FANDOM

• For very obvious reasons, nobody is getting CheckUser rights unless they hold some kind of FANDOM staff position. However, it still does occur that a wiki wants to block a user and their sockpuppets without needing to go through and block all of them. That is why I believe an option to autoblock any users that use the same IP address as this user should be considered. (The current "Automatically block the last IP address used by this user, and any subsequent IP addresses they try to edit from" only seems to work for anonymous users; not accounts.) It would allow a wiki's local staff to block a sockpuppet on their wiki without needing to get FANDOM involved in the situation.

Loading editor
    • This is a suggestion that may be better directed to staff through this form. It is unlikely that anyone who can consider this feature will see it on a forum post here as things often do get swept away in the activity of this wiki.

Loading editor
    • On wiki’s about a very popular topic, other people with the same IP may be blocked unfairly if that feature existed.

Loading editor
    • These features exist, they are just not available to regular admins... and rightly so. There are several privacy issues that prevent regular admins from having these abilities. Requesting these abilities is unlikely to succeed.

Loading editor
    • If we are going based on the help page, it would appear that admins used to have this ability. Regardless, I don't see how this would have to operate differently than the IP autoblock. That said, I thought the IP autoblock did prevent registered users.

Loading editor
    • I will point out that I was assuming the OP wanted a direct IP block and not the existing feature which probably works as intended, just not how the OP wants.

If you read it carefully: "Automatically block the last IP address used by this user, and any subsequent IP addresses they try to edit from"

This means blocking will block by username and not IP specifically, because there is no way to determine "any subsequent IP addresses they try to edit from" based on only the IP.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      These features exist, they are just not available to regular admins... and rightly so. There are several privacy issues that prevent regular admins from having these abilities. Requesting these abilities is unlikely to succeed.

I don't see how this presents privacy issues (other than associating accounts together, which I could already do) if I never see the IP address of the user. I was thinking to have a check box that does something like this (to better phrase it): "Automatically block the last IP address used by this user, and any subsequent IP addresses and users they try to edit from." Essentially, I am thinking more of an autoblock that applies to users as well.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      That said, I thought the IP autoblock did prevent registered users.

As far as I know, it does not.

Loading editor
    • CaillouFan wrote: On wiki’s about a very popular topic, other people with the same IP may be blocked unfairly if that feature existed.

I'd expect a larger wiki to have staff that would do a better job than autoblocking with users for a long time; however, I can't deny that this is a valid issue. If that really becomes an issue, it seems like a maximum time for IP+User autoblocks could be enforced.

Loading editor
    • So, you do know that if several different usernames come into the wiki though a shared IP, an IP block will block them all, even if you only wanted to block 1 of them?... it's not magic.

You don't want to give that kind of scattershot ability to just anybody.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      So, you do know that if several different usernames come into the wiki though a shared IP, an IP block will block them all, even if you only wanted to block 1 of them?... it's not magic.

You don't want to give that kind of scattershot ability to just anybody.

I didn't really think about that. It makes sense.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: I will point out that I was assuming the OP wanted a direct IP block and not the existing feature which probably works as intended, just not how the OP wants.

If you read it carefully: "Automatically block the last IP address used by this user, and any subsequent IP addresses they try to edit from"

This means blocking will block by username and not IP specifically, because there is no way to determine "any subsequent IP addresses they try to edit from" based on only the IP.

I was talking about a different option that is no longer available. If you go to Help:Blocking#Step-by-step, there is an image. If you examine the image closely, you will see that there are 4 check boxes instead of 3. The 4th item says "Prevent logged-in users from editing from this IP address". I suppose this option could be limited to certain usergroups above admins but I don't see any dedicated permission for it in Special:ListGroupRights.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, I used to have that right on my admins, but I suspect it got removed because of GDPR or something similar.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.