FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    New thread time
    19:11, September 17, 2020

Happy Friday, Sailers! How is your Pause going? Need some weekend music?

Recently, we had some nice changes deployed which I think you'll like, so let's jump into them!

Bad Company (among reported posts)

There are new entry points to the Reported Queue now. The Admin Dashboard and bottom toolbar both have links to reach the queue. This will help mods+ to use the feature more often (or realize it exists for the first time). Thank you to Mira Laime for that joke. Go listen to Bad Company, the hit single on the record Bad Company, by the band Bad Company.

Time is on my side, yes it is (and on your tooltips)

Discussions and Message Walls now have actual date and timestamps on hover, rather than "3 days ago" as it stands now. Please go listen to some Rolling Stones this weekend.

The files are alright (and can be uploaded again)

The extension TimedMediaHandler has been installed on the UCP, resolving a number of file support issues, including the re-enabling of ogg file uploading. Cheap Trick is another band I recommend for this weekend.

Pre tags

Use of the pre element in CSS styling will no longer cause editor display issues. This is one of the major fixes mentioned in the migration pause mitigation plan.

Template Editing

Templates no longer open in visual editor if you have your editor preference set to source editor, as intended.

Source editor background

The source editor now has a solid background, reducing legibility issues on communities with "busy" custom backgrounds.

Get back to where you once belonged (on the mobile site)

If you're on a mobile device and use the link to view the desktop site, we give you a similar link to return to the mobile site, if you so choose. If you don't understand the reference in this section title, please spend your weekend listening to the entire Beatles catalog.

You're never alone (with image sharing)

EN wikis migrated to the UCP which share images from a non-EN wiki will now have those images display correctly. Again, Bad Company. Very underrated band with some absolutely incredible songs.

Highway (to deeplinking) Star

You can now copy a deeplink to any comment or comment reply on the UCP. Go listen to some songs from Deep Purple this weekend. See? There's the deep link to deeplinking. It was a very deep joke about deepness.

Band on the Run (with their mobile devices)

The issue that caused select pages to throw errors on mobile has been resolved. Wings is also a good band with some great songs, especially if you dig the Beatles.

Upcoming

Social Activity and 2010 Editor development are going well :)

Loading editor
    • Sailers? I take that as a personal offence. Just kidding.

Also I don't listen to much Rolling Stones. However I do like The Beatles and The Monkees. And I do like Paul McCartney and Wings. I only know one song by Deep Purple, but they are pretty good also.

Loading editor
    • There are new entry points to the Reported Queue now. The Admin Dashboard and bottom toolbar both have links to reach the queue.

When you say bottom toolbar, you're referring to Help:Toolbar, right? Because on UCP wikis I don't see any difference there, and searching for "reported" in the customize menu doesn't return anything, but the link to Admin Dashboard is still there as it always was.

The extension TimeMediaHandler has been installed on the UCP, enabling a number of file support issues

I think you mean "fixing a number of file support issues" 😛

I'm really glad to see all of these fixes, including the very much needed mobile fixes, and I hope wiki editors using source editor will find it much more usable now with the solid background. Thanks for the update!

Loading editor
    • It's there on the toolbar for me, Sly. Are you checking a wiki you're a mod+ on?

Yes, I corrected the typo.

Loading editor
    • Wait, does it only appear for users with local staff privileges? I assumed Wiki Managers and other global groups would also see that link, is that not the case?

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote: Wait, does it only appear for users with local staff privileges? I assumed Wiki Managers and other global groups would also see that link, is that not the case?

Might be that WM rights didn't get applied. I'll raise this. Staff have the right everywhere.

Loading editor
    • A bug I recently noticed is that when inserting images using UCP the source highlighting won't extend pass the first pipe, see [1] and then the first image for an example

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote: Wait, does it only appear for users with local staff privileges? I assumed Wiki Managers and other global groups would also see that link, is that not the case?

Administrators and Discussion Moderators have it locally. Fandom Staff, Fandom Helpers, Spam Obliteration and Prevention Members, and Global Discussion Moderators have it globally.

Strangely Wiki Managers weren't given it, despite the fact that they usually get whichever permissions Fandom Helpers get. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be an oversight, since Wiki Managers definitely should have the permission.

Loading editor
    • SOAP members don't have it either, actually. VSTF did, but ever since switching to SOAP, they don't seem to have that anymore.

