FANDOM

• As many of you are probably already aware, there are a good number of fan fiction wikis out there being hosted by/on Wikia. After thinking through the fact that Wikia's copyright policy states that they have the right to use content posted on any wiki for advertising purposes (even though most wikis don't have content that could be used for ads that would earn anyone revenue), it sounds like people who write these fan fiction stories are basically saying "Hey Wikia, take my ideas and use them for ads." While most of these fan fiction stories use characters that are already owned by other companies, it makes sense that you shouldn't be legally allowed to claim copyright to stories you write if they all use pre-existing characters owned by a third party company.

The reason I bring this subject up is because it seems rather interesting that Wikia doesn't tell you much about their copyright policy when it comes to writing fan fiction wikis. Wikia should warn you that when writing fan fiction wikis you are not legally allowed to claim copyright, whether you're using characters already owned by someone else or making up your own.

Years ago I made the horrible mistake of starting a few fan fiction wikis using some characters that I made up myself, and now can't delete them on request because of Wikia's new policy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wikia has the legal right to use any characters I've made up for advertising or anything else for that matter, right? With all the complaining and ranting that I do about most of Wikia's new changes, I sometimes get worried that Wikia might "steal" some of my ideas just to get back at me, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. Other than me complaining about Wikia a lot, what other reason would Wikia have to do this?

What is your opinion on this? Should Wikia put out some type of warning about writing fan fiction wikis and copyright policy? Even if you're here just to defend Wikia, I'm still curious to hear some honest opinions.

Loading editor
    • I've noticed more and more Wikia is a bit funny on deleting a wiki. Basically there's like a 50/50 chance they may or may not close it when you ask. I can totally understand if a large wiki on a popular subject asked, but if you make a fresh wiki with a dozen or so pages and you're the only contributor, I don't see any reason why they won't close it.

By not closing it, that just leaves content you created up for anyone to vandalize, and if I recall correctly, you aren't allowed to "blank" your wiki either. Even now there's so many wikis that are completely abandoned, not even upgraded from the default theme.

EDIT: According to a post on your other topic, you are indeed not allowed to remove all the content from your wiki

Loading editor
    • I do not understand why Wikia is used for people to post fan fiction. That is not the purpose of Wikia. I have had someone post fan fictional DVD articles on DVD Database, so we added a policy . 

Loading editor
    • Chakor Channing wrote:
      As many of you are probably already aware, there are a good number of fan fiction wikis out there being hosted by/on Wikia. After thinking through the fact that Wikia's copyright policy states that they have the right to use content posted on any wiki for advertising purposes (even though most wikis don't have content that could be used for ads that would earn anyone revenue), it sounds like people who write these fan fiction stories are basically saying "Hey Wikia, take my ideas and use them for ads." While most of these fan fiction stories use characters that are already owned by other companies, it makes sense that you shouldn't be legally allowed to claim copyright to stories you write if they all use pre-existing characters owned by a third party company.

The reason I bring this subject up is because it seems rather interesting that Wikia doesn't tell you much about their copyright policy when it comes to writing fan fiction wikis. Wikia should warn you that when writing fan fiction wikis you are not legally allowed to claim copyright, whether you're using characters already owned by someone else or making up your own.

Years ago I made the horrible mistake of starting a few fan fiction wikis using some characters that I made up myself, and now can't delete them on request because of Wikia's new policy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wikia has the legal right to use any characters I've made up for advertising or anything else for that matter, right? With all the complaining and ranting that I do about most of Wikia's new changes, I sometimes get worried that Wikia might "steal" some of my ideas just to get back at me, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. Other than me complaining about Wikia a lot, what other reason would Wikia have to do this?

What is your opinion on this? Should Wikia put out some type of warning about writing fan fiction wikis and copyright policy? Even if you're here just to defend Wikia, I'm still curious to hear some honest opinions.

It was RachaelMack who did this a year ago which my manager stated above had to deal with. Though we have pretty good authentic rips from those types of media. Though some pages to have a bit of work to get everything finished and get processed. I've caught other sockpuppets myself on the recent months and kicked them out.

Loading editor

Chakor Channing wrote:

Wikia should warn you that when writing [...] you are not legally allowed to claim copyright,

I'm not here to defend wikia, but you have all the warning you need.

Every page says "Content is available under CC-BY-SA."

Every edit page says "Contributions licensed as CC-BY-SA. More details."

