FANDOM

• So I am getting a bit frustrated at this as I've been trying to search and figure it out but how do I be able to search to multiple categories and such.

So to clearify what I mean, on the Villians Wiki, I need to search for villians with two categories instead of one as to minimize results. Well I cannot seem to find how I would do that. This is quite very important for data collecting. Example is, let's say I wanna search for pages that has both the Male and Monsters categories on it, I want a whole list of them. Sure it probably shows in the search results but it isn't actually that clear like the category list.

I am fairly new to fandom (Not a complete noob as I have created my own wiki on here before) but I basically just need some way to efficiency search for things like that and get interesting data without the are clutter up excess space and such.

Also, sorry if this may be in the wrong but usually General means about anything so I figure I just put it in here as better chance not to get yelled or anything like that. I never actually did anything like this on Fandom before, I just looked at info and such, never got engaged with the community as much as today. As in like communication and data and such.

Hopefully you don't mind reading all of this and to make sure to read carefully on parts you may be confused about, it is organized in paragraphs for easy reading as you might already know. If you happen to read all of this then I appreciate and and say "Thanks" to you for reading all of it.

I'll take any sort of method at all, anything at all. So got an idea, share it as I am a bit desperate now.

Loading editor
    • You can see the intersection of two categories with DPL.

Loading editor
    • I would just manually copy the lists of the two categories, put them together in Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel or any application that can sort lists, sort it, and take all the entries that appear twice.

Loading editor
    • Like to say that I need anything for searching more then one category on the Villains wiki on fandom, as that is one of the most popular wikis with over 40K pages.

HumansCanWinElves wrote:
      I would just manually copy the lists of the two categories, put them together in Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel or any application that can sort lists, sort it, and take all the entries that appear twice.

Not really a useful method as that will possibly be worse and not efficent. Have you seen how many pages the Villians Wiki has? Plus would of taken me ages just to finish as a category along probably has over 500 or so pages on it.

Tupka217 wrote:
      You can see the intersection of two categories with DPL.

I've heard of it once, after checking it out, I learned it was an extension. I never used it before so don't really know how it works or if the wiki even uses DPL, as it is usually disabled by default.

Loading editor
    • Well then, you are right, manual solutions are not relevant for such a big database. DPL queries are what you need.

Request this extension, it shouldn't be a problem. I can't give you the specific query syntax right now but someone will probably do it soon.

Loading editor
    • I'm not sure if they accept extension requests from non-admins.

Loading editor
    • Well, I am requesting it now. Then see what happens next.

Loading editor
    • Oh I didn't realize that you are not an admin. Maybe ask the admins to request it. It's quite reasonable for such a large wiki to have it.

Loading editor
    • Looking for pages based on multiple categories is an issue that I also have on one of my wikis, and I use the script CatNav for that. You could also use DPL¬† as mentioned before, or AWB with a lot of filters, but I've found the script on the Dev Wiki sufficient enough. In that case, it can also be used for personal use, it doesn't have to be imported as script for the entire wiki

Loading editor
    • In the good old days, the technically savvy would get Semantic MediaWiki installed, but we'll see if that lives on or if there is a viable alternative.

Loading editor
    • Fandom has already promised either a ported SMW or a viable alternative to wikis that already use it. However, I don't think they have said anything about making it available to wikis that don't already have it. That said, DPL fills most of the use cases for SMW's core functions as is arguably better at it.

Loading editor
    • HumansCanWinElves wrote:
      Oh I didn't realize that you are not an admin. Maybe ask the admins to request it. It's quite reasonable for such a large wiki to have it.

I know, right. It is, not really any point in looking on fandom unless it is only for details on a character. I was pretty much seeing if Fandom has a feature that was hidden in some way to do that or any 3rd party web applications that could do the job. I have already requested some sort of feature to one of the admins, luckily it looks like the admin actually responds back from previous messages.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.