FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    New thread time
    13:29, September 4, 2020

Happy Thursday, gang, and welcome to the first Release Highlights post of the Stanley Cup Playoffs!

Let's dump the puck into the zone and chase it with some highlights...

Achievements

Achievements has been deployed to the UCP. It is the same experience you know from the legacy platform, but now running on the backend tech used by Gamepedia's own Achievement system. This unblocks migration for many wikis on the legacy platform.

In Phase 2, we'll be giving this feature another design pass to make it more engaging.

JS Review

JavaScript review issues have been resolved and you can have wiki-specific custom JS now. Be sure to contact Fandom Staff to request the site JS flag on your wiki if you don't have it set yet.

Special:Contributions

There was an issue with styling not showing correctly on this page and that has been fixed.

H2 underlines

The underline from H2 formatting no longer collides with infoboxes.

Page vs wiki CSS classes

Targeting page-specific CSS has been fixed.

Upcoming

Semantic MediaWiki is undergoing final acceptance testing, which will unblock migrations for wikis making use of it on the legacy platform. Please note that our policy on the application of this extension has not changed and it will not be enabled on further wikis.

Additional Note

Starting with the following batch of wikis, banner notices for upcoming migrations to the UCP will be enabled at least 2 weeks ahead of time (absent special circumstances). This follows feedback from admins about needing a little more notice to prepare.

Loading editor
    • Glad to see JavaScript back in full force! Does that mean that JavaScript has now been fully unblocked as a barrier for wiki migration?

I'm looking forward to what changes we might see in Achievements in Phase 2.

Loading editor
    • Great updates as usual! One question though, since achievements were added into UCP, would wikis with achievements be ready for migration now?

Loading editor
    • Several legacy wikis have achievements set customly. Will those custom achievements be saved and merged when the wikis migrate?

Loading editor
    • Finally a new one! My stores of distilled whining against Fandom Staff were running low and were only kept slightly provided by the number of blog post lately.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Great updates as usual! One question though, since achievements were added into UCP, would wikis with achievements be ready for migration now?

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

This unblocks migration for many wikis on the legacy platform.

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote: Does that mean that JavaScript has now been fully unblocked as a barrier for wiki migration?

To my knowledge, yes.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: Achievements

Achievements has been deployed to the UCP. It is the same experience you know from the legacy platform, but now running on the backend tech used by Gamepedia's own Achievement system. This unblocks migration for many wikis on the legacy platform.

Also what does this mean exactly, do we keep the same achievements bu they run on different tech (ie we won't really notice it) or will the new Achievements be more like Gamepedia's (which hands them out like they need to get rid of them)?

Loading editor
    • Asarta wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote: Achievements

Also what does this mean exactly, do we keep the same achievements bu they run on different tech (ie we won't really notice it) or will the new Achievements be more like Gamepedia's (which hands them out like they need to get rid of them)?

The former. Same user experience as legacy, but running on a different service.

Phase 2 is when changes will be made.

Loading editor
    • Okay thanks for the clarification.

Loading editor
    • Are achievements still only obtainable through contacting staff?

Loading editor
    • Nice of you to have maintained it. Greetings!

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      Low quality
      02:25, August 14, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • Alright, epic!

Loading editor
    • Cool, I just contacted Fandom to enable Achievements on Tiffany Darwish Wiki, as well as Javascript, and both of them worked. I also just saw that message earlier when I was about to contact Fandom about it.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
      02:26, August 14, 2020
    • I would be happy, but this means wikis with Badges/JS are ready to be converted (?)

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
    • YAY I love the idea of earning points

Loading editor
    • good

Loading editor
    • Wait. Achievements are like our current badges, like "User's Friend", right?

Loading editor
    • There's an annoying bug where whenever I try to open the visual editor, all content is lost, so I have to edit using soruce and switch to Visual.

I'm also getting some notification issues.

Loading editor
    • Gr8

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
    • What about Insights?

Loading editor
    • OrangetheRainWing wrote:
      Wait. Achievements are like our current badges, like "User's Friend", right?

Wdym-?

Loading editor
    • ShriketheIceWing-SkyWing wrote:
      OrangetheRainWing wrote:
      Wait. Achievements are like our current badges, like "User's Friend", right?
      Wdym-?

i think he means a badge

Loading editor
    • Woah!

Loading editor
    • but we'll have to contact u guys for it, Right? aaa aa i mean its not for administrator dashboard, Right?  LuvOf99Th  22:00, August 13, 2020 (UTC).

Loading editor
    • No, those are templates, aka badges. Achievements are earned when you do something like make a blog post for the first time or contribute to a wiki for a certain amount of consecutive days

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
    • Finally, another good thing with UCP!

Loading editor
    • Nice 

Loading editor
    • Hero346 wrote:
      No, those are templates, aka badges. Achievements are earned when you do something like make a blog post for the first time or contribute to a wiki for a certain amount of consecutive days

no i mean its enabled for wiki already or we'll still have to contact the staff for it?

i got this thing, lol :
      OnPaste.20200814-030818

See?

LuvOf99Th  22:09, August 13, 2020 (UTC).

Loading editor
    • Yes!

Loading editor
    • Cool. I'm looking forward to see what the UCP has in store to better the platform. My only real criticism right now, is that the instructions to add an image to an article on new wikis are a bit... confusing. 

Loading editor
    • This just keeps getting better!

Loading editor
    • FridayNightStar4 wrote:
      Cool. I'm looking forward to see what the UCP has in store to better the platform. My only real criticism right now, is that the instructions to add an image to an article on new wikis are a bit... confusing. 

yeah true

Loading editor
    • Wiki Admins can add specific categories to the achievement system to encourage edits to pages into those categories.

P.S. There is an achievement for making x number of edits in a short amount of time - I think was called 'Caffinated' or something like that.

Loading editor
    • Ok

Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote:
      Wiki Admins can add specific categories to the achievement system to encourage edits to pages into those categories.

P.S. There is an achievement for making x number of edits in a short amount of time - I think was called 'Caffinated' or something like that.

maybe

Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote:
      Wiki Admins can add specific categories to the achievement system to encourage edits to pages into those categories.

Yep there is- its for making 100 article edits  in a day

Loading editor
    • Excuse me, but are they already enabled? i dont see them on the wiki I created...

Loading editor
    • eh 
      Think
        Loading editor
    • oh oof we have to contact them for it 😅

Loading editor
    • Forbidden Lloyd wrote:
      oh oof we have to contact them for it 😅

yeah

Loading editor
    • Forbidden Lloyd wrote:
      oh oof we have to contact the- What?
        Loading editor
    • Sophiedp
      Sophiedp removed this reply because:
      02:11, August 14, 2020
    • Sophiedp
      02:11, August 14, 2020
    • Great

Loading editor
    • This is some kind of a nice update.

Loading editor
    • Yes - you have to contact FANDOM to turn on Achievement/Badges and JS for your Wiki if you do not have either one already activated on your wiki

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp
      02:12, August 14, 2020
    • Oh no :pleading_face:

Loading editor
    • I, not knowing these were unavailable previously on the UCP, already contacted FANDOM staff about enabling it for my wiki. The reply I received said they had enabled it, only for me to learn it wasn't enabled because achievements were not yet available on the UCP. I didn't look too hard, but I don't see that it's enabled. Should this be happening, or do I need to contact FANDOM again?

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
      02:27, August 14, 2020
    • Are there going to be help pages for the new UCP Achievements system?

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      blank post
    • Sweet

Loading editor
    • Stop spamming nonsense into this thread.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Are there going to be help pages for the new UCP Achievements system?

It's the same front-end.

That being said, we're going to embark on another Great Update of Help soon.

Loading editor
    • Antonym of Bright wrote: I, not knowing these were unavailable previously on the UCP, already contacted FANDOM staff about enabling it for my wiki. The reply I received said they had enabled it, only for me to learn it wasn't enabled because achievements were not yet available on the UCP. I didn't look too hard, but I don't see that it's enabled. Should this be happening, or do I need to contact FANDOM again?

You should have a special page called Special:Leaderboard to show your achievement scores. I forgot the special page to edit the achievements (add/remove categories and to name them)

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
    • For those who wanna see Achievements on UCP in action: https://wreckit-woodhouse.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Leaderboard

Loading editor
    • Very nice indeed! Quite a few wikis I edit on use custom JS and CSS.

I'm gonna leave the link to my feedback post again, just in case: User blog:Magma MK-II/UCP Source Editor Feedback

Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote:

Antonym of Bright wrote: I, not knowing these were unavailable previously on the UCP, already contacted FANDOM staff about enabling it for my wiki. The reply I received said they had enabled it, only for me to learn it wasn't enabled because achievements were not yet available on the UCP. I didn't look too hard, but I don't see that it's enabled. Should this be happening, or do I need to contact FANDOM again?