If you don't understand the CC-BY-SA license, I suggest you educate yourself. Anyone can use anything you've released under CC-BY-SA, so long as they adhere to the licensing terms.

If you don't want people to re-use and adapt your content, you should not be releasing your content under CC-BY-SA, which means you should not be using Wikia.

Loading editor
    • Exactly. When you submitted the fanfiction content, you gave Wikia the right to host and distribute your content under the Terms of Use - and any so-and-so the right to copy and paste the fanfiction if they attribute you under the full legal code of the CC-BY-SA. A license is a legal code that must be taken seriously and read. You may have copyright on the content (so can DMCA people stealing it), but on the date and time of submission you waived your right to prevent people remixing and distributing the content which is now gone. You can't stop that - even if you close the wiki, someone can republish the fanfiction and attribute you claiming that the content was retrieved according to the terms of the license.

Fanfiction in general exists upon the fairuse clause that allows educational and non-monetized limited use of copyrighted material. But it is only a actionable issue if the original copyright owner (the author or designated copyright agent at the pubishing house) physically takes legal action to ensure the removal of the content through a DMCA takedown request or the traditional C&D. It is still technically a copyright violation tho - fairuse is a defense claim in the courtroom. In general, I have never even thought of publishing personal material on Wikia because it would be a part of my real identity and no longer my property.

Loading editor
    • Actually, Fan fiction itself is illegal , unless it is made with the consent of its authors or  the work it is based on is in the public domain (or has a permissive license). So by saying you created it, you've possibly just admitted to breaking the the law.

The only reason wikia allows it is because the authors generally don't care enough to hunt down each and every fan-fiction out there to sue them. It would be a losing battle anyway, considering that most web users use usernames that aren't their names,  most ips are dynamic or shared, and the fact that one can actually write a bot to generate fan-fiction and post it everywhere.

It seems that you're simply upset that you don't have control over the content you created and posted  probably without permission from the authors.

Suggested reading :

Loading editor

Great article, thanks for linking it.

What I said earlier about the CC-BY-SA license isn't strictly accurate, as it's highly likely that fan fiction cannot be legally published under the CC-BY-SA license, due to the fictional universe being owned by the copyright holder.

The TOU says "You may not submit content to the Service that you did not create or that you do not have permission to submit." - which would appear to apply to fan fiction - however, wikia do not police this themselves, and hide behind the DMCA, and require the copyright holder to submit a takedown request.

Wikia turn a blind eye to many things, including fan fiction, because they don't really care about where content comes from, so long as it gets views.

I've asked wikia about whether something was legal to put on wikia in the past, and their response is always that they can't give legal advice, which basically translates into "No, not legally, but we don't really care".

edit: It would be interesting to ask them a question about legality which would obviously be legal, to see if they're willing to give "legal advice" that wouldn't require them to feign ignorance - unfortunately I cannot think of any such question.

Loading editor
    • All of these replies are nice to hear and all but just so everyone understands my situation better here it is in a nutshell: I made the horrible mistake of setting up fan fiction wikis because I didn't have the talent to make my own website at the time and now I can't get rid of these fan fiction wikis because Wikia is no longer deleting wikis on request.

Loading editor
    • They are considering did consider your request - its just that the requirements are a lot more stringent to prevent the removal of even slightly useful wikis. To repeat my question on the other thread (you probably didn't pick it up =D), would you be fine with moving all the content to a larger fanfiction wiki before having the wiki removed by merger?

PS: As before you're doing well not to link to the wiki so that it doesn't get any pageview boosts and edits from users here.

Loading editor
    • 452 wrote:
      I've asked wikia about whether something was legal to put on wikia in the past, and their response is always that they can't give legal advice, which basically translates into "No, not legally, but we don't really care".

I suspect it has more to do with Wikia not involving itself in liability. The TOU states that contributors are solely responsible for their contributions. If Wikia were in any way to say that a contribution was legal, it would be jointly responsible for the contribution.

Loading editor
    • Its best to actually abide by the DMCA request when it comes and invoke the safe harbour provision in other cases because the safe harbour the DMCA grants is much more absolute and black-&-white than the grey area a pre-emptive removal of infringing content would lie in.

Loading editor

Saftzie wrote:

I suspect it has more to do with Wikia not involving itself in liability.
      I thought I had covered that by saying "hide behind the DMCA".

