FANDOM


  • MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    New thread time
    18:31, September 24, 2020

    Happy Thursday, gang!

    Today is a big one, as we've released the final critical bug fix for the Pause Plan as well as the Social Activity Feed.

    Social Activity

    On Recent Changes, you'll see a tab structure now, allowing you to cycle between Wiki Activity, Social Activity, and Image Activity.

    Wiki Activity is normal Recent Changes, with wiki-focused activity. Note: It is not Special:WikiActivity from legacy.

    Social Activity is updates related to Message Wall and Article Comments (for now).

    Image Activity brings Special:NewFiles into the Recent Changes world, giving you another entry point for at-a-glance moderation for images.

    This is our first release of this feature. There are further enhancements already in development for upcoming release, but we want to build this with your feedback. Please let us know how you use it, how you'd like to use it, what you like, what you don't like, etc., all with an aim toward improving the feature!

    Lua Imports from Dev

    We have fixed a bug that was causing Lua imports from Dev to fail intermittently. This was one of the critical bugs mentioned in the UCP Migration Pause.

    TemplateData

    The TemplateData extension has been installed on the UCP.

    Article Thumbnails

    Imageserving will no longer pick the wrong thumbnails for articles. Transparency update: We've reopened this ticket, as the fix was not fully successful.

    Posts link

    The Posts link on user profiles will now correctly lead to the user's social contributions.


    Upcoming

    The 2010 Editor is very nearly done. Once it releases, we will be unpausing UCP Migrations, with the same batches notified before the pause resuming thereafter.

      Loading editor
    • Can’t wait for the 2010 editor!

        Loading editor
    • Not sure if calling it WikiActivity is a good idea. There are plenty of people already who think RC is the replacement for WA, unaware it was there first.

        Loading editor
    • Feedback for Special:SocialActivity; cross-posting from the F/G server by request.

      1. The title should probably say "Social activity" instead of "Social Activity" (lowercase A) to be consistent with "Recent changes" and other pages, as well as because there is no reason for such capitalization.
      2. "Track the most recent changes to the wiki on this page." This is a copy of the RC message, and it doesn't really apply, the changes here are to the wiki's social features. Which aren't listed, so it's hard to say what specific features are included. A list of included features could help.
      3. There aren't any kind of filters to show specific types of events, hide bots, etc.
      4. There is no indication for what date ranges are included. There are also no controls for how many entries to show or how recent the entries should be.
        (I assume the above two are feature requests that may already be considered for implementation.)
      5. The icons next to the changes could use on-hover tooltips for desktop users to say what kind of event the icon corresponds to; I expected a tooltip to show based on my interactions with other desktop interfaces. It could improve desktop usability a bit and provide some guiding information. A legend like the list of abbreviations on RecentChanges could help. (In addition to the tooltips)
      6. Messages on a user's wall do not link the mention of the target user; might be useful to link it. In addition, could have an extra string to indicate that the user is performing an action on their own wall instead of writing the same username twice.
      7. The string for sending a message says the author "messaged %message on %user's wall". I think that's poor wording (like "messaged a message"; I believe the verb "message" takes the recipient as the object), though I'm not sure what's better. "Posted"?
      8. One of my major problems with the enhanced RC interface was the absence of a "hide older" button that allows to stop showing large numbers of reviewed and no longer needed changes (no longer needed for me). I solved this problem with a browser userscript (so that it works on Fandom/UCP, Gamepedia, Wikimedia projects, and maybe somewhere else), which was straightforward as the enhanced RC interface does allow to hide old changes if a URL parameter is specified. At the moment, the SocialActivity interface neither indicates that new entries are available (old RC downside) nor offers a quick link to hide old changes (which was the upside of the old RC interface for me). While the former requires JavaScript, the latter should be less heavyweight. (Though some JS wouldn't hurt? The tabbed interface may make people switch between tabs a lot in the belief it's a cheap/fast operation, while in reality it incurs a full-page reload, and the default enhanced RC uses some non-instant JS in addition to that.)
        Loading editor
    • Special:SocialActivity must contain Discussions as well, IMHO. This feature uses the same technology as Comments and Message Walls.

        Loading editor
    • I didn't even include Discussions changes in that wall of text above; I guess I assumed their absence is known, and they are a feature that is planned to be released later.

