FANDOM

• Hello uwu, around a month ago I started up a wiki but was unaware of the new wiki engine that Fandom has installed for all wiki's created past March 11th. This is irreversible and as of right now I'm not very pleased with this new engine, as many things are still either in beta testing or aren't even compatible yet. I would like to use the older version of Fandom but I don't have any older wikis to use.

I would like to ask if anyone were willing to donate an older unused wiki they own (created before March 11th) and transfer ownership? I know that this is a very selfish request...I'm sorry...but I would greatly appreciate it. I'm much more experienced with how the old version worked, and I would love to be able to work with it on my wiki.

Loading editor
    • That'd be completely pointless. Because that wiki will still be ported over, and you'll have to learn how to use it then. Best get used to the new normal.

Loading editor
    • Alrightie then...thankies anyhow :3

Loading editor
    • It's going to take some time for everyone to get used to it. I've started making some drafts for pages in a test wiki just to get a hang of the new editors.

Loading editor
    • My main issue with the new engine is not being able to activate the JavaScript and whatnot. I've also tried porting certain templates from wiki's using the older engine and they just don't work sometimes. I've been working with the new one for about a month and it just really isn't to my liking yet. Hopefully I'll get used to it eventually.

Loading editor
    • Those features will become available eventually. Make a note of what you want that doesn't work yet and address it later; work on what you can for now and use placeholders. Apart from user-end tools, js should be avoided as much as possible for content.

Loading editor
    • Oki, I'll see what I can do uwu

Loading editor
    • We feel your pain. Also, I disagree about using JS for content... some of the best content (fancy tooltip popups are a good example) needs JS.

I suggest you complain in detail to FANDOM staff here: https://fandom.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000940393

Loading editor
    • I agree, I would love to use JS to make more fancy content. As a graphic designer and a mod on another wiki, the JS is so useful and needed.

Loading editor
    • From what I can tell, the whole "JS is evil" attitude is because it doesn't work on mobile and Fandom (as well as most other web developers) are absolutely fixated on mobile viewing. My opinion is that desktop users shouldn't have to dumb down their content just to mobile users can keep-up.

Loading editor
    • Tbh I'm not a fan of Fandom's mobile version either, I always switch it to desktop view.

I sent my complaint but they did nothing, I just got the typical bot reply that didn't even address my complaints.

Loading editor
    • When did you send the complaint? They don't reply on weekends.

Loading editor
    • I sent it yesterday, however staff did reply a few hours after my complaint was qeued.

Loading editor
    • Based on what you said, I think you just got the auto-reply. They send that first to let you know it was received. Chances are no one has actually looked at it yet.

Loading editor
    • Yeah I got that first message, then a few hours later I got another reply from one of the staff, Courtenay.

Loading editor
    • I see. I guess there is nothing to do bu wait then.

Loading editor
    • Yeah unfortunately... I've been trying my best with UCP but it just really isn't to my liking. I love the new design but other than that it feels like a downgrade.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.