Community Central
Community Central

Happy New Year, everyone! And welcome to the first Featured Wikian dispatch of 2014. This week we’re introducing you to KataraFan!

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 4.53.29 PM

KataraFan loves the collaborative nature of Wikia, and that is evident in her contributions: not only is she an admin with over 6,000 edits to her name on the A.N.T Farm wikia, but she was also named “Favorite Bureaucrat” and “Favorite Hard Worker” by her fellow Wikians in the A.N.T Farm community! In addition to being active on A.N.T Farm , KataraFan was also previously active on the My Babysitter’s a Vampire” wikia.

Allow me the pleasure of introducing...KataraFan!

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself...

I'm an army brat so I've moved around a lot, but I'm currently living in New York City. I have two sisters: one older, one younger. In my free time I'm usually on the internet. I love Twitter, Tumblr and of course Wikia! I also enjoy studying other cultures and languages. As of now, I am trying to become fluent in Spanish :)

2. How did you first discover Wikia?

The first wiki I ever visited was the Avatar Wiki on July 31, 2010. I believe I was watching the show on Nicktoons and I wanted some information on the episode I was watching. I came across the wiki and I immediately fell in love with how much information was available. Anything related to Avatar, you can find it there! I used the screen name "KataraFan" because I was such a big fan of Katara from the show. And that is when my Wikia journey began!

3. Which wikis do you spend the most time on -- and which is your main wiki?

I spend the most time on wikis related to TV shows, specifically shows on Disney Chanel and Nickelodeon. My main wiki would probably the A.N.T. Farm Wiki because that is the first wiki I became an admin on. I think I've made the most contributions to that wiki.

4. What do you think is great about Wikia?

What I think is so great about Wikia is how you can create a wiki about ANYTHING and that ANYONE can create a wiki. Whatever you're passionate about, you can start a wiki and share all of your knowledge. I also love the community. I've met so many great people on here who share the same interests I do and I think it's amazing how we bond over one common interest.

5. How has Wikia inspired you or supported your passion?

Wikia has inspired me so much! The possibilities of what you can do on Wikia are endless. Lately I've been working more with codes, templates and designs. The level of creativity that you can exhibit on a wiki is infinite. Not only has Wikia inspired me, but the people on Wikia have inspired me. People have actually messaged me, thanking me for all the I've contributed and that just inspires me to do more.

6. What would your top 5 tips for new folks on a wiki be?

a) Don't be afraid to add your contributions b) Take ideas from other wikis and improve them c) Always look for new ways to present information d) Don't be afraid to talk to people and ask for help if needed e) Look for new wikis to explore and gather info from

7. What would you like to see that isn't on Wikia already?

If it's possible, I would like to see more music featured on Wikia. For example, I've already found a way for music to automatically start playing on a wiki's homepage and on your user profile. However, it requires the creation of a MediaWiki page which only admins are allowed to create so I wouldn't be able to do it on a wiki I'm not an admin on. So if there was a way we could add music to our profiles, that would be awesome!