FANDOM


  • hey im an admin of a wiki page and id like the horrible fan feed to be removed. is it possible to remove it? i tried pasting codes i saw online in the wikis CSS but nothing happened. 

      Loading editor
    • Removing it site-wide would violate customization policy, so you shouldn't add it to the wiki CSS. However, you can remove it for yourself through your personal CSS by adding following to it:
      .WikiaFooter {
        display: none;
      }
        Loading editor
    • CrazyForMyself wrote:
      Removing it site-wide would violate customization policy, so you shouldn't add it to the wiki CSS. However, you can remove it for yourself through your personal CSS by adding following to it:
      .WikiaFooter {
        display: none;
      }

      thank you!

        Loading editor
    • CrazyForMyself wrote:
      Removing it site-wide would violate customization policy, so you shouldn't add it to the wiki CSS. However, you can remove it for yourself through your personal CSS by adding following to it:
      .WikiaFooter {
        display: none;
      }

      although im not sure if "fan feed" removal  is considered ("Removal, changed placement or changed functionality of ads, spotlights, standard Fandom features")  a standard fandom feature, as its not mentioned in the explanation to this rule at all. its really less of a feature and more of an annoyance in the eyes of many.

        Loading editor
    • Anything outside the article content is considered a "standard Fandom feature" because it all contributes to the uniform layout across all wikis. "Outside the article" includes the right rail and the page header (where the page title and edit buttons are). There is precedence for Fandom to allow style changes and insertion of additional modules into the right rail. However, removal of right rail modules and changes to anything else outside the article content is prohibited unless otherwise stated. An example of "otherwise stated" would be changing the local navigation via ThemeDesigner and MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation. The penalty for violating the customization policy depends on the offense and the discretion of the staff member dealing with the offense.

      All that said, I don't think the CSS CrazyForMyself proposed will work on UCP wikis. Is your wiki a UCP wiki or a legacy wiki?

        Loading editor
    • No, it won't work on UCP. For UCP wikis use:

      #mixed-content-footer {
      	display: none;
      }

      Again: on your personal CSS; never wiki-wide.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Anything outside the article content is considered a "standard Fandom feature" because it all contributes to the uniform layout across all wikis. "Outside the article" includes the right rail and the page header (where the page title and edit buttons are). There is precedence for Fandom to allow style changes and insertion of additional modules into the right rail. However, removal of right rail modules and changes to anything else outside the article content is prohibited unless otherwise stated. An example of "otherwise stated" would be changing the local navigation via ThemeDesigner and MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation. The penalty for violating the customization policy depends on the offense and the discretion of the staff member dealing with the offense.

      All that said, I don't think the CSS CrazyForMyself proposed will work on UCP wikis. Is your wiki a UCP wiki or a legacy wiki?

      i dont know wich wiki it is but i created it very recently (past week or so). as i keep seeing wikis, and even big ones removing  the fan feed, i understand that even if it is not allowed, its surely isnt enforced or punished for. perhaps they know how hated the fan feed is.

        Loading editor
    • Could you provide some examples? I am not aware of any large wikis that have done so. If you created your wiki in the last week or so, the it is definitely a UCP wiki. UCP wikis have been in use for new wikis since March 11, 2020.

        Loading editor
    • This is the type of affair, Mogobe775, where the line of tolerance is established by Fandom and nobody else. We do repeat these advices because when and if they take an action against the breaker, we do not feel bad for not have been clear enough. I myself have passed through a not so pleasant situation in which part of the CSS I had added was /* commented-out */ by a Wiki Manager (Fandom staff). I tried to reduce the contrast of the wiki title on the header. I though, "wElL, iT's jUsT a tiiiny chAnge..." But nope. It was not allowed. I removed the code, and no longer touched the wiki title. On the other hand, I wanted to install a script to display a background on the morning, another on the afternoon, and a third during the night, and it was approved :) So, rules are clear, we're all (pretend-to-be) adults, we try and act on good faith, and most important: saying that there are dozens of wikis doing wrong won't save you if they choose you to enforce the policies.
      Thehell?
        Loading editor
    • SapadorCastelo wrote:
      This is the type of affair, Mogobe775, where the line of tolerance is established by Fandom and nobody else. We do repeat these advices because when and if they take an action against the breaker, we do not feel bad for not have been clear enough. I myself have passed through a not so pleasant situation in which part of the CSS I had added was /* commented-out */ by a Wiki Manager (Fandom staff). I tried to reduce the contrast of the wiki title on the header. I though, "wElL, iT's jUsT a tiiiny chAnge..." But nope. It was not allowed. I removed the code, and no longer touched the wiki title. On the other hand, I wanted to install a script to display a background on the morning, another on the afternoon, and a third during the night, and it was approved :) So, rules are clear, we're all (pretend-to-be) adults, we try and act on good faith, and most important: saying that there are dozens of wikis doing wrong won't save you if they choose you to enforce the policies.
      Thehell?

      you gave an example about changing the header, wich is clearly way more sensitive to them as they specified a special rule for that "Changes to the local navigation, page header and article header" even though they can fit in the "Removal, changed placement or changed functionality of ads, spotlights, standard Fandom features" rule. thus plus the fact that a lot of wikis remove the fan feed i think its not considered breaking the rules; and even if it is, its a minor offense that i, at least, dont see enforced.

      i disagree with you, because even if they will decide to enforce that, a rule that is not even clear, the punishment wont be hard or even be there at all. they might just send warnings to fix that. its not conveiable that theyll punish harshly so many wikis.

        Loading editor
    • Mogobe775
      Mogobe775 removed this reply because:
      duplication of comment
      11:06, September 17, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • The rule that say they have to enforce a rule evenly on all wikis is in your mind, and not in the Fandom policies. If they consider enough to take one wiki to serve as an example, and they find that the results of that action in the whole project is satisfactory, why would they spend more energy on that way?

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.