FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    New thread time
    18:21, July 23, 2020

Keep swimming, Sailers! It's almost the weekend!

This week, we deployed a LOT of stuff. I'm seeing 27 tickets closed in releases. Most of them were backend changes or preparing for additional releases, but there are a few ones we'd like to highlight.

JavaScript Review

After lots of great work by our engineers, JS Review has been unblocked for UCP and we'll be able to start enabling custom JavaScript on UCP wikis soon!

Moderating your own Message Wall

You are now able to delete messages and replies on your own wall.

Migration Improvements

We've made some upgrades to our legacy to UCP migration script, including allowing the batching of wikis for migration, automatically purging the CDN at the conclusion of a migration, and other tweaks to improve the process.

Gadgets

The Gadgets extension has been ported to the UCP.

Spotify

The Spotify widget has been migrated to the UCP.

Next things:

Discussions enhancements are progressing.

As I've confirmed several times, Blogs will be coming to the UCP and the development of that feature is ongoing.

Loading editor
    • It's really awesome to see JS moved over, and to control your own message wall!

I did notice a bug: over on this wiki, i was granted admin/bureaucrat rights a few months ago, and voluntarily stepped down a few weeks ago - but for some reason, it still shows the "Bureaucrat" tag on my profile, despite no longer having those rights.

Loading editor
    • TortoiseCat5 wrote: It's really awesome to see JS moved over, and to control your own message wall!

I did notice a bug: over on this wiki, i was granted admin/bureaucrat rights a few months ago, and voluntarily stepped down a few weeks ago - but for some reason, it still shows the "Bureaucrat" tag on my profile, despite no longer having those rights.

The temporary user rights is probably broken, since I similarly have the user tag displayed here: https://writing-tips.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/UpnCbs06?useskin=oasis despite the fact that it was intended to be given temporarily.

Loading editor
    • As mentioned in previous thread before it was closed (about the lack of crawl or less crawl due to ### discussions urls) and noting your "Discussions enhancements are progressing".

Is that a direct reference or unrelated?

I don't use spotify but is there any preview on this new widget in use?

Loading editor
    • Can you clarify if ImportJS is supposed to work on UCP wikis or not?

Loading editor
    • Hollowness wrote:

I don't use spotify but is there any preview on this new widget in use?

Help:Audio#Spotify, I imagine it'll behave the same on both Legacy and UCP wikis.

Loading editor
    • "You are now able to delete messages and replies on your own wall."

Will mods be able to override this? like if I delete a message I expect a regular user to not be able to restore it. Also will you be able to view deleted threads on your own wall?

Loading editor
    • I see bad users delete admin warnings on their wall and mark it as spam on CC (example). I was wondering unless you block a user for doing that to admins, how does one work around that?

Loading editor
    • The times I've seen that happen the mod in question usually restores it and tells the user to not remove mod warnings again.

I did all the following as an admin but it should be the same as a thread mod.

I tested making a post as an admin, deleting it as an unprivileged user, and then finally restoring it as an admin.

Users can lock, delete, and restore posts from their wall without issue. Admins can restore messages a user has deleted from their wall, though the UI is a bit broken atm:

2020-07-09 15-restoring-deleted
      The kebab menu is transparent and the "Restore deleted post" message is unlocalized.
      The messy UI affects the user who deleted the message and admins attempting to restore the message.

When a user attempts to delete a message that existed on their wall prior to this update you receive the generic error

There has been a problem deleting the message. Please try again.

The Owner of the message wall and admins can both see the deleted message but other users cannot see them.

When an admin restores a message the green confirmation banner appears but instead of being localized the message is

⧼messagewall-action-restorethread-successful⧽

Loading editor
    • Wait a second, 

"After lots of great work by our engineers, JS Review has been unblocked for UCP and we'll be able to start enabling custom JavaScript on UCP wikis soon!"

What he meant? i mean js has been enabled? or will be enabled? 

i'm asking this , because ofcourse i'm confused, 

and if Js is working\enabled on UCP wikis now, then why my Wiki's Import.Js is like this:(see 1st photo)
      OnPaste.20200710-022914

See?

Same with MediaWiki:Wikia.js : (see 2nd photo)
      OnPaste.20200710-023314

See? i still can't edit it, even i'm Bcrat there.

LuvOf99Th ^_^ 21:35, July 9, 2020 (UTC).