Avoiding liability == "not caring".

Whether they're "not caring" for legal reasons or monetary reasons is largely irrelevant, as the outcome is the same.

Loading editor
    • MACH-59330
      MACH-59330 removed this reply because:
      Incorrect information.
      00:35, December 28, 2015
      This reply has been removed

Speedit wrote:

There is the issue of a user filing a counter-notice in a American civil court (which is possible even if you do not use DMCA) because of the allegation of copyright infringement - which would result in harm and wasted time for the Wikia legal team and the restoration of the content if the user can prove that it's fairuse, the work is original or there is evidence to disprove a violation or monetary losses.

As we have agreed from before @452, the community team are not lawyers - they provide support to the community. So them making decisions on infringement is not conducive to a better domain. Local mods can act to deal with infringement pre-emptively and police the Terms of Use - but Wikia staff doing so leads to that issue of repercussions from litigating contributors who are on the target end of the barrel.

Claiming that we "have agreed" about that is like claiming we "agree" that the sky is blue.

No-one is saying that "community team are lawyers".

Wikia employs many people, some are community support, some are programmers, and some are lawyers.

Wikia's lawyers write the Terms of Use, and advise Wikia how to to best obey laws such as COPPA and DMCA, and Wikia Community Support follows their legal advice, which includes turning a blind eye to copyright infringement and telling users who ask about copyright issues that they cannot give them legal advice.

You appear to also be making the claim that if Wikia removes something, the users who contributed that content can litigate against Wikia, which is complete and utter nonsense.

Wikia can delete anything, at any time. They are not obligated to host anything, and there are no "repercussions" if they delete something.

If Wikia delete something, there is absolutely no reason for "the Wikia legal team" to get involved, and no obligation for them to restore something "if the user can prove that it's fairuse, the work is original or there is evidence to disprove a violation or monetary losses."

Even if it wasn't for common sense dictating that, the TOU specifically addresses those things:

You understand and agree that others may, but are not obligated to, edit, delete or remove (without notice) any content from the Service, for any reason or no reason.

The Site is not and shall not function as an archive. We have no liability to you or any other person for loss, damage, or destruction to your content.

The Company may terminate your account, delete your profile and any content or information that you have posted on the Service and/or prohibit you from using or accessing the Service for any reason, or no reason, at any time in its sole discretion, with or without notice.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for clarifying that there are waivers regarding this on the site. Seems like Wikia has indemnity for both removal of content and potential infringements - I have removed my comment to prevent misleading people. On another subject, your posts imply that Wikia condones piracy or intellectual theft. It doesn't. Its a medium through which this may potentially occur due to inherently semi-anonymous user activity on the site - and there are some pretty screwed up people on Wikia who wanna use it as a free hosting site for plaigarised, stolen or/and infringing content. This is why DMCA exists - to prevent the burden the pre-emptive removal would force on Wikia and stop the staff running around like headless chickens on the million-plus wikis Wikia has - only to make time-consuming legal judgements about the veracity of a individual infringement. It puts everything in perspective as to what counts as monetized copyright infringement in a manageable manner. What is your honest and realistic suggestion as to how an abuse-free system is implemented to make pre-emptive removal requests for infringing copyrights or infringement reports by people who do not own the copyright or represent the "Author"?

Loading editor
    • Cms13ca wrote:
      I do not understand why Wikia is used for people to post fan fiction. That is not the purpose of Wikia. I have had someone post fan fictional DVD articles on DVD Database, so we added a policy . 

Your theme needs changing. We're not allowed to modify the global header.

You further agree:
      • Not to intentionally block, remove, or otherwise obstruct the proper functioning and view of advertisements, and/or user interface and functionality, including but not limited to changing or adding javascript or CSS changes to the Service that would prevent the proper display or function of advertisements and/or user interface and functionality;
        Loading editor
    • The global header is untouched, we wanted to use our version of the wikia logo.

Loading editor
    • Digifiend wrote:
      Cms13ca wrote:
      I do not understand why Wikia is used for people to post fan fiction. That is not the purpose of Wikia. I have had someone post fan fictional DVD articles on DVD Database, so we added a policy . 

You further agree:
      • Not to intentionally block, remove, or otherwise obstruct the proper functioning and view of advertisements, and/or user interface and functionality, including but not limited to changing or adding javascript or CSS changes to the Service that would prevent the proper display or function of advertisements and/or user interface and functionality;

Just ignore that mandatory theme change thing. No wikia logo we have has different colors than intended.

Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote: They are considering did consider your request - its just that the requirements are a lot more stringent to prevent the removal of even slightly useful wikis. To repeat my question on the other thread (you probably didn't pick it up =D), would you be fine with moving all the content to a larger fanfiction wiki before having the wiki removed by merger?

PS: As before you're doing well not to link to the wiki so that it doesn't get any pageview boosts and edits from users here.

Thank you and yes that was my stradegy. ;-) I wouldn't be okay with merging the content with another fan fiction wiki because I am seriously considering using the content that I wrote for a published book. No kidding. It would probably be 20 years from now until it would be published. I wouldn't directly copy the content from the fan fiction wiki I set up, but would use some of the same general ideas. I want Wikia to take down the wiki so that no one coincidentally comes across it and steals these ideas.

Loading editor
    • Digifiend wrote:

Cms13ca wrote:

You further agree:

Well at least I'm glad someone figured out how to change that horrible header, even if it violates the terms of use. I'm obviously not going to change the headers on my wikis but I like that he changed this because it basically says "Hah! In your face Wikia and hideous header!"

Loading editor
    • Chakor Channing wrote:

Speedit wrote: They are considering did consider your request - its just that the requirements are a lot more stringent to prevent the removal of even slightly useful wikis. To repeat my question on the other thread (you probably didn't pick it up =D), would you be fine with moving all the content to a larger fanfiction wiki before having the wiki removed by merger?

Thank you and yes that was my stradegy. ;-) I wouldn't be okay with merging the content with another fan fiction wiki because I am seriously considering using the content that I wrote for a published book. No kidding. It would probably be 20 years from now until it would be published. I wouldn't directly copy the content from the fan fiction wiki I set up, but would use some of the same general ideas. I want Wikia to take down the wiki so that no one coincidentally comes across it and steals these ideas.

It is funny that you state that people will "steal these ideas", when you're actually guilty of the same thing. Even if wikia takes it down, anyone can still re-use the content to do whatever they like, that is what you gave up the moment you pressed the submit button. Search engines and other sites regularly cache and store the pages, one could easily  use "internet archive" to store those pages, making them available to anyone thereafter.

Ignorance is rarely an acceptable defense for a "crime / infringement".

The bottom line is this, you don't own the original content because if it is really a fan-fiction the copyright to those ideas belong to the original author(s). If you're so concerned about getting this content removed, then contact the true owners of the work, explain that you copied it illegally, and ask them to file a DMCA request.

Loading editor
    • And fund it if there are any applicable charges. They only will do so if it poses a direct threat to the monetization of their novel.

@452, A note that the DMCA takedown request system turns any copyright infringement into a legal declaration that makes the plaintiff liable for perjury and conveniently collates their details in the case of a subpoena. Hence avoiding the issue of any anonymous so-and-so trying to takedown a rival wiki because open systems are always inherently open to abuse. That being said, I've tried to get VSTF to remove spammed links to what is obviously infringing content but nothing happened so I assume its up to me to do so.

Loading editor

I don't know why you are addressing your comment, or any of your comments, at me.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of seeing you spread false information, so I'm unfollowing this thread.

Loading editor
    • Dessamator wrote:

Chakor Channing wrote:

Speedit wrote: They are considering did consider your request - its just that the requirements are a lot more stringent to prevent the removal of even slightly useful wikis. To repeat my question on the other thread (you probably didn't pick it up =D), would you be fine with moving all the content to a larger fanfiction wiki before having the wiki removed by merger?

It is funny that you state that people will "steal these ideas", when you're actually guilty of the same thing. Even if wikia takes it down, anyone can still re-use the content to do whatever they like, that is what you gave up the moment you pressed the submit button. Search engines and other sites regularly cache and store the pages, one could easily  use "internet archive" to store those pages, making them available to anyone thereafter.

Ignorance is rarely an acceptable defense for a "crime / infringement".

The bottom line is this, you don't own the original content because if it is really a fan-fiction the copyright to those ideas belong to the original author(s). If you're so concerned about getting this content removed, then contact the true owners of the work, explain that you copied it illegally, and ask them to file a DMCA request.

