FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    New thread time
    18:40, August 13, 2020

Happy Thursday, gang!

This afternoon, I pause to reflect how we would be getting to see the Opening Ceremonies of the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games today if not for the current health crisis. I know we'll reconvene to enjoy the games next year, but it's sad to see the day come and go without the Olympic spirit on full display.

With that, on to release highlights...

Change to the UCP Editor UI

Thanks to awesome feedback from all of you, great iteration from our Design team, and brilliant execution by our engineers, we have revamped part of the editor workflow to be more streamlined.

You'll notice that the edit summary modal has been removed and the actions from that modal have been moved to the bottom of the editor, along with the Save button. Summary, See Changes, Preview, Cancel, and Save now live at the bottom of the screen.

I'm told that Firefox's accessibility checker now rates the UCP Editor as accessible following this change. It's just another step on our road to having a more accessible platform for more people.

Syntax Highlighting fix

Thanks to Himmalerin and others, the syntax highlighting toggle bug has been corrected and you can now turn it back on properly if you turn it off. Cheers!

Wiki-specific JS

Now available on the UCP! If your wiki doesn't have it enabled already, please contact Fandom Staff. Update: unfortunately, we've run into one more blocker on this - but we anticipate it being fixed fairly quickly!

Update on the renaming

The Great Confluence of Names (AKA Login Systems Merger) is still ongoing. We ran into some snags last night and we're cleaning them up now. It should be done shortly, allowing one account to cover Fandom, Wikia.org, and Gamepedia, while also letting Gamepedia-primary users to unlink from Twitch for the first time in a few years.

Thanks for your patience on this one. It's been a very difficult piece of the UCP project to crack.

Upcoming items

The first wave of Discussions enhancements are approaching final testing.

Work on the UCP version of Blogs continues.

Semantic MediaWiki has entered initial compatibility testing.

Loading editor
    • The new UI is an improvement!

Loading editor
    • Woooop

I noticed a difference in the editing thing and I'm like "Oh must be the update"

Loading editor
    • One small thing that still isn't entirely clear, do UCP wiki's have custom JS or not? The Update before this that it would be unlocked soonish. (not a huge deal for me but I know a lot of people really want it). I completely understand if it got a bit lost in the Grand Invoking of Names, the Conjuration of Renaming and the Dark Ritual of Merging (the renames) but I think a lot of people would like an estimate

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:
      Himmarlein

User:Himmalerin? If so, the name is misspelled.

As additional feedback for the new editor:

1. Some editors criticized the new submit form for taking too much space all the time. Proposals included removing it by default (allowing activation on hover/click) and reducing whitespace via CSS.
      2. There isn't a useful keyboard shortcut from the new form to save the page immediately. (For example, Enter in the summary box does not save, and neither does Shift+Enter. Alt+Shift+S opens the old modal, with Ctrl+Enter needed to save.)
      3. The "Show preview" button appears on modules and doesn't do anything. (It's not supposed to be there at all. There is no meaningful preview action for modules. Maybe the preview button could be replaced with another button that shows the debug console in a modal instead? ūüôÉ)
        Loading editor
    • Congrats and thank you on the superb editor UI update.

Any update on JS Review which was supposedly coming Soon‚ĄĘ to UCP?

Loading editor
    • Also one other thing, will some more of the easy inserts such as signature/nowiki tags et cetera make it into the editor one day? because I'm loving the way the italics/bold one are looking and I would love some more (shiny! gimme gimme gimme!)

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Congrats and thank you on the superb editor UI update.

Any update on JS Review which was supposedly coming Soon‚ĄĘ to UCP?

It's live now. I forgot to include it. Rectified :)

Loading editor
    • Nice, but HOW COULD YOU FORGET THAT! LOL....

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Nice, but HOW COULD YOU FORGET THAT! LOL....

I was waxing poetic about the triumph of human spirit and the promise of the Olympiad, Fandy!!!

Also, I hadn't gotten a reply from somebody by the time I sent the thread.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

They were probably sleeping.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

They were probably sleeping.

Meetings.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Fandyllic wrote: Nice, but HOW COULD YOU FORGET THAT! LOL....

I was waxing poetic about the triumph of human spirit and the promise of the Olympiad, Fandy!!!

Well I do wish to point out that 4 minutes afterwards the third reply (mine) already mentioned it and I started writing it less than a minute after you posted it. I know we are really good at pointing out mistakes but even we need SOME TIME !
      God Fandom Staff these days..

(I do feel like I should mention the above is sarcastic)

Loading editor
    • Asarta wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Well I do wish to point out that 4 minutes afterwards the third reply (mine) already mentioned it and I started writing it less than a minute after you posted it. I know we are really good at pointing out mistakes but even we need SOME TIME !

49794u
        Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Asarta wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

49794u

When did I ever say I didn't? I was just kind of amazed like Fandyllic that you managed to forget a feature that is in the top three most requested things on these threads (together with Remove It right now! and Make it Optional! which says more about that happy users don't scream in threads than anything else)

Loading editor
    • The meme was sarcastic too¬†:)

Any opportunity to use a Mean Girls reference.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote: The meme was sarcastic too¬†:)

Any opportunity to use a Mean Girls reference.

Well considering you managed to forget JSREVIEW! I'm not assuming anything anymore.

That too was sarcastic

Edit: Also did you just make that image just to use it here? See this is why UCP hasn't been fully integrated yet on all devices and my brain with all the current features integrated and an on/off switch while looking like you gave an web designer an unlimited budget and unlimited time and told him to make it beautiful. Staff priorities these days really need some work...