Loading editor
    • Second half of the sentence

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

After lots of great work by our engineers, JS Review has been unblocked for UCP and we'll be able to start enabling custom JavaScript on UCP wikis soon!

(emphasis mine)

Meaning that it's not available at this time but will be soon

Loading editor
    • Ohhh k , Himmalerin , i hope it'll be a Little "Soon" not loong one,

LuvOf99Th ^_^ 21:39, July 9, 2020 (UTC).

Loading editor
    • Great release highlights! One question, though: will the Discussions enhancements include the condensed view of Discussions and maybe other improvements?

Loading editor
    • I'm glad I'm not the only one asking about ImportJS, but it is hard to predict which questions will get answered.

Loading editor
    • True Fandyllic true, 

i'm really worried about  ImportJS ... T_T, LuvOf99Th ^_^ 22:25, July 9, 2020 (UTC).

Loading editor
    • Hey, it would be nice for our wiki if we could disable moderation of user's own walls, as we use it as a warning system and users could delete warns.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one asking about ImportJS, but it is hard to predict which questions will get answered.

Personally, I'm not sure why this is a question people keep asking. It seems to be fairly well known that JS and things that depend on it such as importJS do not work on UCP wikis yet. The help page even says "This feature is not currently available on new wikis which use the new Unified Community Platform".

reply to #16

Souliousery wrote:

Hey, it would be nice for our wiki if we could disable moderation of user's own walls, as we use it as a warning system and users could delete warns.

Users can moderate their walls on legacy wikis as well, I can close, remove, and restore anything on my wall here on CC despite having no special rights. Like talked about above, the response to people removing your warning is usually to restore it and issue them a second warning about removing mod threads.

Loading editor
    • People keep asking about ImportJS because the Help pages have poor discoverability, are usually out-of-date, and FANDOM staff's UCP posts keep talking about Javascript Review even though ImportJS does not need Javascript Review.

Loading editor
    • TortoiseCat5 wrote: It's really awesome to see JS moved over, and to control your own message wall!

That happens sometimes, it happened to me before also, but is because of issues with caching I think.It should update automatically eventually. I may be wrong, and sorry if I am.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I thought that too - but those rights were stepped down 3 months ago, and it still shows that, making it rather doubtful.

Loading editor
    • TortoiseCat5 wrote: Yeah, I thought that too - but those rights were stepped down 3 months ago, and it still shows that, making it rather doubtful.

For me, it was just as long.

Loading editor
    • New updates are looking good! Are the old ACE code editors going to be ported over? I am really a fan of the ACE editors.

Loading editor
    • As far as I know, for the CSS, the UCP wikis are using a different code editor.

Loading editor
    • Some cool changes

Loading editor
    • Can you provide status on the following? I know it's been pretty busy but I'm having trouble finding any acknowledgements of these issues and they're still affecting my wiki

• source editor window still takes a few seconds more than non-UCP source editor to load
      • toolbox bar is collapsed by default, hard to find for people who don't know it's still there
      • Help:Unified Community Platform page does not list any missing features or workarounds that I can see, despite being claimed as an alternative to User:Noreplyz/UCP#Missing features. As such, it reads less as a help page and more as a press release. Please revise or create new blog to include cataloging of non-bug user feature reports and what the FANDOM direction or workaround on them will be
      • New wiki layout is no longer compatible with PseudoMonobook, as employing it removes the "edit" bar. Can you please clarify what could have changed in how the edit bar is named or defined from the previous format that would cause it to be caught by the PseudoMonobook filter?
      • "Save changes" button cannot be reached without scrolling back to top of edit window
      • unable to leave messages for anonymous editors like on wikipedia or wikimedia
      • "edit" and "edit source" both displayed at each editable header -- can we change something in preferences to show only one?
      • no mail icon to notify of message wall changes across FANDOM (this one was acknowledged, is there any sort of ETA on it?)
      • "e" and "d" no longer work as hotkeys for edit and delete
      • "ctrl+f" while in new source editor pop up a wikia-specific window instead of letting me use the browser search function. We need a way to disable this in preferences.
      • only possible to use the old source editor (with the working Ctrl+F) when undoing an edit. Please make it available in preferences for any editing.
      • "show changes" now requires going to "preview" and then "review your changes" from the edit window, instead of being one button. This is especially awful when the page being edited is long with many pictures or templates, which can cause exorbitant lag on slower connections; "Show changes" used to be the solution to that problem!
      • similarly, "templates used" is now part of a dropdown and popup instead of just being an everpresent button on the edit window
      • edit window sometimes has a mandatory "describe what you changed" popup
      • categories only appear at top of page, and only show the first three categories. This makes it more annoying on browser, and a too-annoying-to-deal-with hassle on mobile. An especially bad problem on gamecruft wikis that use categories extensively to allow navigation of various items, cards, etc.
      • this is not new to UCP I think, but many non-thumb images go straight to the file instead of the file page when clicked. I can't find a consistent pattern, though.
      • Special:NewFiles and categories no longer show the name of the file under the image
        Loading editor
    • KrytenKoro wrote: Can you provide status on the following? I know it's been pretty busy but I'm having trouble finding any acknowledgements of these issues and they're still affecting my wiki

