Community Central
Community Central
(pold bestilence)
(til)

(2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 20: Line 20:

To all the people in this empire.

To all the people in this empire.

None must assert himself, unless

None must assert himself, unless
He do only as we desire.
+
He only do as we desire.

Your chattering I bid you cease;

Your chattering I bid you cease;

Attend to me, your sovereign sire,

Attend to me, your sovereign sire,
Line 100: Line 100:

For of that man I have no awe.

For of that man I have no awe.

To them such bondage shall we bid

To them such bondage shall we bid
To dig and delve, to bear and draw,
+
To dyke and delve, to bear and draw,

And do all such ignoble deed.

And do all such ignoble deed.

Thus shall the lads behold the law,

Thus shall the lads behold the law,
Line 125: Line 125:

And saved me then out of the sea -

And saved me then out of the sea -

King Pharaoh he commanded then

King Pharaoh he commanded then
That no sons should sav&egrace;d be;
+
That no sons should savèd be;

Against his will my life began.

Against his will my life began.

Thus has God shown his might in me.

Thus has God shown his might in me.
Line 232: Line 232:

I say this: <i>ego sum, qui sum.</i>

I say this: <i>ego sum, qui sum.</i>

I am he that I am the same.

I am he that I am the same.
And though thou might not speak, yet from
+
And though thou might not speak nor hum

I shall thee save from sin and shame.

I shall thee save from sin and shame.

Line 296: Line 296:

<c>Pharaoh

<c>Pharaoh

Yah! Wend thou to the Devil of Hell!

Yah! Wend thou to the Devil of Hell!
I find no force what thou have meant,
+
I find no force what thou hast meant,

For in my danger shall they dwell.

For in my danger shall they dwell.

And, liar, for thy sake,

And, liar, for thy sake,
Line 308: Line 308:

Fie on thee, lad! Out of my land!

Fie on thee, lad! Out of my land!

Think you with tricks our law to sway?

Think you with tricks our law to sway?
  +

Whence comes this warlock with his wand

Whence comes this warlock with his wand

That thus would steal our folk away?

That thus would steal our folk away?
Line 319: Line 320:

<c>Pharaoh

<c>Pharaoh

Nay, nay; that dance is done.

Nay, nay; that dance is done.
That scoundrel learned too late.
+
That lurdan learned too late.

<c>Moses

<c>Moses
Line 491: Line 492:

<c>Egyptian One

<c>Egyptian One

Like lepers makes it men and wives,

Like lepers makes it men and wives,
And then we're torn by hail, and rain;
+
Thus are they hurt with hail and rain;
Our vines in mountains cannot thrive;
+
Our vines in mountains may not thrive;
So are they threshed, and thunder-slain.
+
So are they threshed and thunder-slain.

<c>Pharaoh

<c>Pharaoh
Line 602: Line 603:

For God has said he save us all.

For God has said he save us all.

On either side, the sea shall stand,

On either side, the sea shall stand,
Till we be went, right as a wall.
+
'Til we be went, right as a wall.

Therefore, have no dread;

Therefore, have no dread;

But find ever God to please.

But find ever God to please.
Line 643: Line 644:

Our bodies boldly for to bid

Our bodies boldly for to bid

We'll not abide, but ding them down

We'll not abide, but ding them down
'Till all be dead, without dread.
+
'Til all be dead, without dread.

<c>Pharaoh

<c>Pharaoh
Line 654: Line 655:

<c>Egyptian One

<c>Egyptian One
Alas! We all die for this deed!
+
Alas! We die for all our deed!

<c>Youth One

<c>Youth One

Now we are won from woe,

Now we are won from woe,
And saved from out of the sea;
+
And saved out of the sea;

<i>Cantemus domino</i>;

<i>Cantemus domino</i>;

To God a song sing we.

To God a song sing we.

Latest revision as of 14:37, 13 December 2017

<h>The York Hosiers' Play: Moses and Pharaoh

<d>The King’s Palace, Memphis

<c>Pharaoh Now, peace! I bid that no man pass, But keep the course that I command. And take good heed to him that has Your life all wholly in his hand. King Pharaoh my father was, Who led the lordship of this land. I am his heir, as age will ask, Ever in his stead to stir and stand. All Egypt is my own To lead after my law. I will my might be known, And honored as it ought.

Therefore, as king I order, "Peace!" To all the people in this empire. None must assert himself, unless He only do as we desire. Your chattering I bid you cease; Attend to me, your sovereign sire, Who most your comfort may increase, Or, take your life, at my desire.

<c>Counsellor One My lord, if any there were That would not work your will, And we knew which they were, Full soon we should them kill.

