FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    New thread time
    14:42, October 16, 2020

Happy Friday, gang!

We have a lot to cover, so let's get into it.

User Talk Page Notifications

These now work on the UCP!

Keyboard Shortcuts

All the old Fandom keyboard shortcuts are now functioning properly on the UCP

Special:Community

Special:Community has been ported to the UCP with a very nice update that allows us to better surface Wiki Managers to each assigned community.

Article Comment Protection

UCP wikis can now have a special level of protection turned on that prevents non-email confirmed and non-autoconfirmed users from engaging in Article Comments, separate from those users being prevented from editing.

Editing deleted or locked Discussions

Mods and up can now make edits to deleted or locked Discussions posts without having to first undelete or unlock them.

Create New Page in your preferred editor

Create New Page now respects your editor preference.

Blocked user data fix

Special:BlockList is no longer incorrectly missing users blocked before 2018

Other notes

• Forums migration has nearly completed. The final non-staff wiki to migrate will be Tardis, which migrated incorrectly earlier and had to be rolled back. Community Central wikis will be moving to Discussions later this month.
    • Gamepedia migrations are going very well and should be complete except for a few one-offs next week.
    • LinkSuggest is still undergoing QA. The feature is not quite behaving as it should in some of our test cases.
    • The bug fix for editor preferences being mismatched between Legacy and UCP is currently undergoing QA.
      Loading editor
    • Awesome stuff!

Loading editor
    • Will there be any changes due to Forums migration, because the wiki text needed for many technical reasons won't be supported?

Loading editor
    • Gurte wrote:
      Will there be any changes due to Forums migration, because the wiki text needed for many technical reasons won't be supported?

We'll be enabling DPLForums here in parallel for wiki-text related assistance.

Loading editor
    • When will you update Fandom App for mobile devices? I wish there were new Message Walls and Comments (since they are built on the same platform as Discussions).

Loading editor
    • Gurte wrote:
      When will you update Fandom App for mobile devices? I wish there were new Message Walls and Comments (since they are built on the same platform as Discussions).

I don't have much involvement with the Fandom app development, as that's a different project, but I'll pass along this desire.

Loading editor
    • When will Discussions be updated? I wish there were new features like citing.

Loading editor
    • Where did notifications in the bottom of the page go?

Loading editor
    • Gurte wrote: When will Discussions be updated? I wish there were new features like citing.

We use @s for those. It doesn't include the message, but at least notifies the user you're replying to them.

Loading editor
    • I don't remember what the latest thread on 'wrong images' is, so just quickly... how are things looking on the 'wrong images' (thumbnails) front for e.g. the Explore section?

As funny as these posts can be sometimes (a small sampling), it does get a little old to have to explain there's known issues with some of the modules and we're awaiting a fix :D

Loading editor
    • It’s great to see that the community page was added!

Loading editor
    • Is there going to be a dark-themed Discussions anytime soon? :thonking:

Loading editor
    • AimeePlaysMSM wrote:
      I don't remember what the latest thread on 'wrong images' is, so just quickly... how are things looking on the 'wrong images' (thumbnails) front for e.g. the Explore section?

As funny as these posts can be sometimes (a small sampling), it does get a little old to have to explain there's known issues with some of the modules and we're awaiting a fix :D

It's been a weird issue that we've fixed and then had break again a few times. We're still working on a more durable fix.

Loading editor
    • This is the big one I'm waiting for:

The bug fix for editor preferences being mismatched between Legacy and UCP is currently undergoing QA.

Otherwise another nice set of fixes.

The migration to UCP has been a little rocky, but not horrible.

Loading editor
    • This is amazing news. But there are still some issues. Such as not being able to switch to the 2010 source editor on UCP without switching to Visual Editor on legacy. And the issue with not being able to view the deleted text of pages that Administrators can't undelete.

