Community Central
Community Central

Hello everyone!

For those who don't know me yet, I’m Héctor Donís, one of the Fandom Community Managers. Even though I've been working for this company for almost a decade, and I’ve been publishing more than one hundred blog posts on Comunidad Central, this is my first one here on Community Central! And the purpose why I’m doing it couldn’t be better: to celebrate the Hispanic Heritage Month with you!

Fandom Hispanic Heritage

What is the Hispanic Heritage Month?

The Hispanic Heritage Month is currently an observance period in the United States for recognizing the contributions and influence of the Hispanic Americans to their history, culture and achievements.

It started as the Hispanic Heritage Week in 1968, being September 15 the starting point because the anniversary of the independence of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. In addition, Mexico also had this event on September 16, Chile on September 18 and Belize on September 21, which eventually made the observance to be extended to a month in 1989.

Celebrating it from September 15 to October 15, we extend this initiative to acknowledge all the Hispanic people, people with Hispanic ancestors, or simply anyone with some relation with the Hispanic culture over the world.

What can we do?

The Hispanic culture and influence is really prominent in society, through areas like food (arepa, paella, burrito), music (flamenco, salsa, tango) or games (lotería, dominoes, draughts). In addition, the Fandom family typically celebrates the events with our fan passions.

Just below, I’m highlighting featured movies, TV shows and fictional characters related to Hispanic culture. I recommend all of you to take a look at their wikis, think about the shows and characters and how they influence us, and give the chance to improve and extend these wikis with your edits.

To start with, my colleagues on Fanatical published a blog post featuring their favourite Hispanic video game characters. In addition, we are also planning some surprises for D&D Beyond. Furthermore, alongside this blog post you can join our dedicated Discord server and sign up to our future actions! The more people and availability to participate, the more initiatives and activities we can organize!

Fandom recommendations

We've been working on the following bunch of recommendations. We've found both shows strongly related with the Hispanic culture, but also specific Hispanic characters in other mainstream shows or games, so we've decided to show them in four different categories.

To get started, please take a look at the following movies:

As if this were not enough, we can also suggest you all these TV series, currently available on Netflix:

Furthermore, as we’ve mentioned, we also want to showcase the next specific characters:

And finally, extending the proposal from Fanatical, we wanted to show all the following Hispanic video game characters:

And, for now,... That's all Folks! (unfortunately, Porky Pig didn’t allow Speedy Gonzales to say goodbye). I’m eager to know all your ideas and thoughts for this event, so I really encourage all of you to express your opinion and feelings using the Comments section. For instance, talking about our recommendations but also suggesting new ones (which of course I will add here).

I also wait for all of you in our Discord server, and I’m happy to see you in future blog posts!

Hector Avatar
Fandom Staff
Héctor Donís is one of the Community Managers at Fandom. He has been a Fandom user since 2007. He loves video games, music, sports, movies, TV... and everything that can be fun! He has been working as a Fandom staff since 2011, initially helping the Spanish community.
Want to stay up to date on the latest feature releases and news from Fandom?
Click here to follow the Fandom staff blog.

Click here to sign up for the From the Desk of Community email newsletter.

Want to get real-time access to fellow editors and staff?
Join our Official Discord server for registered editors!