FANDOM

• Say for example, could 343 Industries build their own Wiki on Fandom for their Halo property?

Many thanks x

Loading editor
    • Not sure about this, but there are wikis who have partnerships with the companies. For example, the Grey’s Anatomy wiki is an official wiki with ABC.

However, if a wiki already exists on a certain topic, I doubt the company could create their own. Fandom is now preventing the creation of wikis on duplicate topics.

Loading editor
    • Mendes2
      Mendes2 removed this reply because:
      Offtopic
      16:39, July 26, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • Αεοη δαηεζζζζζζζ wrote:
      wrryuo

What? 

Loading editor
    • Don't worry about that guy, he does that everywhere.

Keep in mind that if you build a wiki before publication, it's out in the open.

Loading editor
    • In short, yes. However, the content of the wiki is treated no differently from fan-based wikis. In general, this means that the content is licensed under CC-by-SA and the wiki must be open for both viewing and editing by the public. If a company wishes to have a different arrangement, then they must speak to Fandom directly about a possible exception to the general policy.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      In short, yes. However, the content of the wiki is treated no differently from fan-based wikis. In general, this means that the content is licensed under CC-by-SA and the wiki must be open for both viewing and editing by the public. If a company wishes to have a different arrangement, then they must speak to Fandom directly about a possible exception to the general policy.

Thanks, I figured that would be the case. 

(Forgive me, very new.) The creator of a wiki however has primary control of the content and who can make edits and pages though right? 

Loading editor
    • Anyone should be able to edit your wiki - you can block users and/or protect pages for specific reasons, but you cannot prevent people (say... under the "administrator" level) from editing. A founder will have as many right as a bureaucrat, and can have these rights removed if they abandon the wiki and someone adopts it. Often, the type of content will be mentioned in the wiki name - a founder/admin can ensure that the information added is accurate, pages are styled to their liking, etc.

Loading editor
    • Danielroxheaps wrote:
      Anyone should be able to edit your wiki - you can block users and/or protect pages for specific reasons, but you cannot prevent people (say... under the "administrator" level) from editing. A founder will have as many right as a bureaucrat, and can have these rights removed if they abandon the wiki and someone adopts it. Often, the type of content will be mentioned in the wiki name - a founder/admin can ensure that the information added is accurate, pages are styled to their liking, etc.

So, hypothetically, say I created an entirely fleshed out wiki for my universe. But I didnt allow anyone else to add/edit. Or I stopped updating it. What would happen to it? Who removes these rights and decides who else should take over?

Loading editor
    • If you didn't allow anyone else to edit, any user wanting to edit would simply contact staff and reverse the protection.

Loading editor
    • If you were to stop updating it, it would lay abandoned until either someone adopts the wiki, or the wiki is closed for inactivity (if it aends up having 0 views).

Loading editor
    • In the case of another user adopting the wiki. your permissions would be removed and they would be given full permissions.

If you want to control who can edit, then you would need to use a different platform to host your site. Fandom uses MediaWiki to run its wikis. Two major alternatives that also use MediaWiki are Miraheze and ShoutWiki. Both of these alternatives would allow you to restrict editing. Fandom, however, does not.

Loading editor
    • Mendes2
      Mendes2 removed this reply because:
      Offtopic
      17:12, July 28, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.