FANDOM

• Greetings FANDOM users and affiliates,

I truly understand that the Unified Community Platform is currently under construction. There are limitless amounts of MediaWiki features that can be added to said platform. Therefore, it is in my (and our) best interest to create a(n unofficial) suggestion thread.

With that being said, what features would you like to see on UCP? What feature should change?

Note: We all know that Blogs and Badges are coming.

Loading editor
    • I would like an image based category viewing mode like Category Exhibition to appear on the UCP wikis, for example, this will make it easier for users to find certain characters by their faces due to the larger images and focus on the images rather than the category name.

Loading editor
    • To clarify, what they mean when they say badges (extension name is Achievements) are being ported is that credit users currently have won't be completely wiped out when they change to the new system. Various comments indicate that the new achievements system will at most be working off of the current Gamepedia system. So achievements definitely will work differently.

Are we talking about anything we want or just about things we want that are likely to happen? There are a lot of things I would like but most of them probably aren't happening; some have been confirmed to not be happening.

Loading editor
    • We are speaking in the context of talking about any reasonable feature we would like to have on the new platform. I am aware the likelihood we will receive said features will be low.

Loading editor
      • Chat. Only sort of kidding. I want to have to log into another platform to chat.
      • Discussions post pinning or highlighting.
      • More mobile skin customization.
      • Being able to track new-style comments and related changes somewhere like Recent Changes.
      • Being able to track new-style message wall changes somewhere like Recent Changes.
      • Blogs.
      • So much more... but this is a start.
        Loading editor
    • Yes, I really don't like the removal of Chat. I really don't want to have to log into several sites just to participate in a single community.

As for Feeds, I also things more integration with the wiki is needed. Even with what we have so far, it is still mostly a separate platform. I mean, you can't even share images between the two even though they are all stored on the same server. Also, the inability to link to posts is a real issue in my opinion.

Loading editor
    • I would really love it if they merged the Discussions profiles with the wiki profiles, as it would be easier to moderate as it uses one page instead of two.

Another feature that would be great is making Mobile have more design parity with the Desktop version, such as allowing Theme Designer colours to show up on mobile, or adding more JS compatibility.

And as Fandy said, pinning posts in Discussions is really helpful as most users on our wiki are on Discussions. But what would be even better is an overhaul to moderation on Discussions, such as more moderation choices on profiles. The biggest problem on Discussions is that users can't delete their own posts, so we have to delete them ourselves as they'll probably clog up the reporting queue. And with reporting, it would be helpful if there was a dedicated report button beside the menu of the post instead of being hidden in it.

Really, most of my complaints of UCP are the lack of some custom features and Discussions having lacking moderation tools.

Loading editor
    • I would love for there to be more integration between wiki and Discussions, but given their stated philosophy of less integration instead of more, it seemed like a bridge too far.

Some more suggestions:

• Polls, but better than legacy solutions.
      • Better tabber built-in functionality or a maintained and integrated extension.
      • A public version of starter.fandom.com for UCP.
      • Discussions tags that don't need to be existing wiki pages... of all the stupid integrations and not allowing others.
      • More control over top right wiki pages displayed in Explore area of right rail on Discussions.
      • UI to suppress Announcement notifications from wikis you mistakenly edited on.
      • A Discussions link at right side of menus on when in the wiki, not stupid Main Page link on the Main Page.
      • Special:MultiUpload available by default or at least with a switch.
      • I could go on for days...
        Loading editor
      1. I thought Tabber is still maintained. It isn't a custom feature so it's not like Fandom has to handle that on its own.
      2. Is that not what ucp.fandom.com is?
        Loading editor
      1. Tabber is sort of maintained... it is pretty buggy and most bugs never get fixed.
      2. As far as I know ucp.fandom.com is for temporary transclusion in place of CC, but doesn't represent the state of a new wiki (it couldn't be if it was a transclusion host like CC which has footers and stuff you wouldn't want on just any new wiki), unlike starter.fandom.com which is basically static most of the time and can be used as a reference for what a new wiki would contain.
        Loading editor
    • Talking about tabs, it would be nice if Fandom revamped the portable infobox code to be able to handle nested panels/sections.

Loading editor
    • Yeah... built-in tab switching infobox (show different infobox looks based on top set of tabs) would be nice too, but not really UCP related (I hope).

Loading editor
    • I'm thinking FANDOM could port a version of MediaWikiChat as a feature that must be enabled by Staff, but that would still take up a lot of resources.

