FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    New thread time
    13:07, October 9, 2020

Hey gang!

We've got some exciting updates to highlight today, so let's dive right in.

2010 Editor

As you should be aware, the 2010 Editor (as seen on Gamepedia as the Source Editor) is now live on the UCP. The preference is called Source Editor, while the Source Mode of the 2017 Editor has been moved to Visual Editor - Source Mode.

We already released a fix for buttons appearing invisible on some lighter themed wikis.

Per Page Article Comments Toggle

This is a net-new feature we've added as part of the UCP work, thanks to a user request: You can now disable article comments on a per page basis. In the Editor, the Commenting checkbox controls whether or not article comments are enabled on that particular page. Uncheck it to disable them.

Protection Revocation Bug

We fixed an odd bug that was causing any edit on a protected page from an authorized usergroup to remove the page protections.

PortableInfobox Bug Fix

We corrected a bug that was causing some pages with PortableInfoboxes to not load.

Upcoming

• The remaining Global Shortcuts will be in the next release. They just missed getting staged for today's release, so they should come out on Tuesday.
    • Special:Community is in QA now and should release to the UCP soon.
      Loading editor
    • Great update! Definitely looking forward to S:Community.

Is there any update or known plan for Message Wall Greetings, and automated welcome messages?

Loading editor
    • This doesn't require a staff reply. I just don't know the answer since I am not admin on a UCP wiki yet.

I know that DPLforum and article talk pages can be enabled along side the Feeds-based counter parts. What about the talk pages for users pages and user blog pages? Also, can wikis disable any of the Feeds-based features?

Loading editor
    • The user talk page isn't accessible on a UCP wiki with MW enabled, and it's still a binary toggle on the admin dashboard.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      This doesn't require a staff reply. I just don't know the answer since I am not admin on a UCP wiki yet.

I know that DPLforum and article talk pages can be enabled along side the Feeds-based counter parts. What about the talk pages for users pages and user blog pages? Also, can wikis disable any of the Feeds-based features?

Profiles cannot have talk pages if Message Wall is enabled. Blogs can have talk pages in addition to comments.

Article Comments and Message Walls can be disabled by admins. Discussions cannot.

Loading editor
    • Will the comments toggle be only available to admins?

Loading editor
    • I would assume so as allowing anyone to just enable/disable at will defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.

Loading editor
    • Magma MK-II wrote:

Will the comments toggle be only available to admins?

It's definitely not available to unprivileged users, haven't had the opportunity to check content/thread mods yet. Admins definitely can.

Loading editor
    • Can confirm that it's only accessible to Admins. Content Mods don't even have access to the AdminDashboard, and while ThreadMods do, they don't have the option to toggle Walls and Comments.

Loading editor
    • Just checked. Thread Mods can toggle comments per-page (which is what I was talking about - not per-wiki), Content Mods cannot.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:
      You can now disable article comments on a per page basis.

Wooooo! I'm so happy to see this feature added!

MisterWoodhouse wrote:
      Andrewds1021 wrote:
      I know that DPLforum and article talk pages can be enabled along side the Feeds-based counter parts. What about the talk pages for users pages and user blog pages?
      Profiles cannot have talk pages if Message Wall is enabled.

I filed a bug report for this, because there's still supposed to be an archive of the talk pages, which admins (and content mods? I'm not sure) should still be able to edit.

Loading editor
    • Is there any quick way (like a list - for admins, anyway) to see which pages on a wiki have enabled/disabled comments, or does one always have to look for that on every page individually?

Loading editor
    • Sheyffer wrote:
      Is there any quick way (like a list - for admins, anyway) to see which pages on a wiki have enabled/disabled comments, or does one always have to look for that on every page individually?

I do not believe so. I'll raise this as a desired feature.

Loading editor
    • I am not sure if these have been addressed yet but they have been brought up already:

• Autocompletion for links, I heavily rely on this.
      • Gallery orientation issues, My Wiki heavily relies on them to work correctly.

Edit: On another but off topic note I have a ticket about 25 days old, with a gentle nudge bump from me 7 days ago that still hasn't been replied to. Am I being blatantly ignored or is this an oversight?

Loading editor
    • Did these templates show on legacy mobile view? Are you sure you are not using a template category that is intentionally hidden on mobile?

