FANDOM

(Update)
(without the category bit)

(7 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
{{Blogs by Thisismyrofl}}
+
{{Blogs by Thisismyrofl}}{{infobox character

Hey! This is [[User:Thisismyrofl|Thisismyrofl]], a former admin here on Community Central. I wanted to see if I could explain the difference between the three default styles of [[Template:Infobox]], that is, the '''''old'' style''' and the '''''old new'' style''' and the '''''[[Help:Portable infoboxes|"portable" new new'' style]]'''.

I'm referring here to the ''default'' styles, that is, those that were on the [[c:starter:Template:Infobox|Starter Pages Wiki's '''Template:Infobox''' page]]. Since every newly created wiki, at the time of its creation, is given a copy of every page and template on Starter Pages Wiki, that means that there are thousands of wikis that came with the ''old'' style, and thousands founded after September 2012 that came with the ''old new'' style, and thousands still founded after October 2015 with the ''"portable" new new'' style. The differences between the three styles are a common source of confusion.

Of course, any wiki is free to customize their infoboxes to a large extent, so there are thousands of wikis with a ''completely different'' style. Community Central is an example: our [[Template:Infobox]] is far removed from ''either'' the old or new format. I can only discuss the ''default'' infoboxes, not these customized versions.

Copies of these old and new versions can be found at:

*[[:Template:Infobox (new new)]]

*[http://starter.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox?oldid=3935 Template:Infobox (old new)]

*[http://starter.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox?oldid=3324 Template:Infobox (old)]

== So what's the difference? ==

{| style="background:transparent; border:transparent; margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;"

| style="width:300px;" |

{{infobox (new new)

| title = "Portable" new new infobox

| image = Thisismyrofl.png

| imagewidth = 150

| imagecaption = Demonstrating the [[:Template:Infobox (new new)|"portable" new new infobox]]!

| first = Bar

| second = Lol

| third = Hum

| fourth =

| fifth =

| sixth =

}}

| style="width:300px;" |

{| class="wikia-infobox"

|-

! class="wikia-infobox-header" colspan="2" | Old new infobox

|-

{{#if: Thisismyrofl.png |

{{!}} class="wikia-infobox-image" colspan="2" {{!}} [[File:Thisismyrofl.png|150px|Demonstrating the old new infobox!]]

| }}

|-

{{#if: Demonstrating the old new infobox! |

{{!}} class="wikia-infobox-caption" colspan="2" {{!}} Demonstrating the old new infobox!

| }}

|-

! colspan="2" | <div class="wikia-infobox-section-header">Some attributes</div>

|-

! First

| Bar

|-

! Second

| Lol

|-

! Third

| Hum

|-

! colspan="2" | <div class="wikia-infobox-section-header">Other attributes</div>

|-

{{#if: |

! Fourth

{{!}}

| }}

|-

! Fifth

{{!}}

| }}

|-

! Sixth

{{!}}

| }}

|- style="font-size:0; line-height:0;"

! style="width:50%; padding:0" |

! style="width:50%; padding:0" |

|}

| style="width:300px; |

{| class="infobox" style="font-size:89%; width:300px; background-color:#FFF;"

|-

! colspan="2" style="background-color:#3366CC; color:#FFFFFF; font-size:120%; padding:1em;" | Old infobox

{{#if: Image:Thisismyrofl.png|

{{!}}-

{{!}} colspan="2" style="text-align:center;" {{!}} [[Image:Thisismyrofl.png|150px]]<br/>''Demonstrating the old infobox!''

|

}}

|-

| style="width:30%;" |

'''Foo'''

| style="width:70%;" |

Bar

{{#if: Baz|

{{!}}-

{{!}}

'''Baz'''

{{!}}

Lol

{{#if: Hoo|

{{!}}-

{{!}}

'''Hoo'''

{{!}}

Hum

{{!}}-

{{!}}

''''''

{{!}}

{{!}}-

{{!}}

''''''

{{!}}

{{!}}-

{{!}}

''''''

{{!}}

{{!}}-

{{!}}

''''''

{{!}}

{{!}}-

{{!}}

''''''

{{!}}

{{!}}-

{{!}}

''''''

{{!}}

{{!}}-

{{!}}

''''''

{{!}}

{{!}}-

{{!}} colspan="2" style="text-align:center; background:#AAAAAA;" {{!}}

'''Too many parameters'''

|

}}

|

}}

|

}}

|

}}

|

}}

|

}}

|

}}

|

}}

|

}}

|

}}

|}

|}

<br clear="all" />

Above, you can see the three infobox styles. Obviously they've got different appearances, but the primary difference between the systems is that the ''old infobox'' allows you to define both the <u>row title</u> (above: "Foo", "Baz", "Hoo") and <u>row information</u> ("Bar", "Lol", "Hum") for each row on a page-by-page basis. The ''old new infobox'' and ''"portable" new new infobox'' only allow you to define the <u>row information</u> on a page-by-page basis, and uses a default set of row names: "First", "Second", "Third".

