FANDOM

• So now when adding a template in the Visual Editor, you have to manually add each parameter you want to use.  Which, for templates which utilized lots of parameters, is SUPER fun.  Please tell me there's a way around this nuisance?

Loading editor
    • I wasn't aware, but this is unfortunate. File a report about that: Special:Contact

Loading editor
    • When as the template created and/or the parameters added? It can take a few days for the parameters to show in the visual mode. If it has been longer then that, then contact staff as HumansCanWinElves suggested.

Loading editor
    • I justed tested it with the "Quote" template that comes with the wiki creation, and no predefined fields show up. It just let you type field names in.

Loading editor
    • Which quote template? Does it actually use wikitext parameters or does it use a Lua module? I tried inserting Template:About and it showed all the parameters just fine.

Loading editor
    • Look like my tests were corrupted (and also I didn't know that many predefined templates actually invoke modules).

@Thesot, would you want to specify which template exactly have you tried to add? Because it looks like basically the editor do recognize the parameters.

Loading editor
    • I think you guys are overthinking the issue I voiced.  When adding a template in visual editor, you have to manually click which parameters you want to add.  The old way, they were all there and you just tabbed to the ones you wanted to fill in.  You still can, but only after manually clicking on each parameter.

Loading editor
    • Screenshot 2020-10-18 103406
      Picture of what I mean.  As you can see, this template uses 79 different parameters.  Each of one of those has to be clicked, then you can type in what value you want for the parameter. 

When you click a parameter to add it, it scrolls back up.  My point is, it takes FOREVER to add such a template to a page.

Test it for yourself.  Make or use a template that has a bunch of parameters.  Add it to a page in visual editor.  It's absolutely terrible implementation.

Loading editor
    • Alright. It sounded to me like you have to manually type the names of the parameters, and because of my wrong checking I thought that's actually true. My apologizing...

Anyway, a lot of clicks needed is one of the issues I feel in UCP as well. You are welcome to send your feedback to Fandom staff via Special:Contact

Loading editor
    • Yeah. Apparently I misunderstood as well. I am testing something out but I will have to wait a few days to see if it had any effect. It has to do with a new feature they use with templates so I have no idea if it even does what I think it does.

Loading editor
    • I am curious about this... is it a JS code that needs review?

Loading editor
    • No. It is a new extension they have. But I just realized I added it wrong. I used the tool so maybe that is a big? I'll have to fix it and wait again.

Loading editor
    • Just an update, I've reported the issue to Fandom.  Kirkburn agrees that it's poor functionality and that it's likely to change in the future.

Loading editor
    • Also, it's not fully related but I saw that a feature named Template-Metadata were added, and one of it's functionalities is to allow listing the suggested parameters of a template, and to provide information about their default values.

Loading editor
    • Thesot, thanks for the update.

HumansCanWinElves, that is what I was trying to test. I was wondering if maybe the editor was using that data to determine which fields to show.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.