Community Central
Community Central

<d>Then Caiaphas and Annas and the soldiers shall lead Jesus to Pilate

<c>Caiaphas Sir Pilate, here we bring one that false is, and our elders' foe. And says that tribute may be given none to Caesar for him here. Wheresoever he and his fellows go, they turn the folk to them each one. Now ask we judgment here him upon From thee that has the power.

<c>Annas Certainly he is our elders' foe. Wheresoever he goes, to or fro, that he is Christ, and king also, he preaches openly. If Caesar knew that, he would be woe such a man if we let go. Therefore to damn him we are keen, lest he us all destroy.

<c>Pilate Come up, lordings, I you pray, and we shall hear what he will say among this fellowship here. What sayest thou, man in mis-array? If thou be King of the Jews, now say.

<c>Jesus As thou sayest, men hear may a king that thou me make.

<c>Pilate No cause find I, in good fay, to do this man to death today.

<c>Caiaphas Sir, the people – us to displease converted to him all he has.

<c>Annas Yea, all the land of Galilee clean turned to him has he. Therefore judge now ask we, this false man to do down.

<c>Pilate Since he was born there as say ye, to Herod sent soon shall he be; else deprive I him his royalty and blemish his renown. Go, lead him to Herod hastily, and say I send him to justify this man of which he hath mastery at his own liking.

<c>First Soldier Him shall he have full hastily, and lead him thither anon will I. Come thou forth with thy ribaldry and speak with our king. <d>Then the two soldiers shall go, leading Jesus to Herod Sir King, here Pilate hath you sent a shrew that our Law has shent, for to have his Judgement before he hither wend.

<c>Herod Ah, welcome, Jesus, verament! And I thank Pilate of his present, for oft-times I have been of that intent after thee to have sent.

Jesus, much have I heard of thee. Some virtue fain now would I see. If thou from God in majesty be come, tell us here. I pray thee, say now to me, and prove some of thy power, and much the gladder would I be, truly, all this year.

<d>Jesus shall make no reply.

What! I know that man is wood, or else dumb, and can no good. Such a stalwart never before me stood, so stout and stern is he. Speak on, Jesus, for Cock's blood, for Pilate shall not, by my hood, do thee none amiss. But mend thy mood and speak somewhat with me.

Alas, I am nigh mad for woe. Methinks this man is wondrous fierce, deaf and dumb as a doted doe, or frantic, truly. Yet since that Pilate has done so, the ill-feeling that was between us two I forgive – no more his foe to be after this day.

Clothe him in white, for in this case to Pilate it may be solace, for Jews' custom before was to clothe men that were wood or mad, as now he him makes, as well seems by his face; for him that has lost his state of grace this garment is full good. <d>Then the soldiers shall dress him in a white garment

<c>First Soldier Have this, Jesus, upon thee – a noble garment, it seems to me, of the king's livery that now on thee alights!

<c>Second Soldier Come on out. Thou may not flee. Now thou art in thy royalty – Sir Herod, king, by leave of thee! And gramercy this gift!

<d>Then the two soldiers shall leave, leading Jesus in the white garment to Pilate

<c>First Soldier Sir Pilate, here the King hath sent Jesus again, and since we went, he has forgiven his mal-intent for thy deed today.

<c>Pilate Yes, fault in him I can find none, nor Herod, as seems hereupon. Therefore is best we let him go whither he will his way.

<c>Second Soldier Nay, all, all we cry with one voice, nail him, nail him to the cross.

<c>Pilate Ye men, for shame! Let be your noise! My counsel will I say. Ye know each one the manner: delivered must be a prisoner – this feast that now approaches near – for honour of the day. Will ye Jesus delivered be?

<c>Third Soldier Nay, suffer the death worthy is he, and thereupon all cry we, and Barabbas preserved.

<c>Pilate What shall I do with Jesus here that Christ is called, and King in as well?

<c>Fourth Soldier Nail him on the cross in all manner, for so he hath deserved.

<c>Pilate Now, since I see you so fervent, and agreed that he shall be shent, wash I will here in your presence, Rage however you would.

