FANDOM

• Hello I wanted to know how to create page tabbers on a wiki. Are there instructions on this wiki with how to do that? I've seen the way Goosebumps Wiki does it and I want to so something similar. I've figured some things out, but it still seems complicated. 

Loading editor
    • You might want to read through Help:Tabber since it contains some wikitext instructions.

Loading editor
    • It is not working. I was wondering how these kind of tabbers work: 
      Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 4.00.21 PM

I really like these and I want to color code them so that each tabber has a different color. I looked at the code in source editor but it seems complicated. I was wondering if you could break this down for me or if there is a site on Fandom that shows tutorials on creating tabbers like these. 

Loading editor
    • Can you link the wiki here @Mountain4567?

Most likely it could be a UCP problem despite not being mentioned and documented in User:Noreplyz/UCP

Loading editor
    • https://goosebumps.fandom.com/wiki/Welcome_to_Dead_House

And another thing was that Andrewds1021 told me that some help pages on how-to guides are not up to date, so I can't always find the information that I'm looking for. 

Loading editor
    • So what do you recommend? Do you think you can show me or is there a place where I can find information on this?

Loading editor
    • I think it’s best to simply create this page: User:Mountain4567/Sandbox and try to use the code from Help:Tabber.

Loading editor
    • Can I ask Andrewds1021 and see what he thinks? Because I tried the tabbers here and it did not work, and I want to color-code them too.

Loading editor
    • Sure, I’ll let him explain it more.

Loading editor
    • The code used on Goosebumps Wiki has really nothing to do with Help:Tabber. Instead, that wiki is using Template:Tabber/Book, Template:TabberSelect, Template:TabberNoSelect, and Template:Spacing and probably some CSS to create their page tabbers. If you want to recreate that, you would need to copy at least the first three templates over (with credit to that wiki!), and use it exactly the same way as on that wiki.

Loading editor
    • I tried doing that, but I need to some more explanation. The code is really difficult for me to figure out. I would prefer a step-by step instruction. 

Loading editor
    • Yes, most people would not give you the advice of dabbling yourself in such complicated coding right from the start either. If you've already gone a long way and copied those 4 templates and tried it somewhere, you can link your efforts here and we can look at what's wrong. It's good to start from the basic functionalities and go to design from there though.

Loading editor
    • Okay...but I would still like an explanation to help me understand how this code works. I figured out the colors. Let me explain what I'm trying to do: these tabbers will each say: Midtown Madness 1, Midtown Madness 2, and Midtown Madness 3. They will all be in different colors. Midtown Madness 1 will be yellow, Midtown Madness 2 will be red, and Midtown Madness 3 will be white.  

https://midtownmadness.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Tabber/MM1

Loading editor
    • Then you're looking for more CSS, not specifically related to the tabber itself. Although the tabber itself has some questionable coding, the main thing you should know about it here is the #ifexist statements. There is more information about it on the MediaWiki page. There is also {{PAGENAME}} which is just a dynamic function for the title of the page that the template is used on.

Loading editor
    • This code works in CSS?

Loading editor
    • Mountain4567 wrote:
      Okay...but I would still like an explanation to help me understand how this code works.

No, that was an explanation on the functionality of the code. 

If you're looking for the specific CSS, there are several things you could do, although I'm not the expert you should ask there. Do make sure that you also take a look at how the page looks on mobile, there are a lot of differences between desktop mode and mobile mode, and your wiki's functionality shouldn't rely too much on specific colors.

Loading editor
    • Mountain4567
      Mountain4567 removed this reply because:
      Not needed
      22:53, May 23, 2020
      This reply has been removed
    • I tried to use one of these fandom codes in my wiki like the page told me but nothing is happening.

https://dev.fandom.com/wiki/TabberDesign And I have an idea. Can you copy the CSS code used to create those tabbers? Beacause the link above shows how to do so. Maybe this will give me a better idea. Could you maybe ask Andrewds1021 about this?

Loading editor
    • The tabbers in Goosebumps wiki would be changed in CSS code, right?

Loading editor
    • I haven't had a look at the Goosebumps template yet but I will say this right now. When things have similar names, it does not necessarily mean they work together. TabberDesign is meant to style Tabber; not the fake tabs you are trying to replicate from the Goosebumps wiki.

Loading editor
    • But it still works like normal page tabbers would, correct? And does it work through CSS?  I've seen other wikis that use page tabbers to seperate content within an article page. I wanted to create page tabbers like those only with this styling. 

https://goosebumps.fandom.com/wiki/Template%3ATabber

Loading editor
    • Or here's another way, do you know where I can find a fandom community about creating page tabbers?

Loading editor
    • Page tabs are not actual tabs but links styled to look like tabs. So no, they don't work the same as normal page tabbers. I took a look at the book tab and there is quite a lot going on in there. If you have a question about a specific aspect, please say so. The colors of the various components are hard-coded into the template at various stages.

Loading editor
    • Hello, yes, I've looked at the coding. And if I think of any questions, I'll let you know.

Loading editor
    • I need to ask a question not related to this tread. How do I look at pages on a Wiki that have been imported?

Loading editor
    • The same way you look at any other page? Or do you mean you want to identify which pages have been imported?