Loading editor
    • Hollowness
      Hollowness removed this reply because:
      Found out not fixed by UPC migration.
      22:04, September 25, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • Hollowness, there are multiple issues with your wiki's layout:

1. It is strongly discouraged to create entire articles by using a template. That's not what templates were designed for.
      2. Some of these pages are disambiguation pages. https://beauty-lifestyle.fandom.com/wiki/Urban_Decay:Hatter_Eyeshadow is one example. There's quite a lot of pages using your "Template:Reference Only Page" that should be disambiguation pages. If the purpose of a page is to disambiguate the subject to the reader and direct them somewhere, then it's a disambiguation page. That's their entire purpose.
      3. Templates that design sections of pages should be marked with the template type "Design", which does show on mobile, but keep in mind that CSS does not load on mobile. You set those two templates to Notice (which is not shown on mobile at all) and Quote (which gets a special design on mobile). The problem, though, is that the Quote template, "Talk Bubble", is correctly set as a Quote template, so you shouldn't change that one, but you shouldn't be using a Quote template as a base for another template. Even if you change Template:Reference Only Page to a Design template, its code references a Quote template, so it still won't show on mobile.

tl;dr Your wiki has template and design issues with your disambiguation pages that need to be resolved. These issues have nothing to do with UCP (it's not UPC, that's for product codes) and they will not be fixed by UCP since it's a core issue with your wiki's coding. All of this is also completely unrelated to this thread.

Loading editor
    • Not asking for wiki layout feedback.

Loading editor
    • I asked if UCP will translate templates better or worse than legacy THAT is related.

Loading editor
    • I answered your question:

they will not be fixed by UCP since it's a core issue with your wiki's coding
        Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote: I answered your question:

they will not be fixed by UCP since it's a core issue with your wiki's coding

I didn't say that you didn't, you accused me of my post being unrelated (thread/UPC) but if I was asking for that clarification that it is or isn't- is relevant (to thread/UCP) concern for an admin not yet transferred to UPC.

So please just drop it.

Loading editor
    • I don't know if this was intentional or not but it appears that the UCP and legacy editor preferences are linked.

Setting UCP Editor Legacy Editor
      VisualEditor (UCP/Legacy) 2017 Editor (visual) VisualEditor
      Classic rich-text editor (UCP/Legacy) 2017 Editor (visual) Classic Editor (visual)
      Source editor (UCP) 2010 Editor VisualEditor
      Source editor (Legacy) 2017 Editor (source) Classic Editor (source)
      VisualEditor - source mode (UCP) 2017 Editor (source) Classic Editor (source)

Some additional notes about 2010 Editor is that, when selected as the preferred editor, users can switch between it and 2017 Editor (visual). When switching from 2010 Editor to 2017 Editor (visual), the URL doesn't change at all. However, when switching from 2017 Editor (visual) to 2010 Editor, "veswitched=1&oldid=revid" where "revid" is the revision ID gets appended to the query string. Also, if you select the 2010 Editor but uncheck "Enable the editing toolbar", then you will get a layout effectively identical to the 2010 Editor but without the top toolbar. 2017 Editor (visual) will still have its toolbar if you switch to it.

Loading editor
    • I don't know if it was 100% intentional or not, but it seems like it, considering preferences are shared between the two platforms.

Loading editor
    • It would be nice if non-administrators could disable blog comments on their own blogs, instead of having to ask an administrator to do it for them. Because that's how things are on legacy.

As a non-admin, I wouldn't want to have to keep making requests to have comments disabled, and as an admin I would prefer not to have to be asked to disable comments for non-admins.

Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote: It would be nice if non-administrators could disable blog comments on their own blogs, instead of having to ask an administrator to do it for them. Because that's how things are on legacy.

As a non-admin, I wouldn't want to have to keep making requests to have comments disabled, and as an admin I would prefer not to have to be asked to disable comments for non-admins.

I wonder if thats possible, considering how disabling comments is set up (its not a flag so much as its a page protection setting)

Loading editor
    • Well I'm not necessarily saying that it has to be the same way as on legacy. I would just prefer it if it could be the same as on legacy.