<d>Then Pilate shall wash his hands

Ye shall all know verament that I am clean and innocent for to shed in no intent this righteous man's blood.

<d>Caiaphas and Annas shall withdraw with Pilate

<c>Pilate Ye prelates here every one, what will ye do? Let him go?

<c>Caiaphas Nay! Nail him to the cross anon – and judge him before thou leave.

<c>Pilate Take ye him, you who are so grim, and after your Law judge ye him.

<c>Annas Nay, that is not lawful, joint nor limb for us no man to deprive.

<c>Pilate What devil of Hell is this to say? Jesus, tell me, I thee pray, art thou King – say “yea” or “nay” – of Jews by ancestry?

<c>Jesus Which is it, think thou it so be or did other men tell it thee?

<c>Pilate Nay, fay! Thyself may know and see that no Jew am I. Men of thine own nation shout for thy damnation with many an accusation and all this day have done. Art thou king – say, for all their cry?

<c>Jesus My realm in this world, so say I, is not – but were it, certainly with Jews were I not taken. And if my realm in this world were, strive I would with you now here and wield me such power to deprive you of your prey. But my might in this manner will I not prove, nor now appear as worldly king; my cause unclear were then, in good fay.

<c>Pilate Ergo, a king thou art, or was?

<c>Jesus That thou sayest, it is no less. But now I tell thee here express that king I am and may be. In world I came to bear witness of soothness, and therefore born I was. And all that believe in soothness take heed to that I say.

<c>Pilate What is soothness? Tell thou me.

<c>Jesus Soothness comes from God's own see.

<c>Pilate In Earth hath truth no power by thine opinion?

<c>Jesus How should truth in Earth be while thus judged in Earth is he by them that have no authority in Earth? Against reason!

<c>Pilate Lordings, I find no cause, I wiss, to damn this man that here is.

<c>Caiaphas Pilate, he hath done much amiss. Let him never pass. By Moses' Law live we and after that Law dead shall he be, for openly preached has he God's Son that he was.

<c>Annas Yea, Pilate, he that makes himself a peer either to king or king's consort challenges Caesar of all his power, and so we have proceeded against him. whoso calls himself a king here deprives Caesar of his power.

<c>Pilate Anon go scourge this losinger and beat him, joint and limb.

<c>First Soldier Come now with care, fellow, for thy fare. On thy body bare strokes shall thou bear.

<c>Second Soldier Cast off thy ware, all thy clothes, yare! Flinch now and stare! This stalwart I would steer.

<d>Then they shall strip him and shall bind him to a pillar

<c>Third Soldier Now he is bounden Be he never so wanton soon shall he be founden with blows in fere.

<c>Fourth Soldier In woe is he wounden and his fate is grounden. No lad unto London such law can him learn.

<d>Then after they have scourged him, then they shall dress him in purple and sit him on a chair

<c>First Soldier Now, since he king is, elegant his clothing is. Beggar, I bring thee this, thee for to wear.

<d>Then the second soldier shall place a crown of thorns upon his head

<c>Second Soldier All in healing this is that of old sprung is. Of thorns this thing is, thee for to wear.

<c>Third Soldier Now thou has a weed, have here a reed. <d>He shall hand him a reed A sceptre I thee bede, a king for to be.

<c>Fourth Soldier Harvey, take heed! Thus must I need for my foul deed kneel upon knee. Then they shall kneel.

<c>First Soldier Hail, King of Jews! That so many men shows, ribald, now thee rues, with all thy reverence.

<c>Second Soldier With iron on him hews, cuts and his hide hews. Anointment thee news revives for thine offence.

<c>Third Soldier To paint on his face – thou that thee king makes, take what my nose has. Good spice! brand new!

<c>Fourth Soldier With a hard grace thou came to this place. If thou pass this race, sore shalt thou rue.

<c>Pilate Lordings, here you may see your king in all his royalty.

<c>Caiaphas Nay, sir, forsooth, no king have we save the emperor of Rome, pardee; and unless thou nail him to the tree, the Emperor full wrath will be.

