FANDOM

• Hello! i want to know if it's allowed to add to an article a template with a link to a non-Wikia wiki for purpose of attributing its content. If both wikis work by the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0, would it fine, even if the link is an external one? Thanks. ~The Maverick 013 19:54, July 13, 2012 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Most Wikias have a {{Wikipedia}} specifically for this purpose. Based on this, there shouldn't be a problem with using a template to attribute any external wiki that's under a free license, as there is nothing particularly special about Wikipedia as far as licensing goes.

That being said, you don't need a template or physical notice on the page to attribute. If you use Special:Import to import the page with the full history, that's sufficient attribution. I believe you can also copy/paste so long as you put the URL in the edit summary, though it would be preferable to import because it preserves history.

Edit: I should also add that I'm not an expert on licensing, so you should wait for further clarification.

Loading editor
    • yes!!!!

thank you, me and maveric really needed to know! ^^

- Hasta La Pasta!

Loading editor
    • Thanks for the reply! Sure, i will wait for any other clarification. ~The Maverick 013 00:52, July 14, 2012 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Hi. Yes. If you copy content from another wiki you need to give attribution as required by their license.

So Special:Import works great to take content from one wikia wiki to another, however it does not technically give attribution to the correct authors if you use it on content from a non-wikia site; that site will have its own user base and it is perfectly possible that User:The Maverick013 is somebody else over there altogether. So the "author list" is not actually correct after the import.

For a non-wikia wiki, you need to check what, if anything, the other site requests as attribution for pages copied from their site. And then do that. Most commonly the requested attribution is a link back to the site, but you should check what they say.

Loading editor
    • Thank you! it will help me so much. ~The Maverick 013 18:11, July 14, 2012 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • thanks!!!!! ^^

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.