You should have a special page called Special:Leaderboard to show your achievement scores. I forgot the special page to edit the achievements (add/remove categories and to name them)

The Special:Leaderboard page has a database query error saying [409f66dd1f28a46c] 2020-08-13 22:32:51: Fatal exception of type "Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError"

Loading editor
    • The Special:Leaderboard page has a database query error saying [409f66dd1f28a46c] 2020-08-13 22:32:51: Fatal exception of type "Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError"

I think that means they are not activated on your wiki

Loading editor
    • It is nice to see that this made it into UCP even though I do not exactly support badges

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
      02:28, August 14, 2020
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
    • InvaidCode337
      InvaidCode337 removed this reply because:
      22:56, August 13, 2020
    • "JavaScript review issues have been resolved and you can have wiki-specific custom JS now."

Awesome news! Kudos, team and thanks.

Loading editor
    • Melicent wrote:
      "JavaScript review issues have been resolved and you can have wiki-specific custom JS now."

Awesome news! Kudos, team and thanks.

bro you dont have to say anything

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
    • my wiki ([1]) does not want the change to unified.

how can i disable unified?

Loading editor
    • EDIT: started typing this an hour ago so didn't see most of the messages, I (and my wiki staff as a whole) personally agree with ^ (not wanting to change to UCP) but know it's not possible

Does anyone know if there is there any reason why on UCP wikis source editor is now like visual editor, not to mention that classic editor does nothing different than visual editor? (If so, please tell me. Is it to "unify the editing experience into one (visual) editor" where you only get to choose your default editor rather than your editing experience? It seems to take longer to load and... has a bunch of things that are in the visual editor that experienced source editors don't need, so (to me) forcing people to have to take the time to load them in is just a waste of loading time and user's time.

Other issues I have besides it now forces visual editor aspects upon me weather I want them or not (hint: I don't want them and have no way to disable them) include:

1. the E hotkey to edit pages that I use seems to be broken, forcing me to go click the edit button rather than stay mostly on the keyboard as I tend to.
      2. since I normally don't edit in fullscreen, but full width and reduced height (as I have the fandom window and then other reference windows in the background at full height and most of the width with a side-bar for me to click back to the fandom window), cramming everything vertically in layers with no setting to swap to horizontal/columns reduces the area of actual text editor I have to 9-19 lines compared to 24-34 lines fullscreened (depending on if the huge top bar has popped off of scrolling or not - which also has it end up hidden if it hasn't yet popped off of scrolling up and I scroll down to a specific spot even if I have fullscreened rendering it obsolete in that position)
        1. preview, show changes, etc. are in a really inconvenient spot for me, because it's on the complete opposite end of the screen if I change even chrome tabs with the mouse, as well as due to me using a reduced height window that works best with vertical sections compared to a reduced width window that works best with horizontal layouts.
      3. Some of the popups (like if you click on the add a link button for the first time, or click the add an image/gallery in general) don't disappear when you click outside of them so you have to navigate your cursor to the cancel button rather than just clicking anywhere outside the box, and with the link one in my particular window size, I had to scroll down to actually press the "ok got it" button.
      4. Rather than let me type down on the bottom section of my screen, it forces me to scroll so it's centered (unless at the very bottom of the page). It's nice and all, but at that point in time I would be looking at it down there so it would move out of my focus and/or I would be using something in the text above it as a reference text so it scrolls that out of my screen.

(not bring up that any of my editing/other scripts aren't working because I know that it will get fixed/they will be updated accordingly)

Haven't really tested I sincerely hope it doesn't tamper with spacing when copy-pasting like discussions and the new message walls do... because for long discussions posts (announcements on wikis in particular), I'd start typing, get annoyed with the editor , copy-paste the text to source editor on a page to do the rest of the typing while maintaining the format that it changed to when I pasted it, copy it all again, and paste it back on discussions, and have all the spacing get ruined so I'd have to go fix that again (further frustrating me with the editor), and have all the links have popup things, that when I go and delete them (because there isn't a setting to just have them not pop up), they leave an unwanted line break (even further frustrating me with the discussions editor).

Also hope it discussions/new message walls get updated to not auto-caps at the front of lines (or get a setting to disable that), because there's 3 possible situations that occur when typing for me:

1. Want a capital letter at the front of the line - I press shift so the auto-caps does not help or hurt me
      2. Don't care about a capital letter at the front of the line - I don't press shift, but the auto-caps does not help or hurt me
      3. Want a lower-case letter at the front of the line - like doing a formula and using camel case (with things like "dmg" and "maxSpread" and such) - hurts me because it forces a capital so like saying things like "dmg*(1-armorProtection)" would result in "Dmg*(1-armorProtection)" which just looks awful and inconsistant (and I would use as a simple one-line reply to "hey, how does armor protection reduce damage"), forcing me to go in and type the D, type another d, go back to the first D and delete it, go back to the end of the message, and move on. And in larger messages, I tend to give formulas their own lines anyways so...
        Loading editor
    • Cuddly Rainbow Guardian wrote: my wiki ([1]) does not want the change to unified.

Unfortunately you can’t

Loading editor
    • ThePokegeek5000 wrote:
      Does anyone know if there is there any reason why on UCP wikis source editor is now like visual editor, not to mention that classic editor does nothing different than visual editor? (If so, please tell me. Is it to "unify the editing experience into one (visual) editor" where you only get to choose your default editor rather than your editing experience? It seems to take longer to load and... has a bunch of things that are in the visual editor that experienced source editors don't need, so (to me) forcing people to have to take the time to load them in is just a waste of loading time and user's time.

Other issues I have besides it now forces visual editor aspects upon me weather I want them or not (hint: I don't want them and have no way to disable them) include: 

1. the E hotkey to edit pages that I use seems to be broken, forcing me to go click the edit button rather than stay mostly on the keyboard as I tend to.
      2. since I normally don't edit in fullscreen, but full width and reduced height (as I have the fandom window and then other reference windows in the background at full height and most of the width with a side-bar for me to click back to the fandom window), cramming everything vertically in layers with no setting to swap to horizontal/columns reduces the area of actual text editor I have to 9-19 lines compared to 24-34 lines fullscreened (depending on if the huge top bar has popped off of scrolling or not - which also has it end up hidden if it hasn't yet popped off of scrolling up and I scroll down to a specific spot even if I have fullscreened rendering it obsolete in that position)
        1. preview, show changes, etc. are in a really inconvenient spot for me, because it's on the complete opposite end of the screen if I change even chrome tabs with the mouse, as well as due to me using a reduced height window that works best with vertical sections compared to a reduced width window that works best with horizontal layouts.
      3. Some of the popups (like if you click on the add a link button for the first time, or click the add an image/gallery in general) don't disappear when you click outside of them so you have to navigate your cursor to the cancel button rather than just clicking anywhere outside the box, and with the link one in my particular window size, I had to scroll down to actually press the "ok got it" button.
      4. Rather than let me type down on the bottom section of my screen, it forces me to scroll so it's centered (unless at the very bottom of the page). It's nice and all, but at that point in time I would be looking at it down there so it would move out of my focus and/or I would be using something in the text above it as a reference text so it scrolls that out of my screen.

(not bring up that any of my editing/other scripts aren't working because I know that it will get fixed/they will be updated accordingly)

Haven't really tested I sincerely hope it doesn't tamper with spacing when copy-pasting like discussions and the new message walls do... because for long discussions posts (announcements on wikis in particular), I'd start typing, get annoyed with the editor , copy-paste the text to source editor on a page to do the rest of the typing while maintaining the format that it changed to when I pasted it, copy it all again, and paste it back on discussions, and have all the spacing get ruined so I'd have to go fix that again (further frustrating me with the editor), and have all the links have popup things, that when I go and delete them (because there isn't a setting to just have them not pop up), they leave an unwanted line break (even further frustrating me with the discussions editor).

Also hope it discussions/new message walls get updated to not auto-caps at the front of lines (or get a setting to disable that), because there's 3 possible situations that occur when typing for me:

1. Want a capital letter at the front of the line - I press shift so the auto-caps does not help or hurt me
      2. Don't care about a capital letter at the front of the line - I don't press shift, but the auto-caps does not help or hurt me
      3. Want a lower-case letter at the front of the line - like doing a formula and using camel case (with things like "dmg" and "maxSpread" and such) - hurts me because it forces a capital so like saying things like "dmg*(1-armorProtection)" would result in "Dmg*(1-armorProtection)" which just looks awful and inconsistant (and I would use as a simple one-line reply to "hey, how does armor protection reduce damage"), forcing me to go in and type the D, type another d, go back to the first D and delete it, go back to the end of the message, and move on. And in larger messages, I tend to give formulas their own lines anyways so...
      4. Nothing
        Loading editor
    • Yeah, the auto caps thing is slightly annoying tbh, but not to offend any FANDOM staff. You guys work really hard.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I'm not trying to go offend FANDOM Staff (#1 way to get globally banned lol), but trying to get my opinions out there as a kind of user feedback for improvement.