That was sarcastic as well

Loading editor
    • Ehmmmmm....

BrokenSave

It is broken on mobile devices.

Loading editor
    • TreeIsLife wrote: Ehmmmmm....

BrokenSave

What does the alert say at the top of your editor?

Loading editor
    • Also Show Preview does not anything (which is bug, which is here really long - several weeks)

Loading editor
    • The new editor still stretches the editing area apart in a way that does not reflect the way the article actually appears once saved. It doesn't so much concern the source mode as the visual, where no preview is available, and an editor has to rely on what they see during edition.

Loading editor
    • Good update. Even though the modal that was previously needed to save the page was removed, one can still see it if the page somehow fails to save for whatever reason. I've seen that today but no screenshot is given. I am proud to see syntax highlighting can be enabled from the editor, something I reported on the past release highlight thread.

Loading editor
    • Quick note: turns out we're not quite ready for JS editing, sorry! The remaining issue is fairly trivial - admins are missing the relevant user right - and I believe it shouldn't take long to resolve.

Loading editor
    • Would a replacement for the Classic Editor be added at some point.

Loading editor
    • Iron Claw 2 wrote: Would a replacement for the Classic Editor be added at some point.

Source editor seems to be the new "classic editor" despite the fact that they operate differently. If you do want to request the classic editor, contact Fandom Staff, however I’m not sure if they’ll accept that request.

Loading editor
    • I really, really appreciate the accessibility <3

Loading editor
    • Hello there. Is it possible if you could improve the portability of the editor on other devices? The editor doesn't seem quite friendly on devices like the iPad and it's very buggy.

Loading editor
    • The new editor has a even more clean feeling to it. I love it¬†:)

Loading editor
    • PrunesX wrote: Hello there. Is it possible if you could improve the portability of the editor on other devices? The editor doesn't seem quite friendly on devices like the iPad and it's very buggy.

Are you using the mobile editor or the desktop editor?

Loading editor
    • The update is very nice and all that, but when I save an edit, the original before-this-update¬†"edit summary/save your changes"¬†modal¬†shows up for a brief moment and then goes away.¬†

Loading editor
    • PrunesX wrote:

Hello there. Is it possible if you could improve the portability of the editor on other devices? The editor doesn't seem quite friendly on devices like the iPad and it's very buggy.

What wikis have you tried to edit on? These updates are specific to UCP wikis.

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:

Iron Claw 2 wrote: Would a replacement for the Classic Editor be added at some point.

Source editor seems to be the new "classic editor" despite the fact that they operate differently. If you do want to request the classic editor, contact Fandom Staff, however I’m not sure if they’ll accept that request.

Yeah, I also wish that Classic Editor would be added to the UCP. But the new source editor isn't so bad, I just wish it could be improved, at least somewhat.

Loading editor
    • Asarta wrote: One small thing that still isn't entirely clear, do UCP wiki's have custom JS or not? The Update before this that it would be unlocked soonish. (not a huge deal for me but I know a lot of people really want it). I completely understand if it got a bit lost in the Grand Invoking of Names, the Conjuration of Renaming and the Dark Ritual of Merging (the renames) but I think a lot of people would like an estimate

I'm pretty sure the "Wiki-specific JS" mentioned in the post is referring to the custom wiki JS you are talking about ūüĎć.

Loading editor
    • Emitewiki2 wrote:

Asarta wrote: One small thing that still isn't entirely clear, do UCP wiki's have custom JS or not? The Update before this that it would be unlocked soonish. (not a huge deal for me but I know a lot of people really want it). I completely understand if it got a bit lost in the Grand Invoking of Names, the Conjuration of Renaming and the Dark Ritual of Merging (the renames) but I think a lot of people would like an estimate

I'm pretty sure the "Wiki-specific JS" mentioned in the post is referring to the custom wiki JS you are talking about ūüĎć.

@Emitewiki2: The custom JS info was added to the update report after Asarta's reply.

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:

Quick note: turns out we're not quite ready for JS editing, sorry! The remaining issue is fairly trivial - admins are missing the relevant user right - and I believe it shouldn't take long to resolve.

Bummer.

Loading editor
    • Its sad to see the ACE code editors go. I love them for their speed and features...

Loading editor
    • I'm definitely having teething problems with the new editor. I had Prompt me when entering a blank edit summary checked in preferences, and after clicking Save without entering an edit summary, no such prompt appeared and I was unable to save the page. I've unchecked it for now.

Loading editor
    • GhostWolfe wrote: I'm definitely having teething problems with the new editor. I had Prompt me when entering a blank edit summary checked in preferences, and after clicking Save without entering an edit summary, no such prompt appeared and I was unable to save the page. I've unchecked it for now.

I'm having the exact same issue. It just doesn't allow me to Save any changes to any page on a UCP wiki. It just greys the "Save" button out after I click it and does nothing else.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, sadly the new editor is very buggy. Par for the course with UCP, but sad.

If you have Prompt me when entering a blank edit summary and put an edit summary on save, everything is fine, at least.

Loading editor
    • Now if we could just get the left margin bug fixed when editing CSS pages then editing CSS pages on UCP wikis will be significantly less stressful.

There's a bug where having over 1,000 lines of CSS increases the margin on the left for the line numbers, but the cursor doesn't also get the extra margin. Because of this, if you type, it'll put your text in the wrong location.

