FANDOM

• Hi. With the trouble we seem to be receiving on the MUGEN Database at the moment, I wanted to ask this. Is there a way to change what a user group can do? Say to prevent Wikia Contributors from creating pages (still allowing them to edit them). This would cut down on our problems by a HUGE amount.

Loading editor
    • You could ask for the abuse filter extension.

Loading editor
    • Care to elaborate as to what that may be?

Loading editor
    • If a wiki is receiving heavy amounts of vandalism, you can get a temporary protect site (disallowing anonymous users from editing). In the long term, the Abuse Filter extension is the better bet. The AbuseFilter is an extension that allows you to set conditions. If those conditions are met, you can choose what happens then (usually stopping the edit from happening). Special:Contact to talk to staff about either.

Loading editor
    • Extension:AbuseFilter, a tool allowing you to set up filters to prevent/tag certain edit patterns and/or block the perpetrators. More details regarding it can be found on its syntax and actions pages.

Loading editor
    • I was thinking more of customising what a user group can do. This is what I had in mind

Loading editor
    • You cannot stop anonymous users from editing long term unless in extreme cases.

Loading editor
    • I wasn't planning on stopping them from editing, just from making pages (much like how wikis like Super Mario Wiki prevents unregistered users from creating pages).

Loading editor
    • Garcho - contact Fandom Staff and tell them what you want done. A staff member will review it and get back to you. It should be faster than getting a reply on a staff's message wall.

Loading editor
    • This is an available option, but in my experience it doesn't really stop vandalism for long. It's more of a short-term solution to an acute vandalism problem, especially because of the large percentage of recent new pages that have been kept that are by non-logged in users - I wouldn't recommend this as a good solution.

What kinds of vandalism problems are you having? As TK has said, AbuseFilter might fit your needs better, as you can set up tags for the kinds of edits that might be a problem, and even block certain edit patterns as it suits you.

Loading editor
    • Please contact Wikia as Rappy suggested.

Loading editor
    • Perhaps not recent-recently, but around Christmas last year, we had massive floods of unregistered users creating random (and sometimes offensive) pages - to prevent this from happening again, if there was an option to change what user groups can do on the wiki, I would make it so that unregistered user cannot create pages.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.