FANDOM

• I got a notification at my wiki, which redirected me to fanlabcommunity survey. Some people from other wiki's got the same notif. I took the poll and they said community is full after i did it. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Loading editor
    • No clue. I got it as well but just ignored it

Loading editor
    • I was wondering about this myself. I think I have heard/seen it mentioned in passing once but don't really know what it is. Perhaps it is a replacement for Community Council? The described purpose sounds similar; but for Fandom Inc. as a whole instead of just FANDOM wikis.

Loading editor
    • The Fan Lab is powered by (i.e., led by) Fuel Cycle, a research and marketing company that claims to have powered Hulu and Google, along with dozens of lesser companies. The Fan Lab is, from what I've pieced together, essentially a large reference pool where you share opinions on various entertainment-related things with both the "Company" and other "Members."

Do be aware that they're asking you to disclose personal information, and the terms and conditions explicitely state that if you agree to said terms and conditions, you're essentially giving them permission to collect as much personal information available to them on this site for research purposes. If you don't have much info aside from typical registration stuff (first/last names, e-mail adress, etc.), then you can probably join and still be safe, but don't forget that their whole purpose is getting data, and basically anything you put on the internet is subject to their research.

Personally, I think the whole thing is a bad idea. I don't trust research companies. But it's up to you whether it's worth it to check it out.

Loading editor
    • RandomGirl1995 wrote: The Fan Lab is powered by (i.e., led by) Fuel Cycle, a research and marketing company that claims to have powered Hulu and Google, along with dozens of lesser companies. The Fan Lab is, from what I've pieced together, essentially a large reference pool where you share opinions on various entertainment-related things with both the "Company" and other "Members."

Do be aware that they're asking you to disclose personal information, and the terms and conditions explicitely state that if you agree to said terms and conditions, you're essentially giving them permission to collect as much personal information available to them on this site for research purposes. If you don't have much info aside from typical registration stuff (first/last names, e-mail adress, etc.), then you can probably join and still be safe, but don't forget that their whole purpose is getting data, and basically anything you put on the internet is subject to their research.

Personally, I think the whole thing is a bad idea. I don't trust research companies. But it's up to you whether it's worth it to check it out.

Which is the reason the moment they started askin for personal info I closed the tab and dismissed the notification

Loading editor
    • Same here.

Loading editor
    • Hey, for some context: Fan Lab is a research community Fandom is putting together made up of users (primarily logged out users) from Fandom and Gamepedia wikis as well as our D&D Beyond, ScreenJunkies, Muthead, and Futhead platforms. The goal is to better understand the needs, wants, and opinions of people who consume content on Fandom platforms. Just like how Community Council is a group for wiki editors, this will help us make better and more informed decisions that meet the needs of the hundreds of millions of people who use our sites every month. The reason it asks for some of the information described here is so we can make sure that the group is demographically representative of our userbase. That way, the opinions and feedback shared there are as accurate as possible.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for the info. If the focus is anons, then perhaps you guys should have found a way to show the notifications to anons only. Although, based on the rest of your description, it sounds like the focus is really just viewers, not necessarily specifically anons.

Loading editor
    • Logged in users can also register for the group.

Loading editor
    • I do wonder if the information requested is really only for demographic purposes... unless they promise security and anonymity, you usually get neither and sometime you don't either even when they promise.

That said, Fuel Cycle seems to be GDPR compliant.

Loading editor
    • The survey they ask is extra and really invasive. They ask you questions that aren't even needed before you even sign up. Then much more after you do.

Loading editor
    • I don't disbelieve you, but without specific examples, it sounds a bit like paranoia.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: I do wonder if the information requested is really only for demographic purposes... unless they promise security and anonymity, you usually get neither and sometime you don't either even when they promise.

That said, Fuel Cycle seems to be GDPR compliant.

It is just for demographic purposes. Nothing that is done in Fan Lab will be targetable through our ad platform and we will not be selling any of the data in the Fan Lab.

Loading editor
    • But will Fuel Cycle be selling it? Just because FANDOM isn't doesn't necessarily protect the data.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: But will Fuel Cycle be selling it? Just because FANDOM isn't doesn't necessarily protect the data.

No, they will not. Any data that is collected is solely for the purposes of demographic representation and doesn't leave the walls of Fandom.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      I don't disbelieve you, but without specific examples, it sounds a bit like paranoia.

One of the questions was how much did you go to the theater before COVID-19. There was no option that you have never been to the theater. That question was after signing up. "For each row, please indicate the number of children 17 or younger who currently live in your household.", "Which of the following ranges includes your total annual household income, before taxes? ", "Which of the following categories best describes your employment status.", "How big of a fan are you of the topics listed below?" More in 10 questions in and I haven't even registered into platform yet and yes you are asked many more questions after you register.

Answer wrong and you will be looking at.

​Sorry!