Loading editor
    • GarfieldTC wrote: SOAP members don't have it either, actually. VSTF did, but ever since switching to SOAP, they don't seem to have that anymore.

I'm afraid that's incorrect. VSTF never had it. It was always SOAP that had it. The VSTF usergroup has pretty much no permissions left, and should have disappeared entirely, but they haven't removed all the references to that group.

Loading editor
    • Ah, was looking at the wrong source, lol.

Loading editor
    • Um, okaaaaayyyyyy... what’s going on?

Loading editor
    • Sophia0306 wrote: Um, okaaaaayyyyyy... what’s going on?

What do you mean? In this thread or in that specific exchange? The thread is just an regular update about how UCP development is going, while the exchange is about which specific usergroups have which userrights

Loading editor
    • Oh okay. I think that it doesn’t matter for me, but I hope we all get most equal features. ;)

Loading editor
    • I love all of these fixes. I've been affected by at least half of them. Cheers! <3

Loading editor
    • I don't appreciate the suggesting people listen to Cheap Trick after ripping off a song by The Who for a section title. Also Band on the Run is a Paul McCartney and Wings song, not the Beatles.

Other than that this is a nice set of changes and fixes.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: I don't appreciate the suggesting people listen to Cheap Trick after ripping off a song by The Who for a section title. Also Band on the Run is a Paul McCartney and Wings song, not the Beatles.

Other than that this is a nice set of changes and fixes.

I said it was Wings.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for the update!

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      Confusing/inaccurate message
      04:38, September 6, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
      04:37, September 6, 2020
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
    • entry points...Reported Queue

Just to confirm, if no posts have been reported on a wiki (especially a wiki that does not have Comments or Discussions enabled), are the error messages "Loading reported posts failed" and "REPORTED POSTS LOAD ERROR" expected responses? I assume they are, since the migrated wiki I admin has neither feature enabled, I just want to confirm these are the expected messages when 'Reported Queue' is clicked.

(Note: to be absolutely clear, I'm not saying I expected anything when I clicked on Reported Queue, given the migrated wiki does not have Comments / Discussions enabled! I suppose I'm just curious if these messages were written with these circumstances in mind.)

re-enabling of ogg file uploading

Ah, but the actual audio file player is still defunct, yes? To quote the user-compiled list of issues, "OGG-Vorbis audio files do not show audio player UI and just give a link" is similar to what is now occurring on the migrated wiki I admin (previously was just a link, now displaying a blank bar). I look forward to the actual player UI being functional again, since there is little good in uploading files to UCP wikis that cannot play them.

The source editor now has a solid background, reducing legibility issues on communities with "busy" custom backgrounds.

Hm, can you confirm if this change is meant to affect UCP and 'legacy' wikis or just, er, 'legacy' wikis? I've tested this on a 'legacy' wiki with a semi-transparent background and can confirm the source editor is solidly backed there, but on the one migrated wiki I admin, the source editor does not display a solid background; its background remains the custom 'parchment image' background set via CSS.

---

I must say the mobile editor updates/fixes are a tad bemusing in the wake of 'mobile preview' being removed from UCP Wikis. As someone who rarely operates a smartphone, I mostly relied on the mobile preview editor to attend to the mobile homepage et al. Admittedly I did not do this as often as I could, but the fact remains it was my primary means of attending to the mobile experience at all. I suppose if I am to maintain the mobile experience at all, I am expected to have regular access to a smartphone? That's unfortunate.

In the wake of UCP migrations being paused, MisterWoodhouse, I do want to say I'll be keeping an even closer eye on Technical Updates in the upcoming months, given that the most popular wiki I admin (504 articles and counting) was among those migrated last month. As I said on your blog post, I think pausing was the right move, and I look forward to seeing the current UCP experience stabilized and improved. The editing experience is extremely slow, which is why I hope the 2010 editor will provide a comparatively faster experience for the time being (and am glad to hear its development is coming along).

Thanks for the updates in these trying times.

(Recommending rock bands, are we? Then I'll nominate The Cranberries, if you please, and throw in some Alice in Chains and a pinch of R.E.M.)

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
    • I'll just comment that viewing the mobile skin of a page is possible on a computer, by adding ?useskin=mercury in the browser's address bar and resizing the window to fit the proportions of a mobile screen. Of course, an emulation is not exactly the same as the real thing, but that's true for the old preview too.

