FANDOM

• I ask because a Wiki I follow was recently migrated, and lots of things are now broken. Apparently just for me, though, since other users have been editing it as normal and seem unaware of any issues. I checked out some other Wikis, and I consistently had the same problems with the migrated ones, while those still on the old platform all work just fine.

I get more or less the same behaviour with both Firefox and Chrome (IE, of course, is incapable of even reaching this site in the first place), which leads me to suspect that my OS is the culprit, at least indirectly.

Some of the symptoms I've noticed, just to illustrate how useless my favourite Wiki has now become:

1. Image thumbnails are mostly not displayed, resulting in galleries full of nothing. The first two thumbs on a page usually do display, but...

2. Clicking on a thumbnail no longer brings up the image viewer, but goes straight to the full size image (it links to "static.*" rather than "vignette.*"). So I can't use that method to browse a gallery, either.

3. Galleries are wrongly formatted. Where there used to be four images per line, now there's only one taking up the full width.

4. "Expand" buttons no longer work.

5. Article comments have all disappeared. I understand that these were supposed to have been migrated to a replacement feature... but I'm not seeing anything.

6. The Discord plugin is broken. An error message is displayed in its place.

PS I'd just like to point out that a certain popular online encyclopedia currently uses a later version of MediaWiki than UCP does, yet I've never encountered any compatibility issues there, even with my outdated computer system...

Loading editor
    • Each software were released in 2007 and 2020 respectively. In my opinion, I don’t think they would be compatible. However, if you do still have Vista, it’s possible that it would work with UCP, however there might be slower load times with the fact that Vista is over 10 years old and support for it was discontinued a few years ago.

Loading editor
    • Please see this thread where someone else asked a similar question about Windows XP.

To summarize, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc. are operating systems. They have no direct impact on whether or not you can use a particular website. The website interacts with your web browser and your web browser interacts with your operating system. So if you find a web browser that works on your operating system and with the website, then you can continue to use your current operating system to access the website.

However, as Paramount1106 said, Windows Vista is rather old at this point. After it came Windows 7 and even that isn't supported anymore (except enterprise licenses which will become unsupported in about 9 months). As such, the chances of finding a browser that works with your operating system and supports the website is extremely unlikely.

Loading editor
    • Slight correction on what Andrewds1021 said... there is potentially a dependency on the OS as some browsers do not have their own SSL library and rely on the OS to handle https connections. In these cases, an old OS can have an old unsupported SSL library that may affect th compatibllity of websites when using browsers that have this limitation. I'm pretty sure Chrome and Firefox do not rely on the OS SSL library, so you should try those first.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Please see this thread where someone else asked a similar question about Windows XP.

The fact that "several users have reported increasing problems with older browsers" doesn't fill me with confidence, but none of this really answers my question. Which perhaps I should have phrased more specifically, something like "is UCP incompatible with browsers that run under Vista, such as Firefox 52.9.0?" It would be nice to have a definitive answer, rather than just speculation...

Loading editor
    • Probably no one can really give such an answer. Fandom don't try to be compatible with old browsers, so if it doesn't work for you, then probably there is a compatability issue. But it can also be another problem as well. Your best chance is to try installing Chrome and see if it helps.

Loading editor
    • HumansCanWinElves wrote:

Probably no one can really give such an answer.

Well, no one on these boards that isn't FANDOM staff.

Loading editor
    • try getting the latest version of chrome and firefox you can get (I don't know if firefox ESR would be more up to date then stable), and see if that works.

Loading editor
    • UCP absolutely sucks, I'm struggling with it too :C 

Loading editor
    • There is a lot of code that goes into making the system work. I doubt even Fandom staff could give you an exact browser version number. All they can do is investigate reported issues and fix them if the issue impacts browsers that are "recent enough" in their opinion. In some cases, these fixes may also work for older browsers but in other cases they may not.

Firefox 52 came out between Edge 14 and Edge 15. I don't have those versions of Edge but I do have the latest version of the legacy Edge (i.e. before Microsoft changed it to use Chromium). UCP appears to work on legacy Edge so there is a chance that it might work with Firefox 52. However, that browser is "old" by internet standards so, if it does work with the wiki, it may not for too much longer.

Loading editor
    • Why did they change it anyway? I saw no problem with the old system. Plus, I miss the messages icon (the one that looks like a letter envelope). Wiki fandom looks weird w/o it. And the way to upload pictures now is kinda weird, still haven't figured it out. I don't edit -as much- as you probably do but it still really irritates me that fandom would just go and screw up a system that worked fine before.

Like I always say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Loading editor
    • User blog:TimmyQuivy/On the Importance of Upgrading MediaWiki explains why, as for uploading images, there should be an option in the editor, or you can go to Special:Upload.

Loading editor
    • By modern internet standards, the old platform was broken. That is exactly why they made this new one.

Loading editor
    • We should definitely have a board intended for Q&A or rants about UCP...

Maybe on the Discussions, because creating a new category there is a lot easier than creating a new forum board here.

Loading editor
    • I am not sure why you say that. Creating a Forum board is actually quote easy. It asks for a name and a description while Discussions just asks for a name. A worthwhile additional cost given that a description is actually useful.

Loading editor
    • Oh, well then. I guess I just was never an admin on a wiki with Special:Forum (and unfortunately will never be one...)

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

By modern internet standards, the old platform was broken. That is exactly why they made this new one.

I dispute this, but the the real thing that is missing from this comment is who broke it. FANDOM.

Loading editor
    • I am not saying I like the modern internet standards (i.e. Google's whims). I am just saying that the old platform wasn't up to snuff with them.

Loading editor
    • Still doesn't change that FANDOM was responsible.

Loading editor
    • YeAHH....

I've been getting messages saying 'internal server error' sometimes when i go to one of my wikis (they're both relatively newly made wikis)

Loading editor
    • That sounds quite a bit off topic... are you sure you're in the right thread?

Loading editor
    • Oh prob not sorry lol 

Loading editor
    • OP here again, with a small update re the original topic...

Just in case there is actually another Vista user out there, who may or may not be able to confirm that they're having the same issues, two of the problems I listed have now magically fixed themselves: the Discord plugin and the Expand/Collapse buttons. Who knows, maybe the rest of them will sort themselves out too!

Loading editor
    • I hate the UCP update though all of you now know what is my role on UCP.

Loading editor
    • That is great they started working but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything more. Fandom is not intentionally making things compatible; it is just a coincidence.

Loading editor
    • Coincidence?

Loading editor
    • Meaning they changed something and it happened to fix the issue. That is different from Fandom seeing an issue and intentionally fixing it.

Loading editor
    • It also isn't clear any of these problems have anything to do with Vista.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.