        Loading editor
    • You can use the dev scripts like DiscussionsRC and DiscussionsFeed for that, but I hope that gets included later. I'm happy we finally got this, though. It's a good start, with lots more potential.

        Loading editor
    • "TemplateData

      The TemplateData extension has been installed on the UCP."

      🙌🙌🙌

        Loading editor
    • AttemptToCallNil wrote:
      Feedback for Special:SocialActivity; cross-posting from the F/G server by request.
      1. The title should probably say "Social activity" instead of "Social Activity" (lowercase A) to be consistent with "Recent changes" and other pages, as well as because there is no reason for such capitalization.
      2. "Track the most recent changes to the wiki on this page." This is a copy of the RC message, and it doesn't really apply, the changes here are to the wiki's social features. Which aren't listed, so it's hard to say what specific features are included. A list of included features could help.
      3. There aren't any kind of filters to show specific types of events, hide bots, etc.
      4. There is no indication for what date ranges are included. There are also no controls for how many entries to show or how recent the entries should be.
        (I assume the above two are feature requests that may already be considered for implementation.)
      5. The icons next to the changes could use on-hover tooltips for desktop users to say what kind of event the icon corresponds to; I expected a tooltip to show based on my interactions with other desktop interfaces. It could improve desktop usability a bit and provide some guiding information. A legend like the list of abbreviations on RecentChanges could help. (In addition to the tooltips)
      6. Messages on a user's wall do not link the mention of the target user; might be useful to link it. In addition, could have an extra string to indicate that the user is performing an action on their own wall instead of writing the same username twice.
      7. The string for sending a message says the author "messaged %message on %user's wall". I think that's poor wording (like "messaged a message"; I believe the verb "message" takes the recipient as the object), though I'm not sure what's better. "Posted"?
      8. One of my major problems with the enhanced RC interface was the absence of a "hide older" button that allows to stop showing large numbers of reviewed and no longer needed changes (no longer needed for me). I solved this problem with a browser userscript (so that it works on Fandom/UCP, Gamepedia, Wikimedia projects, and maybe somewhere else), which was straightforward as the enhanced RC interface does allow to hide old changes if a URL parameter is specified. At the moment, the SocialActivity interface neither indicates that new entries are available (old RC downside) nor offers a quick link to hide old changes (which was the upside of the old RC interface for me). While the former requires JavaScript, the latter should be less heavyweight. (Though some JS wouldn't hurt? The tabbed interface may make people switch between tabs a lot in the belief it's a cheap/fast operation, while in reality it incurs a full-page reload, and the default enhanced RC uses some non-instant JS in addition to that.)

      To be clear, Social Activity Feed is a separate function from Recent Changes, but surfaced within the same parent page, so the Recent Changes features don't actually apply to it.

        Loading editor
    • Overall, this sounds like a good list of updates. Some of this has already been said but here is my feedback on Special:SocialActivity. It would be nice to have Discussions included. I know there is already a separate page for Discussions but it would be nice to have an RC-style log for Discussions as well. It also would be nice to have filters similar to RC.

      Just to make sure, did you notice the comments at the end of the last update thread regarding interwiki transclusion? It seems like a pretty significant bug.

      Is there any estimate of when things like Special:PermanentLink and Special:Diff will get fixed? Right now, they are still producing incorrect URLs and thus don't work.

        Loading editor
    • Social Activity without Discussions is mostly useless, especially if Message Wall and Article Comments are disabled... Calling Special:NewFiles "Image Activity" is somewhat misleading since it should include updates to images and changes to description pages.

      However, the other fixes are very nice.

        Loading editor
    • Feedback
      Hey, All the new updates sound good. I have alot of feed back on UCP.

