FANDOM

• It has revealed that why turning Mediawiki interface messages into nonsense is a violation of the terms even though nonsense to these was not listed on the User conduct section of the terms of use. It could be that it may not be constructive at all and shouldn't be on the website even if the wiki's not theirs. Are you sure admins turning  true Mediawiki messages into nonsense Mediawiki messages can mean that they are abusing their rights and violating the terms?

Loading editor
    • This isn't something that I've ever heard of happening before, so it's hard to imagine examples. On which wiki did this happen? What messages?

Loading editor
    • I think Tim knows why it wasn't ever ok to edit Mediawiki messages in that disorder which I recognize why he deleted them because of vandalism and violated the terms of use.

An example of a deleted nonsense interface was from a year ago which made the staff very angry:

MediaWiki:Viewsource-title on that wiki

It did turn out that it would be abuse but it's the admin's way to make mediawiki messages like these.

Loading editor
    • Still doesn't help much. What was the message, exactly?

Loading editor
    • The message for the example I provided was "Edit for $1", but it didn't make sense because the wikia staff prefered it to say "View Source for $1".

Loading editor
    • Well, that's its function. View the source. It's used for protected pages, so "edit for $1" makes no sense.

Loading editor
    • So that's how they didn't want it that way. Also it was a violation of the Mediawiki message editing policy.

Loading editor
    • You can modify them a bit... as long as they say the same thing.

Loading editor
    • Correct, but what I did wrong last year when I was the admin of this wiki is that I blocked the proper display of another Mediawiki message so that nobody can use it, made vandalism and nonsense to Mediawiki messages which I wasn't sure it was or wasn't a violation of the terms of use and I've made several disorders of the administrative tools that is provided to manage users and such which I'm trying to apologize to the staff about it so that I won't ever do this for my whole entire life even on the site.

Loading editor
    • And I believe I didn't realize Wikia had a no-nonsense policy on these things.

Loading editor

You are allowed to change them, but the TOU specifically mentions not impairing the functionality of the site, which is what it sounds like you did.

I would classify "blanking, nonsense or opposite meaning" as "impairing the functionality" too.

Loading editor
    • Using profanity or inappropriate content is a violation as well, though that should come without question.

Loading editor
    • Yes, inapproprite content isn't allowed. I comply with the policy that none of those are allowed on wikia in which I can't post them here due to restrictions used in wikia.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.