Community Central
Community Central
(Update and organization)
No edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
  +
I'm Styro. You may have heard of me. Chances are, though, you'll be hearing much less about me over the coming months (and possibly years).
  +
  +
And lo, with a sharp exhalation the world retracts in shock! The clutching of chests commences and the sounds of precious china shattering on the floor sweep across the globe!
  +
  +
Okay. Don't panic. Point of order. It's not what you might expect it to be:
  +
  +
*I'm not vanishing completely, never to return. I'll still be here, and able to be contacted should you choose to do so. 
  +
*I will still be editing, for the most part. It won't be as frequent as it used to be. In recent months you've gotten a taste of how active I might be in the near future (i.e. not very).
  +
*I still ''might'' get involved with new things that are overly ambitious. I know, I know, I probably shouldn't, but I can only handle so much logic and reason over excitement and impulse.
  +
  +
But the fact of the matter is that at this point in life there are many important things needing attention, and I have to prioritize these things in order for it to all make sense. As it happens, Wikia is not very high on the list.
  +
  +
Now, what exactly this means is different depending on the particular wiki I am involved with. If you need me, are looking for me, or are simply curious, check the list of wikis below from the table of contents and you'll see the long term plan for my involvement with them. (If you need me immediately, particularly if it's for something I promised to do, [[User:Styracosaurus Rider#Any other wikis where I might have a responsibility|go here]].)
  +
  +
Remember: '''when in doubt, [[User talk:Styracosaurus Rider|drop me a line]].'''
  +
==[[w:c:prehistoricearth|Wiki Prehistorica]]==
  +
I'm still going to try to contribute to this, time permitting. It's the oldest and most consistent project I've been involved with for three and a half years and by god I'm going to find another admin for this place even if it kills me.
  +
  +
Once I organize everything properly, establish guidelines for the future, build an active userbase and find another admin or two to keep things in check, I'm probably going to step back for a while and let them take care of everyday maintenance. That makes the most sense (to me at least).
  +
  +
In any case, I've got big plans for the wiki in the medium/long-term future - some of which may involve moving off Wikia itself. Do contact me if you want details - it would certainly be beneficial to have someone to bounce ideas off of.
  +
==[[w:c:jurassicpark|Jurassic Park Wiki]] + [[w:c:jpfanon|Jurassic Park Fanon Wiki]]==
  +
Ah, the exceptions to my mostly consistent strategy. As you might be aware the Jurassic Park franchise is about to hit it big once again. Trouble is, its wiki and its accompanying fanon wiki aren't exactly the best organized in the world. We have a pitifully small team of admins, certainly fewer than would be required on such a wiki. I have a plan worked out for a "reboot" of the wiki, if you will, which will hopefully clean things up a bit.
  +
  +
After all the kinks are worked out, I'll try and step back from most major editing. 
  +
==[[w:c:whoniversefanon|Whoniverse Fanon Wiki]]==
  +
So I'm signed up to write some stories. I will still be writing those stories, and in the timeframe allotted. But the chances of me writing any more stories are somewhat slim. (If you give me a good concept, that might help.)
  +
==[http://tinyurl.com/rlyehisactuallynotaplaceatall The Pantheon]==
  +
(Don't worry if you don't know what this is. It won't pertain to you, so there's no sense in worrying about it.)
  +
  +
If we do get this thing started up again, definitely let me know. I'd be more than happy for a fresh start. It definitely won't be the same old, though.
  +
  +
Basically, since it all sort of fizzled to a halt, I've borrowed several elements of the Plan and stuck them into other things that I'm doing. Often, they fit better into that context. It's going to seem sort of weird to bring back the original concepts and stick them back into that older context. They'll be better utilized elsewhere, methinks.
  +
  +
What of those other contexts? None of it will ever make it online. That's almost certain. But if you want to know more, I'll be happy to oblige, either here or in Mibbit. Whatever works.
  +
  +
Oh, and ''almost'' the entire Plan could be explained through the use of a hyperadvanced multiversal civilization of single-celled organisms.
  +
  +
Because reasons. :3
  +
==Any other wikis where I have admin privileges==
  +
The likliehood is that I won't be coming back any time soon, if at all. The exception might be [[w:c:reptiles|Reptipedia]], although it rarely crosses my mind at all, so the chances of that are slim. If you think it necessary, feel free to take my admin rights and give them to someone else who might need/deserve it. I'm fine with that. Though if you do require me, see directly below.
  +
==Any other wikis where I might have a responsibility==
  +
Have I forgotten to do something that I said I would do? Follow these easy steps:
  +
#'''Find my talk page/message wall.''' (It could be on that particular wiki, it could be on Community Central, heck, it could be on any darn wiki. It all notifies me the same way. But if you do decide to contact me on another wiki, be sure to provide a link to where you need me.)
  +
#'''Leave me a message by berating me about what I was supposed to do and tell me to go do that thing.''' (An example format could look something like "YO STYRO YOU WERE GOING TO [insert that thing I was supposed to do here] BUT YOU DIDN'T AND IT KIND OF NEEDS TO BE DONE SO GET OVER HERE RIGHT NOW BEFORE WE HUNT YOU DOWN")
  +
#'''Click Publish.'''
  +
#'''Hopefully when I read your message I will be suitably mortified and go do that thing you asked me to do, or at the very least provide a legitimate excuse why I might not be able to do that thing immediately.'''
  +
#'''Repeat as necessary.'''
  +
==Summary==
  +
Hopefully you got the answer you wanted by reading this page. If not, refer to the "when in doubt" rule spelled out further above.
  +
  +
Once again: I'm not gone forever, and I'll still be here, though my activity will be moderately to greatly to reduced. I probably won't be joining any new projects unless I have a very good reason to do so.If you have any questions/need me for something/[insert miscellaneous request here] go to my talk page/message wall and say it there. Can't stress this enough. That's how things get done around here in Ye Olde Wikia Towne.
  +
  +
That's pretty much it. I can't think of some meaningful conclusion to end it on. 
  +
  +
Read a book or something.
  +