Thanks for your interest! Unfortunately, we’re currently looking for members who meet other criteria. Please look out for future opportunities with The Fan Lab.

Fan Lab is a kinda suspicious research community. Because when you see the notification it says learn more about it. You will not know anything other then it was research community being powered by Fandom until after seeing this thread. Nor who they are associated with. Plus if I look up Fan Lab on google not a single page explains what it is in relation to Fandom.

"Fan Lab is a research community Fandom is putting together made up of users (primarily logged out users) from Fandom and Gamepedia wikis as well as our D&D Beyond, ScreenJunkies, Muthead, and Futhead platforms. The goal is to better understand the needs, wants, and opinions of people who consume content on Fandom platforms." The problem with that statement is "primarily logged out users" honestly seems like a way to collect a ton of data on the users and a lot of the questions are personal questions that do not go with the intent. Considering that a Fandom and Gamepedia is a primary user-made platform with Fandom being what the President is to the Governors. If you are associated with Fuel Cycle and if you are asking people any questions then they should be redirected directly to an explanation page that explains the survey they are going to be taking before being sent to the survey and the survey shouldn't be asking specific questions like "For each row, please indicate the number of children 17 or younger who currently live in your household." or like "How much did you go to the theater before COVID-19." otherwise this entire thread happens because people get suspicious. That person's response is fair because you are supposed to be careful when putting any information online. Otherwise, it normally ends with information being sold to someone or some group.

Edit: Also, a lot of questions are asked before you are disqualified in the first place. Everything other than that theater was asked before I was disqualified in my second test.

Loading editor
    • Those examples don't seem terribly troublesome. The stuff you should worry about would be things that could easily make you identifiable like address, phone number, specific age, any ID numbers, non-FANDOM account names, financial or medical data, or anything that could be an answer in a typical security question.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Those examples don't seem terribly troublesome. The stuff you should worry about would be things that could easily make you identifiable like address, phone number, specific age, any ID numbers, non-FANDOM account names, financial or medical data, or anything that could be an answer in a typical security question.

Specific age, yes they ask that. Really it is a wildcard because I stopped after a while because of the amount of the questions. With enough questions asked they can easily find out who you are along with them asking for an email address and password to sign up to something you still have no idea exactly what it is. They don't tell you anything.

Loading editor
    • Well, if they ask your specific age, then that is bad and I wouldn't fill it out. That's a red flag.

Loading editor
    • The age question was the only atypical demographic question. Everything else was pretty standard. Even then, I don't see how asking for a specific age any significantly more risky than asking for an age range. They still don't have enough info to actually find out who you are.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      The age question was the only atypical demographic question. Everything else was pretty standard. Even then, I don't see how asking for a specific age any significantly more risky than asking for an age range. They still don't have enough info to actually find out who you are.

Basic Cyber Security knowledge, any information given decreases your anonymity. If I asked you enough questions I could figure out who you were easy.

Loading editor
    • Yes. But taking that logic to an extreme, you should never answer any question of any type on the internet. I think we can both agree that it is an acceptable risk to answer some types of questions.

Loading editor
    • Having just the age question isn't so bad, but it also doesn't really need to be that specific. And yes, you should consider never trying to answer any question on the internet, but it isn't practical. However, random surveys from companies you've never heard of isn't quite the same thing.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Having just the age question isn't so bad, but it also doesn't really need to be that specific. And yes, you should consider never trying to answer any question on the internet, but it isn't practical. However, random surveys from companies you've never heard of isn't quite the same thing.

Which leads to my problem that the survey is never explained when you click the learn more about button. You are just taken directly to the survey. Like for example, I had no idea that Fuel Cycle was involved. I thought it was at the very most just fandom involved. Any information you find is going to be in this thread. "But taking that logic to an extreme, you should never answer any question of any type on the internet. I think we can both agree that it is an acceptable risk to answer some types of questions" a typical survey isn't really that bad but they go too specific on every single one of the questions. A lot of questions are asked before they even find out if you are qualified. Then after you sign up you are asked countless other survey questions. To the point that I am assuming that it is a 50+ question survey. As Randomgirl said "Fuel Cycle, a research and marketing company that claims to have powered Hulu and Google, along with dozens of lesser companies. The Fan Lab is, from what I've pieced together, essentially a large reference pool where you share opinions on various entertainment-related things with both the "Company" and other "Members." Google is known for being "Google!" you can see where I am going with this. We have no idea what exactly is being logged. Adding that Fandom, unfortunately, seems shady in this case. Because the user doesn't even get an explanation of a single thing before being thrown into the survey and they are the only ones named with Fuel Cycle being somewhat involved in the background.

Loading editor
      1. Other than the age question, which other questions on the registration survey do you think where "too specific"?
      2. There were definitely fewer than 50 question on the registration survey. If you are talking about the post-registration survey, then that is different.
      3. Which questions on the registration survey are not needed; in your opinion?
        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.