<c>Annas All we say right says he. Judge him while thou hast time.

<c>Pilate Whether of them will ye have, Jesus Christ or Barabbas?

<c>Caiaphas Nay! Jesus, this traitor that is taken, must nailed be to the tree. And let Barabbas go his way.

<c>Pilate Take him to you now, as I say, for save him I not may, undone but I would be.

<c>First Soldier This judgment is at an end. Now propose I that we wend this shrew for to shend a little here beside.

<d>The second soldier shall place the cross on Jesus' back

<c>Second Soldier Here shalt thou not stay. Come hither, and be hend thy back for to bend. Here may thou not abide.

<d>Then they shall go towards the Mount of Calvary.

<c>Caiaphas Now of this fellow we been sure. Against us it boots him not to bicker. Though he sneer, flatter and flicker, this fist shall he not flee. Thou, Jesus, would be our king! Go forth! Evil joy thee wring! For avenged on thee at our liking full soon we shall be. Beat on fast and make him go, this fellow that is our elders' foe; for all his wiles, from this woe shall no man him were.

<c>Annas Him seems weary of his way. Some help to get I will assay, for this cross, truly, so far he may not bear. Come hither, Simon of Surrey, and take this cross anon in hie. Unto the Mount of Calvary help that it were borne.

<c>Simon The Devil speed this company! For death he is not worthy! For his sake, certainly, I hold you all forlorn. To bear no cross am I intent, for it was never mine assent to procure this prophet's judgement, who is full of the Holy Ghost.

<c>Caiaphas Simon, unless thou want to be shent and suffer pain and imprisonment, this cross upon thy back thou hent and let be all thy boast.

<c>Simon Alas, that ever I hither come! Would God I had been in Rome when I the way hither come, thus to be annoyed. But God I take to witness that I do this by distress. All, iwiss, through your falseness I think will be destroyed.

<d>Then he shall take up the cross.

<c>Annas Have done! Bring forth those thieves two! On either half him they shall go. This wretch shall be handled so with fellowship together. Take them here, bound fast, while this whipcord may last, for the prime of the day is past. How long shall we be here?

<d>Then they shall lead out Jesus and the two thieves, and the women shall come

<c>First Woman Alas, alas, and woe is me! A doleful sight this is to see. so many sick saved hath he and now goeth thus away.

<c>Second Woman Sorrowful may his mother be to see the flesh so fair and free nailed so foul upon a tree, as he may be today.

<c>Jesus Ye women of Jerusalem, weep not for me, nor make no tears; but for your own bairn-team ye must weep tenderly For time shall come, without doubt, ye shall bless belly that never child bear, and pap that never milk came near, so near is your annoy.

<c>Caiaphas Have done! You tormentors, tite, and strip him that hath done us spite!

<c>First Soldier Yea, though he both groan and shite, out he shall be shaken. Be thou angry or be thou fain, I will be thy chamberlain. This coat gets thou never again if I may be waken.

<c>Second Soldier This coat shall be mine, for it is good and fine and seam is there none therein that I can see.

<c>Third Soldier Yea, God give me pain if that shall be thine, for thou art ever incline to draw towards thee.

<c>Fourth Soldier Nay, fellows, by this day, at the dice we will play, and there we shall assay this weed for to win.

<c>First Soldier Ah, fellow, by this day, well can thou say! Lay forth those clothes – lay on board before we stop!

<d>Then they shall strip Jesus of his clothes and he shall stand naked until they have played their game of chance.

<c>Second Soldier Fellows, now let see - here are dice three! - which of all we shall win this ware.

<c>Third Soldier Nay, parted they shall be, for that is equally. Therefore, as mote I thee, so may I thrive or we hither fair.

<c>Fourth Soldier This coat bout seam, to break it were shame, for in all Jerusalem is none such a garment.

<c>First Soldier His dame now may dream for her own barm-team; for neither aunt nor uncle gets this gay garment.

<c>Second Soldier His other clothes all to us four can fall. First part them I shall, and after play for this. This kirtle mine I call. Take thou this pall. Each man in this hall knows I do not amiss. <d>To the Third: This Kirtle take to thee - <d>To the Fourth: and thou this to thy fee. Each man now may see that all we be served.

