FANDOM

• Is there no theme or easy way to have a wiki that is black text on a white background? I'm amazed all the dark-on-white themes seem to be gray text on a white background. Is it Wikia's goal to be low-contrast, hard to read, and eye-straining?

Loading editor
    • Not at all. You can change the look of the wikia by going to Special:ThemeDesigner on a wikia you have sysop privileges on.

Loading editor
    • I am sysop of the wiki, I've looked through the themes, I don't see an option for text color. Am I missing something?

Loading editor
    • You change it with some css you have to add to the page Special:CSS on your wiki.

Loading editor
    • 2Actimv wrote: You change it with some css you have to add to the page Special:CSS on your wiki.

I guess I'll figure out how to do that sometime  :P I can't believe Wikia is so committed to gray-on-white. Between that & the right rail fiasco, they really need to find someone who knows anything about interface design.

Loading editor
    • Jason, I work at Wikia and I really dislike the communities that choose a dark background with lighter text. However, one of the beauties of Wikia is that individual communities get to choose their theme/design. 

Loading editor
    • Jenburton wrote: Jason, I work at Wikia and I really dislike the communities that choose a dark background with lighter text. However, one of the beauties of Wikia is that individual communities get to choose their theme/design. 

Sometimes the colours make the wiki what it is. An example of this is Creepypasta wiki which wouldn't have the same effect. And yeah, white on black is not good to look at.

Loading editor
    • Jenburton wrote: Jason, I work at Wikia and I really dislike the communities that choose a dark background with lighter text. However, one of the beauties of Wikia is that individual communities get to choose their theme/design. 

I requested black-on-white. Normal, easy-to-read, conventional, high-contrast black on white.

Our theme choices are EXTREMELY limited all to poor, unconventional, low-contrast, hard-to-read choices. We can have gray-text-on-white, or gray-text-on-gray, or gray-text-on-color. It's ALL gray. Why not make it easy for us to have standard black-on-white, like every other interface in the world?

Loading editor
    • You can add your own custom CSS to achieve any color scheme of choice by using Special:CSS on your wiki. After setting the background color in Theme Designer, the CSS you need to add to Special:CSS is:

body.mediawiki { color: #000; } 
        Loading editor
    • TK-999 wrote:

You can add your own custom CSS to achieve any color scheme of choice by using Special:CSS on your wiki. After setting the background color in Theme Designer, the CSS you need to add to Special:CSS is:

Thank you! Fixed. I still can't believe Wikia hates black-on-white and loves gray fonts. They must love promoting eyestrain.

Loading editor
    • To be fair, the default text color is a very dark gray. This color is automagically picked based on the background color within ThemeDesigner. It isn't that Wikia hates black-on-white. The #3A3A3A color is well within the pass/fail for web safe color codes (also has general contrast information too - a good read none-the-less) and works well under most circumstances.

As Jen and TK said above, you are free to change this using CSS (as it seems you already have). Slight tweaks to this automagical color could look more pleasing than this default... for instance Aion Wiki forced the main color back to black since the dark gray didn't suit the beige-ish background color well.

Loading editor
    • Rappy 4187 wrote:

...the default text color is a very dark gray.

I think that's a TERRIBLE default to force on every theme for every Wikia creator & reader. The number of creators & readers that have the time and inclination and realization that investigating will reveal that customization is even possible, and then investigate even further to find out how to actually do it...means that many will put up with that horrible, eye-straining gray.

And I searched Wikia help after I learned that CSS was the method. I found no answer easily available. If I weren't here in this forum, bugging people, asking questions, and didn't get the help of someone knowledgeable in CSS...I'd still be putting up with the gray as well.

Shouldn't readability be the #1 criteria for picking a default you will force on everyone? And what dark-on-light scheme could possibly be more readable than black-on-light? Any other choice is sacrificing readability for...what, "pretty", unreadable text?

Loading editor
    • The problem with providing *everyone* an *easy* way to change too many elements of a wiki is you'll end up with some rather specifically *stupid* choices. There are plenty of wikis as it is which have nearly impossible text/background color combos, that opening wide the floodgates is not necessarily a good idea.

Still, @Staff, would a Text Option perhaps limited to Default(grey)/Black/White be that difficult to add to the Designer?