Loading editor
    • One of my communities has the banner up. It has many pages that use tabview, which I believe UCP does not have at the moment. Is this planned to be implemented and if so when?

Loading editor
    • InvaidCode337
      InvaidCode337 removed this reply because:
      23:44, August 13, 2020
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:
      Happy Thursday, gang, and welcome to the first Release Highlights post of the Stanley Cup Playoffs!

i can't wait for when chat comes in phase 2

Loading editor
    • @ThePokegeek5000: You might get more response from FANDOM staff by sending your feedback to "Contact us".

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      @ThePokegeek5000: You might get more response from FANDOM staff by sending your feedback to "Contact us".

What do you mean?

Loading editor
    • Exactly what I said. What don't you understand?

Loading editor
    • Will <Tabview> be available on UCP?

Loading editor
    • wut is dat?

Loading editor
    • Ninjamask wrote: Will <Tabview> be available on UCP?

No, based on what’s noted in User blog:FishTank/Short and long pages on Fandom#TabView

Loading editor
    • Yylecaksberri wrote:i can't wait for when chat comes in phase 2

i'm pretty sure they were removing live chat...

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Blank post
      02:25, August 14, 2020
    • Yay but how to make badges

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      low quality
      02:24, August 14, 2020
    • InvaidCode337 wrote:
      TrevStarSwords wrote:
      Yay but how to do it............
      Do it

contact fandom support

Loading editor
    • YES! WE HAVE BADGES!

Loading editor
    • TrevStarSwords
      TrevStarSwords removed this reply because:
      idk
      23:50, August 13, 2020
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

YAY NEW BADGES

Loading editor
    • TrevStarSwords wrote:
      Yay but how to make badges

Contact FANDOM support.

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:
      Ninjamask wrote:

Will <Tabview> be available on UCP?

No, based on what’s noted in User blog:FishTank/Short and long pages on Fandom#TabView

although not confirmed, its been repeatedly hinted at being made available on UCP in the F/G server, though certainly nothing concrete

Loading editor
    • I can't find how to make badges on the fandom support contact page thingy 😔 

Loading editor
    • Endangered Cookies wrote:
      I can't find how to make badges on the fandom support contact page thingy 😔 

Just contact them and ask them to enable achievements feature. You can edit the badges if you're an administrator. Check Help:Achievements for more information about badges.

Loading editor
    • Thankyou

Loading editor
      Thankyou

Glad to assist^^ 

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: For those who wanna see Achievements on UCP in action: https://wreckit-woodhouse.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Leaderboard

There seems to be an issue there: According to Special:ListGroupRights, Fandom Staff, WMs, CTMs, Helpers, and SOAP are ineligible to earn achievement points, but somehow on that wiki, Fandom Staff, (Specifically Kuzura) is earning achievement points despite that.

Loading editor
    • Don't want to be annoying but how do I enable java script because when I ask everyone gives me a link to the contact support page but it just gives me something that says TURN JAVASCRIPT ON, but I don't know how to 

Loading editor
    • Use this form to request it.

Loading editor
    • THANKYOU SO MUCHHHH

Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote:

The Special:Leaderboard page has a database query error saying [409f66dd1f28a46c] 2020-08-13 22:32:51: Fatal exception of type "Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError"

Oh, okay. Thanks!

Loading editor
    • Yay! I wonder where is Wiki activity though.

Loading editor
    • StarryShimmer wrote:
      Yay! I wonder where is Wiki activity though.

They removed it :(

Loading editor
      StarryShimmer wrote:

🤨

Hello? I ain't talking to you.

Loading editor
    • Finally!

Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote:

When they are activated, on non-UCP wiki's, you would go to Special:AchievementsCustomize to Add, Edit, Disable, or Rename the varying Edit tracks.

I do not know if it is the same Special:Page on the UCP wikis or not.

Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote:
      Jrooksjr wrote:

When they are activated, on non-UCP wiki's, you would go to Special:AchievementsCustomize to Add, Edit, Disable, or Rename the varying Edit tracks.

I do not know if it is the same Special:Page on the UCP wikis or not.

on the wreckit-woodhouse wiki's Special:AchievementsCustomize you get a permissions error instead of a "No such special page" error so I think you're right

Loading editor
    • I agree

Loading editor
    • StarryShimmer wrote:
      Endangered Cookies wrote:
      StarryShimmer wrote:

🤨

Hello? I ain't talking to you.

Well if your going to Post something please consider it talking and you just said hello so BYE :)

Loading editor
    • InvaidCode337 wrote:
      Forbidden Lloyd wrote:
      Yylecaksberri wrote:
      MisterWoodhouse wrote:

i meant when they added chat to ucp, also 90% of the wikis don't have a discord

Loading editor
    • Yylecaksberri wrote:

Nowhere has staff even implied Chat is coming to UCP (phase 1, 2, or something beyond) or else I've missed something important. Have a link to that?

Loading editor
    • Chat will not be ported over to UCP - User_blog:MisterWoodhouse/The_future_of_Chat

Loading editor
    • Yylecaksberri wrote:
      InvaidCode337 wrote:
      Forbidden Lloyd wrote:
      Yylecaksberri wrote:
      MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Wellll no one really uses the chat-

No one that i know of

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:
      UpnCbs06 wrote:
      Ninjamask wrote:

Will <Tabview> be available on UCP?

although not confirmed, its been repeatedly hinted at being made available on UCP in the F/G server, though certainly nothing concrete

I hope it does. If it doesn't, does anyone know an alternative to this feature?

Loading editor
    • Tabbers and transclusion or templates and transclusion. The first option is bad for reasons described in the blog in the quoted message, I think templates are alright but they're a little difficult to set up

Loading editor
    • Achievements... can a admin enable them via a wiki feature or contact a staff?

Loading editor
    • You'd have to contact Fandom Staff to request them. Once they're enabled, you can go to Special:AchievementsCustomize to set them customly.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality reply
      02:30, August 14, 2020
    • You have to use Special:Contact to ask Fandom to activate Achievements/Badges. Then you would use Special:AchievementsCustomize to set them up.

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp
    • Sophiedp
      02:13, August 14, 2020
    • Sophiedp
    • Sophiedp
    • Himmalerin wrote:
      Yylecaksberri wrote:

Nowhere has staff even implied Chat is coming to UCP (phase 1, 2, or something beyond) or else I've missed something important. Have a link to that?

Uh I think they specifically said chat would NOT be coming to UCP? See this.

Loading editor
    • ...That's exactly what my message says? "Nowhere has staff even implied Chat is coming to UCP"

I've read the blog and based on its contents I thought it pretty clear there was no future for chat, which is why I was asking for a link to where staff said they were adding it to UCP wikis.

Loading editor
    • Cuddly Rainbow Guardian wrote: my wiki ([1]) does not want the change to unified.

That's not something you get a choice in. Every wiki will eventually be part of UCP.

Loading editor
    • Yeeeee!!!!

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality post
      03:33, August 14, 2020
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
      03:34, August 14, 2020
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality post
      03:33, August 14, 2020
    • we gonna be able to have message walls and chatting on pages or y'all just gonna ruin the swof wiki

Loading editor
    • Well these are great news, but the new editing platform is somewhat hard for me because I can't add or remove images. Also, the new VisualEditor is kinda small.

Loading editor
    • Beetle The HiveWing wrote: we gonna be able to have message walls and chatting on pages or y'all just gonna ruin the swof wiki

Yep! There's message walls on the new platform.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: Tabbers and transclusion or templates and transclusion. The first option is bad for reasons described in the blog in the quoted message, I think templates are alright but they're a little difficult to set up

Using tabbers is fine. The reasons on this blog applies only to tabview.

Edit: I was wrong and indeed there are issues about using tabs. However, those issues are not as big as with tabview, and FANDOM allows the use of tabbers as many users find them comfortable.

Loading editor
    • These all seems like very useful updates. Thank you for your hard work.

I hope that achievements can still be deactivated for all communities that want to though. In my experience they tend to encourage quantity over quality editing, and I much prefer the opposite.

Loading editor
    • Does that means that badges are in ucp? Or in process of coming soon

Loading editor
    • Yay

Loading editor
    • InternationalSpongebobStuffAndOtherThings wrote: Does that means that badges are in ucp? Or in process of coming soon

Yes, i actually this is badge or coming.

Edit:Okay, i got badge

Loading editor
    • Beetle The HiveWing wrote: we gonna be able to have message walls and chatting on pages or y'all just gonna ruin the swof wiki

Yes
      There will be Message Walls
      NO
      There will N O T be CHATTing
        Loading editor
    • Antvasima wrote: These all seems like very useful updates. Thank you for your hard work.