This becomes clear when we look at the default syntax (visible on the templates' Documentation pages). This is what you copy to a page and fill out in order to use the infobox on that page.

{| class="wikitable" style="margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;"

!

! "portable" new new style

! Old new style

! Old style

|-

! Syntax

|

<Pre>

{{infobox

| title =

| image =

| imagecaption =

| first =

| second =

| third =

| fourth =

| fifth =

| sixth =

| previous =

| next =

}}

</pre>

|

<pre>

{{infobox

| title =

| image =

| imagewidth =

| imagecaption =

| first =

| second =

| third =

| fourth =

| fifth =

| sixth =

}}

</pre>

|

<pre>

{{infobox

| Box title =

| image =

| imagewidth =

| caption =

| Row 1 title =

| Row 1 info =

| Row 2 title =

| Row 2 info =

| Row 3 title =

| Row 3 info =

| Row 4 title =

| Row 4 info =

| Row 5 title =

| Row 5 info =

| Row 6 title =

| Row 6 info =

| Row 7 title =

| Row 7 info =

| Row 8 title =

| Row 8 info =

| Row 9 title =

| Row 9 info =

| Row 10 title =

| Row 10 info =

}}

</pre>

|}

Check out '''[[Template:Infobox]] on ''your'' wiki'''<ref group="footnotes" name="cantfind" /> and compare its syntax format to the above, and its appearance, to see which version of the infobox template you use!

== But why do I want the new format? ==

{{infobox character

| title = New infobox derivative

| title = New infobox derivative

Line 9: Line 9:

| height = A million

| height = A million

| weight = Negative twenty

| weight = Negative twenty
}}
+
}}Hey! This is [[User:Thisismyrofl|Thisismyrofl]], a former admin here on Community Central. I wanted to see if I could explain how to make an infobox in the ''[[Help:Portable infoboxes|"portable" new]]'' style of [[Template:Infobox]].
A lot of people are initially turned off by the first style. ''"'First', 'Second', 'Third'? Those aren't useful! I want to have useful row names,"'' they'll say.

Your concerns are valid. But please realize something about '''Template:Infobox''': it is unwise to directly use it. You see, '''Template:Infobox''' is meant to be a <u>meta template</u>: a template which is used to make other templates, and not really for direct use in articles.
+
I'm referring here to the ''default'' styles, that is, those that were on the [[c:starter:Template:Infobox|Starter Pages Wiki's '''Template:Infobox''' page]]. For more information on the different default styles of [[Template:Infobox]], see [[User blog:Thisismyrofl/Infoboxes old and new|my other blog]].

The ''intention'' with the new system is that instead of having every-single-blasted-page on a wiki repeatedly define row names which will tend to often be the same, the user can use more specific templates such as '''"Template:Infobox character"''', '''"Template:Infobox location"''', and so on, with predefined, sensible row titles for each. Then all one has to do is select the appropriate infobox template for a page (character, location, etc) and the row names will be already filled out for you.
+
Making an infobox can seem intimidating at first but it's not too hard! Let's do it. First, let's decide where we want the infobox to be. Once we have a bare-bones infobox at that location, we can customize it to our needs.

== Switching infobox styles ==
+
The whole point of the new infobox system is that '''you don't directly use [[:Template:Infobox]]''', but rather, you copy it to a new location and adapt it. Let's do that!
If your wiki uses the ''old style Template:Infobox'' or an unfamiliar infobox, it's easy to switch to the new. Or, if you are uncomfortable with the new style, it's easy to switch to the old.

Please note that if your wiki already makes excessive use of any Template:Infobox, any changes to that template are liable to break pages. Use '''[[Special:Whatlinkshere]] on ''your'' wiki'''<ref group="footnotes" name="cantfind" /> to find out if it's used anywhere!
+
== Step one: Think of an infobox you want. ==
  +
Are you making an infobox for use on characters' pages? Or for songs? Think of a title for your infobox.

