FANDOM

• Where did you get the template from? It appears to use a custom Lua module which was not copied to the wiki.

Loading editor
    • It appears to be from here.

Loading editor
    • I don't think such a simple template needs to be that complicated? Wouldn't just this do?
      <div style="margin: 4px 5%; border: 1px solid; padding: 3px;">
      [[File:Example.jpg|40px|link=|]]<br>
      This {{{1|article}}} '''needs more [[Help:Links|links to other articles]]'''.
      </div>
      Results:

Example

This article needs more links to other articles.
        Loading editor
    • Okay. I have done an investigation and here is what I have so far.

The script errors are from Template:Underlinked. This template, for some reason, is being switched back-and-forth between two different versions that use two different Lua Modules. Depending on which version of the template you are looking at, it uses either Module:Unsubst or Module:Message_box.

The former is used directly in the template with some other convoluted wikitext that even I can't figure out. Additionally, that module was deleted today from the wiki. This implementation of the template appears to come from Wikipedia (here) so I assume that is where the deleted module came from as well (here).

The latter is called by Template:Mbox which is called by Template:Ambox which is what the template in question calls. This implementation is from Templates Wiki as Parkour2906 mentioned above. Ambox appears to have been properly copied from Templates Wiki but Mbox and its associated module appear to have been copied from Wikipedia (template, module).

The issue here is that the Wikipedia modules utilize a part of the extension that is not supported on Fandom. So copy-pasting solutions from Wikipedia may not (in this case, do not) work.

The quickest solution is to recopy Mbox and its associated module from Templates Wiki. On Fandom, the module is called "Mbox" instead of "Message box"; the same name as the template. It appears that copying the module was already done by Mediocre Clarinet Player earlier today (here). So to was reverting Underlinked to the Template Wiki version. So that means the only thing left is to fix template Mbox.

Edit:

Here is an additional note about module Mbox. The versions on Fandom Developers Wiki, Template Wiki, and Fandom Starter Pages are different. So when trying to use the module, be sure to look at the correct version of the documentation. For those that don't know, Fandom Starter Pages is the legacy wiki that Fandom uses as a template when creating new legacy wikis. I am not sure what the template is for UCP wikis but the modules seem to be identical.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Okay. I have done an investigation and here is what I have so far.

The script errors are from Template:Underlinked. This template, for some reason, is being switched back-and-forth between two different versions that use two different Lua Modules. Depending on which version of the template you are looking at, it uses either Module:Unsubst or Module:Message_box.

The former is used directly in the template with some other convoluted wikitext that even I can't figure out. Additionally, that module was deleted today from the wiki. This implementation of the template appears to come from Wikipedia (here) so I assume that is where the deleted module came from as well (here).

The latter is called by Template:Mbox which is called by Template:Ambox which is what the template in question calls. This implementation is from Templates Wiki as Parkour2906 mentioned above. Ambox appears to have been properly copied from Templates Wiki but Mbox and its associated module appear to have been copied from Wikipedia (template, module).

The issue here is that the Wikipedia modules utilize a part of the extension that is not supported on Fandom. So copy-pasting solutions from Wikipedia may not (in this case, do not) work.

The quickest solution is to recopy Mbox and its associated module from Templates Wiki. On Fandom, the module is called "Mbox" instead of "Message box"; the same name as the template. It appears that copying the module was already done by Mediocre Clarinet Player earlier today (here). So to was reverting Underlinked to the Template Wiki version. So that means the only thing left is to fix template Mbox.

Edit:

Here is an additional note about module Mbox. The versions on Fandom Developers Wiki, Template Wiki, and Fandom Starter Pages are different. So when trying to use the module, be sure to look at the correct version of the documentation. For those that don't know, Fandom Starter Pages is the legacy wiki that Fandom uses as a template when creating new legacy wikis. I am not sure what the template is for UCP wikis but the modules seem to be identical.

The template "Underlinked" doesn't show a script error anymore but it doesn't display properly

Loading editor
    • Heres how it shows. I substituted a missing image with one from wikipedia with the same name

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO NAME IMAGE HALP
        Loading editor
    • That is because you aren't using the image parameters properly. This is what you have right now.

| image = [[File:Ambox wikify.svg|50x40px|link=|alt=]]

Try this instead

| image = Ambox wikify.svg
      | imagewidth = 50x40px
      | imageadjust = alt=
      | imagelink =

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      That is because you aren't using the image parameters properly. This is what you have right now.
      | image = [[File:Ambox wikify.svg|50x40px|link=|alt=]]

Try this instead

| image = Ambox wikify.svg
      | imagewidth = 50x40px
      | imageadjust = alt=
      | imagelink =

thanks but its just an image now? it doesnt show a box or anything

Starvin marvi
        Loading editor
    • I am not sure why but even the templates on Templates Wiki are using parameters the module doesn't check for. If you could give a link to an example you would like to replicate the style of, I could try to help rework your templates to get a close result.

Loading editor
    • Just to follow up, this is why some Wikipedia Lua modules can't be used on Fandom. I don't know how Wikipedia gets #invoke to access the metatable but modules that require that won't work here on Fandom.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.