FANDOM

• I've looked at the Special:RecentChanges replacing Special:WikiActivity in a recently migrated Sister Wiki ... It seems the feature is not working properly as no  recent Comments show up whatever the Filter is selected ... So the feature appears to be buggy ...

There was a March Staff Blog mentioning that  Users shoudl trry to use the new page, but we can't if the page will not display the information ...  It also does not seem to work in the Wreck-It Woodhouse Community Wiki  ...

So since there will be some time & resrouces to invest in debugging it, why not take the time to add the "Preview" function  that can be lifted from the recently added Blogs preview screen ...  The current Recent Changes is a far cry from the "user friendly" Wiki Activity display of the current legacy platform ... 

Will FANDOM consider comitting to resinstating  the Special:WikiActivity Feature not that it is proven that after 5 months, Recent Chages is not working and receiving vey negative reviews from Admins used to Wiki Activity ? ...

EDIT: If you also consider this more a BUG than a "technicsl feature" PLEASE log in a  ticket  about UCP Special:RecentChanges being inadequate to replace the "Activity" display at  : FANDOM ZenDesk Bug Report

Loading editor
    • Comments are not part of the MediaWiki portion of the site, so they wouldn't show up on WikiActivity either. On Legacy, comments showed up in Recent Changes. What you're describing isn't a RC/WA problem. They're looking for moderation alternatives for that.

The new Recent Changes may not cover all the use cases of WikiActivity, it's still improved in functionality to the old Recent Changes.

Loading editor
    • But comment were dumped in the Database dump ?  And Comments did show both in Recent Changes and WikiActivity ... see our Current  Special:RecentChanges that  DOES include Article Comments and has since the WIki inception AFAIK ,,,

CC HC-Wiki REcent Changes 200821

Hidden City Wiki , Special:RecentChanges

Loading editor
    • And Comments *DO* show on WikiActivity: Legacy platform

CC HC-Wiki WikiActivity 20821

Hidden City Wiki, Special:WikiActivity

Loading editor
    • recent changes is so compact i cant concentrate with that i can almost say it hurts my eyes :/

Loading editor
    • Recent Changes is complete. It's also very crowded and things are easy to miss, and the UCP version has additional filters for that. But yeah, if the regular view is too compact for you, the filters wouldn't address that.

The new UCP comments do not show in Recent Changes, and would not show in WikiActivity were it to be ported. I don't think UCP Comments would be included in a Database dump.

Loading editor
    • @Tupka217,  Bon Matin Ollie ! The "Special:WikiActivity" is not only used for moderation, lots of our active Contributors use it to see "what's new" and if there are other Wiki users they can help ...   It is also vital for Non-Registered Active users, or user who simply won't/can't login when they decide to see "what's new", since Non-Registered do not get the e-mail notifications for followed pages changes ...  I also would like to note that the Special:WikiActivityalleviates the need to follow individual pages by providing a central list of ALL Page Edits /  Comments ...  So for us, the "disappearance" of all Comments from Recent Changes after Migration is a BUG, even if for FANDOM Staff and WikiMedia people it is more of a technical feature ... (;^) ...

Loading editor

• BluesDriver wrote: I also would like to note that the Special:WikiActivityalleviates the need to follow individual pages by providing a central list of ALL Page Edits /  Comments ...  So for us, the "disappearance" of all Comments from Recent Changes after Migration is a BUG, even if for FANDOM Staff and WikiMedia people it is more of a technical feature ... (;^) ...

Comments 2.0 does not use MediaWiki, and so is not part of Recent Changes. It's not a bug, it's intended design. It is a shortcoming, though and AFAIK, there's no official replacement for it. You could see if DiscussionsRC works. I hate that you would need to.

Also, WA did not show all edits. Image namespace and IIRC also category and Mediawiki namespace were not mentioned. It no more negates the use for watched pages than RC would.

As for your other points, Fandom did not think through all use cases and those were some of them they didn't consider. It's a nice, clean feed alright. But what substitute they'll have for those is unknown. If you want to make a case for WA, send in feedback, but it looks like a done deal now.

Loading editor
    • I agree that Recent Changes does not have the capability of making things easier to moderate. The bureaucrats and admins will have a difficult time trying to deal with trolls, vandals and spammers because of it. So let's consider Recent Changes a colossal failure on the UCP. The rest of the issues of the UCP (link suggestions, popular pages images, image galleries, etc.) would be fixed eventually, but Recent Changes is something that needs to be either be improved and have a capability like Recent Wiki Activity does or replace it with the upgrade version of Recent Wiki Activity that will meet with the UCP platform.

Loading editor
    • I think that's unfair. Recent Changes isn't a failure. It's the standard product. The lack of a Recent Changes for Feeds is the failure - a failure that porting WikiActivity would not solve. Because it also only covers the MediaWiki portion of the site.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:
      I think that's unfair. Recent Changes isn't a failure. It's the standard product. The lack of a Recent Changes for Feeds is the failure - a failure that porting WikiActivity would not solve. Because it also only covers the MediaWiki portion of the site.

i loved when recent changes was optional, when i wanted to see i just clicked on "see everything" to get to recent changes, i used recent changes to know when someone removed a page, when users created new accounts but it being the standard WA?? i hate it

Loading editor
    • Recent Changes isn't optional - it's core MediaWiki since its creation. WikiActivity is non-standard and was added later. That's the optional one.