I've already reported the said bug a little while ago, and am looking forward to seeing it fixed. As of recently I've been reviewing the CSS that I have on non-UCP wikis, checking that it is compatible with UCP and rewriting it if it isn't.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

PrunesX wrote:

Hello there. Is it possible if you could improve the portability of the editor on other devices? The editor doesn't seem quite friendly on devices like the iPad and it's very buggy.

I've used the editor on this wiki and I can say for certain that it is a UCP wiki.

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp wrote:

PrunesX wrote: Hello there. Is it possible if you could improve the portability of the editor on other devices? The editor doesn't seem quite friendly on devices like the iPad and it's very buggy.

Are you using the mobile editor or the desktop editor?

No clue. My browser automatically refers to the desktop version of the site, but the editor is still present with the same issues after I opt to the mobile version.

Loading editor
    • PrunesX wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

PrunesX wrote:

I've used the editor on this wiki and I can say for certain that it is a UCP wiki.

I just tested it on my phone and had no issues writing text on it. It was a lot better than using the desktop editor on a phone

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

TreeIsLife wrote: Ehmmmmm....

BrokenSave

What does the alert say at the top of your editor?

It is not a big surprise, but yes, editor is not (officially) supported :(. But this alert will not be on minimized windows on computers (but idk, if someone want to edit wiki in minimized window :D)

Loading editor
    • What happens when someone with an account that lost the username tries to login? Is there some way they can be notified about the name change? For instance, lets such there are two people with the name "UserA" The Fandom user hasn't been on for a few years and looses the name so they get resolved to "UserA-fduser" and "UserA". Then the Fandom user tries to login with "UserA". What happens? As far as I can tell, they would get a "wrong password" message since the login system doesn't know it is actually "UserA-fduser" and not "UserA". But if the Fandom user doesn't know about the name change, they are going to think they just forgot their password and request a password reset for someone else's account. I don't see how the login system would be able to tell them "Hey! Your name has been changed. Use this one instead."

Loading editor
    • Once again, another great update with UCP!

Loading editor
    • Finally! We're getting custom JS for UCP! Hope it gets fixed quickly!

Loading editor
    • ^^^

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: What happens when someone with an account that lost the username tries to login? Is there some way they can be notified about the name change? For instance, lets such there are two people with the name "UserA" The Fandom user hasn't been on for a few years and looses the name so they get resolved to "UserA-fduser" and "UserA". Then the Fandom user tries to login with "UserA". What happens? As far as I can tell, they would get a "wrong password" message since the login system doesn't know it is actually "UserA-fduser" and not "UserA". But if the Fandom user doesn't know about the name change, they are going to think they just forgot their password and request a password reset for someone else's account. I don't see how the login system would be able to tell them "Hey! Your name has been changed. Use this one instead."

If they login with OAuth or email, it will login just fine.

If they login with username, the helper text will prompt them to add -fduser upon login failure.

Loading editor
    • Oh thats good to know.

Loading editor
    • Suggestion: Please integrate the polling feature in the UCP wikis. We need that polls ready for readers to interact with.

Loading editor
    • They will probably be from MW extension.

Loading editor
    • TreeIsLife
      TreeIsLife removed this reply because:
      Mistaje edit
      18:18, July 24, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • Hopefully the next UCP update is badges (pn, but still)

Loading editor
    • Yes. Badges would be a very nice feature to add, especially if they didn't require requests to enable them.

How about a feature which allows users on the UCP platform to enable badges by themselves, but requires the wiki to have at least 50 pages? That seems reasonable. It would also reduce the hassle needed for the staff whenever a user requests for badges (although the development phase might take some time).

Loading editor
    • See how Achievements/Badges are working on Gamepedia... it will likely look like that with no further enhancements. Also, this is not the right place for feature requests.

Loading editor
    • Badges are going to be folded into the Gamepedia achievement system. Once this is done, wikis will not be able to toggle it on/off. The system is globally on; end of story. The only way this wouldn't be the case is if Fandom re-works the Gamepedia achievement system to include local control over local achievements. Even then, wikis would still not be able to disable the global achievements.

Loading editor
    • New update cool, though i am having one issue the new UI is taking up alot of space and now i don't have much space to edit on and the message at the bottom "Please note that all contributions to the Near Pure Evil Wiki are considered to be released under the CC-BY-SA" is a bit annoying is there any way to remove that?

Loading editor
    • Ive noticed that the new Code editors for modules are buggy and are alot slower than the old ACE editors. If I transition to UCP, I expect an equivalent or better to the ACE editors. It would be nice to have an option to switch between the new editor and the old ACE editor.

Loading editor
    • Ordeaux26 wrote: New update cool, though i am having one issue the new UI is taking up alot of space and now i don't have much space to edit on and the message at the bottom "Please note that all contributions to the Near Pure Evil Wiki are considered to be released under the CC-BY-SA" is a bit annoying is there any way to remove that?

You can use CSS or JS to remove it, but it might be against ToS or something to do so. I would consult with staff before removing it if you are going to do it site-wide.

Loading editor
    • Thundercraft5 wrote:

Ordeaux26 wrote: New update cool, though i am having one issue the new UI is taking up alot of space and now i don't have much space to edit on and the message at the bottom "Please note that all contributions to the Near Pure Evil Wiki are considered to be released under the CC-BY-SA" is a bit annoying is there any way to remove that?

You can use CSS or JS to remove it, but it might be against ToS or something to do so. I would consult with staff before removing it.

You can put it in your personal CSS/JS if you want tho.