Loading editor
    • Can you explain the reason why the Poll extension isn't on the UCP?

Loading editor
    • Wow. About the toggle the ability to make comments on a page, that feature generates a protection log. 

Loading editor
    • Well, that seems like a good thing. Then you can track which pages have it individually disabled by checking the protection log.

Sophiedp, my recollection is that UCP preferences influencing legacy preferences and vice versa was one of the first issues that had to be solved when UCP came out. Also, what if I want classic editor's source mode on legacy and 2010 editor on UCP? That can't be done so long as the preferences are linked.

Loading editor
    • This is a serious issue. I can understand a connection between the preferences but this specific connection doesn't make any sense. The 2010 editor is a source-only editor, but choosing it forces you to get the visual editor on legacy wikis.

Loading editor
    • It also changes your category layout preferences on legacy wikis as well, since "Category Exhibition" isn't available on UCP wikis.

Loading editor
    • it also changes your email settings, so check that too (it keeps thinking I want emails for threads)

Loading editor
    • The migrations will be on 28th

Loading editor
    • Tomorrow

Loading editor
    • "... We already released a fix for buttons appearing invisible on some lighter themed wikis. ..."  Just saw the Might & Magic pages went to the new server. At this time I am having trouble reading the text on a white background, and it doesn't show up at all on the (blue background) tables.  It isn't just buttons that were affected.

I was in the process of moving all my website's information to this wiki. I'll be reconsidering it now, since I don't see anyone really wanting to have to highlight entire pages in order to decipher them.

Loading editor
    • Pneumaticat wrote:
      "... We already released a fix for buttons appearing invisible on some lighter themed wikis. ..."  Just saw the Might & Magic pages went to the new server. At this time I am having trouble reading the text on a white background, and it doesn't show up at all on the (blue background) tables.  It isn't just buttons that were affected.

I was in the process of moving all my website's information to this wiki. I'll be reconsidering it now, since I don't see anyone really wanting to have to highlight entire pages in order to decipher them.

That's a customization issue, it seems.

I'll have a member of my team help you correct it.

Loading editor
    • HumansCanWinElves wrote: Apparently UCP 2010 editor also can't live with Legacy "Enable view source on threads" - they disable each other.

Now it's not funny anymore.

Loading editor
    • Some bugs report and other stuff that could be improved on the UCP:

• Top search bar is currently not working. It doesn't suggest any results when typing on it (UPDATE: It's working now).
      • "Popular Pages" rail module still displays many incorrect thumbnails.
      • Not receiving emails when pages on my "following/watch list" have been edited.
      • JavaScript enhancements not working (none) even if some of them have already been stated they should according to this table.
      • Small empty space at the top and bottom of the main area could be removed to improve the overall aspect of the site(s).
        Loading editor
    • I'd also like to add that in UCP, you don't seem to be able to view all your badges as there isn't a "next" button on the badge rail module.

Loading editor
    • Really annoys me how several whitelisted legacy system messages have been replaced by new system messages on UCP such as Recentchangestext, and the messages of the same equivalent have not yet been whitelisted.

This is exactly why they should review and whitelist every single new system message that gets added to the list of system messages unless there's an explicit reason as to why Administrators shouldn't be able to edit them.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Pneumaticat wrote:
      "... We already released a fix for buttons appearing invisible on some lighter themed wikis. ..."  Just saw the Might & Magic pages went to the new server. At this time I am having trouble reading the text on a white background, and it doesn't show up at all on the (blue background) tables.  It isn't just buttons that were affected.

Are you assigning staff members to help with custom CSS? That would be very helpful, as most custom CSS breaks after migration and the CC forums are full of help requests with it.

Loading editor
    • Two questions

A. where is the "recent activity" page goes?

B. How to add a video to the page ? , as for.....well , the old editer have a option to add video , that you just have to paste the video address (of youtube) , and ajust the size and prosetion , than hit sent , and the video is add to the page. And for the new editer I can't find where to do this.

THX

Loading editor
    • A. WikiActivity is no more. RecentChanges still exists, and has additional functionality.

Loading editor
    • HumansCanWinElves, it is so nice of your to limit your comment to CSS.

MHikari, UCP does not have an in-editor video importer. You will need to import the video before editing the page by going to Special:NewFiles and clicking "Add Video" at the top of the page.