[[User:Styracosaurus Rider|Styro]] <small>([[User talk:Styracosaurus Rider|Contact me]])</small> <small><small><sup>[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC3vRX7XkWw We have a T. rex!]</sup></small></small> 17:54, April 28, 2014 (UTC)
  +

{{quote|'''Call me Styro.''' Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no duties to accomplish in the real world at that moment, and nothing particular to interest me offline, I thought I would browse around a little and start to edit on Wikia. It is a way I have of procrastinating, and regulating my unusual and somewhat eccentric mind. Whenever I find myself growing grim about Cretaceous melanosomes; whenever it is not a Saturday when ''Doctor Who'' is on; whenever I find myself involuntarily confused while trying to research the correct date of the de-extinction of the Pyrenean ibex; and bringing up the rear of every steampunk convention I happen across; and especially when some amateur ''Jurassic Park'' enthusiasts become enraged whilst arguing whether ''Tyrannosaurus'' or ''Spinosaurus'' would win in a fight (a trivial matter which I feel merits no further attention, seeing as it's only a movie anyway), that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and giving those fools a right smack followed by a comprehensive paleontological education - then, I account it a high time to get to Wikia as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball, and occasionally fisticuffs, depending on how annoying people get. With a decidedly un-philosophical flourish and a great deal of noise they throw themselves upon the sword; and I take to the MediaWiki Foundation. I then proceed to clean the sword; after all, I feel it rather pointless to get a good sword dirty when it can be displayed above the mantlepiece.|Styracosaurus Rider}}

{{quote|'''Call me Styro.''' Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no duties to accomplish in the real world at that moment, and nothing particular to interest me offline, I thought I would browse around a little and start to edit on Wikia. It is a way I have of procrastinating, and regulating my unusual and somewhat eccentric mind. Whenever I find myself growing grim about Cretaceous melanosomes; whenever it is not a Saturday when ''Doctor Who'' is on; whenever I find myself involuntarily confused while trying to research the correct date of the de-extinction of the Pyrenean ibex; and bringing up the rear of every steampunk convention I happen across; and especially when some amateur ''Jurassic Park'' enthusiasts become enraged whilst arguing whether ''Tyrannosaurus'' or ''Spinosaurus'' would win in a fight (a trivial matter which I feel merits no further attention, seeing as it's only a movie anyway), that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and giving those fools a right smack followed by a comprehensive paleontological education - then, I account it a high time to get to Wikia as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball, and occasionally fisticuffs, depending on how annoying people get. With a decidedly un-philosophical flourish and a great deal of noise they throw themselves upon the sword; and I take to the MediaWiki Foundation. I then proceed to clean the sword; after all, I feel it rather pointless to get a good sword dirty when it can be displayed above the mantlepiece.|Styracosaurus Rider}}

The above quote is entirely factual.

