FANDOM

• Is there a way to permanently delete them?

Loading editor
    • You can ask staff but I don't think so. Regular users can't see them so the only users potentially impacted by this would be admins and moderators. I know Discussions has a "hide deleted" option but I don't know if article comments has such an option.

Loading editor
    • No perma del, no general or personal option for hide... This is a poor system. And seems they're built in a way to avoid being tagged by normal CSS. Fortunately with the Chrome extension uBlock Origin I can hide them with this line:

fandom.com###articleComments div[class^="Comment_wrapper"]:has(div[title="Deleted"])

Loading editor
    • Can you link to an example I can experiment with? I have difficulty believing it can't be hidden with CSS.

Loading editor
    • The line I posted uses the :has() selector, which is not supported in any browser as a CSS rule. For example, you cannot hide divs containing elements with class="deleted" by using:

div:has(.deleted) { display:none }

But you can hide those divs through the extesion I told, because it uses javascript to identify those divs and add an attibute on them when the page is loaded, and that attribute is set with display: none !important. And all you have to do is to add the line with the wanted selector to your personal filter list.

The article I linked says it was not implemented on browser because of performance issues. But I have dozens and dozens of lines in my list using the following selectors:

• :has() (for htlm tags, ids and classes)
      • :has-text() (for text inside containers)
      • :nth-ancestor() (for parent containers)

And I don't feel it slowing down my browsing at all.

Loading editor
    • would
      $('#articleComments div[class^="Comment_wrapper"]:has(div[title="Deleted"])').hide();
      work?
        Loading editor
    • This also worked!

Loading editor
    • What's happening?

Loading editor
    • Comments that have been deleted are still visible to admins/mods. They are looking for a way to hide them. It was not clearly explained in this thread but after looking at their solutions I now understand why you can't use CSS to do it. The difference between a deleted and a regular comment is in the comment's descendants. CSS does not allow you to target elements base don their descendants so you cannot use CSS to handle this situation.

Loading editor
    • Exactly!

Loading editor
    • I don't think so, everything on fandom that's been deleted can be accessed by admins. Unless the Wiki is closed.

Loading editor
    • Accessed is one thing, showing it in your face is another thing.

I find that very concerning. Deleted comments may contain hurtful or suggestive text.

Loading editor
    • Wait... Deleted comments and their content remain visible on the Social Recent Activity tab!? Even for non logged users?

Also "A Fandom user" in the comment is a self link to the comment you're viewing, when you already have an option to "Copy link" on the drop down menu?

And then the anon icon links to "User:0987098.." that is an Error page?

And if you try "Special:Contributions/0987098.." on URL nothing shows up.

You finally go to "Special:UserProfileActivity/.." and bump into "Fatal exception of type NotFoundException".

At first I was not pleased by the design, but now I see the entire feature is absolutely trashy. What a downgrade from the legacy comments.

Disappointment immeasurable day ruined
      UCP
        Loading editor
    • For me, I managed to reach the anon's contributions page by clicking the anon icon and then altering the URL changing User: to Special:Contributions/. But they don't have a Special:UserProfileActivity/ page even though their activity is logged on Recent Changes - Social Activity.

Loading editor
    • You're right. Special:Contributions work for them. Just the new comments that do not appear there, as the old comment used to do.

And we won't have a "deleted user contributions log" for them if their new comments get deleted.

Loading editor
    • Where did someone say that deleted threads are still visible in the logs?

Loading editor
    • I'm not sure if I understood your question, but the legacy comments were considered regular contributions, and if deleted, they wen't all to a page called Special:DeletedContributions that can only be accessed by admins. Like that, if I delete a comment and I suspect it comes from the same IP I've deleted comments before, I could check their "deleted contributions". Based on that I could take an action or not. Now I'm blind in this regard.

Loading editor
    • Nice meme.

Loading editor
    • SapadorCastelo, I was confused because your prior post said this.

Wait... Deleted comments and their content remain visible on the Social Recent Activity tab!? Even for non logged users?

I understand that on legacy admins can see deleted contributions but it isn't clear to me that this means admins can see deleted posts in the logs on UCP.

Loading editor
    • Oh! Ok! Now I understand your question. Let me try to explain. On legacy, the behavior was on point:

Wanted behavior

1. If I'm admin/mod and I see an offensive comment, I wanted it to be removed ASAP from the view of all regular users, and that these posts to not disturb the common browsing for all admins while they're not actively and purposely looking for already deleted material. Legacy wikis delivered that.
      2. I also would like the deleted posts to generate a cumulative log in a separate special page, where admins could access the deleted posts/contributions from a chosen user, when AND ONLY WHEN they're purposely looking for these logs. Legacy wikis delivered that.

