FANDOM

• I was attempting to follow the Help article for infoboxes in order to figure out how to use horizontal formatting, though I spent some time blearily stumbling around in an attempt to figure it out on my own. In doing so, I found that attempting to create a template and edit formatting via the source editor resulted in a blank infobox. While I thought I may have been incorrectly coding, I found that even the default templates now appear blank and are unusable, unless I'm missing something. Attempting to use one of the default infoboxes on an article yields the following:

Infobox 01

When viewing the page in source editing mode, the template appears as follows:

Infobox 02

I cannot for the life of me retrace my steps to figure out what I might have botched up, so I apologize if this isn't enough to go on. If there's no way to fix this, would it be possible to delete my wiki and start over?

Loading editor
    • Addendum: Manually inputting infobox paramaters via source editing mode seems to work. The problem, it seems, is with templates, and possibly the template builder.

Loading editor
    • Can you provide a link to your wiki?

Loading editor
    • Monochromatic Bunny wrote:
      Can you provide a link to your wiki?

https://encyclopediaaltirus.fandom.com/wiki/Encyclopedia_Altirus_Wiki

Narrowed my issue down to templates not wanting to work, maybe due to something I screwed up. I have nevertheless been able to hammer out an infobox via source editing. Let me know if you find anything relating to the issue.

Cheers!

Loading editor
    • For clarification purposes, the main issue here is that you're having trouble using the visual editor to fill out an infobox, or am I mistaken?

Loading editor
      For clarification purposes, the main issue here is that you're having trouble using the visual editor to fill out an infobox, or am I mistaken?

Sorry for the confusion. The main issue is that I cannot seem to create or insert templates in visual mode. For example, if I try to use the Infobox Builder, the result will appear blank, only showing the header. This is the case both on the template's page, and on any article in which I try to insert it. I can only make an infobox work as intended by manually inputting parameters in source editing mode, since those parameters are not included by default (as shown in the second image of the original post).

Loading editor
    • This is likely a UCP related problem...

Merge-arrow Starting March 11, 2020, new wikis use the Unified Community Platform (UCP). Fandom has also started to convert some older wikis to UCP. UCP wikis currently have less functionality than pre-UCP wikis and are missing many legacy features. Fandom is continuing to work on adding/porting some missing features. For a user-compiled list of bugs, please see this page.
        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      This is likely a UCP related problem...
      Merge-arrow Starting March 11, 2020, new wikis use the Unified Community Platform (UCP). Fandom has also started to convert some older wikis to UCP. UCP wikis currently have less functionality than pre-UCP wikis and are missing many legacy features. Fandom is continuing to work on adding/porting some missing features. For a user-compiled list of bugs, please see this page.

Guess I missed that, I just set up my wiki yesterday. Seeing some other bugs on the list I was going to ask about, so thank you for sending this my way!

Loading editor
    • We sympathize with those who made UCP wikis...

Loading editor
    • I'm not having any trouble using the visual editor on your wiki to insert an infobox or its parameters. Perhaps the issue may be on your end, or you're not using the visual editor correctly.

These are the steps I used when attempting to create an infobox on a random page:

1. Open VisualEditor
      2. Insert -> Infobox (Military Conflict)
      3. Click "Add more information"
      4. Choose a field from the list that it gives you, or click "Show more fields" if you don't see the field on the initial list.

Once you click on a field, the editor will display a text box for you to insert the value for the field. You can see the clickable fields in your first image, for example "name" or "image".

Loading editor
      I'm not having any trouble using the visual editor on your wiki to insert an infobox or its parameters. Perhaps the issue may be on your end, or you're not using the visual editor correctly.

These are the steps I used when attempting to create an infobox on a random page:

1. Open VisualEditor
      2. Insert -> Infobox (Military Conflict)
      3. Click "Add more information"
      4. Choose a field from the list that it gives you, or click "Show more fields" if you don't see the field on the initial list.

Once you click on a field, the editor will display a text box for you to insert the value for the field. You can see the clickable fields in your first image, for example "name" or "image".

Maybe I'm going nuts, but I could've sworn the "Add more information" checkboxes didn't work when I tried them, or maybe the act of me ticking said checkboxes was a caffeine-induced hallucination. Nevertheless, it worked this time. Much obliged!

Loading editor
    • I was so ready to blame UCP... but really what it was is I'd rather stab myself in the eye with an ebola-laced, radioactive power drill than use the Visual Editor.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.