FANDOM

• Is there a way to make a template (or is there an already existing template) that someone could add (say, to something like a user page) that presents a user's live main edit count (the edit count of actual pages on the wiki), i.e., an edit count that doesn't include forum/discussion posts/comments, article comments, message wall posts, etc.?

Loading editor
    • There is no live count. Any solution with Magic words would require an edit or null edit to update the number.

Loading editor
    • {{Special:Editcount/Bloodfrost of the IceWings/Main}}

It does not work on the thread but it'll work on a page.

It's not "live" but it'll be refreshed hourly or daily, depending.

Also, if it's a UCP wiki, it may not work yet.

Loading editor
    • HumansCanWinElves wrote:

{{Special:Editcount/Bloodfrost of the IceWings/Main}}

It does not work on the thread but it'll work on a page.

It's not "live" but it'll be refreshed hourly or daily, depending.

Also, if it's a UCP wiki, it may not work yet.

Thank you, that is what I'm looking for (even if it's not live). Thanks!

Loading editor
    • It's not as cared about by me, but a friend wants to know if it's possible to have this edit count display the main edit count of the user on the page. I tried replacing the username part with <span class="insertusername">{{{1|Anon}}}</span>, but I was correct to not expect that to work. Do you know a way to do that? (In case it's helpful, this is the wiki that this would be used on.)

Loading editor
    • As it appears, the Editcount can show the count of the user who view it, with
      {{Special:Editcount/User}}
      but merging this with choosing a namespace does not work.

The class="insertusername" cannot help at all because it only views the user name and does not insert it to the code.

However, if you place it on the Profile page or on the message wall greeting of a user, this code should display the count of this user:
      {{Special:Editcount/{{PAGENAME}}/Main}}
      You can put this code in template and use it in such a page.
        Loading editor
    • Nice! I had no idea you could use "User" as the username. Too bad it doesn't work with specifying the namespace.

To expand on why inputusername doesn't work, it is because that is done using custom JS. Custom JS is run at the time the page is loaded by the viewer after the MediaWiki core has already rendered most of the page. The transclusion of the edit count is done during the page rendering before the JS runs. Therefore, the information inserted by the custom JS is not available to the page at the time it tries to retrieve the edit count.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.