I hope that achievements can still be deactivated for all communities that want to though. In my experience they tend to encourage quantity over quality editing, and I much prefer the opposite.

Achievements are disabled by default - you have to request to have them turned on

Loading editor
    • How can I request badges 

Loading editor
    • InternationalSpongebobStuffAndOtherThings wrote: How can I request badges 

1. If you are an Admin:
        1. Type Special:Contact in the URL to make the request on your wiki
        2. Choose 'Changes to a Wiki"
        3. Choose 'I want a Feature or Extension turned on'
        4. Click on the contact us link
        5. Fill out the Form
      2. If you are not an Admin:
        1. Contact an Admin
        2. Get them to complete the steps above
        Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote:

Beetle The HiveWing wrote: we gonna be able to have message walls and chatting on pages or y'all just gonna ruin the swof wiki

Yes
      There will be Message Walls

NO
      There will N O T be CHATTing

So no comments on pages? I know sadly chat won't be there anymore. Oh well, there's discord to replace chat.

Loading editor
    • So no comments on pages? I know sadly chat won't be there anymore. Oh well, there's discord to replace chat.

The talk pages will be there of course.  But, as to article comments, I do not remember if they will be there or not.  You may want to read this Blog to see if this helps you.

Loading editor
    • Hmm, this is a great achievement in the history of UCP.

Jrooksjr wrote:

So no comments on pages? I know sadly chat won't be there anymore. Oh well, there's discord to replace chat.

The talk pages will be there of course.  But, as to article comments, I do not remember if they will be there or not.  You may want to read this Blog to see if this helps you.

Well, I think we still have article comments. I checked some new UCP wikis.

Loading editor
    • Also, one thing I need to mention is that the bar at the top with the FANDOM Logo and the footer are not displaying properly for Google Chrome on android, is there a way you can fix this?

Loading editor
    • Bruh. Talk pages are actually terrible. Like, no joke. For one, I have no idea how to use them. For two, it's like, the biggest regression I've ever witnessed. Is there some way that you can add the code to message walls back?

Loading editor
    • Hi! Idk if a same query has already been raised here coz Idk what keywords to search and the thread is quite long already but...

Did only the wikis that were migrated from the Legacy platform to UCP get the Achievements feature (but wikis created using UCP, those founded after March 2020, did not get it)? Did they get it automatically? I noticed that in one wiki I manage, we got the feature but back when it was still in Legacy platform, we did not have it as we did not request it.

Looking forward to a response!

Loading editor
    • Beetle The HiveWing wrote: Bruh. Talk pages are actually terrible. Like, no joke. For one, I have no idea how to use them. For two, it's like, the biggest regression I've ever witnessed. Is there some way that you can add the code to message walls back?

Talk pages are the exact same thing as Main Article pages;  you can use the same wiki code and links and everything just like main articles, but are to to be used to talk about the main article.  The only requirement is to sign your name using 4 tilde's ~~~~ at the end of your posts so that everyone knows who posted what.

@ComboLuigi2000 just posted that they think Article comments are active on the UCP wiki's (found at the bottom of the main article pages)

P.S. I am just a normal editor like you - I am not staff and can not add anything as far as coding goes.

Loading editor
    • PerseusHunt wrote: Hi! Idk if a same query has already been raised here coz Idk what keywords to search and the thread is quite long already but...

Did only the wikis that were migrated from the Legacy platform to UCP get the Achievements feature (but wikis created using UCP, those founded after March 2020, did not get it)? Did they get it automatically? I noticed that in one wiki I manage, we got the feature but back when it was still in Legacy platform, we did not have it as we did not request it.

Looking forward to a response!

Achievements/Badges are now available to all wikis now that UCP can now support them.  They are disabled by default and have to be turned on by Fandom staff if requested by Admins of the wiki that wants them

Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote:

Beetle The HiveWing wrote: Bruh. Talk pages are actually terrible. Like, no joke. For one, I have no idea how to use them. For two, it's like, the biggest regression I've ever witnessed. Is there some way that you can add the code to message walls back?

Talk pages are the exact same thing as Main Article pages;  you can use the same wiki code and links and everything just like main articles, but are to to be used to talk about the main article.  The only requirement is to sign your name using 4 tilde's ~~~~ at the end of your posts so that everyone knows who posted what.

@ComboLuigi2000 just posted that they think Article comments are active on the UCP wiki's (found at the bottom of the main article pages)

P.S. I am just a normal editor like you - I am not staff and can not add anything as far as coding goes.

1. Oh.
      2. Yes, I was aware. I was talking to Will (MisterWoodhouse)
        Loading editor
    • Oh finally in UCP!!

Loading editor
    • Beetle The HiveWing wrote: Bruh. Talk pages are actually terrible. Like, no joke. For one, I have no idea how to use them. For two, it's like, the biggest regression I've ever witnessed. Is there some way that you can add the code to message walls back?

Message Walls have been on the UCP for ages.

Article Comments are on the UCP as well.

Whoever is spreading the rumor that Message Walls aren't on UCP is sorely mistaken.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Beetle The HiveWing wrote: Bruh. Talk pages are actually terrible. Like, no joke. For one, I have no idea how to use them. For two, it's like, the biggest regression I've ever witnessed. Is there some way that you can add the code to message walls back?

Message Walls have been on the UCP for ages.

Article Comments are on the UCP as well.

Whoever is spreading the rumor that Message Walls aren't on UCP is sorely mistaken.

Actually, I saw message walls on UCP as well, so I know they are already on there.

Loading editor
    • Can anyone tell me how to put badges on my wiki

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • I want Wiki Activity back since it's better to figure out what's actually going on in the wiki.

Loading editor
    • StarryShimmer wrote: I want Wiki Activity back since it's better to figure out what's actually going on in the wiki.

We've heard the feedback about Wiki Activity and we have nothing new to announce yet, but Wiki Activity will not be returning in its current form.

Loading editor
    • How to make badges on my wiki

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

StarryShimmer wrote: I want Wiki Activity back since it's better to figure out what's actually going on in the wiki.

We've heard the feedback about Wiki Activity and we have nothing new to announce yet, but Wiki Activity will not be returning in its current form.

I must agree.

Loading editor
    • TrevStarSwords wrote: How to make badges on my wiki

contact Fandom Staff

Loading editor
    • GarfieldTC wrote:

TrevStarSwords wrote: How to make badges on my wiki

contact Fandom Staff

For more information, see Help:Achievements.

Celdrøn @fandom (discussion)

Loading editor
    • Nice to hear!

One thing though, I've noticed a bug where if you click on a user's username on a message wall, it thinks you're searching for "GlacyGlaceGlacyGlace" and not "GlacyGlace", causing a broken link.

Loading editor
    • Oh, phew. Message walls are life.

Loading editor
    • Okay!

Loading editor
    • This is a stupid question, but how do I know if a wiki is on the UCP? Also, I think forums here might need a modification. In order to reply, you need to scroll to the bottom of the page, which is suffice to say... A very long way down. Having a shortcut button or something near the top would be helpful (if I missed something, let me know!).

Loading editor
    • SchizoidNightmares wrote: This is a stupid question, but how do I know if a wiki is on the UCP? Also, I think forums here might need a modification. In order to reply, you need to scroll to the bottom of the page, which is suffice to say... A very long way down. Having a shortcut button or something near the top would be helpful (if I missed something, let me know!).

Special:Version will show MediaWiki 1.33 for UCP and 1.19 for legacy

Forums are getting retired, so no need to make a UI change there. Discussions are on UCP.

Loading editor
    • Insights?

Loading editor
    • Insights aren't planned to come to UCP.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
      01:25, August 15, 2020
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
    • Celdrøn wrote:

For more information, see Help:Achievements.

Celdrøn @fandom (discussion)

This sort of tells you how to enable it, but the info is all old and for legacy wikis.

Also "may be available" isn't very encouraging.

Loading editor
    • This entire update is a bruh moment.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
      01:24, August 15, 2020
    • How do I add JS to my wiki?

Loading editor
    • please add something good to this united platform or whatever, like the ability to add wikitext in dsicussions. :/

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
    • KrytenKoro wrote:

How do I add JS to my wiki?

You need to request it be enabled via Special:Contact.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      random message
    • MRReddish wrote: please add something good to this united platform or whatever, like the ability to add wikitext in dsicussions. :/

That would be a great idea, if only Staffs would take such ideas into consideration without deciding everything themselves...

Loading editor
    • Achievements feel a bit useless but ok then.

Loading editor
    • GarfieldTC wrote:

MRReddish wrote: please add something good to this united platform or whatever, like the ability to add wikitext in dsicussions. :/

That would be a great idea, if only Staffs would take such ideas into consideration without deciding everything themselves...

