FANDOM

• MisterWoodhouse
    MisterWoodhouse closed this thread because:
    New thread time
    17:42, June 4, 2020

Hey gang!

Sorry for no highlights last week. The two releases we did were mostly to set up additional work and there weren't user-facing changes to highlight.

This week is a bit different, so pitter patter, let's get at 'er.

Message notification bug

Yesterday, we hotfixed the UCP bug that prevented messages from triggering notifications for users. Please let us know if you still see this happening!

Deeplinking messages

You can now deeplink with Message Wall posts

Odd errors and warnings

We fixed a big crop of bizarre errors and warnings that shouldn't have been happening.

Closed duplicate wikis

Wikis closed for being in violation of the new duplicate wiki policy now correctly show the This Wiki Has Been Closed page for 30 days before going to the This Wiki Does Not Exist page.

Password changing

Special:ChangePassword has been fixed.

SVG Rename

Renaming SVGs no longer breaks them.

WikiaInYourLang

The WikiaInYourLang extension has been updated to work on the UCP

---

And now for an important message about Image Links...

A fix is targeted for next week!

---

Forgot two!

The Google Maps extension (Maps) is now on UCP

Subpages are now activated by default in the main namespace

Loading editor
    • Special:ChangePassword has been fixed.

its fixed but its not listed on Special:Preferences?

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp wrote:

Special:ChangePassword has been fixed.

its fixed but its not listed on Special:Preferences?

Yeah. The placement on preferences was unrelated to the fix ticket.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Mad props for the Letterkenny reference.

Loading editor
    • FishTank wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Mad props for the Letterkenny reference.

That's a Texas sized 10-4.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Deeplinking messages

Assume, purely for the sake of the argument of course, I'm an idiot who has no idea what that means.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Deeplinking messages

Assume, purely for the sake of the argument of course, I'm an idiot who has no idea what that means.

I believe it means you can get a link to individual message wall posts or replies and the link actually works, but I could be wrong.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Tupka217 wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Deeplinking messages

I believe it means you can get a link to individual message wall posts or replies and the link actually works, but I could be wrong.

individual posts, you can't link threads. you can get the link by either just clicking on the post title or text, or in the dropdown

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Deeplinking messages

Deeplinking is simply a direct link to a specific post, not just the general parent page it's on. The link has a more complex (some might call it confusing) structure, but it does take you directly to the bit of content you want.

Loading editor
    • Was hoping it was fixing links to the message wall appearing as redlinks (though they still work), but that's useful as well

Loading editor
    • Himmalerin wrote: Was hoping it was fixing links to the message wall appearing as redlinks (though they still work), but that's useful as well

Are you talking about user talk links or specific message wall links? I ask because we fixed a redirect issue with talk to wall.

Loading editor
    • I'm talking about when I try to link to my message wall by typing something like Message Wall:Himmalerin ([[Message Wall:Himmalerin]]).

Instead of treating it like an actual page (blue link) it gets treated (correctly? I guess) as a page that doesn't exist (red link). User talk also gets treated as a page that doesn't exist despite correctly redirecting when clicked:

2020-05-28-150208 201x66 scrot

It's a visible issue on my wreckit-woodhouse profile, though the User talk link on that page "works" (blue link) since I created it before the redirect went into affect.

Loading editor
    • MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Tupka217 wrote:

MisterWoodhouse wrote:

Deeplinking messages

Deeplinking is simply a direct link to a specific post, not just the general parent page it's on. The link has a more complex (some might call it confusing) structure, but it does take you directly to the bit of content you want.

Well, depending on how the page is structured deeplinking can open a normally inaccessible separate page version of a post/reply or just jump to the post/reply in the original context, so just saying "deeplinking" without details is still kind of ambiguous.

For example, if a page is constructed of subpages transcluded together, but those subpages are normally not accessible unless the deeplink has some kind of key to show it, you can just see the subpage with a deeplink. However most deeplinks would just be an anchor that scrolls you to where the subpage is rendered in the main page.

Loading editor
    • Looks like the deeplinking doesn't work for replies, only the first post of a wall thread...

https://chiosschoolroad.fandom.com/wiki/Message_Wall:Fandyllic

When I click the three-dot menu on the reply it has no Copy Link option.

Loading editor
    • Deeplinks for replies are still coming, so that is known. And in this case, the deeplink functions as an anchor, scrolling you to the intended wall message (thread). It doesn't open a subpage.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, so this is why using the term 'deeplink' without details is kind of ambiguous. Also using the term 'posts' is problematic too, because people often refer to replies as posts.

Loading editor
    • Using Special:UserRenameTool does not update username on UCP wikis.

Loading editor
    • Iguana Oof
      Iguana Oof removed this reply because:
      21:13, May 31, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • What is WikiaInYourLang? I cannot find any information on this.

Loading editor
    • Theunknown404 wrote: What is WikiaInYourLang? I cannot find any information on this.

It's an extension that notifies a user if a language variant of the wiki they are viewing exists in their language.

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.