So are you saying I copied information from Wikia illegally? The "fan fiction" wiki in question has no editors other than myself, and it currently doesn't have any editors now that I'm not writing there. I would think that Wikia would be willing to take the wiki down for reasons I have made perfectly clear in this thread, if you have been paying attention, mainly me not being smart enough to set up my own website at the time of writing on the wiki. Oh and by the way, I'll use the term "using" instead of "stealing" from now on if it bothers you that much. JK.

Loading editor
    • I'm saying you added it to wikia illegally (as explained above), the terms of use forbid adding content that you don't own or don't have permission to do so. If anything, Wikia could actually ban you for breaking the terms of Use, and remove the content if the owners require it.

It doesn't really matter if you weren't smart enough to create your own site. You could have hired someone to do so, or simply written it down in paper without publishing it.

You seem to be under the impression that Wikia has any obligation to remove the content here. The bottom line is that they don't unless they are demanded by applicable law enforcement or by original authors.

Loading editor
    • Chakor Channing wrote:

Digifiend wrote:

Cms13ca wrote:

You further agree:
      Well at least I'm glad someone figured out how to change that horrible header, even if it violates the terms of use. I'm obviously not going to change the headers on my wikis but I like that he changed this because it basically says "Hah! In your face Wikia and hideous header!"

That is not a hideous header, that is just a change to the wikia logo;s style with ilumina effect to celebrate happy new year. The reason I have it in place is so that it will celebrate the new year after this one for next month. It's these logos I modified for a special logo rather than the general versions for events like HNY:

Wikia ilumina logos

It be nice if Wikia changes it's logo wordmark like YouTube does for their logo that best fits for the holidays and such things. One of these days, we're gonna have to make a poll about allowing global nav changes in future releases since it's not happening right now.

Loading editor
    • Digifiend wrote:
      Cms13ca wrote:

You further agree:
      • Not to intentionally block, remove, or otherwise obstruct the proper functioning and view of advertisements, and/or user interface and functionality, including but not limited to changing or adding javascript or CSS changes to the Service that would prevent the proper display or function of advertisements and/or user interface and func

It isn't your job to police this though - leave it to Wikia staff.

Loading editor
    • 87.115.122.110 wrote:
      Digifiend wrote:
      Cms13ca wrote:

You further agree:
      • Not to intentionally block, remove, or otherwise obstruct the proper functioning and view of advertisements, and/or user interface and functionality, including but not limited to changing or adding javascript or CSS changes to the Service that would prevent the proper display or function of advertisements and/or user interface and func

He was informing us it should be changed. We also have our versions of wikia logos in place.

Loading editor
    • Crazy Muzzarino wrote:

Chakor Channing wrote:

Digifiend wrote:

Cms13ca wrote:

You further agree:

That is not a hideous header, that is just a change to the wikia logo;s style with ilumina effect to celebrate happy new year. The reason I have it in place is so that it will celebrate the new year after this one for next month. It's these logos I modified for a special logo rather than the general versions for events like HNY:

Wikia ilumina logos

It be nice if Wikia changes it's logo wordmark like YouTube does for their logo that best fits for the holidays and such things. One of these days, we're gonna have to make a poll about allowing global nav changes in future releases since it's not happening right now.

Sorry I thought we were talking about the recent header change.

Loading editor
    • Dessamator wrote: I'm saying you added it to wikia illegally (as explained above), the terms of use forbid adding content that you don't own or don't have permission to do so. If anything, Wikia could actually ban you for breaking the terms of Use, and remove the content if the owners require it.

It doesn't really matter if you weren't smart enough to create your own site. You could have hired someone to do so, or simply written it down in paper without publishing it.

You seem to be under the impression that Wikia has any obligation to remove the content here. The bottom line is that they don't unless they are demanded by applicable law enforcement or by original authors.

Then it sounds like the only way to get rid of the content would be to contact the companies that own the characters and/or other elements and confess that I added the content illegally, but my guess is that if they haven't asked Wikia to remove the content by now then they probably don't care. Also it would probably decrease the odds of me ever getting copyright permission to use these characters in the novel I considered writing, or worse yet get me arrested.

Loading editor
    • Crazy Muzzarino wrote:
      87.115.122.110 wrote:
      Digifiend wrote:
      Cms13ca wrote:

You further agree:
      He was informing us it should be changed. We also have our versions of wikia logos in place.

Since I see you did remove it, you should probably take down the custom fonts on it too as Wikai don't allow any customistations of it.