Loading editor
    • Love Robin wrote:

The problem with providing *everyone* an *easy* way to change too many elements of a wiki is you'll end up with some rather specifically *stupid* choices.

Well how about an easy way to get the most readable, common, conventional, sensible text option one could possibly have (black on white)? You know, the default Wikia should have had from the start.

Loading editor
    • I presume you saw the 2nd paragraph in that post, so all you're doing now is kvetching. And haranguing people you wish to see something your way is often counterproductive.

Loading editor
    • And I am adding my voice to yours, also requesting an option to make limited, simple, obvious changes to fonts.

It doesn't matter anyway, I already gave up. Wikia has had some horrible interface decisions in place for a long time and have no care about changing them. I have my CSS solution, I'm all set.

Loading editor
    • The CSS change made my wiki text black, but when I edit, it's still gray-on-white, which is so frustrating. Is there any way to fix that too?

Loading editor
    • .EditPageEditor .editpage-editarea textarea {
        color: #000000;
      }

Loading editor
    • I emailed Wikia about this.

After many emails (in which they were convinced the Theme Designer could do this), they finally said it had to be CSS, the Theme Designer is designed to give soft contrast.

So poor readability and eyestrain is deliberate.

Wikia should take their cues from Wikipedia, Kindle reader, Gmail, any word processor, any phone's text messaging, etc. Black-on-white is standard because it's good.

Loading editor
    • Good luck with your crusade. Also, everyone, even Wikia, knows their help pages are generally horrible. Since Wikia allows it, I fix the most aggregious errors that I happen upon and I've even added some pages (Help:New window links, Help:Wikitext/more examples and Help:Wikitext/table examples among others). It's a forgiveness before permission process, from what I can tell.

Loading editor
    • Jason C.K. wrote:

Rappy 4187 wrote:

...the default text color is a very dark gray.

I think that's a TERRIBLE default to force on every theme for every Wikia creator & reader. The number of creators & readers that have the time and inclination and realization that investigating will reveal that customization is even possible, and then investigate even further to find out how to actually do it...means that many will put up with that horrible, eye-straining gray.

And I searched Wikia help after I learned that CSS was the method. I found no answer easily available. If I weren't here in this forum, bugging people, asking questions, and didn't get the help of someone knowledgeable in CSS...I'd still be putting up with the gray as well.

Shouldn't readability be the #1 criteria for picking a default you will force on everyone? And what dark-on-light scheme could possibly be more readable than black-on-light? Any other choice is sacrificing readability for...what, "pretty", unreadable text?

I trying to determine whether you have a genuine concern or you are just trolling the forums. The "dark gray" text has the hex code 3a3a3a I believe, which is indeed a very dark gray. While it may not contrast well with some background colors, it looks perfectly fine on a white background. Also, my friend uses 202020 for his wiki's background color, and has a really light gray text and it is fine on the eyes.

Loading editor
    • Readability and causes for eyestrain vary by user. It is simply not easy to say what's right and what's wrong. So you can't just say it is bad for everyone, nor can we say it works fine for everyone. I personally prefer a somewhat darker background than white to improve readability for myself. The darker background in the citation boxes work better for me than the regular page does.

Loading editor
    • Because I tend to be in a darken room, often at night with no lights but the monitor, I *personally* prefer it when the background is *not* white as that is overly harsh for my eyes in my circumstances. I actually have a few sheets of different color plastics to act as filters as I need them.

So yeah, personal viewing experiences.

Loading editor
    • Try the theme designer.  I am pretty sure it may give you some options...

Loading editor
    • Honestly there's no option in the ThemeDesigner to change the color of the text. You can only change the theme, buttons, navigation, wordmark and background.

Loading editor
    • 2Actimv wrote:
      Honestly there's no option in the ThemeDesigner to change the color of the text. You can only change the theme, buttons, navigation, wordmark and background.

Did you try using Wikia.css (CSS editor)?

Loading editor
    • That solution was mentioned over a month ago.

Does not change the fact that Theme Designer does not offer control of text colors.

Loading editor
    • how do you get to theme designer?

Loading editor
      1. You have to be an admin of the wiki you want to access ThemeDesigner on
      2. You have to log into your admin account
      3. Go to Special:ThemeDesigner to access ThemeDesigner

You also should not be bumping a thread from 2014 with an irrelevant question such as that.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.