Loading editor
    • I will have revamped editor pls

Loading editor
    • Staff already said on Discord its fine to remove it for personal use I just want to know how to do it.

Loading editor
    • Simply add this

.ve-ui-summaryPanel-copyrightWarningFooter {
        display: none;
      }

to your personal CSS.

Loading editor
    • Thanks, tough it isn't working yet does it just take time for it to work?

Loading editor
    • Oh, I'm sorry, the help page is missing the correct link for the UCP. The code must actually be added on this page (as long as there's both the legacy platform and UCP). It could still take a little bit of time, though.

Loading editor
    • Oh okay, thanks, And I just checked it worked

Loading editor
    • I can't even see what I am writing now. Please don't blame my browser because this was working fine before the updates.

Screenshot 20200725-230929 Samsung Internet
        Loading editor
    • Try using the mobile editor instead of the desktop editor?

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp wrote:
      Try using the mobile editor instead of the desktop editor?

I don't think that's a sustainable solution to the problem.

Loading editor
    • SuperTalker101 wrote:

Sophiedp wrote:

why not?

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp wrote:

SuperTalker101 wrote:

Sophiedp wrote:
      why not?

You can't just hope that people have access to a desktop when editing articles. The whole point of the UCP Platform was to enable mobile editing.

Loading editor
    • Have you seen the mobile editor yet?

Loading editor
    • SuperTalker101 wrote:

Sophiedp wrote:

SuperTalker101 wrote:

Sophiedp wrote:
      why not?

You can't just hope that people have access to a desktop when editing articles. The whole point of the UCP Platform was to enable mobile editing.

Yes, and UCP has a mobile editor, its just not part of the regular editor, when viewing the article via the mobile skin, theres a edit button under the title which opens the mobile editor

Loading editor
    • Is custom JS working already?

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote: Quick note: turns out we're not quite ready for JS editing, sorry! The remaining issue is fairly trivial - admins are missing the relevant user right - and I believe it shouldn't take long to resolve.

Based on the comment I quoted, the answer to your question would be no DZeP.

Loading editor
    • DZeP wrote: Is custom JS working already?

Not fully, theres a few remaining issues, but once those are fixed it should be working (you'll still need to contact staff and ask for custom JS to be enabled if you want to use MediaWiki:Common.js, MediaWiki:ImportJS doesn't need staff to enable it)

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp wrote:

SuperTalker101 wrote:

Sophiedp wrote:

SuperTalker101 wrote:

Sophiedp wrote:
      why not?

Yes, and UCP has a mobile editor, its just not part of the regular editor, when viewing the article via the mobile skin, theres a edit button under the title which opens the mobile editor

Message from Will (MisterWoodhouse) : What does the alert say at the top of your editor?

Loading editor
    • @Kirkburn or MisterWoodhouse can either of you perhaps give an update on the status of JSreview?

Loading editor
    • New issues noticed today:

• the edit window is unable to accurately select text when zoomed out to 80% or less.
      • Syntax highlighting help page says that there should be an option "Do not show syntax highlighting in 'Source mode'" in the Editing tab of my preferences, but no such option exists. I figured out how to turn it off based on comments in the forums, but it sounds like my preferences page is incorrect also? Maybe a thumbnail of how to turn it off while editing would also help.
        • Syntax highlighting is definitely a major contributor to the slow load times for edit windows, but not the entirety of it. Still seeing several-second lags even after turning it off, and when opening multiple tabs.

Seemingly solved issues:

• toolbox bar is collapsed by default, hard to find for people who don't know it's still there
      • "Save changes" button cannot be reached without scrolling back to top of edit window
      • "show changes" now requires going to "preview" and then "review your changes" from the edit window, instead of being one button. This is especially awful when the page being edited is long with many pictures or templates, which can cause exorbitant lag on slower connections; "Show changes" used to be the solution to that problem!
      • edit window sometimes has a mandatory "describe what you changed" popup

Acknowledged issues:

• unable to leave messages for anonymous editors like on wikipedia or wikimedia
      • no mail icon to notify of message wall changes across FANDOM
      • "e" and "d" no longer work as hotkeys for edit and delete (other keys must be used, which are currently not working though)
      • on the old editor, the page title (next to "Editing") was still a link, so you could open up the current version of the page as a tab, which is useful for stuff like copying over what is in the previous version of a page or in another section, without having to cancel out or go to show changes, or if you're doing certain forms of high-volume edits like adding categories to a lot of similarly-named pages all at once (you could hit the edit link on one, right click the title to open a new tab, modify the url as needed, hit edit on that one, etc.). I used that a lot in adding pages to my boardgame/cardgame wikis. I can't find an approximation for that feature in the new editor, any suggestions? (fixable with JS, once JS is available)

Other issues:

• source editor window still takes a few seconds more than non-UCP source editor to load
      • Help:Unified Community Platform page does not list any missing features or workarounds that I can see, despite being claimed as an alternative to User:Noreplyz/UCP#Missing features. As such, it reads less as a help page and more as a press release. Please revise or create new blog to include cataloging of non-bug user feature reports and what the FANDOM direction or workaround on them will be
      • New wiki layout is no longer compatible with PseudoMonobook, as employing it removes the "edit" bar. Can you please clarify what could have changed in how the edit bar is named or defined from the previous format that would cause it to be caught by the PseudoMonobook filter?
      • "edit" and "edit source" both displayed at each editable header -- can we change something in preferences to show only one?
      • "ctrl+f" while in new source editor pop up a wikia-specific window instead of letting me use the browser search function. We need a way to disable this in preferences.
      • only possible to use the old source editor (with the working Ctrl+F) when undoing an edit. Please make it available in preferences for any editing.
      • "templates used" is now part of a dropdown and popup instead of just being an everpresent button on the edit window
      • categories only appear at top of page, and only show the first three categories. This makes it more annoying on browser, and a too-annoying-to-deal-with hassle on mobile. An especially bad problem on gamecruft wikis that use categories extensively to allow navigation of various items, cards, etc.
      • this is not new to UCP I think, but many non-thumb images go straight to the file instead of the file page when clicked. I can't find a consistent pattern, though.
      • Special:NewFiles and classic categories no longer show the name of the file under the image
      • I'm still noticing a major slowness when editing large pages with the source editor, and often the curse doesn't even show up when I click. It also takes a second or two to switch between tabs with the editor open.
      • I'm also noticing that when you preview a page, it does not use the current state of the templates, it uses whatever they were when you first started editing that page. Therefore, if I'm tweaking templates to get them to load right, I have to back out of the edit window and then back in, and then hit preview again, to see the changes.
      • I can't open an edit window for Common.css in a new tab just by doing ctrl+click. I have to actually rightclick and go through the dropdown.
      • As seen here, the "what links to" no longer nests pages that link to redirects that link to the queried page, which makes it a lot more difficult to use.
      • Also, opening up more than a few tabs starts taking multiple seconds per tab, whereas with the previous system it was basically as fast as you could click them in the first place.

I do want to say that the current fixes to the edit window are a huge improvement. There's more to be done, but thank you for what you've done so far to listen to editor feedback. Also, please let me know if any of the issues I've listed as still open are not reproducable, or have already been addressed and I just didn't see it.

Loading editor
    • KrytenKoro wrote: New issues noticed today:

• the edit window is unable to accurately select text when zoomed out to 80% or less.

Which browser are you seeing this on?

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

KrytenKoro wrote: New issues noticed today:

Chrome. I like to have the text zoomed out a bit for eye strain and so I can handle more text, but on the new editor it has problems matching where the text displays to where it actually "exists". So, for example, if the text is:

My black cat has twenty toes.

And I try to select "Black cat", and it looks like I've highlighted "black cat" from where the shaded section is, if I copy and paste the text will actually insert "k cat ha".

Loading editor
    • KrytenKoro wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Chrome. I like to have the text zoomed out a bit for eye strain and so I can handle more text, but on the new editor it has problems matching where the text displays to where it actually "exists". So, for example, if the text is:

And I try to select "Black cat", and it looks like I've highlighted "black cat" from where the shaded section is, if I copy and paste the text will actually insert "k cat ha".

Oh that's very interesting. Thanks for raising it. We'll attempt to reproduce and get it looked at.

Can you check it at other zoom levels? I'm seeing a specific issue with 80% zoom on Chrome, but no issues at other magnification.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

KrytenKoro wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Oh that's very interesting. Thanks for raising it. We'll attempt to reproduce and get it looked at.

Can you check it at other zoom levels? I'm seeing a specific issue with 80% zoom on Chrome, but no issues at other magnification.

Regarding this I have no such problems when copying text on UCP. I tried it out using both the example and just random letter strings in my Sandbox on Wreck it Woodhouse but had no problems at 80 percent zoom.
      Edit: I have tried every zoom level Chrome allows without having any issues. I then tried a few with syntax highlighting applied to them because there have been problems with that before but still no luck finding the issue

Loading editor
    • It's specifically at 80% as of now, and only with syntax highlighted.

Loading editor
    • KrytenKoro wrote: It's specifically at 80% as of now, and only with syntax highlighted.

Thanks for confirming my findings. I've raised it with the team. Definitely an interesting bug.

Loading editor
    • Do either of you perhaps have an example page for me to look at? Not that I'm questioning you but I can't get it to work when creating my own examples.

Edit: I just realized how weird this sounds this question sounds like: Hi MisterWoodhouse could you please give me an example page so I can experience the bug instead of having to use your "shudders" working version.

Loading editor
    • It's nice, but it's also sad we can't edit the copyright warning anymore. Using the qqx language i found the visual editor copyright warning is under a different and protected page.

Loading editor
    • Asarta wrote: Do either of you perhaps have an example page for me to look at? Not that I'm questioning you but I can't get it to work when creating my own examples.

Edit: I just realized how weird this sounds this question sounds like: Hi MisterWoodhouse could you please give me an example page so I can experience the bug instead of having to use your "shudders" working version.

try http://cthulhuwars.fandom.com/wiki/Great_Cthulhu

Loading editor
    • KrytenKoro wrote:

• only possible to use the old source editor (with the working Ctrl+F) when undoing an edit. Please make it available in preferences for any editing.
      • I'm still noticing a major slowness when editing large pages with the source editor, and often the curse doesn't even show up when I click. It also takes a second or two to switch between tabs with the editor open.

These would fix the issues I'm experiencing so I would like to see this implemented.

Loading editor
    • Nintendon't wrote: It's nice, but it's also sad we can't edit the copyright warning anymore. Using the qqx language i found the visual editor copyright warning is under a different and protected page.

Which copyright warning are we talking about here?

Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote:

Nintendon't wrote: It's nice, but it's also sad we can't edit the copyright warning anymore. Using the qqx language i found the visual editor copyright warning is under a different and protected page.

