FANDOM


  • RansomTime
    RansomTime closed this thread because:
    See my reply
    22:48, September 8, 2013


    Me and a couple friends from YouTube a few months ago opened up a wiki called the Anti-Feminist League Wiki. A wiki which we have been editing since it was open. But to our dismay, we found out a couple days ago that it was closed down. Wikia did not give me or any of my friends a warning or notification that this had happened or was even going to happen. We still to this day don't know why it's been closed down. 

    Was it because of the content of the wiki? Anti-Feminism is a contraversial topic to say the least, but despite that we have a right to express our opinion, if this is the reason for it being closed down I feel that's a poor reason to do so. Even if you don't agree with our political views we have a right to express our opinion, nobody on Wikia should have to fear being censored simply for having an unpopular opinion. But I'm not even sure if this was the reason for it's termination. 

    Another reason might be having "offensive" content of the wiki, such as faul language. Though none of the articles used profanity, there was one video on the wiki which did say some bad words. Could this be the reason for the wiki being closed? If so Wikia should've given me or someone else a warning telling us to remove the video. Just plain closing the wiki down for it is a bit extreme. 

    At the end of the day I'm not sure why this happened. but I'm hoping I can get a legitimate answer here. 

      Loading editor
    • If you are the founder or admin of a closed wiki, you can discuss the closure with Staff via Special:Contact. Staff will not discuss wiki closures in a public forum.

        Loading editor
    • Eladkse wrote:
      If you are the founder or admin of a closed wiki, you can discuss the closure with Staff via Special:Contact. Staff will not discuss wiki closures in a public forum.

      I'm not the Creator, but I am an Administrator. I'll go check that out. 

        Loading editor
    • Zippertrain85 wrote:

      Anti-Feminism is a contraversial topic to say the least, but despite that we have a right to express our opinion, if this is the reason for it being closed down I feel that's a poor reason to do so.

      You might have the right to express your opinion but you don't have the right to express it wherever you want. Wikis on wikia have to abide by the terms of use and if staff feel that wiki broke the tou then they have a right to shut it down.

        Loading editor
    • Bluebellanon wrote:

      Zippertrain85 wrote:

      Anti-Feminism is a contraversial topic to say the least, but despite that we have a right to express our opinion, if this is the reason for it being closed down I feel that's a poor reason to do so.

      You might have the right to express your opinion but you don't have the right to express it wherever you want. Wikis on wikia have to abide by the terms of use and if staff feel that wiki broke the tou then they have a right to shut it down.

      I don't know what rules we would've broken. Criticizing a movement is NOT hate speech. And as I said, Wikia didn't give me or any of my friends an explanation or anything. 

        Loading editor
    • “The Company may terminate your account, delete your profile and any content or information that you have posted on the Service and/or prohibit you from using or accessing the Service for any reason, or no reason, at any time in its sole discretion, with or without notice.”
      Terms of Use
        Loading editor
    • TK-999 wrote:

      “The Company may terminate your account, delete your profile and any content or information that you have posted on the Service and/or prohibit you from using or accessing the Service for any reason, or no reason, at any time in its sole discretion, with or without notice.”
      Terms of Use

      Regardless of topic, I agree with Zippertrain that although Wikia's terms say that, closing a wiki because of the political views it's based on is ridiculous, and if anything, puts Wikia in the wrong. Unless an individual was directly attacked and/or slandered by the content of this wiki, closing it down without notice or so much as an explanation is not the right course of action, and I doubt Wikia's terms say that a wiki cannot be based on a political opinion and against a certain movement.

        Loading editor
    • TK-999 wrote:
      “The Company may terminate your account, delete your profile and any content or information that you have posted on the Service and/or prohibit you from using or accessing the Service for any reason, or no reason, at any time in its sole discretion, with or without notice.”

      Terms of Use

      That's extremely stupid. That they can just destroy all of someone's work for no reason. Wouldn't they make users afraid of making a wiki or an account since they could just terminate it simply for having opinions they might not agree with? That is just shameful. 

        Loading editor
    • Wikia does regularly close wikis it considers "hate" wikis without notification, please contact Wikia to request further explanation, this is a community support board so we don't have access to the reasons of this wiki's closure, only Wikia staff knows this.

      The discussion of weather or not the wiki is against Wikia's Terms of Use isn't one that we want here. You are free to make your case in your email to staff. I'm going to close this forum thread, because we can't really help further as a community. Please note that Wikia is a private company, and can choose not to host your wiki for any reason, including no reason at all.

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.