• source editor window still takes a few seconds more than non-UCP source editor to load (We've been iterating on this, but we don't disclose the changes, as we want to see results without confirmation bias)
      • toolbox bar is collapsed by default, hard to find for people who don't know it's still there (Fixed and announced to the point that it was mentioned in a recent Release Highlights title)
      • Help:Unified Community Platform page does not list any missing features or workarounds that I can see, despite being claimed as an alternative to User:Noreplyz/UCP#Missing features. As such, it reads less as a help page and more as a press release. Please revise or create new blog to include cataloging of non-bug user feature reports and what the FANDOM direction or workaround on them will be (Never presented as a 1:1 replacement. No, we won't be providing a comprehensive list of all feedback collected)
      • New wiki layout is no longer compatible with PseudoMonobook, as employing it removes the "edit" bar. Can you please clarify what could have changed in how the edit bar is named or defined from the previous format that would cause it to be caught by the PseudoMonobook filter?
      • "Save changes" button cannot be reached without scrolling back to top of edit window (Working on this and other edit UI requests)
      • unable to leave messages for anonymous editors like on wikipedia or wikimedia (we're not wikipedia or wikimedia and our user flow is different)
      • "edit" and "edit source" both displayed at each editable header -- can we change something in preferences to show only one? (probably not a preference issue, but I'll raise it for evaluation)
      • no mail icon to notify of message wall changes across FANDOM (this one was acknowledged, is there any sort of ETA on it?) (no ETA)
      • "e" and "d" no longer work as hotkeys for edit and delete (we switched to MediaWiki standard keybinds)
      • "ctrl+f" while in new source editor pop up a wikia-specific window instead of letting me use the browser search function. We need a way to disable this in preferences. (I'll see if this is possible)
      • only possible to use the old source editor (with the working Ctrl+F) when undoing an edit. Please make it available in preferences for any editing. (use of baseline stock source editor not intended, but it has been raised as a desired option, since it's stock anyway)
      • "show changes" now requires going to "preview" and then "review your changes" from the edit window, instead of being one button. This is especially awful when the page being edited is long with many pictures or templates, which can cause exorbitant lag on slower connections; "Show changes" used to be the solution to that problem! (see above edit UI note)
      • similarly, "templates used" is now part of a dropdown and popup instead of just being an everpresent button on the edit window (nothing to report here, but I will raise your feedback)
      • edit window sometimes has a mandatory "describe what you changed" popup (again, see edit UI note)
      • categories only appear at top of page, and only show the first three categories. This makes it more annoying on browser, and a too-annoying-to-deal-with hassle on mobile. An especially bad problem on gamecruft wikis that use categories extensively to allow navigation of various items, cards, etc. (will raise this)
      • this is not new to UCP I think, but many non-thumb images go straight to the file instead of the file page when clicked. I can't find a consistent pattern, though. (believe this is intended functionality to help SEO, but will double check)
      • Special:NewFiles and categories no longer show the name of the file under the image (will raise this)

My notes presented in line in ( )

Loading editor
    • reply to #25

KrytenKoro wrote:
      • source editor window still takes a few seconds more than non-UCP source editor to load

I've found after the first time I load the editor it's much, much faster on subsequent loads, down from 1.5-2 seconds to as fast as the legacy editor. Oddly enough it's across all tabs despite browser sandboxing. I guess something gets cached?

reply to #26

MisterWoodhouse wrote:
      KrytenKoro wrote:
      • "edit" and "edit source" both displayed at each editable header -- can we change something in preferences to show only one?

probably not a preference issue, but I'll raise it for evaluation

It'd probably be best to have one edit link that just uses your preferred editor but given how the UCP editor works I'm not sure how feasible that is.

