Pinky Talk 05:11, 26 October 2007 (UTC)

Terrific Ten page on Board 8 Wikia needs to be protected Edit

Its getting vandalized again and again and im tired of it.--Dr. Pizza 00:50, 27 October 2007 (UTC)

I've protected the page until 7th of November from anons and very new users. --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 12:23, 27 October 2007 (UTC)
Thank you. ^_^--Dr. Pizza 18:39, 27 October 2007 (UTC)

Maintenance Bot scripts to help janitors Edit

I used pywikipedia on Commons for some large maintenance projects like the Commons:Commons:By location category scheme- where my bot recat'd several thousand pages after reaching concensus on a naming scheme. As you may know, it is very simple for anyone to run category.py to perform this task. On commons, I am known as Makthorpe, and my bot is MakBot. Since then, I have become more skilled at using pywikipedia and creating custom programs. I am primarily doing stuff of interest to the genealogy wikia, but I recognize janitors may have some serious problems as wikia sites increase their popularity tremendously as I think is inevitable.

Anyway, if I may be assistance in providing any custom pywikipedia programs for maintenance use by janitors or admins, please create a page somewhere on central wikia with proposals for maintenance bot scripts and I will see if I can contribute in some way to that effort. ~ Phlox 15:58, 28 October 2007 (UTC)

You're right - Wikia is getting slowly and steadily (and sometimes not-that-slowly) even more popular, but there are differences between Wikia and Wikimedia. I don't think janitors may need that much of script help, though I may be mistaken. The thing where we surely could use script help is - as you can guess - spam deletion, but scripts may miss some pages and make other mistakes.
However, I suggest contacting the larger wiki communities, such as the ones listed on big wikis and asking them if they could use a hand or two.
P.S. This is a wiki...you can edit it, but you cannot break it. So be bold in creating new pages! :-) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 17:00, 28 October 2007 (UTC)

Hola Jack Edit

Soy amigo de la Cultura del Rock Independiente. Deseo tener amigos en Rock Music Wiki y conocer rock de distintas latitudes del mundo. Un abrazo. Saludos

--Manson 18:23, 29 October 2007 (UTC)

Sorry, I don't understand Spanish. Perhaps you should talk to Zuirdj, he's the one who speaks Spanish and Portuguese. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 18:38, 29 October 2007 (UTC)

the new wikia Edit

I was going to adopt the Cats wikia, but came across this one that you have already started.

I have experience in editing in a wiki, and would love to join you in administrating the site, if you so desire.

I think that the pets wiki could be great, because people love to hear and talk about pets.

I have experience in adding pictures to sites, to make the article more enjoyable, and researching and writing about other material.

I will wait to hear from you, before adopting my own wikika.

thanks I have not as yet created a user page, so please respond to my ip address I will check it out to see if there are messages. 72.189.10.25 02:47, 1 November 2007 (UTC)

Hi, do you mean cats.wikia.com? I'm not an admin there but seeing as it's quite inactive, I don't see why it couldn't be adopted.
However, the first thing you should do is to create an account - IP addresses cannot be given administrator privileges or any other special "flags". Creating an account gives a lot more than just the ability to be given rights - it allows you to move pages, hides your IP address from other users and registered users are in general trusted more than unregistered ones - people cannot remember if they've met "257.55.31.57" before, but they can remember if they've met "Jack Phoenix" before. ;-)
And the last, but certainly not least thing: welcome to Wikia! --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 13:50, 1 November 2007 (UTC)

Thanks Jack, I had forgotten that I already had an account here, and so I just activated it.

since you have a site about animals that includes Cats, do you think that a separate one for cats will have a following? of course cats can also include the big cats, if the small ones do not bring traffic.

Is is difficult to open a site, as opposed to joining one. I would like to Administer one.

Sondra C 14:11, 1 November 2007 (UTC)

Cool, nice to hear that you have an account now. :-)
There are Wikia wikis about animals and there's one specifically for cats. The Cats Wiki is inactive now, but you can adopt it and revive it!
Starting a new wiki is always a bit more hard than joining an existing one - existing wikis may already have some content that would attract new users, but on a new wiki, you, as the founder have to build the content and promote the wiki. --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 15:00, 1 November 2007 (UTC)

Thank you Jack. I do appreciate you stopping by to say hi. I'm working to absorb the tools to make this a functional, attractive, user-friendly site.