Unwanted behavior

1. The regular comments' section IS NO place for these logs to remain for eternity. This is what the shity UCP delivers.
      2. Regular Recent Changes/Recent social activity IS NO place for the deleted comments to "create" a cumulative log, because this specific page isn't cumulative.

Someone could bring the Wikia team back! I wasn't even here at that time, but the things they had built, and that I've experienced, used to make a lot more sense. ~ ignore ranting ~

Loading editor
    • Okay. I think I understand now. Special:SolcialActivity is supposed to be analogous to Special:RecentChanges. Special:RecentChanges keeps a log of events, even deletions, for a limited about of time. You can't look back 4 years. Special:Contributions, on the other hand, is viewed separately for each user and does not list deleted content. The analogous feature is Special:UserProfileActivity. Do deleted comments/threads show on Special:UserProfileActivity?

Loading editor
    • As I said, anons do not have this page. You get a fatal exception.

For registered users, that do have the page, I can't verify what is the current behavior because the comments tab is bugged for me. When going to Special:UserProfileActivity/USERNAME?tab=comments, the content does not load, and the loading icon shows forever.

IGNORE RANTING SECTION ~ I hate everything about this new comment feature. It's like they've destroyed this alternative of communicating on the wiki, to force people to use Discussions. The same thing they're doing with the Souce Editor, making it buggy and trashy, to force the use of Visual Editors.

Loading editor
    • Can you simplify that please?

Loading editor
    • Oh yeah. I forgot about the anon issue. With regards to registered users, do you have problems with the comments tab on the Wreck-It Woodhouse Wiki? The tab works for me there.

Loading editor
    • I've done tests on Chrome last version, all extensions disabled, not logged, for both wikis, and on the wreckit wiki I have no problem with the user comments tab. But on kingdomthegame wiki it loads for eternity (the blue rotating semicircle). Maybe our old comments weren't well ported to the new platform? Because this wreckit wiki was created already on UCP, so it does not have old comments ported. I could do tests on other wikis, but I do not know old wikis, that are already on UCP, and that have article comments enabled (Preferably wikis whose admins do not create announcements every single day, but this is another subject...).

Loading editor
    • I think the test you made is enough for contacting Fandom staff.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: SapadorCastelo, I was confused because your prior post said this.

Wait... Deleted comments and their content remain visible on the Social Recent Activity tab!? Even for non logged users?

I understand that on legacy admins can see deleted contributions but it isn't clear to me that this means admins can see deleted posts in the logs on UCP.

Here is a deleted comment that you can see having been made even when you're logged out. If it was short enough to fit on a line, you could see all of its content. What you won't see is that I deleted that comment. And if you did, it would probably be even worse, as it happened with a single click action, using the default summary of repeating the first line of the content, which I would never do in such a case. Although maybe it's possible that there was a summary prompt and I just missed it? No hijacking of the thread intended.

Loading editor
    • Done.

Loading editor
    • Great. So there is yet another conversion-only bug.

Drake178, thanks for the example. Given that Social Activity is supposed to be similar to Recent Changes, I still think it makes sense to show the deletions. But I do think that they should be marked as deletions. As you pointed out, the deletion looks just like a new post or an edit.

Loading editor
    • Does anyone know a way to implement this on the wiki JS?

$('#articleComments div[class^="Comment_wrapper"]:has(div[title="Deleted"])').hide();
      $('#MessageWall div[class^="Message__wrapper"]:has(div[title="Deleted"])').hide();

It seems to use JQuery, which need a 'require' tag.

Also, where on Dev wiki we do these types of requests?

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • Throwback Monday

UCP deleted comments

Monday, 11 November, 2019 (11 months ago)

Link, if staff would like to check them out.

Loading editor
    • You shouldn't need to use require in order to use jQuery.

Loading editor
    • Also, as an admin on 3 UCP Wikis,I came to know that ONLY admins can delete their messages, or even edit them whenever they want. It's sometimes like when all the members have to be admins of the particular Wiki to have access to these stuff like editing messages.Sometimes, even admins can delete OTHER'S messages.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: You shouldn't need to use require in order to use jQuery.