Which copyright warning are we talking about here?

Both.

Loading editor
    • Well, the one in both editors.

Loading editor
    • We are waiting for new update

Loading editor
    • Updates usually come Fridays, unless there are limited to no front end changes.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: Updates usually come Fridays, unless there are limited to no front end changes.

Updates usually come Thursdays.

Loading editor
    • Really?

In any case, not Tuesdays.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: Really?

In any case, not Tuesdays.

Yup. They mostly come on Thursdays. Sometimes, they come on Fridays due to meeting conflicts and such.

Loading editor
    • Can you acutually use javascript on the new wikis?

Loading editor
    • Not yet, as far as I know.

Loading editor
    • Mkay, I'm still getting used to the new Ucp update

Loading editor
    • Monstersyrup wrote: Can you acutually use javascript on the new wikis?

Give it a shot now, admins. Just released a change to JS permissions.

Loading editor
    • just on this wiki?

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Works fine on my test wiki, dev wiki js that lives on a /code.js subpage (or any subpage actually) still doesn't work, but I can successfully edit Mediawiki:Common.js and enter test mode.

(Worth noting I didn't have to request JS)

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Monstersyrup wrote: Can you acutually use javascript on the new wikis?

Is that all the announcement we get or will there be a more obvious one?

Loading editor
    • I am still unable to edit community js on my community I made on UCP. Has this change arrived yet on all communities?

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Works fine on my test wiki, dev wiki js that lives on a /code.js subpage (or any subpage actually) still doesn't work, but I can successfully edit Mediawiki:Common.js and enter test mode.

(Worth noting I didn't have to request JS)

Not sure entering test mode is enough... caching for UCP has been a big problem, so even if it works in test mode, it may take a very long time to go live... or not at all.

Loading editor
    • 1. Multiple Photo Upload

Before the UCP update, at the bottom of the screen, there is a My Tools bar where we can look at what links to the article, a Multiple Upload image page, etc). After the UCP update, the Multiple Upload image page is no longer an option (at Community Central, it's still live but at other wikis that have been updated to UCP no longer have it). The link would be this: https://nameofwikihere.fandom.com/wiki/Special:MultipleUpload

When you type in where you got the image file from, all you do to you was type in for example, "grab from Comic #4" into the summary blank once on the Multi-Upload page when you're picking images to upload. And when the images upload, that line is applied to all summary blanks of all image files uploaded.

I am aware that currently if one were to edit any article, there is a Mass Upload button (the seventh icon from the left) that performs the same function as the Multiple Upload image however, it lacks other options. Say if have 20 or more images to upload at once, you now have to edit the 20 or more images pages individually with "grab from Comic #4" in the summary section where one notates where the image file originates from. In my experience, I sometimes have to upload 100 image files in one night. And sometimes I need to look back at an image file and see where the source was.

I understand that for some, that doesn't matter where it's from but at some wikis, having the source of the image given cuts down on time staff spend investigating where a dubious file came from and if was stolen without permission. This saved a lot of time and was very efficient, especially for a big workload that needed to get done in one day/night. Now, that time saver is gone and we're left with a really great option with holes in it. I would like to see the Multiple Upload of images page from before UCP to return.

If anything, perhaps another option is to just replace the Upload Image at the bottom of the page with Multiple Upload because even if you have 1 or 2 images to upload, you can still do that in the Multiple Upload page.

2. Classic Editor

I was an ardent supporter and user of the RTE Classic Editor rather than visual or source editor. I was saddened to see it not survive the UCP update. I felt that the layout, design, and options organized in the 'second column' on the right (to input reason for change, adding categories, preview, etc.) to be much more efficient for me when I'm editing. I would like to see it brought back as an option of editor tool to pick from or a new version of it to be created. Basically, a option to customize how you want the editor window to look.

Loading editor
    • Wait for the next Friday update.

Loading editor
    • ^Sounds good to me. Thanks for the head's up.

Also getting this odd occurrence on random articles. In standard cases, the gallery organizes images in horizontal rows of 4 or 5 images. Now, some are showing images in a gallery lined up in one vertical column. This is whether I am logged in or not.

The first image is an article's gallery looking normal. The second is this odd occurrence.

ProtonPackGalleryNormalLook

Gallery working normally

GB2Chapter12GalleryStack01

Gallery not working normally

Loading editor
    • It's doing it at 90% now, too, with the cursor not accurately representing where text will be inserted.

Loading editor
    • Mrmichaelt, are you still having the gallery issue? It appears fine for me on the second page you linked. Since your post was many hours ago, perhaps it has since been fixed?

Regarding Special:MultipleUpload, I agree it would be handy to have back. As for the editor, none of the legacy editors made it to UCP. UCP's source mode is not the same as the legacy platforms source editor. Either way, the loss of classic editor is a result of the MediaWiki version Fandom is upgrading to. According to the documentation, MediaWiki 1.32 was the last version the classic editor was updated to work with; UCP uses MediaWiki 1.33.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021, that particular article is okay now but it seems like this a whack-a-mole situation. The gallery goes back to normal after some amount of time but then the issue pops up in a different random article(s).

That's a shame with Classic Editor. But I'm curious if there's a way to mimic it sort of, like customizing how you want the layout or Source/Visual Editor to look like? Maybe a bit too pie in the sky.

Loading editor
    • That looks like a CSS not loading correctly issue. Strange that it affects only galleries... I might be showing up in other places, just people are blaming some other issue.