MisterWoodhouse wrote:
      KrytenKoro wrote:
      • "e" and "d" no longer work as hotkeys for edit and delete

we switched to MediaWiki standard keybinds

Which should be [Alt]+[Shift]+[e] for editing, but that doesn't work. I made a ticket for it ~2 months ago, see Zendesk ticket #940109

Loading editor
    • No, we won't be providing a comprehensive list of all feedback collected

I'm not asking for a comprehensive list of all feedback collected, but a list of all known features removed or changed with solutions on workarounds is a pretty basic ask. Surely y'all keep some sort of changelog somewhere so you can know what changes you actually made?

we're not wikipedia or wikimedia and our user flow is different

I don't understand how that's relevant. Being able to communicate with anons is an important part of wiki editing, and the core justifying premise of UCP, as far as I can tell from the PR, is to bring us in line with the current wikimedia setup, so why doesn't it allow us to leave messages for anon editors like on wikimedia?

Which are what?

use of baseline stock source editor not intended, but it has been raised as a desired option, since it's stock anyway

Can you please give insight into why new approaches are being pushed as standard that are not a necessary part of being compatible with the newest wikimedia setups? If it's not what the newest wikimedia stuff is doing, wouldn't that push us right back into the "heavily customized wikimedia version makes it difficult to update" situation?

believe this is intended functionality to help SEO, but will double check

Is there a way to turn it off? This functionality is a huge pain, both as an editor and as a reader

Loading editor
    • We're pushing the 2017 Editor from Wikimedia because it's the latest editor they have and still receives active development. We're not doing an exact 1:1 copy of what they do or what Wikipedia does because we're not them. Our users are different.

We're not making heavy modifications to the core. Customizations we're making are largely done on top of MediaWiki, keeping the core updating process streamlined.

Loading editor
    • The accesskey attribute is missing from the "edit source" button (and others), but it's possible to write a browser userscript to restore it.

I know it's a lot, but I have some more UCP feedback. Mostly it's about features new to MW 1.33, or features useful (or critical) for developers or power users.

1. The <indicator> tag does not work. (Test page)
      2. Modules do not have the debug console. (Test link; Gamepedia link to demonstrate expected behavior) This is a critical debug feature for module developers, and without it finding errors before saving changes would be much more difficult.
      3. mw.log(), mw.logObject(), and mw.addWarning() Scribunto functions have no effect. (Test page; the messages should be somehow accessible for editors.) The log/logObject functions are also very important for developers. The addWarning function is more user-facing.
      4. The NewPP parser reports are unavailable without saving changes. (On Gamepedia, they are visible when previewing changes, allowing to measure the performance impact of page components without making potentially breaking changes.)

It's not impossible issue 1 is caused by the Oasis skin, and issues 2–4 are caused by the 2017 editor, but in particular 2 and 3 are severe enough that I don't believe it's appropriate to consider UCP production-ready without fixing them.

Also, I'm currently not logged in, and I know Fandom sometimes makes advanced functionality completely hidden from unregistered editors, so some of these issues may be solely because of that.

Loading editor
    • KrytenKoro wrote:

Which are what?

Like I mentioned above, they're currently broken for some reason. If they were working it'd be as described on WP:KS

Loading editor
    • 92.255.137.33 wrote:

The accesskey attribute is missing from the "edit source" button (and others), but it's possible to write a browser userscript to restore it.

I know it's a lot, but I have some more UCP feedback. Mostly it's about features new to MW 1.33, or features useful (or critical) for developers or power users.

1. The <indicator> tag does not work. (Test page)
      2. Modules do not have the debug console. (Test link; Gamepedia link to demonstrate expected behavior) This is a critical debug feature for module developers, and without it finding errors before saving changes would be much more difficult.
      3. mw.log(), mw.logObject(), and mw.addWarning() Scribunto functions have no effect. (Test page; the messages should be somehow accessible for editors.) The log/logObject functions are also very important for developers. The addWarning function is more user-facing.
      4. The NewPP parser reports are unavailable without saving changes. (On Gamepedia, they are visible when previewing changes, allowing to measure the performance impact of page components without making potentially breaking changes.)

