Community Central
Community Central

Greetings, Fandom users. I will now share to you why having everything Discussions-based is a bad idea. Here, I will present all evidence necessary to prove why Threads should stay. Please note that this is meant to be informative.

Overview[]

Now, here is what Discussions looks like firsthand. 

DiscView
 Ignore this, I put it here by accident and can't remove it.

It's obviously a separate realm from the rest of a wiki. It is clearly not advisable for import on small wikis in general. On some wikis, they coexist with the simpler more practical Forums. They clearly have different places on a community.

Posting[]

Here is what posting looks like.                   

DiscEditor

As you can see, the features don't look that formal, and lack the details of Thread posts. That's not necessarily a flaw, but it's one reason why it shouldn't replace threads

Editing []

One reason why it shouldn't replace is, after editing, there's no way to trace the original version. I am not going to use a photo to show this because I do not have the time, but you might already get the idea here.

Without history, a Discussions post cannot be traced which is not bad in the Discussion's case, but a reason it cannot be full-time imported.

Deleting/Locking[]

Now, I will demonstrate what happens when a post is deleted or locked.  

DeletedDisc

Apparantly, when you delete a post, it has a red mark on it and non-admins/mods can't tell it's been deleted. And if a Discussions post is deleted, it is gone from the poster's Disc. Post history. Not entirely bad, but if all posts were imported to that, it means trouble. And you can't give summaries for deleting and locking. 

Linking[]

Another problem is the links. See, when posting a link you get an image of what's linked which can be hard in some circumstances. Like this. 

Link preview in Discussions

It can be good in certain times, but with all links like that ? No thank you.

Migration[]

Now here's why migrating Forums to Discussions is a bad idea. See, because of what I mentioned earlier the histories and summaries of the Forums are lost when migrated. posting images is hard. And look at what quoting looks like.  

Quotingconverted

It's so confusing. And here's some other news.

"View older replies"[]

The Discussions have a system where you have to keep pressing "View Older Replies" if you want to go through a long, official Discussion. And if you click on a link and go back, the "View Older Replies" just resets and if you click on it too fast, it doesn't work. Thus, making Discussions-based formats uneligible for posting long, detailed converstions which is bad because it can be important at times.

Conclusion[]

Forums and Discussions should coexist and a faulty format dominating is not okay. 

To everyone reading this, please be civil in the comments, and it took a long time for me to make this. Due to time's up, the end.