Loading editor
    • Nilraat wrote:
      The update is very nice and all that, but when I save an edit, the original before-this-update "edit summary/save your changes" modal shows up for a brief moment and then goes away. 

Also, how do I put a video on the page?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: That looks like a CSS not loading correctly issue. Strange that it affects only galleries... I might be showing up in other places, just people are blaming some other issue.

Yep, along with Ghostbusters Wiki, it is also happening to ThunderCats Wiki. The real story has been the loading issues with all articles and especially in editor Source mode.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Not sure entering test mode is enough... caching for UCP has been a big problem, so even if it works in test mode, it may take a very long time to go live... or not at all.

Test mode does work. I submitted the JS for review on the 28, sometime earlier today it was approved and is working as intended.

Loading editor
    • Good to know... I guess I will throw some JS at my UCP wiki.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:
      Fandyllic wrote:

Test mode does work. I submitted the JS for review on the 28, sometime earlier today it was approved and is working as intended.

You have a wiki?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Good to know... I guess I will throw some JS at my UCP wiki.

Just checked and JavaScript still can't edited on UCP wikis. At least not sitewide JavaScript. Though I'm not entirely sure if you were meaning sitewide or personal.

I have tried JavaScript on my UCP test wiki, and none of the JavaScript appears to be working there. Though I haven't checked whether JavaScript has been enabled there yet.

Loading editor
    • You need to request it be enabled now I believe, just like legacy wikis.

Loading editor
    • Unfortunately the Help pages seem still out out-of-date and inaccurate. It is really hard to find anything even mentioning the need for requesting custom wiki-wide JS being enabled unless you eventually get to Help:JavaScript review process as it is mostly implied in other help pages.

I haven't tried anything on my UCP wiki yet, but when I do, I'll create General Discussion forum post about any obvious issues I run into.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Unfortunately the Help pages seem still out out-of-date and inaccurate. It is really hard to find anything even mentioning the need for requesting custom wiki-wide JS being enabled unless you eventually get to Help:JavaScript review process as it is mostly implied in other help pages.

Perhaps add an general template saying something like: Note: Custom JavaScript only works if JavaScript is turned on on your wiki which it isn't by default. if you want to turn custom JavaScript on on a wiki you control please contact Fandom Staff.

Loading editor
    • Asarta wrote:

Fandyllic wrote: Unfortunately the Help pages seem still out out-of-date and inaccurate. It is really hard to find anything even mentioning the need for requesting custom wiki-wide JS being enabled unless you eventually get to Help:JavaScript review process as it is mostly implied in other help pages.

Perhaps add an general template saying something like: Note: Custom JavaScript only works if JavaScript is turned on on your wiki which it isn't by default. if you want to turn custom JavaScript on on a wiki you control please contact Fandom Staff.

Why should I do this?

Loading editor
    • will the blue loading screen ever go away? I miss the insta-load of the old editor.

will legacy use of old editor apply indefinitely for old wikis or is an eventual forced-to-use-new-laggy-blue-bar-editor looming on the horizon for old wikis?

Loading editor
    • Adding the new editor to legacy wikis separately would just be a waste of time and resources.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: Adding the new editor to legacy wikis separately would just be a waste of time and resources.

Eventually even old wikis will be using the new editor, because everything will be on UCP.

Loading editor
    • Exactly. No point to add it before that.

Loading editor
    • Dddd
      This bar is taking too much space...sorry but it's actually pretty annoying
        Loading editor
    • I Agree With Him Coud you at least make it so it is at the bottom of the editor but it dosen't take up page space?

Loading editor
    • Any idea if AJAXPolls will be added to UCP wikis?

Also I'm finding the admin dashboard on UCP wikis to be rather unappealing, at least in comparison to the admin dashboard on non-UCP wikis.

I really hope that the design will be worked on. Because even with CSS, it doesn't look like the dashboard on UCP wikis will be able to compete with the old design.

Loading editor
    • Re-ask in the next technical update... I suspect FANDOM staff aren't really following this one anymore. It's been over 5 days since the last staff reply.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I'm surprised a more recent update hasn't been published yet. I even went as far as to make sure I hadn't missed any subsequent releases before I commented here. But then I haven't really been following up on the reasons why we've been waiting more than a week for the next update.

Loading editor
    • Probably the last update didn't have much in the way of user-facing changes. They typically only post these things when there is a change users will notice.

Loading editor
    • That's a shame.

Loading editor
    • Something fucky beyond all measure is happening to galleries now (and it wasn't happening when the UCP was first implemented): https://cthulhuwars.fandom.com/wiki/Art_Prints#Signed_Art_Prints

For some reason, the images are no longer captioned, they're resized and cropped weirdly, and instead of showing them in a grid, they are all vertical.

Please fix ASAP.

Loading editor
    • See #110 to #114

Edit:

Purging the page appears to have fixed it.

Loading editor
    • You should link to the above in this thread: Thread:1942388

Loading editor
    • UpnCbs06 wrote:

Iron Claw 2 wrote: Would a replacement for the Classic Editor be added at some point.

This is not possible, I have tried.

Loading editor
    • Hello Everyone, why i still can't edit my wikia.js?¬†
      OnPaste.20200807-165646

See?

LuvOf99Th  11:59, August 7, 2020 (UTC).
        Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote: Quick note: turns out we're not quite ready for JS editing, sorry! The remaining issue is fairly trivial - admins are missing the relevant user right - and I believe it shouldn't take long to resolve.