It worked on my personal JS but not on a "MediaWiki:Test.js" I used on "test mode". Are those JS tests still disabled on UCP? Also, it only worked when I added the lines about the time to load suggested by KockaAdmiralac:

var interval = setInterval(function() {
          if ($('#articleComments div[class^="CommentCounter_comment-counter"]').length) {
              clearInterval(interval);
              $('#MessageWall div[class^="Message__wrapper"]:has(div[title="Deleted"])').hide();
          }
      }, 100);

I've also sent a request to staff for a solution site wide, and got this answer from Kirkburn:

To be frank, we agree - making it possible to hide, or even permanently remove, deleted content from there is on our list.

I believe the likely solution will be something similar to that already seen in Discussions, adding a toggle to show or hide deleted posts (especially given that solution already exists).

Hopefully it will be something we can work on soon!

Loading editor
    • Little Miss Livie, the time limit on editing was intentional. As for deleting, I believe MisterWoodhouse said (in one of the technical update threads) that users should be able to delete posts/threads from their own message walls.

SapadorCastelo, what KoackaAdmiralac suggested makes sense. The comments are probably loaded in after the rest of the page so you can't guarantee that the JS runs after the comments are loaded unless you use something like that. As for why that isn't necessary for your personal JS, I am not sure. If I had to guess, either it was a coincidence or something relating to when personal JS gets loaded. As for the staff reply, that is good to hear but pretty much what I expected.

Loading editor
    • No, no, no. It only worked on my personal WITH the additional lines to delay it running. On this page after clicking "Enter Test Mode", it didn't work at all.

EDIT: I was doing thing all wrong there. Wiki manager helped me. I forgot to import it on MediaWiki:ImportJS. I thought the "test mode" would do the move all together. My bad.

Loading editor
    • I see. Thanks for the clarification and I am glad you got it working.

Loading editor
    • SapadorCastelo wrote:
      Throwback Monday
      UCP deleted comments

Monday, 11 November, 2019 (11 months ago)

Link, if staff would like to check them out.

No offense, but why are there offensive, obscene and inappropriate names in those comments?

Loading editor
    • Those are comments which were deleted because of the inappropriate contents, and the picture demonstrates how admins and thread moderators are forced to see the messages even after deleting them.

Loading editor
    • But they aren't supposed to be posted here! They can be posted somewhere else!

Loading editor
    • I think this is the most reasonable place, as those are the support forums and that's the topic of this thread.

Loading editor
    • ok

Loading editor
    • Follow up on the temporary script implementation.

Loading editor
    • Hello,

I was redirected to this thread from this one I did. On one of my wikis (one I founded), a user was so kind to message me a massive picture of what appear to be their genitals, and deleting the message just greys it out. I can't even delete the image, because UCP doesn't see images added through messages (they don't even appear on the upload log), so now I'm stuck seeing this image every time I go to my message wall. Is there a way we can get FANDOM Staff on this so we can ACTUALLY delete messages again?

Thanks.

Loading editor
    • You would have to submit a request.

Loading editor
    • Putting it here too as it's an important realization - admins and thread mods can edit messages (supposedly even without undeleting them) and clean up any harmful contents.

Loading editor
    • How did I miss that?

Loading editor
    • Some of the Discussions functionality was added or changed recently, and Help pages are no help, so missing things is going to happen.

Loading editor
    • SapadorCastelo wrote:
      No perma del, no general or personal option for hide... This is a poor system. And seems they're built in a way to avoid being tagged by normal CSS. Fortunately with the Chrome extension uBlock Origin I can hide them with this line:
      fandom.com###articleComments div[class^="Comment_wrapper"]:has(div[title="Deleted"])

I'm sorry for not very smart question. So, this code in MediaWiki:Wikia.css provides disabling comments on a specific article, right?

Loading editor
    • No problem Egor. No, this code does nothing if you place it on MediaWiki pages. It's specific for the extension mentioned. And it does not disable comments on an article. It hides deleted comments from admins. To disable comments on articles you already have the check box "Commenting" when editing the article. Unchecking that box will disable the comments for that article.

Loading editor
    • A huge thank to you! Also, if "commenting" flag will be disabled, does it means that the existed comments will be hidden, or they will stay?

Loading editor
    • I believe it means they will be hidden.

Loading editor
    • Existing comments remain visible, but the box you'd normally use to type in a new one instead shows the text "Commenting is turned off for this article." and can't be clicked into. At least that seems to be the default behavior.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for the check. Apparently it is different from the legacy version for blogs.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.