FANDOM

• Hi -- I read your summaries of Message Wall bugs, thanks for posting such detailed reports. I'm going to continue the conversation here, because it's easier to make sure we don't miss each other's messages.

My team is just working on the Message Wall and Forum -- sorry I misunderstood your comment about the tabview; I thought you were referring to a problem with the Wall. I'll pass your comments about the editor to George, who works on that team.

So here are some responses about the Wall bugs:

• Thanks for pointing out the WantedPages bug -- that one actually did slip by us. I'll put that on the list to fix as part of the Forum project.
    • Audio files -- I clicked on that link, and I could hear that audio file. ("Hello, Stillwater, this is your mayor, Marshall Winslow...") Then I reloaded and couldn't. I'll have to look into it some more.
    • I know you talked to Trevor about user-talk-sub-sub-pages; I'll have to ask him if there was any resolution to that question.
    • Talk page archives -- This isn't a bug, it's a product decision. Like I said before, it doesn't make sense to have two competing systems for doing the same thing on a wiki. It's true that ongoing conversations may get cut off and restarted in the new system, but that's a one-time pain rather than a long-term mess. Instead of leaving further messages for people on their user talk archive, you could leave a message on their Wall continuing the conversation -- then they'll get a notification, and you can pick things up from there.
    • Edit summaries -- we're going to build a Preview option for Message Wall & Forum posts pretty soon. It's possible that we'll be able to add edit summaries in that; we'll see how it works.

Let me know if you've got other questions or ideas about the Message Wall or Forum. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about the current problems!

Loading editor

Edit: This started at http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog_comment:Toughpigs/Wikia%27s_new_Forum_demo/@comment-User452-20120726035605/@comment-User452-20120728020856?permalink=412101#comm-412101

No worries, I like the Message Wall, so I'd just like to see it working 100%.

Good idea continuing it here.

• Wantedpages

Cool - I set up some examples here:

Test links: http://saintsrow.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:22750
      Results: http://saintsrow.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages

Not all of my test links triggered blue links, so it looks like the probably may have been partially fixed.

• Message wall audio

Odd that it sometimes works, that probably means it's going to be a tricky one to figure out. Although admittedly this is a bug that won't really effect many users.

• Talk page archives- "Instead of leaving further messages for people on their user talk archive,"

What I meant to say was that I had, previous to changing over to Message Wall, left messages on their user talk pages, which they now cannot reply to - I don't leave messages there any more. But since it's not a bug, I won't go on about it.

Any comment at all on my suggestion for a protection level of "userpage owner and admins" only as the default for userpages?
      • Edit summaries - cool.
        Loading editor
    • The "owner & admins" protection level isn't a bad suggestion. We actually use a similar approach for the Remove & Restore function on the Message Wall. If a thread is removed from your wall, admins and wall owners can restore the thread with one click; everybody else has to type a summary before restoring it. That's not quite the same thing as your suggestion, but we're thinking about how to use that owner/admin dynamic.

Loading editor

I just remembered something else I've reported in the past: when using HTML in message wall comments, the html is stripped if you edit the message.

While it is possible to "view source" and copy it before editing and pasting, that's a little annoying to do every time.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, that's a bug that some other folks mentioned recently -- we're going to work on that very soon.

Loading editor

Following up on the problem of blue Message Wall and thread links on http://saintsrow.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages - problem still not fixed.

I've opened a new support ticket: https://support.wikia-inc.com/requests/51262

Loading editor
    • Yeah, sorry for the delay on that fix... It's one of the bugs that we're working on as part of the current cycle; we're hoping to get that out by the end of the month.

Loading editor

I've just noticed that the "Redlinks in deleted Threads/messages appear on WantedPages" problem was never fixed.

Loading editor
    • The problem that you originally asked about was the blue links appearing in Wanted Pages -- that was fixed, and it looks okay now.

Redlinks from deleted Threads is a different problem. I can see that it's a little annoying, but we've got a lot of work still to do getting Forums ready for Labs, so we won't have time to fix that second problem soon. If it helps -- admins can edit messages in deleted threads to remove the redlink.

Loading editor

Thread:412101

"

There are [three related] issues with Message Wall and WantedPages

• Links to individual Threads appear on WantedPages as blue links
      • Links to archived talk pages appear on WantedPages as blue links
      • Redlinks in deleted Threads/messages appear on WantedPages
      "

I realise that admins can edit the messages to remove the redlink, that's why I forgot to check up on it after I told you.

After reporting the first message wall link problem in January (https://support.wikia-inc.com/requests/21688), I left all examples intact for reference, which at some point included an example of a deleted link appearing on WantedPages, but as of April I removed the examples (https://support.wikia-inc.com/requests/31177). I can't find anywhere where I specifically described the problem in a bug report before July, but I told you about that specific problem in July (Quoted above) and that list was largely created by looking through my past bug reports, so I must have said something about it somewhere - and it's unlikely that I wouldn't have reported the bug in some form - perhaps I did so as a comment to a Staff blog post, as I did with you. After the blue links were fixed, I never checked that this other problem had been fixed and I never read back over my list of bugs to verify. (Because I'm not actually employed by Wikia to double check bug fixes.)

Loading editor

Finally found the original report from the 27th of April: http://support.wikia-inc.com/tickets/32529

"Red links in deleted Message Wall posts are showing up on Special:WantedPages."

Loading editor
    • Thank you for compiling the information; it's very helpful. I'm sorry that there are some long-standing bugs that we haven't been able to fix yet. I'll look into these some more.

Loading editor

Do you have any idea what the longest-standing bug is?

I asked when the tab-index for the new editor was fixed, but didn't get a reply.

Since the "red links in deleted messages" problem has been present for well over a year now, it's probably the longest I know about. It's at least the only outstanding editor/message wall bug that I encounter regularly.

Loading editor

Toughpigs wrote:

• Talk page archives -- This isn't a bug, it's a product decision. Like I said before, it doesn't make sense to have two competing systems for doing the same thing on a wiki. It's true that ongoing conversations may get cut off and restarted in the new system, but that's a one-time pain rather than a long-term mess.

As it turns out, adding the right "editwallarchivedpages" to the "User" group resolves this issue. It would have been nice to have been told about this.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.