Reviewing other large sites listed in wikia, I've been impressed with the power that this platform provides. I'm into simplistic elegance and hope this site shall evolve into an inviting and pleasurable experience for the user/contributor.

I would appreciate your support as I'm learning.

Good to hear from you.

David —This unsigned comment is by Foreverman (talkcontribs).

Yep, Wikia's amazing indeed. Wikia has unique tools for contributors that no other sites have (such as widgets etc.) and since Wikia uses the highly scalable MediaWiki software for the wikis, writing new tools is easy for the developers. :-)
What I personally found very attractive was the community: Wikipedia's busy, vandals are common problem and everyone seems to be rather "grumpy" in there, but here people have time to sit down and talk to each other and take care of things. Of course, this is just my personal opinion on Wikia.
But if you ever need any kind of help with Wikia, don't hesitate to contact me, I'd be happy to help you out! --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 17:50, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Wanted PagesEdit

When will the wanted pages be updated on the Age of Alliances Wiki? --Lyela 17:36, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Special:Wantedpages is cached, like some other special pages. From what I've heard, it updates usually every 24 hour if I'm not totally mistaken. But it updates within a week, that's something I'm 100% sure of. :-) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 17:50, 2 November 2007 (UTC)
Ok, thanks! --Lyela 03:03, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

Template EditingEdit

I would like to ask for some help editing/creating templates. I know that you can set it up to not display data that isn't set (like Wookieepedia did with their Sentient template here). Could you set up Hair Color to not display if not set on our Character Template on the AoA-Wiki? Thanks in advance. --Lyela 14:45, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

Done - check w:c:ageofalliances:Template:Character again. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 18:05, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
Thanks again, Jack! --Lyela 19:11, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
By the way, I found a minor "problem" with your example (in that it put extra spaces between items where the items between them were not showing...) but I found a fix for it. If you want to see how I tweaked it feel free to look back at our Template:Character. Lyela 12:49, 4 November 2007 (UTC)
It was a rather quick hack, after all, but since it seemed to work for the most part... :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 12:58, 4 November 2007 (UTC)

Wiki Title Icon Setting Edit

My Bureucrat and I cannot figure out how to set our Wiki Title Icon (like the Wikia Central one above). We have an icon image here and need to know how to tell our wiki to use it in that fashion. Do you know how or can you point me to someone who can help? --Lyela 12:47, 4 November 2007 (UTC)

Do you mean the logo? If so, have a look at Wiki configuration#Site Logo. Basically, if you're using the Monobook skin (the same one that Wikipedia uses), upload an image called Wiki.png with the file dimensions 135 × 150 px (if I recall correctly, or then it was 150 × 150 px).
For the new Quartz skins, upload an image called Wiki_wide.png to the wiki, with the file dimensions 266 × 75 px. --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 12:58, 4 November 2007 (UTC)

Spam Edit

Spam all ready for huffing:

Manticore Talk | Contributions 13:57, 7 November 2007 (UTC)

Deleted, thanks a lot for finding these pages; I thought we got rid of that credit card related spam already.... --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 15:03, 7 November 2007 (UTC)

spam or vandalism on psychology Wikia Edit

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to mention this, but was browsing wikis other than my usual just now and noticed psychology Wikia seems to be being seriously messed up. Philralph 17:10, 7 November 2007 (UTC)

Thanks a lot - good find, as it was vandalism indeed. I have to wonder why it went unnoticed...anyway, I've blocked the user for now. And this isn't the wrong place for reporting spam and/or vandalism - more like the correct one, seeing as Wikia doesn't have systems like English Wikipedia has. --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 17:27, 7 November 2007 (UTC)
I have a possible explanation why it was not noticed. Over the last week, my Bot was flooding the change log making it difficult for Joe and his gang to monitor. This first pass of uploads from WP and commons is complete now, and should not pose problems until the next cleanup run. Hopefully some staffer will get around to assigning PhloxBot a Bot flag for genealogy and psychology wikia in the next month or 4. Or alternately, bureaucrats will be given the ability to assign the flag, which I understand they cannot do now. ~ Phlox 17:18, 10 November 2007 (UTC)
Yep - currently bureaucrats can only grant sysop and bureaucrat status. You might want to poke a member of the Community Team to get a bot flag assigned to PhloxBot. :) --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 17:50, 10 November 2007 (UTC)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.