Loading editor
    • Woodhouse did mention staff support for "serious CSS mangling", but no defintions of serious and mangling.

Loading editor
    • HumansCanWinElves wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Pneumaticat wrote:

Are you assigning staff members to help with custom CSS? That would be very helpful, as most custom CSS breaks after migration and the CC forums are full of help requests with it.

Yup. Have them contact Fandom Staff.

Loading editor
    • Will there be more updates after this? Because, right now, in the UCP, if you make a template and then write { { Template Page } } (with no spaces) , it doesn't show up.

Loading editor
    • Also you don't get message wall notifs anymore?

Loading editor
    • Templates are only a thing on MediaWiki wikitext and new Walls don't use that.

You don't get Message Wall notifications from Legacy as it uses the envelope, which is no longer relevant in UCP.

Loading editor
    • Another bug has been discovered with the Forum-Discussions conversion. See here for details. In short, some characters are not getting preserved. In this particular example, emojis are getting converted to question marks (literal question marks, not just a display error).

In the course of investigating that example, I have the following suggestions for Feeds. I don't know if they have already been mentioned.

1. Implement search by date range or some other means of allowing users to easily find older threads/replies. In order to find the problematic post, I had to scroll and "load more" way too many times.
      2. Have the old wiki pages redirect to the replies themselves rather than just the thread.
        Loading editor
    • Hi!

Have a few questions, apologies if they've been answered elsewhere:

• Will the new galleries be implemented in UCP as well?
      • Is there a fix coming for the repeat-image in Popular Pages?
      • Does Google Fonts import work in UCP? I'm having trouble getting it to work.

Thanks!

Loading editor
    • Bullet 2: it's ticketed, so they're working on it.

Loading editor
    • I would imagine Google Fonts still works but one issue some wikis might have is where the import is placed. A while back, Fandom changed how CSS was loaded on the legacy platform so that it didn't matter which CSS page you put the import on. However, that change was not carried over to UCP so which CSS page you use for the import once again matters. If the import is on Wikia.css, try moving it to the top of Common.css and see if that fixes the issue.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      I would imagine Google Fonts still works but one issue some wikis might have is where the import is placed. A while back, Fandom changed how CSS was loaded on the legacy platform so that it didn't matter which CSS page you put the import on. However, that change was not carried over to UCP so which CSS page you use for the import once again matters. If the import is on Wikia.css, try moving it to the top of Common.css and see if that fixes the issue.

🙏 thank you so much!!! It worked :)

Loading editor
    • I'm finding the Source editor to be incredibly wonky and hard to use. The Star Ocean wiki is where I do updates, and almost every 2 weeks I have to perform an update with new character releases. The easiest way is to copy and paste the code from the previous release and then change the info within.

With this update, it seems to be less precise. When I try to select some info, I can't tell if it's selecting the right spot or not. The selection kind of floats below what I want. It has considerably slowed down my work flow.

Otherwise, the update seems fine. It's just very, very awkward from an "Edit Source"
      EditSource
      perspective.
        Loading editor
    • You can try it with the syntax highlighting switched off in your Preferences.

Loading editor
    • It's not the point. It's the insert point misplaced.

Loading editor
    • The fact that some content is hidden under the bottom edit bar could be part of it as well.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse, here is something else that seems like a bug. Please let me know if it isn't.

While visiting the Prodigy Math Game Wiki, I noticed that site CSS/JS is still loaded/executed even when on pages like api.php. I checked on legacy wikis just to be sure and indeed site CSS/JS is not loaded/executed for that page on the legacy platform. It seems like a bug as most wiki CSS/JS is likely to have nothing to do with pages like this.

What tipped me off in this case was that the wiki uses a custom cursor image and some new "InPageEdit" script which are both rather intrusive and clearly visible when using api.php. I was able to disable them using safemode but then the api didn't like the "unrecognized parameter".

Also, will the usesitecss and similar parameters be added back to the platform? I find that being able to toggle the different types of CSS/JS individually can be really helpful when diagnosing an issue on a wiki. To that end, I would also recommend adding a new parameter to toggle gadgets. At least on the legacy platform, gadgets appear to be immune to usesitejs.

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.