==Who am I?==

A science guy (but not that one) from New Jersey ('''Eastern Time Zone, UTC-05:00''') with a penchant for wasting more time on the Internet than is likely necessary.

Things I enjoy:

*Paleontology

*Herpetoculture

*Jurassic Park

*Doctor Who

*Fiction

*Non-fiction

*Top hats

==List of good wikis==

*[[w:c:prehistoricearth|Wiki Prehistorica]] - I guess you can consider it my "home" wiki (being its founder and all), though I edit there spastically. I'm trying to be more active there and shape things up so it can become a successful, active community. (Though I do appreciate people who come and contribute at the current time, I would also appreciate it if you kept those edits to a minimum. I'm trying to work on things like a Manual of Style, an image licensing policy, and other changes that might render your edits quickly obsolete. Hope you understand. <happy smile>)

*[[w:c:jurassicpark|Jurassic Park Wiki]] - Movie #4 arrives June 12, 2015. Be ready. (I'm an admin there, and these days I'm mostly in charge of wiki design and layout.)

*[[w:c:jpfanon|Jurassic Park Fanon Wiki]] - Four years' worth of Jurassic Park IV stories rendered obsolete June 12, 2015. (I jest, of course. Come on down if you want, we've got some really nice people.)

*[[w:c:reptiles|Reptipedia]] - I edit there even less. One day we'll probably sort things out and perfect the content. There may or may not be one or two active editors still there, but if you feel like you want to contribute as well, drop me a line. I'll pop in and help.

*[[w:c:doctorwhofanon|Doctor Who Fanon Wiki]] - I'm not an admin there, but it's one of my more frequent hangouts in recent months. I can assure you, however, that the admin currently in charge is super duper nice and a friend of mine.

==In summary==

Call me Styro. [[User:Styracosaurus Rider|Styro]] <small>([[User talk:Styracosaurus Rider|Contact me]])</small> <small><small><sup>[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC3vRX7XkWw We have a T. rex!]</sup></small></small> 18:48, January 19, 2014 (UTC)

Revision as of 17:54, 28 April 2014

I'm Styro. You may have heard of me. Chances are, though, you'll be hearing much less about me over the coming months (and possibly years).

And lo, with a sharp exhalation the world retracts in shock! The clutching of chests commences and the sounds of precious china shattering on the floor sweep across the globe!

Okay. Don't panic. Point of order. It's not what you might expect it to be:

• I'm not vanishing completely, never to return. I'll still be here, and able to be contacted should you choose to do so. 
  • I will still be editing, for the most part. It won't be as frequent as it used to be. In recent months you've gotten a taste of how active I might be in the near future (i.e. not very).
  • I still might get involved with new things that are overly ambitious. I know, I know, I probably shouldn't, but I can only handle so much logic and reason over excitement and impulse.

But the fact of the matter is that at this point in life there are many important things needing attention, and I have to prioritize these things in order for it to all make sense. As it happens, Wikia is not very high on the list.

Now, what exactly this means is different depending on the particular wiki I am involved with. If you need me, are looking for me, or are simply curious, check the list of wikis below from the table of contents and you'll see the long term plan for my involvement with them. (If you need me immediately, particularly if it's for something I promised to do, go here.)

Remember: when in doubt, drop me a line.

Wiki Prehistorica

I'm still going to try to contribute to this, time permitting. It's the oldest and most consistent project I've been involved with for three and a half years and by god I'm going to find another admin for this place even if it kills me.

Once I organize everything properly, establish guidelines for the future, build an active userbase and find another admin or two to keep things in check, I'm probably going to step back for a while and let them take care of everyday maintenance. That makes the most sense (to me at least).

In any case, I've got big plans for the wiki in the medium/long-term future - some of which may involve moving off Wikia itself. Do contact me if you want details - it would certainly be beneficial to have someone to bounce ideas off of.

Jurassic Park Wiki + Jurassic Park Fanon Wiki

Ah, the exceptions to my mostly consistent strategy. As you might be aware the Jurassic Park franchise is about to hit it big once again. Trouble is, its wiki and its accompanying fanon wiki aren't exactly the best organized in the world. We have a pitifully small team of admins, certainly fewer than would be required on such a wiki. I have a plan worked out for a "reboot" of the wiki, if you will, which will hopefully clean things up a bit.