<c>Third Soldier Yea, now I advise that we sit down, as mote I thee, so may I thrive and look whose this shall be that is here reserved.

<d>Then all shall sit down and the First Soldier shall throw the dice

<c>First Soldier Now will I begin for to cast, before I stop, this coat for to win that is both good and fine. <d>He throws and loses.

<c>Second Soldier By my father's kin, no part has thou therein! But, or I hence win, this coat shall be mine. Take! Here I dare lay, are doublets in good array. <d>He throws and loses.

<c>Third Soldier Thou fails, fellow, truly, to have this to thy fee, for here is quatre-trais. <d>He throws and loses.

Therefore go thou thy way, and as well thou may, and leave this with me.

<c>Fourth Soldier Fellows, verament, I propose we be at one assent. This gay garment that is without seam, you give by judgement to me this vestment, <d>He throws and wins For cinques God hath me sent, casts of five think you never so grieved.

<c>First Soldier As I have good grace, well won it thou has, for cinques there was that every man might see.

<c>Caiaphas Men, for Cock's face,

how long shall pissing arse

[Pewdreas]

stand naked in that place? Go nail him on the tree!

<c>Second Soldier Anon, master, anon. A hammer have I won. As far as I have gone there is none such another.

<c>Third Soldier And here are, by my pon, nails good won to nail him upon and he were my brother.

<c>Fourth Soldier Go we to as fast. This caitiff have I cast. He shall be cruelly twisted before I go away.

<c>First Soldier Here is a rope will last for to draw at the mast. This bastard never passed so perilous a play.

<c>Second Soldier Lay him thereupon, this same mad man, and I shall drive on this nail to the end.

<c>Third Soldier As broke I my pon, cast him down I can and make him full wan before I from him wend.

<d>Then they shall place Jesus on the cross.

<c>Fourth Soldier Fellows, will ye see how sleight I shall be this fist, before I flee, here to make fast?

<c>First Soldier Yea, but, as mote I thee, so may I thrive short-armed is he. To the boring of this tree it will not well last.

<c>Second Soldier Ah, therefore care thee nought. A trick I have sought. Ropes must be bought to strain him with strength.

<c>Third Soldier A rope, as I bethought, ye shall have in brought. Take it here, well wrought, and draw him a length.

<d>Then they shall tie the cord to his left hand because the right was nailed in earlier.

<c>Fourth Soldier Draws, for your fathers' kin, while that I drive in this ilk iron pin that I dare lay will last.

<c>First Soldier As ever have I win, his arm is but a fin. Now drive on without din and we shall draw fast.

<d>Then three shall pull and the fourth shall drive the nail through.

<c>Second Soldier Fellow, by this light, now were his feet dight, this game went on right and up he should be raised.

<c>Third Soldier That shall be done in height anon in your sight, for, by my truth I plight, I deserve to be praised.

<d>Then they shall nail through his feet.

<c>Fourth Soldier Fellows, will you see how I have stretched his knee? Why praise ye not me that have so well done?

<c>First Soldier Yea, help now, that he on height raised may be, for, as mote I thee, so may I thrive almost it is noon.

<d>Then Pilate, holding a tablet in his hand, shall speak

<c>Pilate Come hither, thou, I command thee. Go nail this tablet unto the tree. Since he will King of Jews be he must have a cognisance. “Jesus of Nazareth” men may see; “King of Jews” - how likest thee? - is written thereon, for so said he without variance.

<c>Second Soldier Nay, sir Pilate, to us take heed. King is he none, so God me speed. Therefore thou dost a sorry deed; this writing many a man rues. Thou should write that men might read how he lies to each lede and told everywhere that he went that he was King of Jews.

<c>Pilate That that is written I have written.

<c>Third Soldier And in good faith that is foul written, for every man may well witten that wrong thou has wrought. What the Devil? King is he none! But falsely thereas he hath gone he has told leasings many one, that dear they should be bought.

