This Wednesday, we are tentatively planning to release a new search for Wikia called Lucene Search. This is the search engine that Wikipedia has been using for quite some time, and provides a number of significant advantages:
- Short words are properly indexed (the old search ignored words with fewer than 4 letters).
- Numbers are indexed.
- "Common words" are indexed (words such as "from", "with", and "what" were previously ignored).
- Search is no longer case sensitive.
- Relevance should be dramatically improved--results are ranked by how the search terms are used within the page, number of incoming links to the page, and a number of other factors to provide the best possible results.
- Results display the rendered text of the pages rather than the raw source with MediaWiki markup, which should make them significantly more readable.
Click here to follow the Fandom staff blog.
Interested in learning more about community management on Fandom?
Click here to view our community management blog.
Read through our Best Practices guides for keeping your community growing and healthy.
Want to get real-time access to fellow editors and staff?
Join our Official Discord server for registered editors!