It's not impossible issue 1 is caused by the Oasis skin, and issues 2–4 are caused by the 2017 editor, but in particular 2 and 3 are severe enough that I don't believe it's appropriate to consider UCP production-ready without fixing them.

Also, I'm currently not logged in, and I know Fandom sometimes makes advanced functionality completely hidden from unregistered editors, so some of these issues may be solely because of that.

1. So why would you expect the <indicator> tag to work? Did you read Help:HTML? You can't assume all HTML will work.
      2. Gamepedia is a totally different platform from UCP and you can't compare them.
      3. Until it is announce that Scributo on UCP has parity with something like Wikipedia, you can't expect everything to work the same.
      4. See #2.

Have you reviewed User:Noreplyz/UCP?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      1. So why would you expect the <indicator> tag to work? Did you read Help:HTML? You can't assume all HTML will work.
      2. Gamepedia is a totally different platform from UCP and you can't compare them.
      3. Until it is announce that Scributo on UCP has parity with something like Wikipedia, you can't expect everything to work the same.
      4. See #2.

Have you reviewed User:Noreplyz/UCP?

1. I have reviewed User:Noreplyz/UCP, none of the issues listed are mentioned there.
      2. Help:HTML is irrelevant. Not only indicator tags aren't final HTML tags (they're tag extensions), indicators are a new feature in vanilla MediaWiki. This feature is specifically intended as a replacement to all the ad-hoc solutions – solutions that some, or many, Fandom wikis use. Indicators are actually used on Gamepedia wikis, but on Fandom!UCP, they silently fail. If it is a problem with UCP itself and not the Oasis skin (which should be fixable anyway), Gamepedia wikis will silently break after the migration.
      3. "Gamepedia is a totally different platform from UCP and you can't compare them." Statements of this form are never relevant. The platforms are similar in some specific ways and different in some specific ways. It needs to be explained in detail for each specific case which of these similarities/differences are relevant. Right now you're summarily dismissing valid (not shown to be invalid) concerns about UCP on an immaterial basis.
        1. The debug console is a critical feature from vanilla MediaWiki that is also present on legacy Fandom.
      4. "Until it is announce that Scributo on UCP has parity with something like Wikipedia, you can't expect everything to work the same." No relevance. The three functions listed are critical for module debugging, and work in vanilla MediaWiki (though probably only with the 2010 editor). They work on Gamepedia now, and their absence will be a major regression that would become critical if the debug console is also absent.
      5. "See #2" – see the explanation why your dismissal of #2 is irrelevant.
        Loading editor
    • So when did FANDOM staff say UCP will have exact feature parity with latest vanilla MediaWiki... I must have missed that.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: So when did FANDOM staff say UCP will have exact feature parity with latest vanilla MediaWiki... I must have missed that.

You didn't miss anything. We have always maintained that we're updating the software, but have never claimed feature parity with vanilla.

Exact feature parity with vanilla would be a regression in numerous areas of functionality. Not even Wikipedia has that. So much of the MediaWiki experience is enhanced through Extensions.

Furthermore, we've avoided the phrase feature parity overall because it leaves basically no room for innovation and tailoring to use cases, marketplace trends, updates, etc.

Loading editor
    • About the same time they said it's not appropriate to give feedback on the absence of these features – features that are important for developers on legacy Fandom and on Gamepedia, which has all of them, meaning their absence on UCP would be a major regression.

Staff never said UCP will have exact feature parity with vanilla MW.

Staff never said it's inappropriate to give feedback on missing features.

UCP will be implemented on Gamepedia too, so unless it has been positively stated or shown that some feature will remain undamaged, Gamepedia community members can be expected to be concerned if the current Fandom!UCP version does not have these features.

Loading editor
    • I'm glad that Gamepedia folks are taking notice... if a bit late.

FYI, getting an account and login in on FANDOM is far easier than Gamepedia (I almost never log into Gamepedia, because the Twitch thing is unbelievably painful), you should try it.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: I'm glad that Gamepedia folks are taking notice... if a bit late.

FYI, getting an account and login in on FANDOM is far easier than Gamepedia (I almost never log into Gamepedia, because the Twitch thing is unbelievably painful), you should try it.

Easy there with the condescending tone. Gamepedia folks have been following along for a while.

Loading editor
    • A bit late for what? I've been taking notice ever since the first announcement on F/G.