Loading editor
    • @Tupka217 Well since there was no word on this since March I will not hold my breath ... :/ ...  If I understand correctly the "beta" DiscussionsRC extension could be used do generate a "Recent Discussions" page  if our Admin decided it is much needed feature ? ... Then I guess it could be better than totally losing the functionality;  and,  if it is used by enough WIki to become "feature rich" and stable , FANDOM may elect to use it as part of their "standard" UCP offer at a later date  :) ...

Loading editor
    • The DiscussionsRC script works on Legacywikis to create a feed of Discussions. Whether it also includes other Feeds-based aspects (comments, blog comments, wall comments) I don't know.

Loading editor
    • To all FANDOM Users: If you also consider the Comments no longer showing more a BUG than a "technical feature", PLEASE log in a  ticket  about the UCP Special:RecentChanges being inadequate to replace the Legacy  "Activity" display at  : FANDOM ZenDesk Bug Report

Loading editor
    • "Bug" is a specific term in software. It's not analogues to "this bugs me". It bugs you, it bugs me. But it's not a bug.

UCP RecentChanges does not replace Legacy WikiActivity. UCP RecentChanges replaces Legacy RecentChanges. Legacy WikiActivity is replaced with nothing.

Loading editor
    • You seem to speak from a devleopper's perspective ...  IMO the Users who see the same ICON  in a SIMILAR interface , are right to  expect the SAME RESULTS... Thus having the "sinusoidal Logo" suddenly pointing to RecentChanges  instead of an EQUIVALENT to WikiActivity feels like a BUG to users because it FAILS to show any comments later than the migration date while displaying the Comments PRIOR to the MIGRATION since they were made using Talk:Page-Name/@Comments pages  that were listed in the database ( and included in the DUMPS) ... 

So to Users the Migration is "preventing" the Comments from showing in the "Activity" page ... That's why I called it a "technical feature" (;^) ... It may be that the software is "working as designed "  but for a User a major deisgn flaw IS a BUG not because it BUGS them but because it ROBS them from functionalities they come to expect without any  sign or heads up that the functionality has been discarded ...  The day they CHANGE the frigging  "sinusoida" LOGO, I'll stop calling it a BUG  (;^) ...  But I agree that it was "only" a MAJOR DESIGN OVERSIGHT not to replace that "functiionality" when they decided to move Comments from Talk: pages to FEEDS as you call them ... 

Loading editor
    • You're confusing a design change with a bug.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      You're confusing a design change with a bug.

removing something isnt design change....

Loading editor
    • It sure is... Apple removed the analog headphone jack from the iPhone and no one called it a bug. Just asserting something without evidence doesn't make it true.

Loading editor
    • BluesDriver wrote: Thus having the "sinusoidal Logo" suddenly pointing to RecentChanges  instead of an EQUIVALENT to WikiActivity feels like a BUG

It points to the landing page selected in the Preferences. With WikiActivity no longer an option, it apparently points to RC for people with that setting. Which is probably the closest option. What would you have said if they were pointed to the Main Page or Discussions instead?

Loading editor
    • In fact the "hidden" design change without warning to the user and by keeping the SAME Icon leaves Uers under the impression of a Bug because data that have shown for YEARS suddenly stopped showing just after a Migration to a new version. I understand all that it is happening but I guarantee you that for some (if not most)  admins this is OPAQUE and considered a BUG  ...  Why is it so hard to see things for the perspecgive of the 22 Milllions users of FANDOM ? ...  

BTW  UCP RecentChanges cannot show Article Comments since they no longer use  a Talk:page-name/@Comments structure  in the Wiki Database but now lie in a separate (?) Disucssions/Feeds repository. This is  part of the problem the SAME PAGE NAME giving a different set of results before and after migration ...  Any sane User will consider this a bug unless explained otherwise, playing with "semantics" on Bug vs Deisgn Flaw vs Design Oversight vs "technical feature" does alleviate the fact that Comments stop showing after the migration and it is a severe loss of functionality for most "power user" ( if not for most users period) ...

Loading editor
    • If most admins consider it a bug... most admins are wrong. Also, [citation needed] on "most".

Semantics is my shtick. As is pedantics. Not a bug. Trust me, I would love a RC of all Feed comments, I consider it vital for Walls2.0 to be anywhere near an acceptable replacement. But it's not a bug.

Loading editor
    • I think its funny that with all the real bugs UCP has... this is what is getting BluesDriver's attention. I mean, sure you don't like it, but ranting about it here is pointless and hurts your case, because now many of your points have been refuted.