Loading editor
    • That sounds pretty hard.

Loading editor
    • you could also open the browser's dev tools and enable the mobile view option, which I've found usually works pretty well.

Loading editor
    • I would rather these updates were just about the product, not obfuscated to fit music references.

Loading editor
    • Well if these times are changing and we’re all moody, it’s best to do a music reference or pun on the subject at hand. I can bear-ily think of some ways to lighten up the mood except that!

Loading editor
    • Will mobile web will be expanded in the next update or Phase 2?

Loading editor
    • Go to https://wreckit-woodhouse.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_actress (if it exists already, change url to a new name, but stay in Template namespace)

Click "Create source" (default: source editor)

Notice the startup time. Choose type "Infobox" and click save:

• You're not in source mode now
      • Cancel is on the left (POLA)
      • If you click X ("cancel") you get a blank page
      • Click source editor
        • If you click save, it takes you through redirects, then finally you are in source mode and now have to delete a default template (is that configurable?)

Try 2, new template:

• Clicked save after choosing Infobox
      • Big white black screen of nothing (the iframe document has a blank body)

Try 3, clicked reload:

• Click source editor
      • Would you like to save? No, cause I don't want the standard template that I have to delete
      • Now it's not an infobox

My money is on the 2010 editor. Thank you working on that.

Loading editor
    • Lytora wrote: Notice the startup time. Choose type "Infobox" and click save:

What you're describing is the InfoboxBuilder, the same as on Legacy. You can enter Source if you click the [] in the right bottom corner. It's actually more visible on UCP than it is on Legacy.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:

Lytora wrote: Notice the startup time. Choose type "Infobox" and click save:

What you're describing is the InfoboxBuilder, the same as on Legacy. You can enter Source if you click the [] in the right bottom corner. It's actually more visible on UCP than it is on Legacy.

Right, I've grown used to working around it on Legacy. Apologies for that bit.

But there's a key difference: if you don't save on legacy before switching to source, you get the template type pop-up again and empty editor (granted, you still don't have the infobox source editor, but at least it's a source editor and you can start copying bits from related infoboxes).

Loading editor
    • That's not the normal way of going to infobox source mode. Clicking the [] is.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, that's what I said:

• Click source editor (this means [])
      • Would you like to save? No, cause I don't want the standard template that I have to delete
      • Now it's not an infobox

I guess that problem is now more apparent to me, but in the infobox builder or any new template, if I click "save" somewhere, I expect that to be remembered. So if I select the template type and save it, I have already saved it and shouldn't have to save it again. At least on legacy if you don't save, you get the...I'm repeating myself.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: That's not the normal way of going to infobox source mode. Clicking the [] is.

Why in the world should I have to click something else to get to Source Mode when it's a) set as default for my account, and b) described as "edit source" on the button?

Loading editor
    • The infobox builder is a component separate from both SE and VE. As long as the infobox consists of standard building blocks, it will open in the Builder. Once modifications have been made to the source code to customize things, it will default open in the Source editor instead. This is already the case on Legacy.

Loading editor
    • I simply can't imagine what will happen with Greetings on the UCP. It is a very often used feature.

Loading editor
    • It's easy to imagine: they won't work, and they haven't thought of a replacement feature afaik.

Loading editor
    • The Lego Elves Wiki has been migrated and I still have that automatic message... hmm...

Loading editor
    • If the automatic message was already sent when it was on Legacy, then it'll be transferred over. All messages are counted as messages, even if they were sent by the automated tool. All existing messages that existed on Legacy get transferred along with the wiki's UCP migration.

It's only after it's on UCP, that the feature will no longer send those welcome messages to new users. But that doesn't mean it'll get rid of all the messages that were previously sent, before the wiki was moved to UCP.

Loading editor
    • Okay, this seems a liiiiiiiittle confusing.

Loading editor
    • Woodhouse, could you please add custom Category tracks in Achievements to the next UCP update? I tried using them on my wiki, but there was no button to create new cstegories, just the normal tracks. They are especially useful on cosmology-themed wikis like my one where adding articles about entities and objects is important.

This is probably one of the last things (aside from wikitext comments) we need to make UCP on equal footing with the Legacy platform.

Loading editor
    • Nirvana Supermind wrote:
      Woodhouse, could you please add custom Category tracks in Achievements to the next UCP update? I tried using them on my wiki, but there was no button to create new cstegories, just the normal tracks. They are especially useful on cosmology-themed wikis like my one where adding articles about entities and objects is important.