FYI, getting an account on Fandom is not very useful for me right now. I would automatically get one when the account systems get merged, and if I registered one now, that could result in some weird and difficult-to-resolve conflicts.

As for the Twitch thing, I know. That comes up frequently, and makes people post mad rants on wiki discussion pages.

Loading editor
    • It's okay Mr. Woodhouse... we know where you came from.

Gamepedia folks may have been following for awhile, but their feedback has been pretty minimal up until now. Maybe they know the transition will hit them much later.

Loading editor
    • Feedback in places you frequent? Maybe it was minimal. Feedback in places you don't frequent? It hardly was minimal.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: It's okay Mr. Woodhouse... we know where you came from.

Gamepedia folks may have been following for awhile, but their feedback has been pretty minimal up until now. Maybe they know the transition will hit them much later.

Fun Fact: I was a Wikia user 3 years before I joined Gamepedia. /shrug

There's been some great feedback from Gamepedia people on Discord, in Council, in Fellowship, among our supertesters, etc. Generally, Gamepedia-primary users don't engage with Community Central.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I don't do Discord (although I have an account) and the others aren't public.

Fun fact: There is a huge difference between being a user and working for a company.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Yeah, I don't do Discord (although I have an account) and the others aren't public.

Fun fact: There is a huge difference between being a user and working for a company.

Yup and I don't have a specific allegiance to either platform. My allegiance is to both platforms, as a user and staffer of both.

Loading editor
    • Prove it and get some Gamepedia wikis converted to UCP...

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Prove it and get some Gamepedia wikis converted to UCP...

Project timelines are not mine to meddle with for your personal satisfaction. I think we'll drop this topic at that.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, it's only my personal satisfaction... not Gamepedia wikis being protected from UCP.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Yeah, it's only my personal satisfaction... not Gamepedia wikis being protected from UCP.

Gamepedia has a smaller dedicated dev team and, among other things, they have been going through the colossal undertaking of unifying the login system, which is a major blocker for Gamepedia migrations.

Loading editor
    • Well that's good to know actually. The Gamepedia login is one of the worst things I've ever experienced on the internet. I guess that's worth delaying UCP migration for.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Well that's good to know actually. The Gamepedia login is one of the worst things I've ever experienced on the internet. I guess that's worth delaying UCP migration for.

You'll be thrilled to learn that the Twitch requirement will soon be no more then!

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

You'll be thrilled to learn that the Twitch requirement will soon be no more then!

Huzzah!

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Fandyllic wrote: Well that's good to know actually. The Gamepedia login is one of the worst things I've ever experienced on the internet. I guess that's worth delaying UCP migration for.

Thank God for that. I don't use Twitch and really wasn't looking forward to having to create an account just to partake in Gamepedia wiki's

Loading editor
    • Furthermore, we've avoided the phrase feature parity overall because it leaves basically no room for innovation and tailoring to use cases, marketplace trends, updates, etc.

But the things that are currently in use that the UCP migration breaks, y'all will be fixing those, right?

Another one I just noticed -- on the old editor, the page title (next to "Editing") was still a link, so you could open up the current version of the page as a tab, which is useful for stuff like copying over what is in the previous version of a page or in another section, without having to cancel out or go to show changes, or if you're doing certain forms of high-volume edits like adding categories to a lot of similarly-named pages all at once (you could hit the edit link on one, right click the title to open a new tab, modify the url as needed, hit edit on that one, etc.). I used that a lot in adding pages to my boardgame/cardgame wikis. I can't find an approximation for that feature in the new editor, any suggestions?

Loading editor
    • KrytenKoro wrote:

Furthermore, we've avoided the phrase feature parity overall because it leaves basically no room for innovation and tailoring to use cases, marketplace trends, updates, etc.

But the things that are currently in use that the UCP migration breaks, y'all will be fixing those, right?

Another one I just noticed -- on the old editor, the page title (next to "Editing") was still a link, so you could open up the current version of the page as a tab, which is useful for stuff like copying over what is in the previous version of a page or in another section, without having to cancel out or go to show changes, or if you're doing certain forms of high-volume edits like adding categories to a lot of similarly-named pages all at once (you could hit the edit link on one, right click the title to open a new tab, modify the url as needed, hit edit on that one, etc.). I used that a lot in adding pages to my boardgame/cardgame wikis. I can't find an approximation for that feature in the new editor, any suggestions?