You have the freedom to edit the templates of your wiki however you want. <span style="color:red;font-weight:bold;">But before you revert to the old style of infobox, please give the new style a chance!</span> See "But why do I want the new format?" for reasons why.
+
Here are some example infobox names. Pick one, or feel free to make your own!
<tabber>
+
* [[c:starter:Template:Infobox album|Infobox album]]
... = Do you want to switch to the "portable" new new style, to the OLD NEW style, or to the OLD style? Click above.
+
* [[c:starter:Template:Infobox book|Infobox book]]
|-|
+
* [[c:starter:Template:Infobox character|Infobox character]]
Switch to "portable" NEW NEW=
+
* [[c:starter:Template:Infobox episode|Infobox episode]]
Here's how to switch to the "portable" new new infobox style from the old style, or from an unfamiliar style.
+
* [[c:starter:Template:Infobox event|Infobox event]]
==== Switching to the ''"portable" new new'' infobox style ====
+
* [[c:starter:Template:Infobox item|Infobox item]]
# Go to the page '''[[Template:Infobox]] on ''your'' wiki'''<ref group="footnotes" name="cantfind" /> and hit "Edit".
+
* [[c:starter:Template:Infobox location|Infobox location]]
# '''Optional -''' As an edit summary, paste the following:<br /><code><nowiki>Copied from [[w:c:starter:Template:Infobox]]</nowiki></code><br />This custom edit summary is optional but a good idea.
+
* [[c:starter:Template:Infobox quest|Infobox quest]]
# In another tab, go to [http://starter.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox?action=edit the code for '''Template:Infobox''' on Starter Pages Wiki] and copy the source code to the field for "Template:Infobox" on ''your'' wiki.
+
If you chose one listed above, ''you're in luck!'' That template is likely to already exist on your wiki. Go to '''the equivalent page on ''your'' wiki'''<ref group="footnotes" name="cantfind"/> and work off of it. Skip step two and go on to step three.
# Save the page - I advise you don't edit the code any before you save it, so you have something clean to revert to if necessary.

===== Switching documentation =====
+
Does the above list not have anything like what you need? Or do you need an item listed that's not actually on your wiki (this is possible)? That's OK. Just go through Step Two.
The above steps should update the template, however the template documentation will still pertain to the old template. Your template will still function, but anyone trying to learn how to use it will be very confused! Let's update the documentation too.
+
# Go to the page '''[[Template:Infobox/doc]] on ''your'' wiki'''<ref group="footnotes" name="cantfind" /> and hit "Edit".
+
== Step two: Copy "Template:Infobox" to your new location. ==
# '''Optional -''' As an edit summary, paste the following:<br /><code><nowiki>Copied from [[w:c:starter:Template:Infobox/doc]]</nowiki></code><br />This custom edit summary is optional but a good idea.
+
Let's say I want an infobox for levels from the game ''Wolfenstein 3D''. I'll put my infobox at '''Infobox Wolf3D level'''. If I wanted to create such a template, here's the steps I'd follow.
# In another tab, go to [http://starter.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox/doc?action=edit the documentation for '''Template:Infobox''' on Starter Pages Wiki] and copy the source code to the field for "Template:Infobox/doc" on ''your'' wiki.
+
# Save the page - I advise you don't edit the code any before you save it, so you have something clean to revert to if necessary.
+
There are two sets of instructions. Which one you should use depends on whether '''[[Template:Infobox]] on ''your'' wiki'''<ref group="footnotes" name="cantfind" /> is the new new portable ("First", "Second", "Third") format or one of the old formats. If you don't know, just use the first (default) set of instructions or head to [[User_blog:Thisismyrofl/Infoboxes_old_and_new#So_what.27s_the_difference.3F|my other blog]] to know the difference.
|-|

Switch to OLD NEW=

Here's how to switch to the old new infobox style from the new style, or from an unfamiliar style.

==== Switching to the ''old new'' infobox style ====

# Go to the page '''[[Template:Infobox]] on ''your'' wiki'''<ref group="footnotes" name="cantfind" /> and hit "Edit".

# '''Optional -''' As an edit summary, paste the following:<br /><code><nowiki>Copied from old revision of [[w:c:starter:Template:Infobox]]</nowiki></code><br />This custom edit summary is optional but a good idea.

# In another tab, go to [http://starter.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox?oldid=3935 the old code for Starter Pages' infobox] and copy the source code to the field for "Template:Infobox" on ''your'' wiki.