<c>Pharaoh Throughout my kingdom, I would know, then, And could give thanks to those that tell, If any have so wicked been That would attempt our power to quell.

<c>Counsellor Two My lord, there are a manner of of men Who have much power, and who dwell The Jews that live here in Goshen, Who are named the children of Israel. They multiply so fast, That soothy we suppose They are like, if they last, Your lordship for to lose.

<c>Pharaoh What the devil? What tricks have they begun? Are they of might to make affrays?

<c>Counsellor One Those felonious folk, sir, first were found In King Pharaoh your father's days. They come of Joseph, Jacob's son That was a prince worthy of praise! And since then have flourished, every one; And now they may destroy our ways. They shall confound us clean Unless they quickly cease.

<c>Pharaoh What the devil does it mean, That they so fast increase?

<c>Counsellor Two How they increase we'll tell you then As our elders before us found, They numbered only sixty and ten When first they entered in this land. Since have they sojourned here in Goshen Four hundred years, we understand; Now they are numbered, of mighty men, Well more than three hundred thousand, Not counting wife and child And servants, their cows to feed.

<c>Pharaoh So might we be beguiled; But it shall not be, indeed! For, with cunning we shall them quell, So that they shall no further spread.

<c>Counsellor One Lord, we have heard our fathers tell How clerks, that full well could read, Say in their midst a man should dwell That should o'erthrow us and our deed.

<c>Pharaoh Fie on them to the Devil of Hell! Such a destiny we shall not dread. We shall force the midwives to spill them - When our Hebrews are born, All that are male, to kill them - So shall they soon be lorn.

For of that man I have no awe. To them such bondage shall we bid To dyke and delve, to bear and draw, And do all such ignoble deed. Thus shall the lads behold the law, As wretches ever their lives to lead.

<c>Counsellor Two Surely, lord, this is a subtle saw; Thus shall the folk no further spread.

<c>Pharaoh Yes; help to hold them down, And no treason will we find.

<c>Counsellor One Lord, we shall ever be bound In bondage them to bind.

<d>On the slopes of Mount Sinai

<c>Moses Great God, that all this ground began, And governs ever in good degree, That made me, Moses, into man, And saved me then out of the sea - King Pharaoh he commanded then That no sons should savèd be; Against his will my life began. Thus has God shown his might in me. Now I am here to keep, Set under Sinai's side, The bishop Jethro's sheep, And fortune to abide.

Ah, mercy, God, mickel is thy might; What may this sudden marvel mean? Yonder I see a wondrous sight, Where before no sign was seen. A bush I see yonder, burning bright, And yet the leaves remaining green. Is it a work of worldly wight? I will not rest until I've seen.

<c>God Moses, come not too near, But still in that place dwell, And take heed to me here, And listen to what I tell.

I am thy Lord, who well can make Thy life, as I wish, long to last; And the same God that sometime spake Unto thine elders, ere they passed. Both Abraham and his son Isaac And Jacob, said I, should be blessed, And multiply, as prosperous folk, So their seed should not be oppressed. And now the King, Pharaoh, Binds all their children fast. If I permit him so, Their seed should soon be past.

To make thee messenger have I in mind To him that them so injured has, To warn him with wordes true So that he let my people pass, That they to wilderness may wend And worship me, as custom was. And if his answer should be no, His song full soon shall be "alas".

<d>God sings "go down Moses"

<c>Moses Ah, Lord, since, by thy leave, That lineage loves me not, Gladly they would me grieve If I such bodeword brought.

Therefore, Lord, let some other try Who has more more force to make them fear.

<c>God Moses, be nought abashed, My bidding boldly to bear. If they with evil should defy, I shall protect thee from all care.

<c>Moses Nay, Lord, for they will not trust me For all the oaths that I can swear. To tell such tidings new To folk of wicked will, Without a token true? They will not attend theretill.

<c>God And if they will not understand Nor take heed how I have thee sent, Before the king cast down thy wand, And it shall seem as serpent. Then, take the tail up in thy hand, And lift it without worriment. In the first state as thou it found, So shall it turn, by mine intent. Hide thy hande in thy shirt, And as a leper's it shall be like, Then, all whole and without hurt; Thy signs shall be such like.

And if he will not free them then, To let my people pass in peace, I shall send vengeance nine or ten To pursue him sorely, ere I cease. But the Jews that dwell in Goshen Shall not be harmed, but shall have peace; While they obey my laws, I then Their comfort ever shall increase.

<c>Moses Ah, Lord, lovèd be thy will That makes thy folk so free; All this I shall them tell As thou tells unto me.

But to the king, Lord, when I come, And he ask me what is thy name, And I stand still then, deaf and dumb, How shall I be without blame?