Loading editor
    • 87.115.122.110 wrote:
      Crazy Muzzarino wrote:
      87.115.122.110 wrote:
      Digifiend wrote:
      Cms13ca wrote:

You further agree:
      Since I see you did remove it, you should probably take down the custom fonts on it too as Wikai don't allow any customistations of it.

I'll leave the custom fonts on the BG image incase I have any plans to use those for something other than the navigation bar on top. Also the global footer is ok though, so that one doesn't need a change since that one varies by category and there's no reason for it to be the same.

Loading editor
    • Is deleting content in your wiki legal if you can' blank your own wiki? How about in the case of renaming content?

Loading editor
    • Dessamator wrote: Actually, Fan fiction itself is illegal , unless it is made with the consent of its authors or the work it is based on is in the public domain (or has a permissive license). So by saying you created it, you've possibly just admitted to breaking the the law.

The only reason wikia allows it is because the authors generally don't care enough to hunt down each and every fan-fiction out there to sue them. It would be a losing battle anyway, considering that most web users use usernames that aren't their names, most ips are dynamic or shared, and the fact that one can actually write a bot to generate fan-fiction and post it everywhere.

It seems that you're simply upset that you don't have control over the content you created and posted probably without permission from the authors.

Suggested reading :

As a tranformative work, fair use can be claimed on it. Of course, fair use isn't so much a defense as a thing that might protect you if a judge chooses to honor it.

(I also wonder if it's ethical (or even possible, from a licensing standpoint), considering Wikia's content licensure, for fanfiction to be posted here, since as a derivative of a copyrighted work, it's unlikely to properly fit under a CC-BY license...)

Pinkgirl234 wrote: Is deleting content in your wiki legal if you can' blank your own wiki? How about in the case of renaming content?

This is a different question than the wider thread topic, so it probably would have benefited from its own thread. But yes, it's entirely legal to blank and delete content on a wiki you founded. It's also okay to move pages (the same thing as renaming, from a technical standpoint). However, note that if you have a lot of other people than yourself working on the wiki, it's not really "your" wiki anymore (all founding a wiki really means is that you have extra tools so that you can take care of the wiki--you're like the wiki's mom or dad) and that the wiki's community might not want a lot of blanking and deleting so you should run it by them or they have the right to try to hold a discussion to, say, remove you as an administrator/bureaucrat.

Loading editor
    • This is a different question than the wider thread topic, so it probably would have benefited from its own thread. But yes, it's entirely legal to blank and delete content on a wiki you founded. It's also okay to move pages (the same thing as renaming, from a technical standpoint). However, note that if you have a lot of other people than yourself working on the wiki, it's not really "your" wiki anymore (all founding a wiki really means is that you have extra tools so that you can take care of the wiki--you're like the wiki's mom or dad) and that the wiki's community might not want a lot of blanking and deleting so you should run it by them or they have the right to try to hold a discussion to, say, remove you as an administrator/bureaucrat.

True. It could be considered as vandalism once you have other contributors in your wiki. About the last sentence you said, it's also true that the community has a right to hold a discussion in demoting a sysop who blanks content. The only problem here is that the sysop may possibly turn out as abusive so it's also best to notify Staff about the issue as well. After all, it doesn't mean that you are the founder of a wiki doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want.

Okay, after reading this thread from time to time, let me say this: in the first place, no one should copypaste content from another site and then distribute it to a wiki without even bothering to ask for consent, give credit or paraphrase. This is the definition of plagiarism and most wikis don't tolerate plagiarism. You cannot say that you own the content that you have just got from another site or wiki. If you do mange to use copypaste methods, then at least make the effort in paraphrasing as well as leaving out unneeded parts. In the case of fanfiction though, it still isn't right to get fanfictions that belong to various authors and then distribute them in your wiki. Imagine what the original authors of the fanfictions you have distributed in your wiki when they find out that you used their storied without proper consent. Worse case scenario is when you decided to change parts of their content in order to stray the content from the original layout while most of the parts remain similar between the changed layout and the original layout. The best thing to do is to rename the content into something else like your own and original fanfiction as well as to apologize to the original authors.

Loading editor
    • Pinkgirl234 wrote:
      Is deleting content in your wiki legal if you can' blank your own wiki? How about in the case of renaming content?

Blanking a wikia skin violates the terms of use because it gives visitors nausea and so they can't view the content.