      1. Discussions Filters.
        On my wiki, we have an enormous problem of nonsense comments. This problem as been suppressed mostly with the abuse filter. With the changing of article comments/message walls from a edit-based to a wholly new system causes the abuse filter to not be able to read the article comments. This will cause a huge work load on my staff team if our wiki is Updated, our team cannot monitor comments 24/7. Either integrating the abuse filter into discussions or adding a new extension to filter threads/posts/comments entirely to cover all of discussions will help us enormously and save countless ours of hunting through comments. This problem will be exponentially magnified on wikis with hundreds of comments/posts per day.
      2. Comments and article comments 2.0.
        While it is exciting about the new features, they have some issues. In legacy message walls, we can remove threads to "archive" them. Now, with new message walls, we cannot archive threads. It would be good if you added the option to remove threads as well as deleting/closing them.
        • Deleted posts are still visible.
          It would be good if you can add an option to hide deleted posts/comments like in normal discussions.
        • Permanent Deletion of threads.
          On legacy walls, we have a hack to permanently remove threads from walls. It would be good if you could make that a feature with discussions. It helps the moderator team move on from incidents and keep deleted things deleted.
      3. Special:EditCount
        On legacy, there is Special:EditCount. Are you go migrate it to UCP? If so, it would be good.
      4. Global edit count
        On legacy, there is a global edit count. It helps Our staff team deduce who is more veteran. It also helps user across FANDOM to see who is veteran and who is new. It also helps users count how many edits they made in their lifetime over the whole of FANDOM.
      5. Developer Tools
        As of right now, there is no official way for discussions scripts. As with Chat.js in Chat, Having a official support for discussions scripts will help discussions grow in a huge way. A more stable API would also help the development amazingly.
      6. HUGE Performance issues with new code editor.
        The new code editor starts to lag at only 10k characters and is unusable by 15k. For reference, Most modules and scripts are greater than 10k. I don't know why You are ditching ACE, as it is the best code editor around. Aside from the fact that it is slow, it is very buggy. Aside from that fact, ACE can handle hundreds of thousands of characters without a sweat.

      If you got to reading the whole post, Thanks alot! I really hope you take my feedback as it really addresses the remaining problems or wiki has facing our impending migration.

      Thanks,
        Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse,

      Okay. So my wiki was converted to Discussions about a week ago and after looking around a bit, I think there should be an option to sort by newest replies rather than just newest threads. Also, the current moderation tools are definitely lackluster.

      I have done nothing in my wiki's Discussions yet the insights page says I performed 3 moderation activities. What where those activities? How could I have done them if all I have done so far is look at old threads?


      Thundercraft5,

      I am a bit confused regarding your request for "permanent deletion". What would this accomplish that the current deletion doesn't? My understanding is the the current deletion is supposed to hide the threads from users so what is the point of going further than that?

      Forum and the old comment features had "permanent deletion" not as a feature but as an artifact of how the feature worked. The messages were stored on actual wiki pages and the threads were just a nice way to display them. As such, even if a thread was deleted (i.e. hidden from users), users could still search for the pages where the messages were stored and view them that way.

      Discussions and the new comment features work very differently. They do not use the wiki to store the messages but some database somewhere. Users cannot access this database so if a thread is hidden from users, there is no alternative means to see the content.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 Wrote:
      I am a bit confused regarding your request for "permanent deletion". What would this accomplish that the current deletion doesn't? My understanding is the the current deletion is supposed to hide the threads from users so what is the point of going further than that?
      Reply to #13

      If a user harass someone and gets blocked, users usually want to move on from the indecent and forget about it. It helps users forget about past troubles. This feature is more of a psychological thing.

        Loading editor
    • Thundercraft5, regular users (non-administrators or discussion moderators) can’t see the threads anyway, so it’s technically hidden from "their" view. If an administrator feels that the discussion post should be deleted, they can always reach out to a SOAP or Staff member for assistance.

        Loading editor
    • But they can't view the thread either way. What difference does it make for it to be "permanently deleted" as opposed to "permanently" hidden? Also keep in mind that even with the old features they were not really "permanently" deleted. Admins could always restore the message pages if they wanted to; just like how Discussion threads can be undeleted (i.e. unhidden).

        Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:

      Thundercraft5, regular users (non-administrators or discussion moderators) can’t see the threads anyway, so it’s technically hidden from "their" view. If an administrator feels that the discussion post should be deleted, they can always reach out to a SOAP or Staff member for assistance.

      Although I'm not as concerned, I understand Thundercraft5's sentiment. Lets say someone posts a bunch of super offensive images (that some how get past the filter) and they just want them truly deleted, so the admins and mods don't have to see them when they review the thread. Right now there's not much you can do except individual edit each reply and delete the offending image. It would be nice if you could just checkbox the replies and perma delete them.

      SOAP can be slow and unreliable depending on who is monitoring their site. I'm not saying really slow, but it can take hours occasionally and it is a pain to try to identify the offending replies, especially if they are scattered and by more than 1 user.