Loading editor
    • That first issue is mentioned in post #1:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:
      • The bug fix for editor preferences being mismatched between Legacy and UCP is currently undergoing QA.
        Loading editor
    • So, I am not going to mention which wiki publicly but I recently visited a UCP wiki and when I viewed the log page, it showed me the tag editing interface. I have no special permissions on that wiki. I checked on a few other UCP wikis and none of them gave me the interface so it appears to be unique to that wiki. Is this a bug or is this interface something wikis can make available to all users if they want. It seems like the former to me as allowing everyone to edit log entry tags could result in some real chaos.

Loading editor
    • That's all very interesting, but will image sharing be added to the UCP soon?

Loading editor
    • Tardis, the final non staff wiki, next one is staff

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

I don't have much involvement with the Fandom app development, as that's a different project, but I'll pass along this desire.

This might be a silly question, but is the Fandom app supposed to work with UGC wikis? For the Rec Room wiki, all category links are broken and give the error message "Uh oh. Something went wrong. Please try again.".

Loading editor
    • Awesome stuff!

Loading editor
    • awesome stuff, can my wiki join to the UCP too?

Loading editor
    • Everyone will get ported, eventually.

Loading editor
    • It'll join soon

Loading editor
    • Is anyone else seeing the Source/Visual editor inside the search results sometimes?

Example image of the source editor dropdown clipping inside search results

Like this

Loading editor
    • No. It doesn't allow me to search when I am editing.

Loading editor
    • Everything seems fine to me.
      Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 10.40.35 AM
        Loading editor
    • Please add pagination to Discussions. The lack of it is a major annoyance to say the least and adding it would greatly improve user experience.

Loading editor
    • Will fan wiki have logo based on the logopedia logo from 2018 - today ? Logopedia logo 2018

Loading editor
    • HopelessNightOwl wrote:
      Please add pagination to Discussions. The lack of it is a major annoyance to say the least and adding it would greatly improve user experience.

Can you describe what you mean by "pagination"? I'm not sure what it means.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

HopelessNightOwl wrote:
      Please add pagination to Discussions. The lack of it is a major annoyance to say the least and adding it would greatly improve user experience.

I have to guess it’s like how on pre-UCP message walls, it has a navigational system that divides a selection of messages into pages.

Loading editor
    • so i have been reading up on this whole migration thing but it's not quite clear. i have a page using a script that has stopped working. will this need recoded, or is there still more changes in progress that may re-enable this? the page in question:

https://idle-champions.fandom.com/wiki/Event_Token_Calculator

Loading editor
    • Nilraat wrote: That's all very interesting, but will image sharing be added to the UCP soon?

I thought it already was.

QuickMythril, it is possible the script may need to be recoded. If you haven't already done so, you can start a new thread about your script either here on Community Central or on the dev wiki.

Loading editor
    • On UCP wikis, is there a way that admins can modify the box that says "Sysop" next to an admin's username? Because not everyone may understand what "sysop" means, and "Admin" or "Administrator" also sounds better than "sysop."

Loading editor
    • Arthur Read fan wrote:
      On UCP wikis, is there a way that admins can modify the box that says "Sysop" next to an admin's username? Because not everyone may understand what "sysop" means, and "Admin" or "Administrator" also sounds better than "sysop."

Not without an addon like ProfileTags... I believe the relevant system messages are still not whitelisted.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

Nilraat wrote: That's all very interesting, but will image sharing be added to the UCP soon?

I thought it already was.
      QuickMythril, it is possible the script may need to be recoded. If you haven't already done so, you can start a new thread about your script either here on Community Central or on the dev wiki.

Huh. I need to catch up on UCP news.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Arthur Read fan wrote:
      On UCP wikis, is there a way that admins can modify the box that says "Sysop" next to an admin's username? Because not everyone may understand what "sysop" means, and "Admin" or "Administrator" also sounds better than "sysop."

Not without an addon like ProfileTags... I believe the relevant system messages are still not whitelisted.

You could have staff (or a WM if you have WM) edit the message for you, or have staff change the usertag message in UCP's codebase.

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp wrote:
      Fandyllic wrote:
      Arthur Read fan wrote:

You could have staff (or a WM if you have WM) edit the message for you, or have staff change the usertag message in UCP's codebase.