Loading editor
    • Well most our Admins & active Contributors use that  "Activity" link to check "What's New" so it has a major impact on them and fully warranted my involvement ;)  ...Also, apparently  FANDOM is still  considering this a worthy & needed UCP improvement.  While I return to Gaming & lurk mode, here's the reply I got for reporting the loss of functionality as a BUG (;^) to FANDOM Zendesk: ---

George (Kirkburn) (Fandom Support)

Aug 21, 2020, 12:08 PM CDT

Hey there,

Thanks for contacting Fandom. This is expected behaviour right now - but we know it's a problem. It's very high up on our list to improve in the coming weeks!

Apologies for any issues this causes in the meantime.

Best regards,

George (Kirkburn)
      Senior Technical Support Manager
      Fandom Customer Support Team

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      It sure is... Apple removed the analog headphone jack from the iPhone and no one called it a bug. Just asserting something without evidence doesn't make it true.

i neither said it was a bug...

Loading editor
    • i just want wiki activity or some sort of design like that back, recent changes is hard for me to navigate :(

Loading editor
    • There'll probably be a PseudoWikiActivity on dev one day.

Loading editor
    • Yes. If someone creates port on Special:RecentChanges and interface & functiobs with JS & CSS, then you will can use it. But even if you will change everything, you won't replace Recent Changes with Wiki Activity (because it breaks Fandom policy) and/or make it 100% same, as it was.

Loading editor
    • FANDOM heard the Community  and  realized it need to supply us with the equivalent of "Recent Changes" for Comments & Messages so they are halting the UCP Migration in order to design a workable solution, I suppose a an additional "Special page" containing what "Recent Changes" is missing from "WIkiActivity"

See: Pausing_UCP_migrations_to_resolve_some_critical_blockers

Thanks & KUDOS to FANDOM Staff for listening !

Loading editor
    • Then take away the kudos for letting it take 6 months to do that. People have been yelling for it a lot.

Loading editor
    • Andresini05 wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:
      It sure is... Apple removed the analog headphone jack from the iPhone and no one called it a bug. Just asserting something without evidence doesn't make it true.

i neither said it was a bug...

You obviously didn't read the thread.

Loading editor
    • Unless I'm mistaken it was not obvous the Comments will no longer be visible as part of the "Wiki transactions list" in any form until people who got migrated reported it ... At first Comments were supposed to be "retired" then it was said they were moving to Discussions/Feeds format. It may have implied they would no longer show as "wiki activity" but  it dd not cross my mind at the time ...  If there was such discussions I may I've missed  tsince  'm fairly new to Community Central... Devil is always in the details of those "technical features" brought along with upgrades & mrgrations (;^) ...

Loading editor
    • BluesDriver wrote: Unless I'm mistaken it was not obvous the Comments will no longer be visible as part of the "Wiki transactions list" in any form until people who got migrated reported it ...

Pretty obvious to many people who already were familiar with Feeds. And I've been complaining about that since before March 11th.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, the untrackability of Discussions-based Comments should be well known by FANDOM staff, but you can always send them a reminder.

Loading editor
    • I also want Special:WikiActivity back, the new RecentChanges is very ugly to look at, I think a lot of it is the spacing and overall format of the page.

Loading editor
    • It looks as though this script was made, however you’ll have to wait until it gets approved to import it, Tamirobson.

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:
      It looks as though this script was made, however you’ll have to wait until it gets approved to import it, Tamirobson.

wow this is amazing! thank you

Loading editor
    • @UpnCbs06  The script seems to solve only PART of the issue, i.e. the Display Format  which is not the most important for many Admins.. Sadly, it does not  (and cannot) address the Comments not being listed since Comments and Messages and no longer in the "Wiki Database" but are moved to the Feeds/Discussions repository. So we will have to wait for FANDOM to depyed the solution they are currently developping to get a "comments/messages Activity page" ...

Loading editor
    • You can also use this script, which also works pretty well.

Loading editor
    • @GarfieldTC  Am I correct in understanding that this script is also an "optional display" and will only display Messages/Comments made prior to Migration to UCP ? 

Loading editor
    • It won't display Messages/Comments, even ones that were made while it was on Legacy. As stated, when a wiki moves to UCP, all messages and comments get moved unto the new Message wall formats, which are entirely separate, just like discussions.

Loading editor
    • @GarfieldTC Older comments were diplayed as "Talk" page Edits in Recent Changes, since this is an alternative output format to Recent Changes then  shouldn't  it display them on Legacy platform ? .,. Weren't Comments always part in the Wiki Database as "Talk Pages Edit" or is it a Wiki-specific settings we have and not the "general" rule ? ...   I understand the script would not list Discussions/Feeds entries on either platform ..

Loading editor
    • Yes, but the ModernizedChanges script does not work on Legacy. It only works on UCP. Of course, if you decided to replace a UCP wiki's Message walls with Talk pages instead, then yes - it would certainly display there.

Loading editor
    • So since there will be some time & resrouces to invest in debugging it, why not take the time to add the "Preview" function  that can be lifted from the recently added Blogs preview screen ...  The current Recent Changes is a far cry from the "user friendly" Wiki Activity display of the current legacy platform ... 

Speed Test

Loading editor
    • Boliyaty wrote:

So since there will be some time & resrouces to invest in debugging it... 

Where do you get that idea?

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.