Loading editor
    • Better link... Extension:MediaWikiChat... yeah that seems like a decent replacement. It isn't any better, really, but better than nothing.

Loading editor
    • It looks like it isn't maintained so I don't think Fandom would agree to add it. But I would be happy to be wrong about that.

Loading editor
    • I really hate how they forcefully shoved the UCP for the newer wikis while the platform is still in development stages. I don't give a damn about the aesthetics they put. All that matters to me is that it has the same or better functionalities than the classical. The only people I see supporting this project is the fanatics who loves everything that comes off their updates.

Loading editor
    • The conflict between the desires of viewers and the desired of editors has been around for a long time. Fandom makes money from ads and thus from viewers. So of course they are going to focus more on the viewers' opinions and preferences than the options of editors. Viewers care about the content and how it looks; not how hard it is for editors to put the content up.

Loading editor
    • Discussions moderation tools need a significant overhaul, and there's some quality of life improvements the discussions need in general.

On the moderation end, the current app does not offer access to insights or reported posts. Desktop, mobile browser, and even the old apps offered moderation tools which are currently missing on the discussions app. As it is, mods cannot rely on the app to actually moderate, and it makes it necessary to hold onto the older, unsupported apps because of features which have since been lost or opening the site on mobile, which completely defeats the point of having an app in the first place.

There is also a lack of an audit log/history for moderation actions taken. Ostensibly moderators should be trustworthy users who can be given the tools to help maintain a health community... but this is also the internet, and sometime folks with a taste of authority realize how easy it is to exploit it. One such problem is that the number of moderator actions is tracked, but a log of exactly what those actions were is not available. 100 actions could just as easily be deleting 100 spambot posts, or it could be deleting and undeleting the same post just as many times. The lack of a page history also means when a mod adds or removes text, there is no record of what was originally said in the post vs what was altered by the mod.

Some general quality of life improvements would be a better listing of posts made. The infinite scroll with no page breaks makes it nearly impossible to go back any length of time at a reasonable pace. There is also a lack of a search bar, which does not help in finding old or similar posts. Curiously, we can tag articles when making a post, but there is no option to even search by those tags. If you know what you are doing, you can finagle a way to browse them, but its not possible on the app and is far, far too cumbersome to have ever been the intent.

Loading editor
    • I totally agree that pinning discussions posts would be a great feature. And even though I've come to accept that wikitext may not be an option, I look forward to seeing a mobile equivalent. I would seriously recommend making some improvements to the UCP source editor as soon as possible, particularly when editing CSS and JavaScript pages.

Because the space bar doesn't add an extra space when the margin stretches out after reaching 1,000 lines of code. And because of that I constantly have to backspace when accidentally putting spaces in the wrong places. I have already reported the bug and hope to see it fixed as soon as possible.

It would be great if there was like a theme designer equivalent for Discussions, because it sucks to not have more control over the appearance of Discussions, since the appearance of Discussions is automatically determined by the colours in Special:ThemeDesigner.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Better link... Extension:MediaWikiChat... yeah that seems like a decent replacement. It isn't any better, really, but better than nothing.

I've used that extension on Miraheze. And it is admittedly quite terrible compared to the one I've come to love here on Fandom. The emojis also don't work, even though I followed the instructions on how to set them up. The extension is very buggy and has problems.

Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

Better link... Extension:MediaWikiChat... yeah that seems like a decent replacement. It isn't any better, really, but better than nothing.

I've used that extension on Miraheze. And it is admittedly quite terrible compared to the one I've come to love here on Fandom. The emojis also don't work, even though I followed the instructions on how to set them up. The extension is very buggy and has problems.

Well, I guess it wouldn't be that good then. MediaWiki has always been weak in the social media features area and no one in the dev community seems to want to work on it. I guess we didn't realize how good the "bad" FANDOM chat was.

Loading editor
    • Well, there goes even more hope for an on-platform chat feature. It seems like the only yet slim hope now is that Fandom finds some way to fenagle Feeds into a chat-like format.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Well, I guess it wouldn't be that good then. MediaWiki has always been weak in the social media features area and no one in the dev community seems to want to work on it. I guess we didn't realize how good the "bad" FANDOM chat was.

Yeah, the social media features that I've enabled on Miraheze are admittedly disappointing. I just have them enabled because "they'll do". That's one of the reasons I could never leave Fandom even if I wanted to.

Loading editor
    • Be sure to submit any feedback you have to staff. This thread is for discussion among users, not submitting feedback.

Loading editor
    • I'm doing both, don't worry.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.