FANDOM

• I'd like to know how to make a sitenotice in Oasis that acts just like the monobook one - appears at the top and is dismissable. Please do not tell me to use Community Corner - I hate it and it is awful for grabbing people's attention. I've also tried to customize the message displayed when the Corner is changed to say messages, but I'm fed up of having to make stupid edits to Community Corner every time I want messages to be noticed. If someone good at JS could come up with a solution, I'd be very happy. Thanks!

Loading editor
    • Dzylon
      Dzylon removed this reply because:
      There are probably issues with this.
      00:01, January 8, 2013
      This reply has been removed
    • Honestly, I don't think it's allowable under Terms of Use. What I've seen done before is to transclude MediaWiki:Sitenotice into MediaWiki:Recentchangestext. But RecentChanges tends to be the reserve of the more experienced Wikian, where WikiActivity is used by the newer editors, so I can't say how much use you'll get out of it.

Another option is to use your mainpage to notify editors, but again, that relies on people viewing the page (I personally land on RecentChanges when I haven't specified a page).

And of course a third option is to highlight a thread with the Wikia forum extension (requiring you to enable the Wikia forums) which notifies every editor through the wall notifications menu.

Loading editor
    • I've seen a notice of this type used here, on Community Central. I would link the revision, but the page (Wikia.js) has been deleted.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for your reply - Would staff undelete it just so I can see it? If the message displays below the advert, why would it be against the ToU?

Loading editor
    • Dzylon wrote: I've seen a notice of this type used here, on Community Central. I would link the revision, but the page (Wikia.js) has been deleted.

The message you describe was added by me due to a situation that had arisen Wikia-wide while Staff were not active, and is ToU violating. I got in a lot of trouble with Staff for adding it in the first place - for a number of reasons (I will not go into specifics).

Note this specific notice was thrown together to alert users, and moved various elements of the interface. A site-wide notice in the content area may still be allowed.

Loading editor
    • Eladske: Did staff give you a reason why it isn't allowed?

Loading editor
    • As a general rule you aren't allowed to mess with anything above the page header, in this case "How to make a sitenotice in Oasis". You can style certain things like Dead Space wiki have done, but removing of altering the position of things is a no-no.

It's considered a core part of the wikia skin, as is the sidebar and pretty much anything that can't be touched outside editing a page or through mediawiki pages (js/css pages excluded)

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic
      Fandyllic removed this reply because:
      Created while non-logged in.
      18:00, January 15, 2013
      This reply has been removed
    • So why can't you use MediaWiki:Communitymessages-notice-msg and MediaWiki:Community-corner? You hate it and it is somehow awful at grabbing people's attention?

It would be nice if you explained in detail why this option is so bad.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: So why can't you use MediaWiki:Communitymessages-notice-msg and MediaWiki:Community-corner? You hate it and it is somehow awful at grabbing people's attention?

It would be nice if you explained in detail why this option is so bad.

I dislike it because it appears at the bottom, rather than the top of the page, which is illogical. Also, I do not like having to do things like adding full stops to Community Corner just to make the message visible. Also, if I want it to be visible for longer than 24 hours, editing CC again makes it visible to users who had already dismissed the messages.

As for using CC to display wiki-wide messages, it's on Wiki Activity, a feature that I do not want to encourage the use of, so forcing users to go there is bad. Also, if I see that "Community Messages have been updated!" thing, I end up ignoring it, unlike a Sitenotice which I can see immediately without leaving the page I'm on. I want anon. users and registered users to actually view our wiki's messages, rather than ignore them.

Also, the Community Corner is only 300 or so pixels wide, which isn't enough.

Loading editor
    • Enable WallForum on your wiki and highlight a thread containing your message. Simple. I can tell you from direct experience that it's far more effective at grabbing people's attnetion than Community-corner.

Both methods suck in one way, though: neither alerts IP editors in the way that MediaWiki:Sitenotice does for Monobook users.

Loading editor
    • @ Lachlan5963: Yeah those are all valid points. Although the notification doesn't show up at the bottom of the page, but the bottom right of the window which should normally always be obvious and visible.

I find MediaWiki:Communitymessages-notice-msg works fine for WoWWiki, but Community corner is pretty stupid. Okay, it's very, very stupid. I also hate Wiki Activity.

What I do is change wowwiki:MediaWiki:Communitymessages-notice-msg to it doesn't point to Community corner, but a full sized page wowwiki:WoWWiki:Community-corner which is much bigger, but has community corner transcluded into it.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I just point Communitymessages-notice-msg directly back to MediaWiki:Community-corner at w:c:tardis. Or did, while we were using Community-corner heavily.

Still doesn't solve the glaring error in Oasis that there is absolutely no way to reach anons — i.e. the vast majority of users. Heck, you can't even leave a message on an anon's talk page and hope they'll see it.

Loading editor
    • Does highlight forum work for anons?

Loading editor
    • Nope. As I said, the glaring error in Oasis is that there is no way to reach anions — not even posting on their talk pages will make an alert pop up.

However highlighting forum threads is a much more effective way to reach registered users than community-corner.

Loading editor
    • CzechOut wrote: Nope. As I said, the glaring error in Oasis is that there is no way to reach anions — not even posting on their talk pages will make an alert pop up.

However highlighting forum threads is a much more effective way to reach registered users than community-corner.

Ah - That explains why they never reply to messages I send them. Only thing is that I don't want the forums enabled, mainly due to the "Related Discussions" section at the bottom.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I've never really understood why there are talk pages for IP users at all, since Wikia (the company) forces IP users to employ Wikia (the skin). MediaWiki:Welcome-message-anon suggests a hopefulness about communicating with IP users that's totally unjustified.

Loading editor
    • This is why I'm happy my primary wiki doesn't allow anons. :-P

Loading editor
    • You've thrown off anons entirely? Wow. That's . . . radical.

Loading editor
    • WoWWiki has never allowed anons. It's at exception, true, but it apparently didn't need anons.

Loading editor
    • So are all their pages simply protected from anon editors or has some higher flag been flipped?

Loading editor
    • I don't know exactly how it is done, not having access to the PHP settings, but I suspect it is done at the MediaWiki engine level by setting: $wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;

See Manual:Preventing access, Restrict anonymous editing section

Loading editor
    • I was really wondering which of the two methods was used. I can quite see protecting every page individually as being something potentially allowable by the ToU. But I wouldn't have thought Wikia would have allowed changing base group permissions.

Loading editor
    • You should really start a new thread (in General Discussion?) about restricting anonymous editing. This has gotten into severe thread hijacking at this point.

Loading editor
    • Coincidentally, I made a workaround sitenotice for RuneScape Wiki, due to a recent bug in the game the wiki is about. Something like

$('#WikiaArticle').prepend('<div id="oasisSitenotice" style="border:1px solid #000; text-align:center; padding:5px; width:95%; margin:auto;">Sitenotice goes here</div>

is ToU safe as it only touches the content area. It's not dismissable like the normal one, although I could probably add mw-collapsible to it as a workaround.

Unless someone more proficient than me wants to mock up something you can dismiss?

And (even better), anons can see it.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for the code! I was able to adapt it for my wiki. (Still fine-tuning the announcement, but it's clearly working.)

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.