Having the idea is the easy part. Implementation of a full wikitext parser onto a non wiki engine is much more difficult.

Loading editor
    • I do think there is a middle ground between full wikitext support and what we have now.

Maybe just some limited re-usable text chunks or a bit of markup support for text styling and links.

The problem is the functionality gap between Forum and Discussions is so vast. Also, please, please, please allow an option to show link previews only when desired.

Loading editor
    • Great to hear!

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Off topic
      02:39, August 16, 2020
    • Would you stop quoting people and editing the quoted message? You were warned back in post #68 and have yet to cease.

Loading editor
    • Moderation would help.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:
      Would you stop quoting people and editing the quoted message? You were warned back in post #68 and have yet to cease.

I might agree.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality post
      02:40, August 16, 2020
    • Is there going to be the community page on UCP? I would like this to be enabled on Tiffany Darwish Wiki in the future.

Loading editor
    • In the next release, can you make it so you can rename ranks on a wiki?

Loading editor
    • Great 

Loading editor
    • Sounds great! :D

Loading editor
    • Will Tabview and Poll return?

Loading editor
    • Cooky922 wrote: Will Tabview and Poll return?

I certainly hope so.

Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote:

Cooky922 wrote: Will Tabview and Poll return?

I certainly hope so.

and also the classic editor (want to make the layout back but only the designs).

Loading editor
    • Polls exist on the discussions platform.

Tabview may be retired, as it was problematic before too. But Tabbers remained.

Loading editor
    • This is the time I create a Navigation (template) for articles with subpages.

Loading editor
    • roblox wiki will be migrated to ucp

Loading editor
    • why no insights?

Loading editor
    • According to this, it only saw a little use. It wouldn't make sense to keep putting resources toward it according to the logic they're following.

(And I say that as someone who's still bitter they got rid of Monobook a few years back. DX)

Loading editor
    • Jrooksjr wrote: Wiki Admins can add specific categories to the achievement system to encourage edits to pages into those categories.

There are actually 2 of them, they're part of the "Secret Achievements" track. There's Pounce!, awarded for making edits on 100 pages within an hour of the page's creation. and Caffeinated!, awarded for making 100 edits on pages in a single day. There's also, Lucky Edit!, awarded for making the Lucky 1,000th edit on the wiki. Overall, I find achievements more likely to induce spam than legitimate edits. They're also very unreliable as a gauge of editor capability/activity. I'm hoping that there are some improvements coming to the Achievements system to be able to account for this.

Loading editor
    • Achievements

Loading editor
    • Vandraedha wrote:

Jrooksjr wrote: Wiki Admins can add specific categories to the achievement system to encourage edits to pages into those categories.

There are actually 2 of them, they're part of the "Secret Achievements" track. There's Pounce!, awarded for making edits on 100 pages within an hour of the page's creation. and Caffeinated!, awarded for making 100 edits on pages in a single day. There's also, Lucky Edit!, awarded for making the Lucky 1,000th edit on the wiki. Overall, I find achievements more likely to induce spam than legitimate edits. They're also very unreliable as a gauge of editor capability/activity. I'm hoping that there are some improvements coming to the Achievements system to be able to account for this.

I know of exactly one wiki that makes reasonable-to-good use of Achievements. (This is largely because most editors who are really sustainably interested in earning points there have come from the website the wiki is attached to, and that website has its own achievement system for things like editing its wiki that only rewards good and helpful editing, not the kind that would be badge collecting.)

Conversely, I had to contact staff to disable them on the wiki I admin because people were clearly editing just to get them. Minute they were turned off, those editors completely disappeared. They were WP:NOTHERE and all that.

Loading editor
    • Wooh, great update!

Loading editor
    • NOT HERE or NO THERE?

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp
      duplicate
      20:06, August 17, 2020
    • Either works.

Loading editor
    • "Not here" technically, (as in the "not here to" section of "here to build an encyclopedia")... but since it's a Wikipedia page and not a Wikia one... I suppose "no there" (as in "no(t) there to build an encyclopedia") wouldn't be *wrong*.

It's just the abbreviation I could shorthand the fastest for linking to that page. XD

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      low quality post
      01:47, August 18, 2020
    • What is the selection criteria for which wikis have Forum migrated first? Is there one or is it just random? For example, w:c:dev and w:c:transformers-legends both have a migration banner (appeared last Tuesday for Transformers Legends) but w:c:imotwom does not. I just don't see anything obvious that would group the first two together but not the third. Also, how far in advance does this banner appear. I know you said the UCP migration banner is now 2 weeks but is that the case for the Forum banner too?

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: What is the selection criteria for which wikis have Forum migrated first? Is there one or is it just random? For example, w:c:dev and w:c:transformers-legends both have a migration banner (appeared last Tuesday for Transformers Legends) but w:c:imotwom does not. I just don't see anything obvious that would group the first two together but not the third. Also, how far in advance does this banner appear. I know you said the UCP migration banner is now 2 weeks but is that the case for the Forum banner too?

The Forums communities without the banners are the ones with the most visitors, for whom we are engaging in direct communications. That's the difference.

Loading editor
    • I see. So it isn't necessarily that they are migrating later but that an alternative communication method is being used. Thanks for the clarification. As you can tell, I was very much confused by this.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: I see. So it isn't necessarily that they are migrating later but that an alternative communication method is being used. Thanks for the clarification. As you can tell, I was very much confused by this.

Oh, they're also migrating in the later batches.

Loading editor
    • What abut the I live in etc things, will they make it to the UCP?

Loading editor
    • Crunchy in fan kingdom wrote: What abut the I live in etc things, will they make it to the UCP?

No. They have been replaced with a general bio space that allows users more freedom to share what's important to them.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Crunchy in fan kingdom wrote: What abut the I live in etc things, will they make it to the UCP?

No. They have been replaced with a general bio space that allows users more freedom to share what's important to them.

Ight

Loading editor
    • Excuse me, but I still cannot understand the reason why Discussions were not developed initially on MediaWiki platform.

Loading editor
    • Gurte wrote: Excuse me, but I still cannot understand the reason why Discussions were not developed initially on MediaWiki platform.

We did that. It's called Forums. The modifications to MediaWiki code necessary to build the feature made updating the core software extremely difficult. Building Discussions as a separate product removes that barrier, allowing us to update at a far more rapid cadence.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Gurte wrote:

Excuse me, but I still cannot understand the reason why Discussions were not developed initially on MediaWiki platform.

We did that. It's called Forums. The modifications to MediaWiki code necessary to build the feature made updating the core software extremely difficult. Building Discussions as a separate product removes that barrier, allowing us to update at a far more rapid cadence.

Ummm... this is both evasive and does nothing to answer the question.

My version of the answer: FANDOM chose not to build Discussions on MediaWiki, because they didn't want to tie it to MediaWiki compatibility and they wanted to provide a better mobile experience that is usually lacking on most MediaWiki extensions. Most likely FANDOM never maintained any expertise in the Forum code-base as evidenced by almost no improvements or fixes over many years. Starting fresh was faster and their real customers (advertisers) don't care if it has MediaWiki/wikitext support.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Gurte wrote: Excuse me, but I still cannot understand the reason why Discussions were not developed initially on MediaWiki platform.

Hm. In my humble opinion, you needn't have developed Forums at all in this case. You should have built Discussions initially. You know, no one knew even about the possibility of retiring Forums and, as a consequence, many communities used much so wikitext in them that this migration really hurts them.

Can you explain me the reason why Forums cannot be transformed into DPL forums despite the fact they are both built on MediaWiki?

Loading editor
    • Umm... DPLforums should work on UCP already, so no need to "transform" anything... however FANDOM staff have already said they won't help migrating existing forums to DLPforum, so that is a dead end.

Trust me you're not going to get a straight answer from FANDOM staff... your question has already been asked many times in many forms.

Loading editor
    • They can. However, DPLforum is more like talk pages where everyone edits the same page and potentially each others' content. In comparison Forum/Discussions is post-based where each user can edit only their own content. You can migrate Forum content to DPLforum if you want but Fandom won't help you do it.

To that end, maybe I can finally get an answer to a question I asked a long while ago. Once the Forum content has been migrated, will the pages where the content is stored be deleted or will they be left intact? Even if they are deleted, will they remain accessible as deleted revisions?

I ask because this potentially has huge consequences for wikis wanting to move to DPLforum. If the original content is truly erased from the wiki, then they need to at least save it all before the conversion. If, however, the content is still accessible afterwards (either via deleted revisions or the continued existence of the pages themselves), then wikis can take their time because they can always retrieve the old content at a later date.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
      01:17, August 19, 2020
    • Gurte wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Gurte wrote: Excuse me, but I still cannot understand the reason why Discussions were not developed initially on MediaWiki platform.

