FANDOM

• Hey Ducksoup,

We've discussed the infobox proposal at The Elder Scrolls Wiki and we've decided to join the project.

Loading editor
    • Hey Flightmare,

Oh goodness, that makes me SO HAPPY. OK, I'll be in touch soon with next steps. Please tell your co-admins that they are rockstars and have earned a pizza party at my house next time they're in San Francisco.

Loading editor
    • Hi Flightmare thank you for volunteering!

I'm a product manager at wikia leading the Infoboxes initiative. I'm also a big fan of Wikia and a dedicated cotributor and founder :) I used to be a HUGE fan and ocasionall modder of Morrowind.

Together with my team we would like to start working on migrating the infoboxes on elderscrolls.wikia.com . Where would be a good place to start?

Loading editor
    • I think the best start would be NPC templates, I often use them for showcasing as they are both simple in structure and popular in pageviews. We have a template per game: w:c:tes:Template:SkyrimNPCs, w:c:tes:Template:OblivionNPCs, w:c:tes:Template:MorrowindNPCs and w:c:tes:Template:OnlineNPCs. All of these are nearly identical and could benefit from some kind of inheritance system, perhaps some kind of master NPC-template (if possible). When I designed the templates a few years back I tried to make an as good as possible split between table structure and the 'look and feel'. The corresponding stylesheets are located at w:c:tes:MediaWiki:Common.css/infobox.css and cover all templates across the wiki.

From there on we could probably tackle the location templates (there are way too many of them around, someone made an awful lot of duplicates a while ago and I'm about to propose we merge them back into one location template per game). The location templates are like the NPC templates in structure.

Finally there are the item, books and shouts templates. Those are the more sophisticated ones where we rely on alternative table lay-outs and scripts running inside the tables. I was planning on replacing some of these scripts with Lua versions, but so far I haven't been able to get these working. How do the new infoboxes interact with embedded scripts? Something like the DragonScript template has become a big dependency for the wiki itself over the past years.

Loading editor
    • Thanks! That sounds like a great plan. We will take a look and and let you know how we can handle the scripts and styles. If you like we can work on optimizing/deduplicating the location templates.

Loading editor
    • I know this isn't really my discussion and I know my opinion probably won't mean much, but I had a plan before to merge all the Quest infoboxes into just one infobox for all. Obviously, this fell through because I left the wiki due to dissatisfaction, but hopefully it's something to consider.

Loading editor
    • Thanks SuperSajuuk. Sounds like a good idea.

Flightmare what do you think?

Loading editor
    • Yes good point, the quests can be handled the same way as the locations.

Loading editor
    • Flightmare wrote: Yes good point, the quests can be handled the same way as the locations.

Cool. This revision shows how I was planning to centralise the quest infoboxes into one simple template that manages them all.

Loading editor
    • Hey guys,

Just FYI we will start the work Tomorrow CET time :)

Loading editor
    • It appears that any categories that are added inside the infobox-tag aren't processed. E.g. w:c:tes:Gwilandor is not added to w:c:tes:category:Online:_Image_Needed while there is no image present in the infobox itself. There are parser functions inside table cells that check for missing information and add categories based on this missing information. Does this indicate that parser functions are not yet supported?

Would it work when those parser functions are replaced with Lua equivalents? For now I think a possible workaround would be moving some of the parser functions and category assignments outside the template, but this is no option for some other templates that are on the todo-list for transformation such as w:c:tes:Template:DragonShouts.

Loading editor
    • This is an excellent question and one I don't have the answer to. User:Shareif and co. have a holiday today, but I presume they'll be back in action tomorrow.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.