That is very easy to do with JavaScript if you really want it. You just need to use a ve is active hook, then use JavaScript to modify the HTML of that element within the hook. I will make it later if you want.

Loading editor
    • That is very easy to do with JavaScript if you really want it. You just need to use a ve is active hook, then use JavaScript to modify the HTML of that element within the hook. I will make it later if you want.

That would help, yes.

I also wanted to add, I'm still noticing a major slowness when editing large pages with the source editor, and often the curse doesn't even show up when I click. It also takes a second or two to switch between tabs with the editor open.

Loading editor
    • I already have something similar in my UCP global JS that I believe does what you want.

/**
       * Convert the page title inside the VisualEditor into a link pointing
       * back to the original page.
       */
      (function () {
      	// Don't run unless the VisualEditor has loaded
      	mw.hook('ve.activationComplete').add(function () {
      		// Get the name of the page and replace underscores with spaces
      		var currentPageName = mw.config.get('wgPageName').replace(/_/g, ' ');
      		// Find the VisualEditor Page Title
      		var VETitle = document.getElementsByClassName(
      			've-init-mw-desktopArticleTarget-title'
      		)[0];

// Create a link to the current page
      		var link = document.createElement('a');
      		// Set the href to be
      		link.href = window.location.pathname;
      		// Set the title for mouseover
      		link.title = currentPageName;
      		// Always open in a new tab
      		link.target = '_blank';
      		link.rel = 'noreferrer noopener';
      		// Set the text to be the page name
      		link.textContent = currentPageName;

// Remove the original title
      		VETitle.textContent = '';
      		// Add the link to the title
      		VETitle.appendChild(link);
      	});
      })();
        Loading editor
    • Global personal JS works on UCP wikis?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Global personal JS works on UCP wikis?

Yes, with a catch. Gotta put it on ucp.fandom.com for it to apply right now.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Fandyllic wrote: Global personal JS works on UCP wikis?

Yes, with a catch. Gotta put it on ucp.fandom.com for it to apply right now.

Where exactly? Because I know I have an global Js page here and then I have another one on UCP?

Loading editor
    • It's the same layout. So you'd make w:c:ucp:User:Asarta/global.js or w:c:ucp:User:Asarta/global.css for JS or CSS, respectively.

It's important to note that importing JS (through importArticles) and CSS (through @import or importArticles) doesn't work yet though! Per post #1 it should be arriving soon.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: It's the same layout. So you'd make w:c:ucp:User:Asarta/global.js or w:c:ucp:User:Asarta/global.css for JS or CSS, respectively.

It's important to note that importing JS (through importArticles) and CSS (through @import or importArticles) doesn't work yet though! Per post #1 it should be arriving soon.

In that case I'm going to wait a little bit until Import works. Thanks for the explanation anyway!

Loading editor
    • I think this might have already been mentioned, but I'm also noticing that when you preview a page, it does not use the current state of the templates, it uses whatever they were when you first started editing that page. Therefore, if I'm tweaking templates to get them to load right, I have to back out of the edit window and then back in, and then hit preview again, to see the changes.

Loading editor
    • Report it and add it to User:Noreplyz/UCP. I sympathize with those who are actively trying to get stuff to work with UCP right now. I'm going to wait.

Loading editor
    • For me, edit previews aren't showing at all, but returning, "Error loading data from server: (curl error: 52) Server returned nothing (no headers, no data)." Two, after I turned syntax highlighting off on accident, I can't turn it back on.

Loading editor
    • Also just noticed that I can't open an edit window in a new tab just by doing ctrl+click. I have to actually rightclick and go through the dropdown.

Also, tabs aren't working.

Loading editor
    • Works for me... the Mac equivalent of Cmd-click works fine too. What browser are you using. I tested both on Chrome.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Works for me... the Mac equivalent of Cmd-click works fine too. What browser are you using. I tested both on Chrome.

Using Chrome. This is on the Common.css page, where the button is "Edit source" instead of "edit".

Loading editor
    • KrytenKoro
      KrytenKoro removed this reply because:
      this must be what the JS Review thing is
      18:42, July 17, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • Okay I can repro that. It does still open the editor, so they probably won't fix it any time soon. It also repros on Firefox, so it could be intentional.