<c>God I say this: ego sum, qui sum. I am he that I am the same. And though thou might not speak nor hum I shall thee save from sin and shame.

<c>Moses I understand this thing With all the might in me.

<c>God Be bold in my blessing; Thy armor I shall be.

<c>Moses Ah, Lord of life, teach me my lore, That I these tales may truly tell.

Unto my people I will fare The chosen children of Israel, To tell them comfort of their care, And of their danger that they in dwell.

<d>Moses travels to the land of Goshen

God maintain you and me evermore, And may all mirth among you swell.

<c>Youth One Ah, Moses, master dear, Our mirth is all mourning We are hard held here As karls under the king.

<c>Youth Two Moses, mourning we are in; There is none us mirthful makes. But since we all are of one kin, Teach us some comfort in this case.

<c>Moses End now all this grief that you are in; God will defend you from your foes. Out of this woe he shall you win To please him in a plentiful place. I shall carp unto the king And seek to make you free.

<c>Youth Three God send us good tiding, And always with you be.

<d>The King’s Palace, Memphis

<c>Moses King Pharaoh! To me take tent.

<c>Pharaoh Why? What tidings canst thou tell?

<c>Moses From God of Heaven I am sent To fetch his folk of Israel; To wilderness he would they went.

<c>Pharaoh Yah! Wend thou to the Devil of Hell! I find no force what thou hast meant, For in my danger shall they dwell. And, liar, for thy sake, They shall be put to pain.

<c>Moses Then God will vengeance take On thee, and on all thine.

<c>Pharaoh Fie on thee, lad! Out of my land! Think you with tricks our law to sway?

Whence comes this warlock with his wand That thus would steal our folk away?

<c>Counsellor Two This is Moses; we well warrant Against all Egypt he is aye. Your father great fault in him found; Now will he mar you if he may.

<c>Pharaoh Nay, nay; that dance is done. That lurdan learned too late.

<c>Moses God bids thee grant my boon, And let me go my way.

<c>Pharaoh Bids God me? False lurdan, thou lies! What token tells me his intent?

<c>Moses Yea, sir, he said thou should despise Both me and all his commandment. "In thy presence cast, in this wise, My wand", he said, by his assent, And then you would be well advised It shall turn into a serpent.

And in his holy name, Here shall I lay it down. Lo, sir; see here the same.

<d>The staff turns to serpent

<c>Pharaoh Ah! Dog! The Devil thee drown!

<c>Moses He said that I should take the tail, That I may prove his power plain; And soon, he said, it should not fail To turn into a wand again. Lo, sir, behold.

<d>The staff returns to its normal state

<c>Pharaoh Now, ill-hail! Now certes this is a subtle swain These boys shall bide here in our bail. These tricks for them shall nothing gain. But worse, both morn and noon, Shall they fare, for thy sake.

<c>Moses May God send vengeance soon; May his wrath on thee awake.

<d>Exit Moses to Goshen

<c>Egyptian One Alas! Alas! This land is torn; On life we cannot now depend!

<c>Egyptian Two Such great misfortune comes this morn, No medicine may it amend.

<c>Counsellor One We rue the day that we were born, Sir King; our bliss is at an end.

<c>Pharaoh Why cry you so? What is this scorn?

<c>Egyptian One Sir King, such care was never kenned Our water, that was ordained For man and beast as food, Throughout all Egypt land Is turned into red blood. Now ugly and full ill is it, That was so fair and fresh before.

<c>Pharaoh This wonder does amaze my wit, Among all works that ever were.

<c>Egyptian Two No, lord, there is another yet That suddenly afflicts us sore For toads and frogs come, without let; Their venom kills us less and more.

<c>Egyptian One Lord, these midges, by morn and noon, Bite us full bitterly; And we fear all is done By Moses, our enemy.

<c>Counsellor One Lord, while these Hebrews live, believe Never mirth be us among.

<c>Pharaoh Go, say we must no longer grieve (But nonetheless, they shall not go).

<d>Egyptian Two crosses to Goshen

<c>Egyptian Two Moses, my lord has granted leave To lead thy folk to the land of promise So that we may mend us of our mischief.

<c>Moses I wot full well these words are wrong That shall full soon be seen. For heartily I to him say: If he of malice mean More marvels must he meet.

<c>Egyptian One Lord, alas, for dole we die; We dare not look out of the door!

<c>Pharaoh What devil makes you so to cry?

<d>Egyptian Two returns from Goshen

<c>Egyptian Two We fare now worse than ever before! Great flies, over all this land they fly, And with their biting hurt us sore.

<c>Egyptian One Lord, our beasts lie dead and dry As well on midden as on moor Both ox, horse and ass Fall down dead, suddenly!