This is probably one of the last things (aside from wikitext comments) we need to make UCP on equal footing with the Legacy platform.

Custom Category tracks is one of the things that UCP should get but unfortunately, no Wikitext comments since Article Comments, much like Message Walls have been rewritten not to use the outdated forum code and instead rely on feeds which they are not based on MediaWiki and as a result, they do not support Wikitext. Switching to talk pages or sticking with the formatting options the new Article Comments give you is the only solution for now.

Loading editor
    • HM100 wrote:
      Nirvana Supermind wrote:
      Woodhouse, could you please add custom Category tracks in Achievements to the next UCP update? I tried using them on my wiki, but there was no button to create new cstegories, just the normal tracks. They are especially useful on cosmology-themed wikis like my one where adding articles about entities and objects is important.

Custom Category tracks is one of the things that UCP should get but unfortunately, no Wikitext comments since Article Comments, much like Message Walls have been rewritten not to use the outdated forum code and instead rely on feeds which they are not based on MediaWiki and as a result, they do not support Wikitext. Switching to talk pages or sticking with the formatting options the new Article Comments give you is the only solution for now.

OK, well thanks for the info on wikitext comments, but Custom Category tracks are probably a thing on MediaWiki too, and even if they aren't, they should be super-easy to implement. So will fandom make a replacement for them?

Loading editor
    • Both the Fandom and Gamepedia achievement systems are custom extensions written by the respective dev teams. Neither are a native feature of MediaWiki nor a widely maintained extension.

Loading editor
    • w:c:wreckit-woodhouse:Cetaverse has a lot of problems, it's a bug, i need to fix

Loading editor
    • Could we not have fixed width for the site content wrapper? This is an issue for both higher and lower resolution displays. This is a heavy waste of expensive "real" estate. Or make some more styling feature, or just make it 80/90%

Loading editor
    • 180.190.91.173 wrote: w:c:wreckit-woodhouse:Cetaverse has a lot of problems, it's a bug, i need to fix

That is an interesting bug you appear to have found. Definitely something that needs fixing. To summarize for everyone else. The user was able to do an interwiki transclusion with a source other than Community Central. Additionally, when doing so using substitution, it pasted in the HTML of the entire rendered page instead of the wikitext.

Loading editor
    • 180.190.91.173 wrote: w:c:wreckit-woodhouse:Cetaverse has a lot of problems, it's a bug, i need to fix

I am a contributor on ADWiki lol

Loading editor
    • Example: [Template fetch failed for https://community.fandom.com/wiki/Template:c:alldimensions:Cetaverse?action=render]Non-transcludable interwiki provided.Non-transcludable interwiki provided. why html not wikitext?

Loading editor
    • Example: [Template fetch failed for https://community.fandom.com/wiki/Template:c:alldimensions:Cetaverse?action=render]Non-transcludable interwiki provided.Non-transcludable interwiki provided. why html not wikitext? (Why template fetch failed?)

Loading editor
    • It is supposed to. The only interwiki transclusion allowed is when the source wiki is Community Central. But as I said in my earlier reply, that is not what I am seeing on the page you linked to.

Loading editor
    • w:c:wreckit-woodhouse:Cetaverse looks like an HTML dump into a page source... WTF did you expect?

Loading editor
    • If you look at the page history, you can see what they actually provided as their edit. Somehow the wiki actually let them transclude something from another wiki other than CC.

Loading editor
    • Well, it didn't look like it did a transclude per se, since if you edit it, you see the HTML dump.

Loading editor
    • Merge-arrow Starting March 11, 2020, new wikis use the Unified Community Platform (UCP). Fandom has also started to convert some older wikis to UCP. UCP wikis currently have modified functionality, and are missing some legacy features. Fandom is continuing to work on adding/porting some missing features. For a user-compiled list of bugs, please see this page. For the status of dev scripts on the new software, see this project.
        Loading editor
    • But how to convert into wikitext first?

If the page is so large, then clear all, copy from Wiki 2 Secondary Wiki and paste it from First Wiki as wikitext, not html

The only source is w:Community Central

Loading editor
    • That is what I was trying to say in #51. In additional to allowing a tranclusion it shouldn't have, it also didn't do the substitution correctly either.

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.