FANDOM

• Maybe Gamepedia isn't the only outside community website FANDOM should merge with.

Everything related to Shoutwiki seems to have an even more extensive database of knowledge than certain FANDOM communities.

For more information see here: www.shoutwiki.com

Loading editor
    • Assuming you are not working for them, what makes me chose a wiki hosting platform is the extensions it supports. http://www.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Special:Version omits Dynamic Page List and Map, which would rule it out for me

Loading editor
    • Shoutwiki is a wiki farm that offers some features Fandom and Gamepedia don't provide, but also the other way round. And you say "should merge with" as if that's something that can just be done. If Shoutwiki's finances are at a state where the owners are looking for outside investors, maybe. But it's not like Fandom just picked Gamepedia out in the shop.

You seem to have an obsession with things merging - without understanding how mergers work.

Loading editor
    • Shout Wiki is a completely different entity from Fandom, which is fine. There can be multiple wiki farms that serve different needs and purposes, or even if they aren't that different, it wouldn't really matter.

Fandom isn't a flagship wiki farm for the entirety of the internet, and I don't think it's trying to be.

Loading editor
    • Then maybe Shoutwiki could just trade information with FANDOM so the latter website can keep itself up-to-date on everything as much as possible.

Loading editor
    • They are competitors. Not friends.

Loading editor
    • There would be significant issues if they did decide to merge. Here are just a few.

1. ShoutWiki allows private wikis while Fandom does not
      2. ShoutWiki commits to providing professional support whereas Fandom provides primarily peer-to-peer support
      3. ShoutWiki gets revenue via charging wiki founders subscription fees while Fandom places ads on wikis
        Loading editor
    • Then maybe FANDOM should merge with this site instead: https://toxicfandomsandhatedoms.miraheze.org/wiki/Toxic_Fandoms_%26_Hatedoms_Wiki

Loading editor
    • That is no different. Let the matter rest.

Loading editor
    • This merger thread is really just a "FANDOM does things I don't like thread" in disguise... and not a very good one.

Shoutwiki is smaller and lamer for a reason. TBH, I'm not sure why Twitch acquired Gamepedia from Curse, since it was obvious they didn't know what to do with it.

Loading editor
    • IIRC, they had some sort of side system or something Twitch liked. But as soon as that feature had outlived its usefullness, they had no idea what to do with Curse.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

TBH, I'm not sure why Twitch acquired Gamepedia from Curse, since it was obvious they didn't know what to do with it.

Twitch acquired Curse. Gamepedia was part of it. They didn't acquire Gamepedia from Curse.

Loading editor
    • That doesn't change much... I still don't know why Twitch acquired Curse.

Loading editor
    • It's good to have these two platforms separate instead of combining them - there will be a load of conflicts. ShoutWiki probably has some features that you prefer on Fandom, but that doesn't mean the same for everyone else. I never gave ShoutWiki a second look - not just because there was already a pre-existing (abandoned)¬†Fandom wiki for the topic I wanted, I really don't like the design of the ShoutWiki, the editor (I know it's also used by Wikipedia - hate it) and it feels more complicated to use than Fandom. However, if people prefer those features, then Shoutwiki will work for them.

Loading editor
    • The impression I got is that Miraheze and ShoutWiki more or less stick to vanilla MediaWiki plus some public extensions. Fandom has custom extensions and styling so yes things will still be different. However, with the new direction of aligning more with vanilla MediaWiki, Fandom/Gamepedia wikis will probably look closer to Miraheze and ShoutWiki than they previously have. But that is just a guess on my part.

Loading editor
    • Personally, I like how FANDOM keeps the main article content mostly on the left and has a right rail rather than Gamepedia, Wikipedia, and vanilla MediaWiki with their left rail. If I came from a right to left culture, I might think otherwise, but that's how I see it. It bothers me enough that it discourages me from contributing to Gamepedia, so if FANDOM switches to the vanilla style, my contributions will probably drop.

Loading editor
    • Perhaps but the purposes of the rails are different. The rails on the other farms are for navigational purposes; what Fandom puts at the top. Gamepedia still has ads on the right despite also having the left rail.

Loading editor
    • I think, also, with MH and SW being "vanilla Mediawiki", they look less welcoming than Fandom. Fandom has a more modern design, and gives admins the option of customising the wikis to look even better.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.