Hm. In my humble opinion, you needn't have developed Forums at all in this case. You should have built Discussions initially. You know, no one knew even about the possibility of retiring Forums and, as a consequence, many communities used much so wikitext in them that this migration really hurts them.

Can you explain me the reason why Forums cannot be transformed into DPL forums despite the fact they are both built on MediaWiki?

Simply put, we don't have a conversion script to take Forums and reorganize it into DPLForums, like we do for Forums into Discussions, as built when Discussions launched.

We're happy to have wikis use DPLForums, if they so choose, but we don't have the capacity to migrate their Forum content to it.

Loading editor
    • And I also wonder if it is possible to update Discussions so that the language of buttons there depends on the language the user chose in his Preferences. You know, now Discussions have the language of wiki (regardless of the language chosen in Preferences), but this is only for English, Polish, Russian, Spanish, German, French, and some other main languages. For wikis in such languages as Ukrainian, Czech, Serbian etc., the buttons in Discussions are always in English, although not everyone knows it so well. On the other hand, native English speakers cannot choose English as language for displaying in Discussions for wikis in Russian, Spanish etc., though there are few English-speaking users who understand those languages as normally as English.

Loading editor
    • To MisterWoodhouse.

I want to ask if I can keep Surviv.io Idea Wiki (the wiki that I am the Founder of) to stay on the old platform, as a way to communicate with others. I don't want to make any FANDOM Staff member mad about this, but I just would rather have the old platform on it. Also, many members (including myself) can only use Classic Editor on pages, which Classic Editor is not found on UCP. FANDOM recently changed over Surviv.io Wiki to UCP and I found that all I could do to communicate is to comment and blog posts. Can't access Discussions on either platform and can't access my own Message Wall on the UCP. This is the reason why I ask if my wiki, Surviv.io Idea Wiki, can stay on the old platform. Thank u if u read all of this.

Sincerely, Trooper777123 FlameClan Specialist 13:00, August 19, 2020 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • ^ I'm sorry to say this, but every wiki currently on the Legacy platform will have tp inevitably migrate to the new platform someday with no exceptions.

Loading editor
    • Oof. This is hard to take. On the UCP, I can't access too much. Can't even access Message Walls, a big part of what I usually do. I am waiting for a responce from a Surviv.io Wiki B-Crat (TheSURVIVR) to reply to my message on his wall on my wiki. Lucky for me so far, Surviv.io Idea Wiki hasn't been chosen. I wish to ask, can Surviv.io Idea Wiki been the last, or atleast one of the last to be updated?

Sincerely, Trooper777123 FlameClan Specialist 13:21, August 19, 2020 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Yeah, Staff have already explained that no communities can stay on the old platform. Otherwise there would be too many communities wanting to remain on the old platform, and then problems would arise because they'd be stuck on a severely outdated platform forever.

Loading editor
    • At any rate, I've heard this wiki needs to be the last so even if you could dictate your place in line fine-grained like that, you definitely couldn't say "make me the last".

Other side note, Message Walls working like Discussions is making me think of switching them off--will probably play around with them briefly after the migration on the wiki I run, but if they don't meet needed use cases I'm not sure I can even put it up to community approval like I would typically want to with that kind of change.

Loading editor
    • OK, so the source editor in like https://survivio.fandom.com/wiki/Eye_Bunker is busted for me, with (in my typical 80% browser zoom and even if I change it to the default 100%), with the lines of text not even matching the display of where they are, and some useless boxes displaying around lines of text. (not to mention the fact that I hate how long it takes to load the now not just a raw-text editor (it was one of the best raw-text editors I knew of before UCP), and when I refresh the page it has to load the page first again and then the editor, rather than just loading the editor and just the editor)

Any idea how to fix this?

EDIT 45m Later: when I send a new message on my wall, they work normally, then I refresh the page (and even clear cache) and they're gone. Just gone. I can send messages to other people's walls, but not to my own, which is where I'd put some announcements about me (e.g. "I'm going on vacation" wouldn't go on every staff member/wiki user's wall, but on my own wall as that way if people come to ask where I am, they see it, and then other staff members are also following my wall so they'd get the notif anyways... or at least that's how I did it in the old platform). Is this a bug or a "we won't let people talk to themselves because they don't need to" type of thing?

Loading editor
    • What wiki do the messages on message walls disappear? Is it Survivio?

Loading editor
    • yeah

Loading editor
    • Update: works just fine for other users but not for me.

Loading editor
    • Since FANDOM doesn't support MP4s, I uploaded a video to google drive on it https://drive.google.com/file/d/1spw2skQn1zR-ThUSqZ6dxEzIbOXiankU/view?usp=sharing

I used the Ctrl+R hotkey to reload the page, and at the time of sending this message, opening it results in a "We're processing this video. Check back later or download the video now." message, might go away eventually.

Loading editor
    • The limited ability of customization of new Message Walls and Discussions is one of problems.

Loading editor
    • I have no clue how they will migrate the Greetings on Message Walls. They are highly customized.

Loading editor
    • Problems specific to a person often points to Ad Blocker or browser addon/extension issues.

Loading editor
    • What is going on with Darling Franxx wiki? If it’s because of the UCP, I wish it had stayed in its original platform because al comments and blogs have disappeared and I can’t use the search button on the far right to locate pages because it’s gone too (along with my profile button and notifications buttons). Is this temporary or permanent because I don’t like it.

I don’t have an ad blocker and don’t seem to have any extension issues.

Loading editor
    • yeah, like all the old messages on my wall are gone

I mean, I don't have an ad-blocker or anything, my extensions are all visible in the video (which is now working just fine at the link)

Loading editor
    • Might have been temporary--I see blogs on your account, at least.

Loading editor
    • Will Message Wall messages be saved as like Forum messages? If not, would it be possible to save them? And why can't message wall greetings be a feature in UCP wikis? If there's nothing preventing greetings from being a part of UCP, would it be possible to put it on UCP?

Loading editor
    • It's possible that maybe wikis might become accessible before all their content is 100% migrated when it comes to things like walls and such?

That's a guess because I am also missing all my message wall history and I've just noticed my wiki has been migrated. (That might explain why you can't post to yours, too, if they're still doing behind the scenes work on it, though that's more conjecture-y than a solid theory on my part.)

Loading editor
    • It says 5 posts on my profile but my blogs are gone

Loading editor
    • Are not posts for discussions?

Loading editor
    • GlacyGlace wrote:

Will Message Wall messages be saved as like Forum messages? If not, would it be possible to save them? And why can't message wall greetings be a feature in UCP wikis? If there's nothing preventing greetings from being a part of UCP, would it be possible to put it on UCP?

Message Wall Greetings may come in a future update. I don't remember FANDOM staff saying the will never support them, just it obviously isn't a priority right now.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

GlacyGlace wrote:

Will Message Wall messages be saved as like Forum messages? If not, would it be possible to save them? And why can't message wall greetings be a feature in UCP wikis? If there's nothing preventing greetings from being a part of UCP, would it be possible to put it on UCP?

Message Wall Greetings may come in a future update. I don't remember FANDOM staff saying the will never support them, just it obviously isn't a priority right now.

Alright, good to know

Loading editor
    • Fandom is so laggy now

Loading editor
    • Endangered Cookies wrote: Fandom is so laggy now

ikr

Loading editor
    • Yeah it takes forever to load certain pages such as Special:Contribs.

Also, are talk pages still a thing in UCP?

Loading editor
    • Gaia94 wrote: Yeah it takes forever to load certain pages such as Special:Contribs.

Yes, you can choose tak pages instead of Message Walls.

Loading editor
    • Oof

Loading editor
    • Gurte wrote:

Gaia94 wrote: Yeah it takes forever to load certain pages such as Special:Contribs.

Which page do you go to to do that? Nvm

Loading editor
    • Gaia94 wrote:

Gurte wrote:

Gaia94 wrote: Yeah it takes forever to load certain pages such as Special:Contribs.

Which page do you go to to do that?

Wiki Features as usual.

Loading editor
    • Special:AdminDashboard. You need to be an admin or bcrat to edit it though

Loading editor
    • Ik BUT my whole fandom's glitching and all my text disappears when I press edit so I have to cancel and refresh like 3 times 😭

Loading editor
    • Alright, why did ALL wikis change except this one?

Loading editor
    • Because it takes time to convert wikis and it was decided that this one would be the last one to migrate to the new platform. They are still in the process to migrating wikis so some wikis have already been migrated and others have not. That is just how things are when change is in progress; it doesn't happen at the snap of the fingers.

Loading editor
    • But I think it's still so early… and more especially, TOO early to migrate all wikis into UCP.

Loading editor
    • Most users here on Community Central would agree with you. Unfortunately, we don't get the final say in the matter.

Loading editor
    • Since the UCP is not yet complete, we can wait the missing features to be deployed.