<c>Pharaoh With that, no man harm has A half as much as me.

<c>Counsellor Two Yes, lord, poor men indeed have woe To see their cattle dead and lost. The Jews in Goshen fare not so; They have all liking in to last.

<c>Pharaoh Go; say we give them leave to go Until these perils all have passed (But ere they flit o'er far us fro We shall go fetter them four times as fast!).

<d>Egyptian Two crosses to Goshen

<c>Egyptian Two Moses, my lord gives leave Thy people to remove.

<c>Moses He shall have more mischief If these tales be not true.

<c>Egyptian One Ah, Lord! We cannot lead this life!

<c>Pharaoh Why? Is there grievance grown again?

<d>Egyptian Two returns from Goshen

<c>Egyptian Two Such powder, lord, upon us drive; That where it beats it make a boil.

<c>Egyptian One Like lepers makes it men and wives, Thus are they hurt with hail and rain; Our vines in mountains may not thrive; So are they threshed and thunder-slain.

<c>Pharaoh How do they in Goshen, The Jews? Can you aught say?

<c>Egyptian Two This care they nothing ken, They feel no such affray.

<c>Pharaoh No? Devil! And sit they so, in peace, And we, each day in doubt and dread?

<c>Egyptian One My lord, this care will ever increase 'Til Moses has leave them to lead.

<c>Counsellor One Lord, if they went, then it would cease; So we should save us and our seed. We are otherwise lost, with no release.

<c>Pharaoh Let him go forth; the Devil him speed (His folk should not go far, Though he were raving mad).

<c>Counsellor Two Things shall be worse than they are, But their going is not so bad.

<c>Egyptian Two Ah, Lord! New harm is come to hand!

<c>Pharaoh No! Devil! Will it no better be?

<c>Egyptian One Wild locusts are laid over all this land; They leave no fruit nor flower on tree. Against that storm may nothing stand.

<c>Egyptian Two Lord, there is more, it seems to me; For three days now it has been found Such gloom that none can rightly see.

<c>Egyptian One My lord, great pestilence <d>Pause <d>Entire court registers total horror Is like full long to last.

<c>Pharaoh Oh, comes that in our presence? Then is our pride all past.

<c>Egyptian Two My lord, this vengeance lasts as long, And must, till Moses has his boon.

<c>Counsellor One Lord, let them wend else work we wrong; It may not help to hover or hum.

<c>Pharaoh Go; say we grant them leave to gang, In the Devil's name, since it must be done (For so may fall we shall them find And mar them all tomorrow ere noon).

<d>Egyptian One crosses to Goshen

<c>Egyptian One Moses, my lord has said Thou shalt have passage plain.

<c>Moses And to pass am I pleased. My friends, be of good cheer; For at our will we now shall go, To dwell within the Promised Land.

<c>Youth One King Pharaoh, that felonious fiend, Will have great care when this is kenned Then will he shape him us to shend And soon his host after us send.

<c>Moses Be not afraid; God is your friend From all our foes he will us fend Therefore, come forth with me. Have done and dread ye nought.

<c>Youth Two My Lord, loved may thou be; That us from bale has brought.

<c>Youth Three Such friendship never before we found, But still, misfortunes may befall. The Red Sea is right near at hand; There we must wait, and be made thrall.

<c>Moses I shall make us a way, with my wand, For God has said he save us all. On either side, the sea shall stand, 'Til we be went, right as a wall. Therefore, have no dread; But find ever God to please.

<c>Youth One The Lord to land us leads; Now wend we all at ease.

<d>The Red Sea parts and the Children of Israel cross over

<c>Egyptian One King Pharaoh, the folk are gone.

<c>Pharaoh Now tell me, is there any news?

<c>Egyptian Two The Hebrews are went, ilke one.

<c>Pharaoh How says thou that?

<c>Egyptian One The tales are true.

<c>Pharaoh Horse, harness take that they be ta'en. This riot they shall swiftly rue. We shall not cease before they're slain; Right to the sea we shall pursue. Go; load our chariots now, And quickly follow me.

<c>Egyptian Two Lord, to your will we bow; At your bidding shall we be.

<c>Counsellor Two Lord, to your bidding we are bound; Our bodies boldly for to bid We'll not abide, but ding them down 'Til all be dead, without dread.

<c>Pharaoh Heave up your hearts aye to Mahound; He will be near us in our need.

<d>The Red Sea closes over the Egyptians

Out! Ay Harroo! By the Devil, I drown!

<c>Egyptian One Alas! We die for all our deed!

<c>Youth One Now we are won from woe, And saved out of the sea; Cantemus domino; To God a song sing we.