Loading editor
    • Identify which pages have been imported.

Loading editor
    • You can look at Special:Log/import.

Loading editor
    • Does not work. I typed it in the search bar.  Or actually, will this show that information too? https://midtownmadness.fandom.com/wiki/Special%3ALog

Loading editor
    • Yes. That is the page I was trying to direct you too. You can select "import log" as a filter criteria or you can go to Special:Log/import.

Loading editor
    • Okay.

Loading editor
    • Do you know how to change the header colors of this infobox?:

https://midtownmadness.fandom.com/wiki/Template%3AMM2_Car

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • Normally, you should be able to do that using accent colors. However, they aren't working for some reason. The solution you tried is the next beast option but you did not fully implemented it. In order to use the type in CSS, you must assign it a type like this.

<infobox type="MM2-Car"></infobox>

I have already put this in for you but you will need to change your CSS to use the hyphen instead of a space. The value of the type attribute get's turned into a HTML class and HTML classes cannot have spaces in them because spaces are used to indicate separate classes.

Edit:

Oh. Actually they do work. I was just using it wrong. Sorry. I have never actually had to use accent colors for my own infoboxes so I am not as familiar with them.

Loading editor
    • So, how exactly do you type it in CSS? 

Loading editor
    • The CSS is no longer needed now that accent colors is being used.

Loading editor
    • Oh, sorry, I get it now. I thought you were still using CSS. Okay, It's done. 

Loading editor
    • The font colors of headers, do you change these through HTML as well? Becuase In one template that I changed. It has white font over yellow headers and this makes it hard to read.  https://midtownmadness.fandom.com/wiki/Template:MM1_Car

Loading editor
    • Yes, it's possible to change the tabber font colors through HTML.

Also, I'd honestly suggest using a tabview instead of a bunch of templates to replicate what they have on the Goosebumps Wiki:

https://community.fandom.com/wiki/Help:Tab_view

Loading editor
    • What do you type in HTML?

Loading editor
    • Something like:

<div style="color: blue; text-shadow: 0 0 4px;">
      <tabber>Tabber 1=
      Content
      |-|Tabber 2=
      Content
      </tabber>
      </div>
        Loading editor
    • Actually, this is for this infobox: https://midtownmadness.fandom.com/wiki/Template:MM1_Car. The problem is that you can't see the font while it's white when the infobox color is bright. I want to change the font to black. 

Loading editor
    • Put this in Wikia.css:

.pi-item {
         color: black !important;
      }
        Loading editor
    • Does this change the color for all infoboxes or only this infobox? I only want to change one type of infobox.

Loading editor
    • In that case, edit the infobox, change the first line to  <infobox accent-color-default="#ffff00" type="car">, and add this instead to Wikia.css:

.portable-infobox.type-car .pi-item {
      }
        Loading editor
    • It's not doing anything. Could you check it out?

Loading editor
    • Messed up the code, my bad:

.portable-infobox.type-car .pi-item {
      }
        Loading editor
    • It works, thank you! The question I had was: Would it be better to post a new trend in another forum?

Loading editor
    • Yes. A new thread would have been a good idea. However, now that we are already on the topic, it is best to keep it here.

Since yellow is the default color for your infoboxes, I would suggest just making the color change for all infoboxes.

.portable-infobox .pi-title,
      .portable-infobox .pi-header {
          color: black;
      }
        Loading editor
    • The Idea was to have different colored infoboxes, to seperate different content, but thank you.

Loading editor
    • Mountain4567 wrote:
      It works, thank you! The question I had was: Would it be better to post a new trend in another forum?

If you specifically want help from Andrewds1021, since you've asked specifically for his help in the first few replies, it might have been better to post on his wall, instead of wasting the time of users you don't want to reply.

Loading editor
    • I am pretty sure that is not what Mountain4567 meant. But if it was, then you are of course correct. However, as i have said to other users, it is generally a good idea to not look for help from just one specific user. As has been demonstrated many times, there are times I overlook things, misunderstand, or just don't know the answer even though there is one. Having other users see the thread is, in my opinion, a good idea.

Loading editor
    • Mountain4567 wrote: And another thing was that Andrewds1021 told me that some help pages on how-to guides are not up to date, so I can't always find the information that I'm looking for. 

Mountain4567 wrote: Can I ask Andrewds1021 and see what he thinks? Because I tried the tabbers here and it did not work, and I want to color-code them too. 

Mountain4567 wrote: Maybe this will give me a better idea. Could you maybe ask Andrewds1021 about this?

I'm pretty sure that that sounds like they specifically wanted help from a single user, especially after they mostly ignored the replies that were given to him beforehand. Because they posted it here, other users were willing to help (and tried!), but ignoring replies and just referring back to "can you/I ask them" sounds like they didn't come here to get help from anyone else.

Loading editor
    • You guys are helpful too, but sometimes I can't always find the information that I'm looking for, even on help pages too. When I find the information that I need then I don't ask. And sometimes, it feels like the best thing to do would be to ask someone because these pages contain a lot of information, and difficult to keep track off, I just need someone to help me on the right track rather than just direct me to page that I have looked at before. 

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.