Loading editor
    • Personally I think it is too early for certain wikis to be migrated. Especially since certain wikis still haven't fully prepared themselves for migration.

Loading editor
    • Crunchy in fan kingdom wrote: Alright, why did ALL wikis change except this one?

Putting aside that not all wikis have changed yet (a wiki I frequent is still waiting, and my test wiki, despite my volunteering it for early migration, doesn't even have the banner):

The specific answer I heard (past just "it was decided this one would be last") is that this wiki has tendrils that stretch out to every wiki on the farm, so it needs to be done last lest anything it do to other wikis become incompatible if it goes earlier than them.

Loading editor
    • That wiki was already moved. And second will be (idk, but you have no forums, nor discussions).

Loading editor
    • ...Who are you replying to?

Loading editor
    • You

Loading editor
    • Okay, but if you're replying to the "not all wikis have been moved" part of my prior post (which wasn't the main point of the post anyhow) by using the wikis in my bio, you've got what I'm thinking about wrong:

• Wreck-It Ralph Wiki (a wiki I sysop) has been moved, you're right (cool, but not relevant to my prior post)
      • Habitica Wiki (a wiki I frequent) has the banner for being moved, so it'll be moved soon, you're right (and they don't have forums nor discussions because they just were never migrated to discussions and they chose to disable Special:Forum in favor of the uses they were using DPLforum for)
      • Citrus Test Wiki (a wiki I use for testing big changes to wikis I work on somewhere else in case they screw something up and which is not in my bio because I deliberately removed it) doesn't even have the banner (I wonder if this is because of something that happened with that wiki recently that I had to contact staff about that maybe pushed it off the table for earlier migration, because I wanted it to migrate before WIR Wiki)

I was not talking about WIR and Habitica. I was talking about Habitica and Citrus Test.

Loading editor
    • ThePokegeek5000 wrote:
      yeah, like all the old messages on my wall are gone----

I mean, I don't have an ad-blocker or anything, my extensions are all visible in the video (which is now working just fine at the link)

Same with the old comments on the pages, Poke. Made that clear on DEagle 50.

Edit: Wait, the old comments r back.

Loading editor
    • Cooky922 wrote:
      Since the UCP is not yet complete, we can wait the missing features to be deployed.

Sorry for farming here, but I would rather have my wiki to be postponed from being updated until all the major problems r fixed. btw, can FANDOM make it to where Message Walls aren't too close to being the same thing as Discussions? I need to be able to use my Message Wall here.

Loading editor
    • Stuff like that is why I was saying maybe the wikis' UCP version became accessible before the migration of posts was finished. Blogs and message wall posts are showing for WIR Wiki, too, when the latter were missing yesterday. (I can't verify article comments--we switched those off and the rail stuff for wiki features I heard was supposed to be available in Admin Dashboard isn't displaying so I couldn't even turn it on to check (even if I shut off my personal CSS/JS entirely, so I know that's not the issue).

Loading editor
    • Citrusellaeditswikis wrote: Okay, but if you're replying to the "not all wikis have been moved" part of my prior post (which wasn't the main point of the post anyhow) by using the wikis in my bio, you've got what I'm thinking about wrong:

• Wreck-It Ralph Wiki (a wiki I sysop) has been moved, you're right (cool, but not relevant to my prior post)
      • Habitica Wiki (a wiki I frequent) has the banner for being moved, so it'll be moved soon, you're right
      • Citrus Test Wiki (a wiki I use for testing big changes to wikis I work on somewhere else in case they screw something up and which is not in my bio because I deliberately removed it) doesn't even have the banner (I wonder if this is because of something that happened with that wiki recently that I had to contact staff about that maybe pushed it off the table for earlier migration, because I wanted it to migrate before WIR Wiki)

I was not talking about WIR and Habitica. I was talking about Habitica and Citrus Test.

That Citrus Test Wiki has Forums. So, this is why. Also, i see other extensions, which are not regular. What Wiki features you've requested?

Loading editor
    • u mean RailWAM. idk if it's available on UCP wikis yet. It barely works for my wiki, Surviv.io Idea Wiki.

Loading editor
    • (is not RailWAM JS code?) @Trooper777123:

Loading editor
    • Oh i forgot, MediaGallery wikis won't move

Loading editor
    • (for now)

Loading editor
    • Trooper777123 wrote: u mean RailWAM. idk if it's available on UCP wikis yet. It barely works for my wiki, Surviv.io Idea Wiki.

Am I talking about RailWAM? I was referring to what Help:Unified Community Platform#Special:WikiFeatures says, which is the following (emphasis mine):

"This Special page does not exist on the UCP. However, admins can still turn specific extensions on and off for their wikis. These toggles are now located directly in the right rail of the Admin Dashboard."

To my knowledge, RailWAM is an extra script, which I do not have installed on the wiki I admin, and which appears to have not been updated for UCP (yet). The features would not be an extra script so I'm just confused as to where the sidebar with them in it is on Admin Dashboard, because it's not there.

EDIT: My issue was some stray display:none in my personal CSS I thought I'd turned off.

TreeIsLife wrote: That Citrus Test Wiki has Forums. So, this is why. Also, i see other extensions, which are not regular. What Wiki features you've requested?

??? No, it doesn't? And I've never enabled any special extensions, because all I've ever used that wiki for is testing some AWB stuff (which is not an extension) and coding Monobook CSS for a different wiki.

Loading editor
    • Trooper777123, the new message walls are likely to remain very Discussions-like. On the legacy platform, article comments, blog comments, and message walls use the same backend as Forum. On UCP wikis, they use the same backend as Discussions (Forum's replacement).

I have talked with the creator of RailWAM and they said they are working on a completely new version of the script. I am guessing they aren't going to bother updated the current version given that they are planning on completely replacing it anyways. You can see their statement at the end of this section on the script's talk page.

Loading editor
    • How come I have my list of fav. Wikis that are on my profile and the envelope notification button visible on other wikis but neither of these i don’t see anymore on the DITF wiki?

Loading editor
    • By "DITF", I assume you mean "Darling in the Franxx"? That wiki has been migrated to UCP. UCP does not have those features. The envelope icon in the global navigation is used for Forum which is being retired; even before all wiki change to UCP. The "favorite wikis" (along with most of the other sections) in the masthead have been replaced with a singular freeform section. Although, I am not sure how this singular freeform section differs from the legacy platform's "bio" section.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      By "DITF", I assume you mean "Darling in the Franxx"? That wiki has been migrated to UCP. UCP does not have those features. The envelope icon in the global navigation is used for Forum which is being retired; even before all wiki change to UCP. The "favorite wikis" (along with most of the other sections) in the masthead have been replaced with a singular freeform section. Although, I am not sure how this singular freeform section differs from the legacy platform's "bio" section.

duuuuddddeeeee........... thats such a long word wall, pls

Loading editor
    • What is hallening?

Loading editor
    • PolishTheTortuga wrote: What is hallening?

Oops I typo

Loading editor
    • PolishTheTortuga wrote:

PolishTheTortuga wrote: What is hallening?

Oops I typo

It's OK. It happens to everyone.

Loading editor
    • Our wiki will be migrated in the next few weeks? Does it mean 1 to 3 weeks after now?

Loading editor
    • Yes. From August 13 at least 2 weeks, so first of them may be on August 27.

Loading editor
    • I think the wiki I admin got the banner on August 12 or 13. It was migrated by August 19. So I'd assume it could happen anytime within the next "few weeks" even if it's, like, 6 days or like 2-3 weeks instead.

Loading editor
    • Assuming the Semantic MediaWiki will come in next few weeks

Loading editor
    • There’s a UCP bug I just found. When I go on my profile, I would look on the top-right, and I don’t have the bell where I would check my notifications, It’s not there and I would have to go to a legacy wiki to see it, and there’s hardly any left.

Loading editor
    • Okay, pls, do not link to your profile 10 times. But messages has been removed, so you see only bell. So that's not bug.

Loading editor
    • Also, "hardly any left"... just go here. "c.fandom.com" is a redirect so you can just change it easily in the url.

Loading editor
    • Ironically all those links are wrong, since they link to CC profile which is not a UCP wiki.

Loading editor
    • Quote: "Let's dump the puck into the zone and chase it with some highlights."

Slapshot to FAMDOM -- I applaud Badges and I love gaming, but keeping the Leaderboard as it currently exists is a bad idea. How was this turnabout decision made after deprecating the code and originally intending to let the element die? Were editors consulted? I don't recall that and I've been a wiki editor since 2013.

If modernization and evolution is the goal of the UCP, the recognition of editors should likewise modernize and evolve from competition to collaboration. I would love to see Phase 2 eliminate the Leaderboard in favor of only giving Recognition Badges, which are great because they can be earned by anyone and often allow new editors to grow into regular editors because it doesn't have the overlay of one-upping someone else nor attracts that kind of person who, in my experience, makes a community less enjoyable by being overly-competitive or by making meaningless edits for the sake of earning "points." This does not promote Community.

