FANDOM

• So a user on one of my wikis has been just adding a category saving and then adding another category and saving then undoing it just for badges. What should i say to him to get him to stp but not sound like a d*ck.

Loading editor
    • Ask him nicely about the problem ! And are you the admin there ?

CrypticBosnian (talk) 04:59, August 14, 2013 (UTC) 

Loading editor
    • Ya i am

Loading editor
    • If he continues doing so, even after multiply requests sent to him to stop, block him for a day. 

Loading editor
    • Haze: Just jumping in here. It helps if you have policies you can refer the user to. This would fall under "spam" on the wiki I work with.

Loading editor
    • G'day Haze

Were this happening on one of the Wikis I manage, I'd approach it along the lines of...

G'day
      Thought I'd send you a non-automated welcome to this wiki and to thank you for joining us. I noticed that you've been adding and then removing Categories to pages, can I ask why you're doing this.
      We've had people in the past just to gain badges, rather than because it actually helps contribute to the Wiki, but I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt and ask you if there was a reason that you were doing this (I like to assume that people are trying to help).
      If you are keen to earn badges, there is HEAPS to do. We have a To Do List that has a few suggestions of things people can do to help make this place better.
      Thanks again for joining us. I look forward to seeing more of your contributions about the place.
      Raz : )

But that's me. I have a very informal approach, which doesn't mean that I can't call people on their BS when necessary, but I have encountered instances where trying to assume the best of people has actually paid off, and that what someone was doing wasn't what people thought they were doing.

Hope this helps. Feel free to plagerise and re-word my suggestion to suit your own culture and mannerisms.

Raz  : )

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.