+
<tabber>...=
The above steps should update the template, however the template documentation will still pertain to the old template. Your template will still function, but anyone trying to learn how to use it will be very confused! Let's update the documentation too.
+
Do you have the new format of [[:Template:Infobox]] installed on your wiki? Click "No, or I don't know" or "Yes".
# Go to the page '''[[Template:Infobox/doc]] on ''your'' wiki'''<ref group="footnotes" name="cantfind" /> and hit "Edit".

# '''Optional -''' As an edit summary, paste the following:<br /><code><nowiki>Copied from old revision of [[w:c:starter:Template:Infobox/doc]]</nowiki></code><br />This custom edit summary is optional but a good idea.

# In another tab, go to [http://starter.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox/doc?oldid=3953 the old documentation for '''Template:Infobox''' on Starter Pages Wiki] and copy the source code to the field for "Template:Infobox/doc" on ''your'' wiki.

|-|

|-|
Switch to OLD=
+
No, or I don't know=
Here's how to switch to the old infobox style from the new style, or from an unfamiliar style.
+
# Go to the page '''[[Template:Infobox Wolf3D level]] on ''your'' wiki'''<ref group="footnotes" name="cantfind" /> and hit "Edit".<br />Remember to substitute in the name of the infobox you want instead of "Wolf3D level"!
==== Switching to the ''old'' infobox style ====
+
# '''Optional -''' As an edit summary, paste the following:<br /><code><nowiki>Copied from [[w:c:starter:Template:Infobox]]</nowiki></code><br />This custom edit summary is optional but a good idea.
+
# In another tab, go to [http://starter.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox?action=edit the code for '''Template:Infobox''' on Starter Pages Wiki] and copy the source code to the field for "Template:Infobox Wolf3D level" on ''your'' wiki.
# '''Optional -''' As an edit summary, paste the following:<br /><code><nowiki>Copied from old revision of [[w:c:starter:Template:Infobox]]</nowiki></code><br />This custom edit summary is optional but a good idea.
+
# Save the page - I advise you don't edit the code any before you save it, so you have something clean to revert to if necessary,
# In another tab, go to [http://starter.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox?oldid=3324 the old code for Starter Pages' infobox] and copy the source code to the field for "Template:Infobox" on ''your'' wiki.
+
|-|Yes=
  +
# Go to the page '''[[Template:Infobox Wolf3D level]] on ''your'' wiki'''<ref group="footnotes" name="cantfind" /> and hit "Edit".<br />Remember to substitute in the name of the infobox you want instead of "Wolf3D level"!
  +
# '''Optional -''' As an edit summary, paste the following:<br /><code><nowiki>Copied from [[Template:Infobox]]</nowiki></code><br />This custom edit summary is optional but a good idea.
  +
# In another tab, go to '''[[Template:Infobox]] on ''your'' wiki'''<ref group="footnotes" name="cantfind" /> and copy the source code to the field for "Template:Infobox Wolf3D level" on ''your'' wiki.

# '''Optional -''' As an edit summary, paste the following:<br /><code><nowiki>Copied from old revision of [[w:c:starter:Template:Infobox/doc]]</nowiki></code><br />This custom edit summary is optional but a good idea.

# In another tab, go to [http://starter.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox/doc?action=edit&oldid=3459 the old documentation for '''Template:Infobox''' on Starter Pages Wiki] and copy the source code to the field for "Template:Infobox/doc" on ''your'' wiki.

</tabber>

</tabber>

== Creating a ''"portable" new new'' infobox ==
+
== Step three: Customize your infobox! ==
Ooh, creating a ''"portable" new new'' infobox can be a bit tricky - but I'll do my best to explain how to do it! You'll be able to see my instructions at my other blogs:
+
This is kinda a big step, so I put it in its own blog: [[User blog:Thisismyrofl/Customizing a portable new-style infobox]]. Take a look!
* [[User blog:Thisismyrofl/Creating a portable new-new-style infobox]]

* [[User blog:Thisismyrofl/Customizing a portable new-new-style infobox]]

== Creating an ''old new'' infobox ==

I once made blogs for creating and customizing old-new style infoboxes. They're outdated now, but I preserve them for posterity.

* [[User blog:Thisismyrofl/Creating an old-new-style infobox]]

* [[User blog:Thisismyrofl/Customizing an old-new-style infobox]]

Or see Rappy's [[User blog:Rappy 4187/Guide to Infoboxes]].