<d>Then they shall make merry in front of the cross, and Mary shall come, weeping.

<c>Mary Alas, my love, my life, my joy! Alas now, mourning, woe is me! Alas, son, my help thou be! Thy mother that thee bare think on, my fruit, I fostered thee and gave thee suck upon my knee. Upon my pain thou have pity! Thou lackest no power.

Alas, why will not my life forlorn to find my son here me before tugg-ed, lugg-ed, and all to-torn with traitors by this tide, with nails pierced, and crown of thorn? Therefore I grow mad, both even and morn, to see my child that I have borne this bitter bale to bide.

My sorrow, sweet son, thou cease, or from my life thou me release. How should I contented be or be in peace, to see thee in such penance? Since thou me for thy mother chose, and of my body born thou was, as I conceived thee sinless, thou grant me some relief.

Alas, the sorrow of this sight mars my mind, main and might, but always my heart methink is light to look on what I love. And when I look anon right upon my child that thus is dight, would death deliver me in height, then I would be all above.

Alas, my sorrow when will thou slake and to these traitors me betake to suffer death, son, for thy sake, and do as I thee say? Alas, thieves, why do ye so? Slay ye me, and let my son go - for him suffer I would this woe - and let him go away.

<c>Mary Magdalene Alas, how should my heart be light to see my gracious Lord in sight dolefully drawn and so dight that did never man grievance? Marred I am main and might and for him I am unable to fight; but God, that rules always the right, give you much mischance.

<c>Mary Jacobi Alas, sorrow sits me sore! Mirth of thee I get no more. Why wouldst thou die, Jesus, wherefore, that to the dead gave life? Help me, Jesus, with some thing and out of this bitter bale me bring, or else slay me for anything and keep me from this strife.

<c>Mary Salome Come down, Lord, and break thy bonds! Loose and heal thy lovely hands! Or tell me, Jesus, for whom thou wonds, hesitates since thou art God and Man. Alas, that ever I born was to see thy body in such a case. My sorrow will never slacken nor cease, such sorrow is me upon.

<c>Annas Now this wretch is raised on height I would see, for all his sleight, for his crown how he can fight and far from us flee. He that has healed so many one should now save himself, if that he can, and then all we shall believe him upon that is truly so.

<c>Jesus Father of Heaven, if thy will be, forgive them this they do to me; for they be blind and may not see how wickedly they do amiss.

<c>Caiaphas If thou be of such power, and God's son in majesty, come down, and we will believe on thee that it truly so is.

<c>First Thief If thou be Christ truly and God's Son, now as I say, save us from this death today and thyself also.

<c>Second Thief Ah, man, be still, I thee pray! Dread God, I advise thee, ay, for foolishly thou speakest, truly. Make not thy friend thy foe. Man, thou knowest well, iwiss, that justly we suffer this, for he hath not done so much amiss to suffer so great annoy. But, Lord, I beseech thee, when thou art in thy majesty, then that thou wilt think on me, and on me have mercy.

<c>Jesus Man, I tell thee, truly, for thy belief is so verray, in Paradise thou shalt be today with me there in my bliss. And woman, to thee also I say, your own son there thou see may who clean virgin has been ay right as thyself is. And, John, there thy mother thou may see.

<c>John Yea, Lord, her keeper I shall be. Welcome, Mary, mother free; together we must go.

<c>Mary Alas, my heart will break in three! Alas, Death, I conjure thee! The life, son, thou take from me and twin me from this woe.

<c>John Comfort thee now, sweet Mary, for though we suffer this annoy, sister, I tell thee certainly, alive thou shall him see and rise with full victory when he has fulfilled the prophecy. Thy son thou shalt see, surely, within these days three.

<c>Jesus Eloi, eloi, eloi, eloi! My God, my God, I speak to thee! Eloi lama sabachthani! Why has thou thus forsaken me?

<c>First Soldier Ah, hark, hark how he crieth upon Eli to deliver him of his annoy.

<c>Second Soldier Abide, and we shall see in haste whether Eli dare come here.

<c>Jesus My thirst is sore, my thirst is sore.