After all the kinks are worked out, I'll try and step back from most major editing. 

Whoniverse Fanon Wiki

So I'm signed up to write some stories. I will still be writing those stories, and in the timeframe allotted. But the chances of me writing any more stories are somewhat slim. (If you give me a good concept, that might help.)

The Pantheon

(Don't worry if you don't know what this is. It won't pertain to you, so there's no sense in worrying about it.)

If we do get this thing started up again, definitely let me know. I'd be more than happy for a fresh start. It definitely won't be the same old, though.

Basically, since it all sort of fizzled to a halt, I've borrowed several elements of the Plan and stuck them into other things that I'm doing. Often, they fit better into that context. It's going to seem sort of weird to bring back the original concepts and stick them back into that older context. They'll be better utilized elsewhere, methinks.

What of those other contexts? None of it will ever make it online. That's almost certain. But if you want to know more, I'll be happy to oblige, either here or in Mibbit. Whatever works.

Oh, and almost the entire Plan could be explained through the use of a hyperadvanced multiversal civilization of single-celled organisms.

Because reasons. :3

Any other wikis where I have admin privileges

The likliehood is that I won't be coming back any time soon, if at all. The exception might be Reptipedia, although it rarely crosses my mind at all, so the chances of that are slim. If you think it necessary, feel free to take my admin rights and give them to someone else who might need/deserve it. I'm fine with that. Though if you do require me, see directly below.

Any other wikis where I might have a responsibility

Have I forgotten to do something that I said I would do? Follow these easy steps:

1. Find my talk page/message wall. (It could be on that particular wiki, it could be on Community Central, heck, it could be on any darn wiki. It all notifies me the same way. But if you do decide to contact me on another wiki, be sure to provide a link to where you need me.)
  2. Leave me a message by berating me about what I was supposed to do and tell me to go do that thing. (An example format could look something like "YO STYRO YOU WERE GOING TO [insert that thing I was supposed to do here] BUT YOU DIDN'T AND IT KIND OF NEEDS TO BE DONE SO GET OVER HERE RIGHT NOW BEFORE WE HUNT YOU DOWN")
  3. Click Publish.
  4. Hopefully when I read your message I will be suitably mortified and go do that thing you asked me to do, or at the very least provide a legitimate excuse why I might not be able to do that thing immediately.
  5. Repeat as necessary.

Summary

Hopefully you got the answer you wanted by reading this page. If not, refer to the "when in doubt" rule spelled out further above.

Once again: I'm not gone forever, and I'll still be here, though my activity will be moderately to greatly to reduced. I probably won't be joining any new projects unless I have a very good reason to do so.If you have any questions/need me for something/[insert miscellaneous request here] go to my talk page/message wall and say it there. Can't stress this enough. That's how things get done around here in Ye Olde Wikia Towne.

That's pretty much it. I can't think of some meaningful conclusion to end it on. 

Read a book or something.

Styro (Contact me) We have a T. rex! 17:54, April 28, 2014 (UTC)

Call me Styro. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no duties to accomplish in the real world at that moment, and nothing particular to interest me offline, I thought I would browse around a little and start to edit on Wikia. It is a way I have of procrastinating, and regulating my unusual and somewhat eccentric mind. Whenever I find myself growing grim about Cretaceous melanosomes; whenever it is not a Saturday when Doctor Who is on; whenever I find myself involuntarily confused while trying to research the correct date of the de-extinction of the Pyrenean ibex; and bringing up the rear of every steampunk convention I happen across; and especially when some amateur Jurassic Park enthusiasts become enraged whilst arguing whether Tyrannosaurus or Spinosaurus would win in a fight (a trivial matter which I feel merits no further attention, seeing as it's only a movie anyway), that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and giving those fools a right smack followed by a comprehensive paleontological education - then, I account it a high time to get to Wikia as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball, and occasionally fisticuffs, depending on how annoying people get. With a decidedly un-philosophical flourish and a great deal of noise they throw themselves upon the sword; and I take to the MediaWiki Foundation. I then proceed to clean the sword; after all, I feel it rather pointless to get a good sword dirty when it can be displayed above the mantlepiece.
~ Styracosaurus Rider