FANDOM

• Not on my end, of course--I think this one would require code. But--I am having a problem with people who reply to their own comments, sometimes within minutes of the first comment, sometimes with a whole string of comments. Always by unregistered contributors. Sometimes, they are even set up, conversation-wise, to try and make it seem like someone else is seconding their posted opinion, though a quick check shows only one IP involved. Is it possible to have some kind of built-in restriction against directly replying to your own comment? Maybe at least for unregistered contributors?

Loading editor
    • How would you tell that a reply was in reply to their own reply? There's no reply button to reply to a reply, to identify which reply a reply is made to, unless it was quoted.

If an IP user were replying to five different people's replies in a message thread, that would appear to be the same action as your scenario, since you just stick a new reply at the end of the thread in comments and if you don't want to quote in the new forums.

Loading editor
    • I've had this same issue in the M:AA Wiki. AWC posts something, and immediately underneath it is a reply to that post from the same IP, quoting themselves, but with no other additional comments.

I thought it was just a numpty user, but I guess there's a bug somewhere. Hopefully the Developers will see this and rectify the bug, rather than putting in what I think is an unneccessary restriction.

: )

Razorgirl Wiki Sig

Loading editor
    • I said restriction in ignorance, and perhaps described the problem badly. Its not replies but other comments that follow the first from the same IP. Basically AWC1 willl say "Nice Boat" and AWC will then pretend to be AnotherWC and say "Brilliant opinion! I think it is an awesome boat!" or like that. In one case, AWC left a whole string of comments about a character called Kaede's Puppy, all of which were about five words long, like some kind of poem strung together. Maybe there is no reasonable solution. I just found it annoying and somewhat weird.

Loading editor
    • Sounds like the problem is with that User, not Wikia's system/infrastructure.

Personally, were that to happen in the M:AA Wiki that I'm an Admin for, I'd block the IP for 48 hours due to breaching our Wiki's Code of Conduct, but leave them the option to become a Registered User.

Loading editor
    • Thanks.

Loading editor
    • That is weird and not very helpful if you are trying to establish a genuine community. There may need to be some form of moderation in place so that you can maintain the quality of your Wikia.

Loading editor
    • I am moderating it, and trying to instruct rather than simply denounce. But its like someone badly feigning a second voice on the other end of a phone line, except its really right in front of you, making it even more frustrating.

The quality of the community is pretty good, except for the Yuka hate-dom.

Loading editor
    • Are they spamming or are they just being annoying?

Loading editor
    • I think Razorgirl's suggestion of just having a wiki policy against posting unconstructive comments (spam, talking to yourself, hate messages, etc.) is the best way to go, and warning/blocking users or anons who post such messages.

If you really do want a feature to physically prevent anons from replying to their own comments, this is technically possible to do with JavaScript. Are you basically just looking for a coder to write the code for this?

Loading editor
    • I guess I'll keep an eye on it and keep warning them. I guess at least in the case of talking to themselves, I would have thought there no need for such scrutiny. The other stuff is just the nature of the net, but that seems pre-school.

Loading editor
    • Alright, well if you change your mind and do want someone to code something for you (or just for future reference whenever you want someone to code something for you, or if you have more of a technically oriented sort of question), I'd recommend creating a thread on the Getting Technical board instead of here in the General Discussion area.

Loading editor
    • Thanks. If I do, I'll pursue it there. Just out of interest for an entirely separate question, what board would I post to if I had a research methodology question about a questionable fact concerning a character on my Wiki?

Loading editor
    • Gojirob wrote:
      Thanks. If I do, I'll pursue it there. Just out of interest for an entirely separate question, what board would I post to if I had a research methodology question about a questionable fact concerning a character on my Wiki?

Hmmmm, probably this General Discussion board, just because it doesn't really sound like it fits any of the other boards any better. The list of boards here with the description of each one is at Special:Forum, basically whichever one you think fits your topic best is the way to go.

Loading editor
    • Again, thanks. Well, here goes. According to some sources, a minor but pivotal character in Elfen Lied is the older sister of a main character, a fact not revealed in the series itself, but on the 'Official Website' after it was done. My problem arises in that, when checking net sources to verify this as best I could, I found that each and every site that listed this possible fact had the exact same sentence to describe it--verbatim, with not a variation to be found anywhere it was cited. Also odd, the term 'official website' is not as helpful as it would seem. About four sites minimum match up with that description, one from the mangaka, one from the publisher of the manga, one from the anime producer, and one more that is apparently down for the count; all are/were in Japanese.

As a result, I am more doubtful of this alleged fact that I might normally be. I don't think anything as silly as a conspiracy, but more like someone who thought this was true posted it as a verified fact, and this fact got copied & pasted ad infinitum without being checked. So, in your view, and I appreciate any input at all, am I right based on these factors to have serious doubts about this?

BTW, I have noted this on the wiki in an appropriate article, but wanted to see if the premise of my having doubts was sound in anyone's view.

Thanks.

Loading editor
    • Sorry, to clarify, what I meant is that you should start a new thread. See at the top of this page where it says:

Forum > General Discussion board > Is it possible to enact this restriction?

This thread is a thread on the General Discussion board and it's title is: "Is it possible to enact this restriction?". What you should do for your research methodology question is go back to the General Discussion board and create a new thread (with a different title) so you can start a new discussion.

Loading editor
    • Sorry.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.