I can personally attest to the lack of a Leaderboard leading to new editors becoming regular editors because there is no pecking order. However, if a Leaderboard must be present, I hope it will reset on a weekly/monthly basis to give all editors an equal shot at gaining an honorable rank and prominence within the wiki's topic. The Leaderboard could also be multi-tracked with individual honorees for text, images, blogging, etc. That would be a fairer recognition system that honors all types and levels of editors. Moreover, leaving old rankings to stand usually leads to editors who have achieved a wanted rank "sitting on their laurels" instead of actively editing. That's neither fair nor encouraging to newer editors.

I sincerely hope that this concept of encouraging editors via personal recognition (i.e. badges) without competition (i.e. Leaderboards that do not reset) is seriously considered and not ignored. I respectfully request a response. Thank you.

Angelle

Loading editor
    • Please start a new thread about this... putting it in the comments of a Technical Update is the wrong place.

Loading editor
    • Which board would be best? Angelle 18:12, August 21, 2020 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • General or New Features... it's technically not new (supposedly a port of Gamepedia version), but the implementation is new to FANDOM.

Loading editor
    • Thank you.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality post
      03:49, August 22, 2020
    • Noreplyz
      reply to removed post
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality post
    • @ZachLEGOHarryPotter: Please, discuss here about UCP Highlights. See Special:Forum.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
      03:51, August 22, 2020
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
    • Noreplyz
      Low quality post
    • Well, this happens, when discussion is too long, unfortunatly. I see, that mamy wikis were moved earlier, then Fandom promised. But UCP is not something really different from your day-to-day experience.

Because after Phase 1, Phase 2 will come and it will change more then UCPs Phase 1. Phase 1 is all about merging 2 platforms, Phase 2 is for design features.

Loading editor
    • Ah, this is good to know. Perhaps discussions like these will be taken into consideration. Thanks for the info. Angelle 13:22, August 22, 2020 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Well there's nothing we can do to stop the migration from happening. But we might be able to help in determining what improvements are made as a result of migrating, depending on what improvements we think should be made as a priority. While it doesn't sound like we'll ever get Chat back, I wouldn't totally give up on there being a potential alternative feature in the future.

Loading editor
    • This is why those individuals who actually have constructive suggestions should send them to FANDOM. Even if not adopted, you are helping the platform to evolve by providing potential positives. Angelle 15:01, August 22, 2020 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote: Well there's nothing we can do to stop the migration from happening. But we might be able to help in determining what improvements are made as a result of migrating, depending on what improvements we think should be made as a priority. While it doesn't sound like we'll ever get Chat back, I wouldn't totally give up on there being a potential alternative feature in the future.

Liar! We can stop the evil migration by shutting it down.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: [...]

Starting with the following batch of wikis, banner notices for upcoming migrations to the UCP will be enabled at least 2 weeks ahead of time (absent special circumstances). This follows feedback from admins about needing a little more notice to prepare.

So wikis that received the banner around or before the 13th very well may not have been given 2 weeks.

Loading editor
    • The wiki I admin had maybe a week, but I think it was 6 days. It was given the banner around then. Checks out.

174.57.196.174 wrote: Liar! We can stop the evil migration by shutting it down.

What's "evil" about it, again? I for one LOVE being on a version of MediaWiki that's not half a decade out of date.

Loading editor
    • Citrusellaeditswikis wrote:
      The wiki I admin had maybe a week, but I think it was 6 days. It was given the banner around then. Checks out.

174.57.196.174 wrote: Liar! We can stop the evil migration by shutting it down.

What's "evil" about it, again? I for one LOVE being on a version of MediaWiki that's not half a decade out of date.

think what he means is he dosent want fandom to only focus on being a communication service, and to not remove so mnay features that could easily be updated.

Loading editor
    • I would be interested to know what you basis for using the term "easily" is.

Loading editor
    • Mendes2
      Mendes2 removed this reply because:
      Offtopic
      23:24, August 22, 2020
    • 174.57.196.174 wrote:

C.Syde65 wrote: Well there's nothing we can do to stop the migration from happening. But we might be able to help in determining what improvements are made as a result of migrating, depending on what improvements we think should be made as a priority. While it doesn't sound like we'll ever get Chat back, I wouldn't totally give up on there being a potential alternative feature in the future.

There's no point in denying it. You're essentially beating a dead horse.

Loading editor
    • Am I just blind? I have searched high and low for the new site, or program, or anything, but can't find it? I was using the Touken Ranbu wiki to gain info and images for some designs for a FB group, but now almost all the info has moved, and I don't know where??? Frankly until I could no longer find the information (today) I didn't even notice the banner saying that the wikis will move, so I have no idea which thread is the correct one and I would really prefer to not have to read every thread since March so find anything...

Loading editor
    • 97.83.169.80 wrote: Am I just blind? I have searched high and low for the new site, or program, or anything, but can't find it? I was using the Touken Ranbu wiki to gain info and images for some designs for a FB group, but now almost all the info has moved, and I don't know where??? Frankly until I could no longer find the information (today) I didn't even notice the banner saying that the wikis will move, so I have no idea which thread is the correct one and I would really prefer to not have to read every thread since March so find anything...

Maybe Help:UCP will help?

Loading editor
    • 174.57.196.174 wrote:

C.Syde65 wrote: Well there's nothing we can do to stop the migration from happening. But we might be able to help in determining what improvements are made as a result of migrating, depending on what improvements we think should be made as a priority. While it doesn't sound like we'll ever get Chat back, I wouldn't totally give up on there being a potential alternative feature in the future.

What’s so evil about the migration? They wouldn’t ever, ever add any updates or migration that wouldn’t be a good addition to our wikis

Loading editor

174.57.196.174 wrote:

What’s so evil about the migration? They wouldn’t ever, ever add any updates or migration that wouldn’t be a good addition to our wikis

(constantly making less space for info and more for ads)

(removing forums, which could be fixed and recoded)

Loading editor
    • Not to mention the editor is horrendous

Loading editor
    • MRReddish wrote:

PolishTheTortuga wrote:

174.57.196.174 wrote:

Fine, I’m not a BIG fan of that, but hopefully, they start making it easier to be doing again

Loading editor
    • The editor is admittedly inferior to the legacy version. And I do agree that the adds are unnecessary (for us users at least) Personally I feel that adds should be hidden for logged in users, even on the main page.

Loading editor
    • Ads are annoying. But ads keep the lights on, mostly.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I just wish there was a way they could keep the lights on without interfering with our cause.

Loading editor
    • MRReddish wrote:

PolishTheTortuga wrote:

174.57.196.174 wrote:

Forums were made on MediaWiki, this extension is too complicated to maintain, as it makes hard to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.33. This is reason, why Gamepedia have only small problems with upgrading to newer MediaWiki versions.

Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote: The editor is admittedly inferior to the legacy version. And I do agree that the adds are unnecessary (for us users at least) Personally I feel that adds should be hidden for logged in users, even on the main page.

? How do yout think Fandom and Gamepedia will make money, if there were no ads on wikis? This is why on everyday Wikipedia there are many message, why you should donate to Wikimedia. But there are only 8 developers, idk, if they are working outside work, or it is their work, but most donates goes to domain hosting and for buying servers.

Loading editor
    • But what i got from staff, Fandom will probably start be using Gamepedia PRO (it is still, however, not confirmed).

Loading editor
    • TreeIsLife wrote: But what i got from staff, Fandom will probably start be using Gamepedia PRO (it is still, however, not confirmed).

I've heard the opposite.

Loading editor
    • TreeIsLife wrote: But what i got from staff, Fandom will probably start be using Gamepedia PRO (it is still, however, not confirmed).

Who told you that?

Loading editor

Many people don't use Gamepedia PRO.

Loading editor
    • XTeodor12 wrote:

TreeIsLife wrote: But what i got from staff, Fandom will probably start be using Gamepedia PRO (it is still, however, not confirmed).

Ok

Loading editor

XTeodor12 wrote:

TreeIsLife wrote: But what i got from staff, Fandom will probably start be using Gamepedia PRO (it is still, however, not confirmed).

Ok

What about Gamepedia users?

Loading editor
    • I heard the same thing about possible adding Gamepedia Pro to Fandom wikis. However, that was a while ago. To summarize, there are 4 main categories for how something like Fandom can be funded.

1. Ad revenue
      2. Charge users a subscription to have an account
      3. Charge users a subscription to have a wiki
      4. Ask for donations

My understanding is that Gamepedia Pro is an ad-free experience that users can either purchase or earn though meeting certain wiki contribution criteria.

Loading editor