FANDOM

• So at the bottom of a wiki page, users with permission to edit on the wiki (e.g. logged in if required) can add categories.

From what I understand, someone could for example add 10 random categories like "cheese" or whatever for no reason?

And it doesn't keep things consistent. Any way to stop users from adding new categories?

Like, so they can just pick from a list of exisitng categories. Correct me if i'm wrong, thanks.

Loading editor
    • just ban them.

Loading editor
    • Fngplg wrote:
      just ban them.

That is not what i'm asking.

I'm not having issues, but wondering if i can limit the addition of categories to keep things consistent and manageable.

Loading editor
    • You can set up an AbuseFilter to prevent the addition of categories. This can, however, not distinguish between existing and new categories.

Loading editor
    • Wouldn't blocking all categories be a customization policy violation though?

Loading editor
    • There is great potential for Customization Policy violation iwth AF and it's not quite clear where the limits are.

Loading editor
    • In my experience, adding/removing categories is a regular editing privilege; as such it cannot be restricted. As a first line of defense, you should explain how categorization is done on the wiki of interest; if this does not work, you might want to block the editor in question.

Loading editor
    • Based on Readible's comments, I don't think there is a problematic user. I believe Readable just wants to pre-preemptively protect against such users.

Loading editor
    • @Andrewds1021.

Agreed. But fandom is not built this way. One can only prevent an act of bad editing from recurring, by either protecting a page or blocking a misguided editor.

Loading editor
    • I do indeed have no problematic user, was just curious. Thanks everyone!

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.