        Loading editor
    • Suggestion: add recent blog activity to Social Activity or create a separate tab for it.

        Loading editor
    • Will 2010 editor and visual editor will be available to anonymous users?

        Loading editor
    • 180.191.143.108 wrote: Will 2010 editor and visual editor will be available to anonymous users?

      There is no reason why not, as long as the wiki allows anonymous editing.

        Loading editor
    • I think it would be nice and polite to fix some of the other bugs of UCP before migrating more wikis and thereby disfiguring more wikis of communities who take pride in what they have achieved in the past. Just to name a few examples: broken wiki pages in the FANDOM app, disappearing images in infoboxes, broken list of new videos on main mobile page, etc. These are not just cosmetic problems (like the misaligned images in galleries on UCP) but bugs that stop readers from accessing content. I'm blocking users for vandalism/removing content when they do things like that intentionally - FANDOM going ahead and migrating more wikis to a buggy platform that prevents user access to content would be just as bad in my opinion.

        Loading editor
    • A big yes on this update. 

        Loading editor
    • 2 weeks left before the pause ends...

        Loading editor
    • Cetaverse is originally a long page, then now a short blank page

      Previously an HTML dump and not wikitext, now nothing but added content

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

      I think there should be an option to sort by newest replies rather than just newest threads.

      Sort by "Hot" instead of "New". Sorting by "Hot" will bring the Discussions posts with the most recent upvotes and replies to the top, rather than just the newest threads.

        Loading editor
    • Thundercraft5 also suggested hiding deleted replies for moderators like deleted threads are. Wouldn't that be just as effective?


      When you say "blog activity", do you mean blog comments or the blogs themselves?


      So that is what is meant by "Hot"? That wasn't clear to me at all. When I think of a "hot" topic, I think of just popularity/how much people like it; not whether or not it is an active discussion.


      Is there a way to mass close converted Forum threads?

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

      Is there a way to mass close converted Forum threads?

      No.

        Loading editor
    • Thank you so much for this!

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

      Thundercraft5 also suggested hiding deleted replies for moderators like deleted threads are. Wouldn't that be just as effective?

      Not really. Because generally you don't want to hide deletions when moderating and thinking about when you need to hide or not hide is quite a pain.

        Loading editor
    • So what you are saying is that there are some posts you want to hide from users but not from yourself and other posts that you want to hide from both users and yourself?

      SlyCooperFan1, I don't think "Hot" does what you think it does. Either that or it just isn't working properly. I have a message I posted on the 5th of this month and the top thread when I use "Hot" hasn't had any activity since May 2019.

        Loading editor
    • I think "Hot" has something to do with the most recent reply and the total number of replies, but the fact that we have to guess is kind of lame.

        Loading editor
    • There appears to be a problem in the recent changes page in the WreckItWoodhouse wiki. 
      Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 11.20.23 AM

      https://wreckit-woodhouse.fandom.com/wiki/Special:RecentChanges

      I don't see this problem in any other UCP wikis.
        Loading editor
    • The RecentChanges problem on wreckit-woodhouse should be fixed. (Not by me though.)

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: I think "Hot" has something to do with the most recent reply and the total number of replies, but the fact that we have to guess is kind of lame.

      I guess it's a secret algorithm, focused on pulling new users, and totally not useful for experienced users.

      The recent replies can now be accessed through the "Social Activity" tab of Recent Changes at least.

        Loading editor
    • How are wiki polls doing?

        Loading editor
    • Nilraat wrote:

      How are polls doing?

      Good question... I assume you mean wiki polls.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

      Nilraat wrote:

      How are polls doing?

      Good question... I assume you mean wiki polls.

      Polls can be made in Discussions so far.

        Loading editor
    • But not UCP wikis. That's why the question was asked.

        Loading editor
    • HumansCanWinElves wrote:

      Fandyllic wrote: I think "Hot" has something to do with the most recent reply and the total number of replies, but the fact that we have to guess is kind of lame.

      I guess it's a secret algorithm, focused on pulling new users, and totally not useful for experienced users.

      The recent replies can now be accessed through the "Social Activity" tab of Recent Changes at least.

      But Discussions isn't included on the page.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic
      Fandyllic removed this reply because:
      unnecessary
      19:39, September 21, 2020
      This reply has been removed
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.