Community Central
Community Central

Have you ever wanted to apply for/receive a certain user right on a certain wiki, but either didn't succeed or never knew whether or not you were qualified, and you want to increase your chances? Worry no more; in this blog I will be addressing all the advice on how to be promoted to the following positions: administrator, bueraucrat, chat moderator, discussion moderator, and rollback.

Advice by rights[]

Rollback[]

A rollback is a user who has the ability to revert the latest edit(s) on a page in one click: by simply pressing the button in the revision that reads "[rollback]". This is a quicker and more convenient means to revert vandalism or other counterproductive contributions and helps prevent them from disrupting the recent activity feed.

In order to become a rollback, it is ideal that your edits be constructive to the community. In addition, it is best recommended to monitor the recent activity feed on a frequent basis and modify the latest edits to make them more constructive as well as undo the ones that aren't constructive.

Being a rollback on the SpongeBob wiki Encyclopedia SpongeBobia, I can safely say that this might be the easiest right to get, as I got promoted to the position on the said wiki in only a month, a starking contrast in time to others on the wiki who have received the right.

Discussion moderator[]

A discussion moderator is a user who monitors the discussions, forums, and comments. These users have the ability to delete, edit, and restore comments.

In order to become a discussion moderator, it is recommended that you remain relatively active in the wiki's discussions, forums, and/or comments sections. Not only that, but be respectful toward others at all costs and overall remain a friendly user. Also know what you're doing and give correct advice to those asking for help. If a certain wiki has a set of discussion policies, be sure to follow them. Additionally, report to discussion moderators or admins in regards to comments/threads that are inappropriate to have them deleted, and if a certain thread/comment that wasn't inappropriate happened to be deleted, ask them to restore it.

Chat moderator[]

A chat moderator is a user who monitors the wiki's live chatroom. These users have the ability to kick, ban, and unban users from chat (the first of the three which serves as a warning and kicks the user out of the chatroom but doesn't prevent them from re-entering afterwards).

In order to become a chat moderator, it is recommended that you remain relatively active in the wiki's chatroom. Read through the wiki's chat policy if they have one and be sure to follow its rules. Since chat moderator is a social role, the same thing I said about the social requirments for becoming a discussion mod applies here: be respectful toward others and remain an overall friendly user. In addition, if a user in the chatroom is violating the policy, it is best recommended that you contact an active admin/chat mod on their message wall to warn/ban the user. If a user needs to be unbanned as well, it is also recommended that you contact the banning mod/admin about it.

Administrator[]

An administrator is a user who has sysop powers. These users have the ability to block users, protect/unprotect pages, and edit protected pages. In addition, they have all the features of the previously mentioned rights (rollback, discussion mod, and chat mod) in their right.

This is arguably the most difficult-to-receive user right. It takes an impressive amount of competence to achieve and is a huge responsibility. In order to be promoted, I'd reccomend meeting all the criteria I recommended for the previous rights (constructive edits, frequent activity, and respectful and helpful towards the community), only with even more dedication. It takes quite a while and I'd recommend remaining an active member of the community for at least 6 months.

Bueraucrat[]

A bueraucrat is an administrator who has the ability to grant other users access to certain rights. I'd only recommend requesting for this right if you have admin powers first. Additionally, I recommend being an admin for at least 6 months or 1 year. Most importantly though, you should have an extreme dedication in helping the community and take your responsibility as an admin.

Tips[]

• I'd recommend you contribute to the community for at least 1 month before requesting for rights, because by that point you will have enough experience with the wiki and be ready for promotion.
  • Realize that this isn't a game. You should want to be promoted because you have a dedication to helping the community, not because you want to face a competition with them.
  • Frequent activity does not always mean one is ready to receive rights. Remember, quality over quantity. Your respect towards the community is what matters the most, and a lack of it likely won't get you anywhere close to receiving rights.
  • Don't feel left out just because you don't have rights. You can always help out a community without having them and people will appreciate you just as much as they appreciate those who do have rights.
  • In the case of wanting to apply for the discussion and chat moderator rights, do not mini-mod/tell others what they can and cannot do; please leave it to the mods and admins.
  • Also in the case of the discussion and chat mod rights, don't feed the trolls. They are nothing more than nasty people out there who want attention, and giving them just that will encourage them to keep it up. Ignoring them, on the other hand, will likely decrease their power and eventually cause them to give up.
  • Most importantly, do not abuse your powers.

That should be all. Thank you all for reading and I hope I helped anyone out there looking for advice on how to achieve these rights!! Thanks again. :)