<c>Third Soldier Yea, thou shalt have drink therefore that thou shalt want to drink no more for all this seven year.

<c>Jesus Mighty God in majesty, to work thy will I would never wand. hesitate My spirit I betake to thee; receive it, Lord, unto thy hand. Consummatum est.

<c>Centurion Lordings, I say you certainly, this was God’s Son Almighty. No other, forsooth, believe will I, for needs so it must be. I know by manner of his cry he has fulfilled the prophecy and godhead showed openly in him – all men may see.

<c>Caiaphas Centurion, as God me speed, thou must be mad – thou canst not read! give advice But when thou seest his heart bleed, let's see what thou can say. Longeus, take this spear in hand and strike away from thee – look thou not wand.

<c>Longinus Ah, Lord, I see neither sea nor land this seven year, truly.

<c>Fourth Soldier Have this spear and take good heed. Thou must do, as the Bishop thee bade a thing that is of full great need. To resist I hold thee mad.

<c>Longinus I will do as ye bid me, but on your peril it shall be. What I do I may not see, whether it be evil or good. <d>Then Longinus shall pierce Christ's side with a spear High King of Heaven, I thee here. What have I done well know I never, but on my hand and on my spear out water runneth throw; and on my eyes some does fall that I may see both one and all. Ah, Lord, wherever be this well that this water came from.

Alas, alas. And well-away! What deed have I done today? A man I see, sooth to say, I have never slain in this sted. But this I think may be Christ truly that sick and blind has healed ay. Of mercy, Lord, I thee now pray, for I knew not what I did.

Jesus, much have I heard speak of thee, that sick and blind through thy pity has healed before in this city as thou has me today. Thee will I serve, and with thee be, for well I believe in days three thou will rise full in power from enemies, Lord, I to thee pray.

<c>Joseph Ah, Lord God, what hearts have ye to slay this man that I here see dead, hanging upon rood-tree, that never yet did amiss. For certainly, God's Son is he. Therefore a tomb – is made for me - therein his body buried shall be, for he is King of Bliss.

<c>Nicodemus Sir Joseph, I say certainly this is God's son Almighty. Go ask from Pilate his body, and buried shall he be. I shall help thee, truthfully, to take him down, devoutly, though Caiaphas go stark mad thereby, and all his company.

<d>Then Joseph of Arimathea shall come to Pilate and shall say:

<c>Joseph Sir Pilate, particularly I thee pray a boon thou grant me as thou may. This prophet that is dead today, thou grant me his body.

<c>Pilate Joseph, all ready, truly! If that Centurion he will say that he is dead without nay, him will I not deny. Centurion, is Jesus dead?

<c>Centurion Yea, sir, as broke I my head, in him there is no life led, for I stood thereby.

<c>Pilate Joseph, take him then to thee and bury him where thy will be.

<c>Joseph Gramercy, sir, pardee. I thank you heartfully. <d>Then Joseph shall go on to the Mount (of Calvary) Ah, sweet Jesus, sweet Jesus, as thou art God, faithful and true, in a tomb is made full new thy body shall be in laid. Shouldst thou never have such virtue as thou hast showed since I thee knew unless godhead thy deeds should show as thou before has said.

Therewith, Jesus, come hither to me. Thy blessed body buried shall be with all worship and honesty and honour – all that I may. Yet hope I within these days three in flesh and blood alive to see thee that art nail-ed on a tree unworthily today.

<c>Nicodemus Joseph, brother, as I well see, this holy prophet is given to thee. Some worship he shall have of me that is of might-es most. For as I believe, by my faith, truly God's Son is he, for wondrous sights men might see when that he yielded his ghost.

For the sun lost all his light; earthquake made men afright; the rock that never before had split clave, that men might know; graves opened in men's sight; dead did rise. Therefore, by right, I may say this was God's son Almighty that so great signs can show.

Therefore here brought have I a hundred pounds of spicery. Myrrh, aloes, and many more thereby to honour him with I bring, for to anoint his sweet body in sepulchre for to lie, that he may have on me mercy in Heaven where he is King.