== Notes ==

== Notes ==
Line 70: Line 64:

== See also ==

== See also ==

* [[Help:Infobox]]

* [[Help:Infobox]]
* [[User blog:Thisismyrofl/Creating an old-new-style infobox]]
+
* [[User blog:Thisismyrofl/Infoboxes portable, old, and new]]
* [[User blog:Thisismyrofl/Customizing an old-new-style infobox]]
+
* [[User blog:Thisismyrofl/Customizing a portable new-style infobox]]
* [[User blog:Rappy 4187/Guide to Infoboxes]]

[[Category:Blog posts]]

[[Category:Blog posts]]
  +
[[Category:Community Highlights]]

Latest revision as of 19:23, December 7, 2015

150px-1330470.png Other blogs by Thisismyrofl
Infoboxes
Suggestions

Hey! This is Thisismyrofl, a former admin here on Community Central. I wanted to see if I could explain how to make an infobox in the "portable" new style of Template:Infobox.

I'm referring here to the default styles, that is, those that were on the Starter Pages Wiki's Template:Infobox page. For more information on the different default styles of Template:Infobox, see my other blog.

Making an infobox can seem intimidating at first but it's not too hard! Let's do it. First, let's decide where we want the infobox to be. Once we have a bare-bones infobox at that location, we can customize it to our needs.

The whole point of the new infobox system is that you don't directly use Template:Infobox, but rather, you copy it to a new location and adapt it. Let's do that!

Step one: Think of an infobox you want. Edit

Are you making an infobox for use on characters' pages? Or for songs? Think of a title for your infobox.

Here are some example infobox names. Pick one, or feel free to make your own!

If you chose one listed above, you're in luck! That template is likely to already exist on your wiki. Go to the equivalent page on your wiki[footnotes 1] and work off of it. Skip step two and go on to step three.

Does the above list not have anything like what you need? Or do you need an item listed that's not actually on your wiki (this is possible)? That's OK. Just go through Step Two.

Step two: Copy "Template:Infobox" to your new location. Edit

Let's say I want an infobox for levels from the game Wolfenstein 3D. I'll put my infobox at Infobox Wolf3D level. If I wanted to create such a template, here's the steps I'd follow.

There are two sets of instructions. Which one you should use depends on whether Template:Infobox on your wiki[footnotes 1] is the new new portable ("First", "Second", "Third") format or one of the old formats. If you don't know, just use the first (default) set of instructions or head to my other blog to know the difference.

Do you have the new format of Template:Infobox installed on your wiki? Click "No, or I don't know" or "Yes".

1. Go to the page Template:Infobox Wolf3D level on your wiki[footnotes 1] and hit "Edit".
    Remember to substitute in the name of the infobox you want instead of "Wolf3D level"!
  2. Optional - As an edit summary, paste the following:
    Copied from [[w:c:starter:Template:Infobox]]
    This custom edit summary is optional but a good idea.
  3. In another tab, go to the code for Template:Infobox on Starter Pages Wiki and copy the source code to the field for "Template:Infobox Wolf3D level" on your wiki.
  4. Save the page - I advise you don't edit the code any before you save it, so you have something clean to revert to if necessary,

1. Go to the page Template:Infobox Wolf3D level on your wiki[footnotes 1] and hit "Edit".
    Remember to substitute in the name of the infobox you want instead of "Wolf3D level"!
  2. Optional - As an edit summary, paste the following:
    Copied from [[Template:Infobox]]
    This custom edit summary is optional but a good idea.
  3. In another tab, go to Template:Infobox on your wiki[footnotes 1] and copy the source code to the field for "Template:Infobox Wolf3D level" on your wiki.
  4. Save the page - I advise you don't edit the code any before you save it, so you have something clean to revert to if necessary.

Step three: Customize your infobox! Edit

This is kinda a big step, so I put it in its own blog: User blog:Thisismyrofl/Customizing a portable new-style infobox. Take a look!

Notes Edit

1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 A number of times, this page refers to pages on your wiki, such as "Template:Infobox on your wiki". I don't know what your wiki is, so I can't directly link to it.
    If you're having trouble finding the correct page, just go to <yourwiki>.wikia.com/wiki/<page> by typing it in your browser's address bar.
    Or just click the link to go to the equivalent page on Community Central, then edit the URL so that community.wikia.com is substituted with your wiki's URL: for example wolfenstein.wikia.com.

See also Edit

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.