Loading editor
    • Found another issue. When I click the link that disables syntax highlighting for source mode from the Editor (Has the pencil icon), it disables syntax highlighting correctly. However, when I click the same link again to enable it, it does nothing and I want to enable it. Very urgant issue. Also, there's no option in preferences that controls syntax highlighting, unlike in the non-UCP platform

If someone could repro this one, it would be great

Loading editor
    • The syntax highlighting issue is already known.

Loading editor
    • I'm unsure whether I'm going off-topic or not, but where's the technical update for this week?

Loading editor
    • FANDOM never promises anything... most likely they don't have any significant features or fixes to talk about, so they aren't giving an update. My guess is they wanted to announce JS Review, but not surprisingly hit some snags.

Loading editor
    • As was said today during the Checkpoint on the Fandom/Gamepedia Discord servers, this week's release was almost entirely backend and not user-facing changes, except for a single bug fix. I believe a Release Highlights blog was already skipped in the past for this same reason.

Loading editor
    • When would all the wikis gonna be changed to the UCP (including the ones since 2012)? Thanks before hand.

Loading editor
    • All wikis will be migrated at some point, Woodhouse previously mentioned (in a blog comment) that the goal is to finish before the end of this year.

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote:
      All wikis will be migrated at some point, Woodhouse previously mentioned (in a blog comment) that the goal is to finish before the end of this year.

Thank you very much!!

Loading editor
    • Well Well , is there any new message/blog or something like this post have came by staff...? i mean technical changes about ucp wikis, or not?

(i hope u got my question user, because i know its a dumbest way to ask that question, but i'm on my phone RightNow 😅)

Loading editor
    • LuvOf99Th wrote: Well Well , is there any new message/blog or something like this post have came by staff...? i mean technical changes about ucp wikis, or not?

(i hope u got my question user, because i know its a dumbest way to ask that question, but i'm on my phone RightNow 😅)

I'm not certain what you mean, but they post an update about UCP on the Technical Updates part of the Forum

Loading editor
    • Ohk, i gotta fallow that then.

Loading editor
    • Are we going to have badges and an ACTUAL chat feature?

Loading editor
    • IAmaBoomer wrote: Are we going to have badges and an ACTUAL chat feature?

Per Help:UCP#Achievements achievements are coming.

Special:Chat's future is up in the air still afaik, if you want an "ACTUAL" chat feature there's Discord, Slack, Zulip, etc. I doubt Fandom has enough people on their team to maintain something on that scale and then integrate it into wikis.

Loading editor
    • Oh.

Loading editor
    • Don't hold your breath on Achievements... I would honestly be very surprised if it shows up before 2021.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Don't hold your breath on Achievements... I would honestly be very surprised if it shows up before 2021.

You'll be very surprised.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Fandyllic wrote: Don't hold your breath on Achievements... I would honestly be very surprised if it shows up before 2021.

You'll be very surprised.

Oooooh hopefully that means that we will get them soonish. Can I also take this opportunity to say I really like the amount of reactions you leave on these updates. It gives me the idea you're really listening to constructive feedback and reacting on it. Thanks for that.

Loading editor
    • Asarta wrote:

Oooooh hopefully that means that we will get them soonish. Can I also take this opportunity to say I really like the amount of reactions you leave on these updates. It gives me the idea you're really listening to constructive feedback and reacting on it. Thanks for that.

I pass along all the relevant feedback and we've gotten a lot of great improvements out of user feedback during this project.

Loading editor
    • TBH as an admin, I really wish Achievements were put on the back burner, but if they're coming sooner than expected, hopefully they are well tested.

Loading editor
    • The 6-choice limit in discussions polls is pretty annoying. Would it be too much to have that limit raised to 10 in UCP?

Loading editor
    • Or even 8. Also support an odd number.

Loading editor
    • Odd numbers work, just so long as there aren't images attatched.

Loading editor
    • Well, image polls are polls too.

Loading editor
    • New bug found:

As seen here, the "what links to" no longer nests pages that link to redirects that link to the queried page, which makes it a lot more difficult to use.

Also, opening up more than a few tabs starts taking multiple seconds per tab, whereas with the previous system it was basically as fast as you could click them in the first place.

Loading editor
    • Report it and add it to User:Noreplyz/UCP... that's strange. It's like they broke an existing feature intentionally.

Loading editor
    • ooooh Fandyllic. Sometimes you bring me so close to sarcasm.

Loading editor
    • Thanks? What I'm trying to do is get FANDOM to say how big its QA team is.

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.