Loading editor
    • Pinkgirl234 wrote:

This is a different question than the wider thread topic, so it probably would have benefited from its own thread. But yes, it's entirely legal to blank and delete content on a wiki you founded. It's also okay to move pages (the same thing as renaming, from a technical standpoint). However, note that if you have a lot of other people than yourself working on the wiki, it's not really "your" wiki anymore (all founding a wiki really means is that you have extra tools so that you can take care of the wiki--you're like the wiki's mom or dad) and that the wiki's community might not want a lot of blanking and deleting so you should run it by them or they have the right to try to hold a discussion to, say, remove you as an administrator/bureaucrat.

True. It could be considered as vandalism once you have other contributors in your wiki. About the last sentence you said, it's also true that the community has a right to hold a discussion in demoting a sysop who blanks content. The only problem here is that the sysop may possibly turn out as abusive so it's also best to notify Staff about the issue as well. After all, it doesn't mean that you are the founder of a wiki doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want.

Okay, after reading this thread from time to time, let me say this: in the first place, no one should copypaste content from another site and then distribute it to a wiki without even bothering to ask for consent, give credit or paraphrase. This is the definition of plagiarism and most wikis don't tolerate plagiarism. You cannot say that you own the content that you have just got from another site or wiki. If you do mange to use copypaste methods, then at least make the effort in paraphrasing as well as leaving out unneeded parts. In the case of fanfiction though, it still isn't right to get fanfictions that belong to various authors and then distribute them in your wiki. Imagine what the original authors of the fanfictions you have distributed in your wiki when they find out that you used their storied without proper consent. Worse case scenario is when you decided to change parts of their content in order to stray the content from the original layout while most of the parts remain similar between the changed layout and the original layout. The best thing to do is to rename the content into something else like your own and original fanfiction as well as to apologize to the original authors.

hi Pink, to an extent staff don't really care about abusive admins considering people have in the past complained but staff won't take action unless it violates the TOU so harassment or disruptive stalking. takes a lot of effort before staff will intervene.

you can't really blank content technically since CC BY-SA basically says anything you submit can be redistributed with attribution/credit that is. staff still grants leeway in terms of what is blanked or deleted. mass deletion almost always gets staff or vstf attention and if alarming they will message you. other than that, they will leave you alone. staff allows closure of wikis depending on topic, existing community and if the topic will ever have any interest.

Loading editor
    • Then I guess it's better to rename the content into something else? After all, there are two options in renaming an article: leave a redirect or don't leave a redirect.

Loading editor
    • Pinkgirl234 wrote:
      Then I guess it's better to rename the content into something else? After all, there are two options in renaming an article: leave a redirect or don't leave a redirect.

not really because CC BY-SA doesn't let you own anything once submitted unless failure to attribute is known.

Loading editor
    • You should probably familiarize yourself with the terms of CC-BY-SA.

Pinkgirl234 wrote:
      ... in the first place, no one should copypaste content from another site and then distribute it to a wiki without even bothering to ask for consent, ...

If the original site's content is licensed CC, copying is absolutely permitted by the license.

Pinkgirl234 wrote:
      ... give credit ...

That's what CC-BY is. The person doing the copy must give credit.

Pinkgirl234 wrote:
      ... or paraphrase. This is the definition of plagiarism and most wikis don't tolerate plagiarism....

Plagiarism is when someone copies someone else's work and claims it as their own. If the person copying does not attribute the source, then they're violating the license terms of CC-BY. Merely copying the work is permitted by CC. CC also allows someone to "transform" the work and claim credit for the transformation. As long as the person or people copying the original work comply with the license, they don't have to ask for anything. The license already gives it to them.

Also, the CC licenses are irrevocable. Once you make something available via the license, it's available forever. You can delete it from a CC-licensed wiki, but someone else can restore it or post a copy of it anywhere else, because that's what CC means.

Loading editor
    • Saftzie wrote:

Also, the CC licenses are irrevocable. Once you make something available via the license, it's available forever. You can delete it from a CC-licensed wiki, but someone else can restore it or post a copy of it anywhere else, because that's what CC means.

Unless someone else keeps a copy of the deleted content, then that would be the case. But it always recommended to give credit to any work that you do not own, especially if you got content from Wikipedia that you have distributed in a wiki. There are other people, however, who do not want any of their stuff uploaded or distributed anywhere else at all unless otherwise necesarry.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.