Sounds extremely inefficient.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

HopelessNightOwl wrote:

I mean to have tabulated "pages" of threads, with say 20 threads per page like in Special:Forum, rather than scrolling endlessly to find old threads.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Sophiedp wrote:
      Fandyllic wrote:
      Arthur Read fan wrote:

Sounds extremely inefficient.

Better than not having any way to change it.

Loading editor
    • i thought it said the profile tags thou-

Loading editor
    • ProfileTags does work on UCP, or you can get the tag's text edited by asking staff.

Loading editor
    • ok

Loading editor
    • Will new MediaWiki extensions be introduced to wikis (like Thanks or EmbedVideo) after the UCP full release?

Loading editor
    • ProfileTags has been updated to work on UCP. So you should be able to use it to change the tag texts and add custom tags.

Gurte, Fandom has said it will consider adding new extensions but only once migration and debugging of UCP is "complete". So that probably won't happen for a while.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      This is the big one I'm waiting for:
      The bug fix for editor preferences being mismatched between Legacy and UCP is currently undergoing QA.

Otherwise another nice set of fixes.

The migration to UCP has been a little rocky, but not horrible.

I'll highlight it tomorrow or Friday as well, but this fix got deployed yesterday.

Loading editor
    • I know it's not a priority (or maybe even in the works) but would really like the new image gallery to come back for UCP.

Loading editor
    • Virvar wrote: I know it's not a priority (or maybe even in the works) but would really like the new image gallery to come back for UCP.

It isn't comfortable for many users, including me, so I don't care much about this feature.

Loading editor
    • Gurte wrote:

Virvar wrote: I know it's not a priority (or maybe even in the works) but would really like the new image gallery to come back for UCP.

It isn't comfortable for many users, including me, so I don't care much about this feature.

It's a feature that can be switched on, so it isn't a bother to you if you don't like it.

Loading editor
    • Virvar wrote:

Gurte wrote:

Virvar wrote: I know it's not a priority (or maybe even in the works) but would really like the new image gallery to come back for UCP.

It's a feature that can be switched on, so it isn't a bother to you if you don't like it.

I was told it was unpopular with the majority of users, and that's why it was removed.

Loading editor
    • Told by whom?

Loading editor
    • And since when is "it was unpopular with the majority of users" something Fandom considers? :P

Loading editor
    • I don't think this has been mentioned yet. If it has, please forgive me for the repeat info. It seems that the OnSiteNotifications feature displays only the 10 most recent notifications. If you have an unread notification that is not in this group of 10, then it becomes inaccessible despite the counter still counting it.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: I don't think this has been mentioned yet. If it has, please forgive me for the repeat info. It seems that the OnSiteNotifications feature displays only the 10 most recent notifications. If you have an unread notification that is not in this group of 10, then it becomes inaccessible despite the counter still counting it.

Scrolling the notifications down makes more to appear (up to a limit which may be 10 days ago or a number about 100), yet I have 3 "unreaded" notifs which I can't find.

Loading editor
    • Really? I am using MS Edge (Chromium) on Windows 10 and no matter how much I scroll the list, it contains just 10 and doesn't lead anymore. I tried here and on the test UCP wiki.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: Really? I am using MS Edge (Chromium) on Windows 10 and no matter how much I scroll the list, it contains just 10 and doesn't lead anymore. I tried here and on the test UCP wiki.

I'm currently on a phone and the touch-scrolling gives that.

Loading editor
    • Sounds like something that should be moved to a separate thread, unless FANDOM staff gives input soon.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      I don't think this has been mentioned yet. If it has, please forgive me for the repeat info. It seems that the OnSiteNotifications feature displays only the 10 most recent notifications. If you have an unread notification that is not in this group of 10, then it becomes inaccessible despite the counter still counting it.

Go ahead and contact Fandom Staff for that one.

Loading editor
    • I went ahead and submitted a ticket. In response to HumansCanWinElves's comment, I tried on my phone and it behaved the same way. Although, now it loads 11 notifications instead of 10 (on both laptop and mobile). I tried with both Samsung Internet and Google Chrome.

Loading editor
    • I got my search bar back! Yay!

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.