^^

Loading editor
    • No that problem has been solved since.
      @LuvOf99Th the problem is that you haven't enabled JavaScript yet. You need to contact contact Fandom Staff and ask them to turn it on.

Loading editor
    • Ohk.

Loading editor
    • UCP Blogs are here! Woop woop!

Loading editor
    • Dey R?

O wow, dey R2! Gr8! :D

Loading editor
    • Blog commenting not posting and Message Wall messages not editing. FYI, I am not ticketing- I am sorry but I am sick of ticketing.

Message Wall Error sample 1
        Loading editor
    • Nice profile pic.

Loading editor
    • Hollowness (in screenshot): Perhaps you disabled comments on it?

The server responds to the POST request for adding comments with a 403 Forbidden status code. Could be some failure with user authentication, I think.

Loading editor
    • Try logging out and then back in again and see if that helps.

Loading editor
    • I'm getting the glitch where in the UCP editor, I try to link some text, but the moment I click the 'Done' button on the link builder, the text disappears. Further attempts to save the page are also unsuccessful.

Here's the error description that I retrieved from the console:

VM166:155 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'nodeType' of undefined
      at Object.ve.adjacentDomPosition (<anonymous>:155:825)
      at VeCeDocument.ve.ce.Document.getNodeAndOffset (load.php?debug=false&lang=en&modules=ext.CodeMirror.lib|ext.visualEditor.core|oojs-ui-core%2Coojs-ui-widgets|oojs-ui.styles.icons-editing-advanced&skin=oasis&version=0hxp8k5:613)
      at VeCeSurface.ve.ce.Surface.getSelectionState (load.php?debug=false&lang=en&modules=ext.CodeMirror.lib|ext.visualEditor.core|oojs-ui-core%2Coojs-ui-widgets|oojs-ui.styles.icons-editing-advanced&skin=oasis&version=0hxp8k5:732)
      at VeCeSurface.ve.ce.Surface.getNativeRange (load.php?debug=false&lang=en&modules=ext.CodeMirror.lib|ext.visualEditor.core|oojs-ui-core%2Coojs-ui-widgets|oojs-ui.styles.icons-editing-advanced&skin=oasis&version=0hxp8k5:733)
      at VeCeLinearSelection.ve.ce.LinearSelection.getSelectionBoundingRect (load.php?debug=false&lang=en&modules=ext.CodeMirror.lib|ext.visualEditor.core|oojs-ui-core%2Coojs-ui-widgets|oojs-ui.styles.icons-editing-advanced&skin=oasis&version=0hxp8k5:744)
      at VeUiDesktopContext.ve.ui.DesktopContext.updateDimensions (<anonymous>:1128:220)
      at later (load.php?debug=false&lang=en&modules=ext.CodeMirror.lib|ext.visualEditor.core|oojs-ui-core%2Coojs-ui-widgets|oojs-ui.styles.icons-editing-advanced&skin=oasis&version=0hxp8k5:1067)

It works after a few attempts to do it by reloading though.

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • @Sophiedp: Logging out and back in didn't help, unfortunately. It seems I can add comments to my own blog posts (and reply to them), but not to blogs written by other users. Replying to comments on another user's blog doesn't work, either.

Side notes: Apart from that, I noticed that there's still the now obsolete and unneccessary "User blog comment" namespace, which works like a normal Talk page on the UCP. Also, users can't disable comments for their blogs anymore...

@SuperTalker101 & @Je3n29: It would probably best to file a bug report. I can't reproduce the error. It almost sounds like the editor hasn't been fully loaded.

Loading editor
    • Je3n29's issue is different from SuperTalker101's issue. Here is the context for Je3n29's post. It is an issue that had been reported by a few other users as well.

The "User blog comment" namespace is the talk namespace for user blogs. It's just that it's name doesn't follow the typical format for talk namespaces. With a few exceptions, it is generally expected that every namespace has a talk namespace counterpart.

Loading editor
    • On the legacy platform, comments are pages within the "User blog comment" namespace, they need it to work. (These pages storing the comment contents are probably the best place where you can see that the idea of combining Forums and MediaWiki is not really... great.) Now with Discussions being the underlying system for comments, the namespace is of no good use anymore. The best reason for keeping it is uniformity.

Actually, it wasn't my intention to debate its existance, but just making note what I thought is an interesting matter. Especially since the namespace's name was kept and not changed to "User blog talk". Probably it's because some MW set-up config for the namespaces was copied from the legacy platform and such changes wouldn't be relevant. :)

Loading editor
    • Please for the Achievements, JS and Semantic MW on UcP soon

Loading editor
    • JS is already on UCP. Achievements is being reinvented so it can be incorporated into the Gamepedia achievement system (or something like it). Semantic MW is used by only a handful of wikis and will be one of the last things to get converted. Either way, it is unlikely that wikis will be allowed to enable it. It will probably be just for those that are already using it.

Loading editor
    • How do I get JS working?

Loading editor
    • ImportJS is working, though they still haven't set up js review IIRC.

Semantic MediaWiki... don't count on it. It's a ten gallon drum of worms. We're more likely going to get something like Cargo.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: ImportJS is working, though they still haven't set up js review IIRC.

I thought JS review was working as that is what the original post said?

Loading editor
    • HumansCanWinElves
      HumansCanWinElves removed this reply because:
      Wrong
      13:54, August 13, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • JS Review worked the time I tried it, but that was July 30th and I haven't tried since. You do need to request it be enabled (just like legacy wikis) if you haven't already.

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.