FANDOM

• I have noticed wikis about games and sometimes movies, but what else? Are you able to make wikis just for chat? And what about wikis for raising awareness for things?

Also, did I put this thread in the right place?

Loading editor
    • You can't make wikis about personal projects or things to raise awareness, but you can make wikis about very personal or uncommon interests, e.g. Chicken Wiki. (It's ironic the I write this, my name is "DaChickenKing")

As of the last question, no, this could of gone in the "getting started" section. This section is for people who are an admin/bureaucraut of a wiki and need help customizing it and designing it.

Loading editor
    • Oh. But, I have seen wikis about raising awareness I think.

Loading editor
    • Maybe I'm wrong, then, but I think those wikis should be closed. You can also ask Fandom employees directly here if you want.

Loading editor
    • Why? I think Fandom should be allowed to raise awareness as long as it follows the rules.

Loading editor
    • Again, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you can't because such wikis would be more personal projects, but I'm not sure. You can contact Fandom or wait for a response from somebody else to clear that up.

Loading editor
    • Maybe. They might notice this thread, or I could just contact them directly. I think I might want to wait for more answers, first.

Loading editor
    • FANDOM staff will likely not notice this thread.

@DaChickenKing is largely giving misinformation. If the wiki doesn't violate the Terms of Use, it is probably okay and and depending on what you're trying to raise awareness about, FANDOM even has the specific wikia.org domain for it.

But the real issue is that you are beating around the bush and aren't giving any specific examples.

Loading editor
    • Okay. I'm going to read the Terms of Use.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      FANDOM staff will likely not notice this thread.

@DaChickenKing is largely giving misinformation. If the wiki doesn't violate the Terms of Use, it is probably okay and and depending on what you're trying to raise awareness about, FANDOM even has the specific wikia.org domain for it.

But the real issue is that you are beating around the bush and aren't giving any specific examples.

Wait- I thought you couldn't have personal wikis? Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am fairly new to Fandom.

Loading editor
    • Yeah. I am also new.

Loading editor
    • You may be confusing personal wikis with personal and private wikis, which aren't allowed. Tons of experienced wiki admins/editors have personal wikis... I for example have Fandyllic wiki.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      You may be confusing personal wikis with personal and private wikis, which aren't allowed. Tons of experienced wiki admins/editors have personal wikis... I for example have Fandyllic wiki.

Ah, I see. Sorry for that!

Loading editor
    • Maybe you can make a teir list like i did for a game like this:Pubg weapons list

Loading editor
    • Well, I have another question. Is it possible to have multiple wikis with similar topics?

Loading editor
    • FlowerButterfly wrote:
      Well, I have another question. Is it possible to have multiple wikis with similar topics?

It used to be, but I believe that the new UCP wikis are subject to a "no duplicate wiki" policy.

Loading editor
    • Okay.

Loading editor
    • The criteria for what constitutes a "duplicate" aren't known, so it doesn't hurt to try.

Loading editor
    • I tried 

Loading editor
    • Its not enforced 

Loading editor
    • I read the Terms of Use, and I either misread, or there is no rule for having to make wikis unique. I have also seen many wikis that are very similar to each other, but both were successful.

Loading editor
    • FlowerButterfly wrote: I read the Terms of Use, and I either misread, or there is no rule for having to make wikis unique. I have also seen many wikis that are very similar to each other, but both were successful.

It's a recent change instituted on March 11. It's not in the Terms of Use because Terms of Use isn't a catch-all set of rules; just because something is not mentioned in them doesn't mean it cannot be mentioned in any other policy.

Loading editor
    • Yes I know, but like I said, there are some wikis that are very similar to each other.

Loading editor
    • There are plenty that are similar to each other. But the new policy applies only to new wikis, not retroactively. So you cannot make a similar wiki anymore.

Loading editor
    • Okay. Now, I am getting many notifacations from this even though I'd say that my question is now answered, so I'll probably unfollow this now. If you need to talk to me, then do it on my talk page.

Loading editor
    • Since Fandyllic didn't say what a private wiki is, I am going to mention it just to make sure everyone understands. Whether or not a wiki is considered private has nothing to do with the topic of the wiki. What the term pertains to is whether or not the wiki is open to editing. Wikis that requires users to be on a whitelist in order to edit are considered private wikis. If can be a wiki about a country and still be considered a private wiki if editing is restricted. It can be an wiki on a personal fanfic and won't be considered a private wiki as long as other users are allowed to edit.

As for personal test wikis, they are definitely allowed. In fact, it is one of the options you can select when asked to justify why an apparently overlapping wiki is not a suitable choice for your content.

Loading editor
    • Is the UCP "no duplicate wiki" policy written down somewhere? I think it was only mentioned in a blog at best, but I don't remember which one. I'm pretty sure it isn't an official FANDOM policy, just something they are doing at this point in the UCP dev process.

Loading editor
    • It's mentioned in the CreateNewWiki flow, and enforced pretty strictly.

Loading editor
    • So you will only see it when you try to create a new wiki? Not a great way to advertise a policy.

Loading editor
    • It is part of the Community Creation Policy.

Loading editor
    • But it says "should not"... that is a weak statement. Also I wonder when they added that... the parent Terms of Use is dated Jan 29, 2020, but the Community Creation Policy has no date.

Loading editor
    • DaChickenKing wrote:
      This section is for people who are an admin/bureaucraut of a wiki and need help customizing it and designing it.

I believe you were wrong there, this is general discussion for general fandom topics?

Admin help goes in WIki Design or Technical Help. I felt the need to point this out.

Loading editor
    • Readible wrote:
      DaChickenKing wrote:
      This section is for people who are an admin/bureaucraut of a wiki and need help customizing it and designing it.
      I believe you were wrong there, this is general discussion for general fandom topics?

Admin help goes in WIki Design or Technical Help. I felt the need to point this out.

Yes, the topic got moved. He originally placed it in the wrong board.

Loading editor
    • DaChickenKing wrote:
      Readible wrote:
      DaChickenKing wrote:

Yes, the topic got moved. He originally placed it in the wrong board.

Aah, I see! Now it all makes sense.

Loading editor
    • LOL half the posts are in the wrong board...

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.